Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Skunkduster posted:

Using a Neptune 2. Been having a lot of problems with the prints peeling up from the bed. It doesn't seem to be an adhesion problem because the first 10-15 layers work fine.

From that pic, it sure looks like an adhesion problem, especially from how the skirt came apart - if your first layer is sticking well, it won’t do that. Clean your bed with isopropyl, level your bed, tune that Z adjust and see if your problems persist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Add "mouse ears"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Clean with soap and water. And scrub it with a yellow scrub pad

But, after you rinse, watch how the water beads up. If it lays like a sheet then it's not clean, the water should actively hate the pei sheet and sheep right off.

I soap it up and scrub again until it's doing that. The alcohol is fine for between print wipes but after this clean, and dry. If you don't touch the bed, you should be good to print. IPA just pushes the oil around, soap and water actually remove the crap

This little bit of info changes my adhesion when I was 'bur I washed it, why is it not working? '

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't find that PLA has particularly great adhesion on textured PEI. That also seems like a potential bed heat issue, as PLA shouldn't really warp *that* badly. It can, but only in pretty weird circumstances.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Also PLA likes cooling, like, the second it leaves the nozzle and sticks. Crank that fan up if you can. Enclosure? open it.

You can lower the bed temps because its uneven cooling from the cooler top vs the constantly warm bottom. There is always tuning your squish too, texture wants a tad more.

And its been mentioned here before, glue is awesome. Just slather some on. Make your stuff stick, why play with the few degrees of heat / cold when you can use mechanical means to do so

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't find that PLA has particularly great adhesion on textured PEI. That also seems like a potential bed heat issue, as PLA shouldn't really warp *that* badly. It can, but only in pretty weird circumstances.

I dunno, I've gone through probably 30+ rolls of PLA on my P1P with the included textured sheet and have had 0 adhesion issues with it. I usually have to wait for it to cool all the way down before the print will pop off the plate.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If the ambient temp of the room is low and/or there are any droughts this will also not help with adhesion and warping but as has already been said that skirt suggests other more pressing adjustments needed..

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Those with direct drive, are you seeing excessive stringing ? I was running PLA at 220, ABS at 250, and I have noticed bad stringing with various brands lately, with brand new, dried, and old stuff left out.

Interestingly this was not a problem with some Orange KVP and I ran some retraction tests and i see evidence that this particular PLA wants 185, and hatchbox abs wants 230. I also have my retraction up to 1mm @ 30mm/sec. Am I just still too wet or is this my new life now, looking at a bigger retract? Ellis suggests that 1mm is pretty much your max for DD unless something is really trash.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Roundboy posted:

Those with direct drive, are you seeing excessive stringing ? I was running PLA at 220, ABS at 250, and I have noticed bad stringing with various brands lately, with brand new, dried, and old stuff left out.

Interestingly this was not a problem with some Orange KVP and I ran some retraction tests and i see evidence that this particular PLA wants 185, and hatchbox abs wants 230. I also have my retraction up to 1mm @ 30mm/sec. Am I just still too wet or is this my new life now, looking at a bigger retract? Ellis suggests that 1mm is pretty much your max for DD unless something is really trash.

Try a new nozzle. Worn nozzles can make stringing a big issue. Also, over-retraction can do the same. Unless you're running some wild long melt zone, 1mm seems.. a lot.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I'm thinking of selling my Prusa Mini and going to this setup:

Kobra Max
X1C
Prusa MK3s (already own this, no reason to sell or part with it)

plus my resin unit.

thoughts?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Try a new nozzle. Worn nozzles can make stringing a big issue. Also, over-retraction can do the same. Unless you're running some wild long melt zone, 1mm seems.. a lot.

It's a new . 6 nozzle, but it was doing it on the .4 as well. I do wonder if my wipes a long the brass brush are causing premature wear, but I can always check

I am trying 1.5mm now, but I guess I can start on a new nozzle with very little retraction and go from there

I really hope I don't need to take apart the extruder gears(again)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I do get a bit of stringing/wisps but I haven’t gone to any special lengths to eliminate it, for me I think it’s largely a side effect of the Volcano hotend my printer runs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Whenever I get a wispy print I hit it with a 1-second blast from a heat gun and that almost always makes it presentable

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Same, I keep a torch lighter in my printer toolbox for wisps and small strings.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's not just whisps, think of the traditional 4 post retract tower and all sides have basically a net between them.

I fixed it largely with temp, but I have some other artifacts on seams or small pointy areas, like gorn tops, etc. I really just need to wipe it all away and do some specific testing and tweaking

I dumped the latest PS and went back to the last stable SS, but I wonder if the issue I had were hardware vs slicer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Roundboy posted:

It's a new . 6 nozzle, but it was doing it on the .4 as well. I do wonder if my wipes a long the brass brush are causing premature wear, but I can always check

I am trying 1.5mm now, but I guess I can start on a new nozzle with very little retraction and go from there

I really hope I don't need to take apart the extruder gears(again)
I think you're going in the wrong direction. My ABS profile is 0.5mm@40mm/s and temps of 240/110.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ilkhan posted:

I think you're going in the wrong direction. My ABS profile is 0.5mm@40mm/s and temps of 240/110.

i agree? My original temps were in the 230s, then i swapped away from the latest beta superslicer and redid the ellis KVP profile in the stable one which uses 250.

Somewhere in there i swapped to .6 (but .4 did it) and printed out that nasa chainmail that worked out awesomely in KVP, but when i tried some PLA i got crazy stringing... hich madew me drop PLA from 215 to 180 as tested via retraction tower, then i swapped to ABS because that always worked for me, and THAT started stringing like a champ.

Oh i had some TPU and PETG for funs in there, but i expected stringing.

Now that i type all that out loud i think i just need to go back to square 1 w/ ellis and tune it all again to see where i went wrong. I can go back to .4 as the .6 is fast, but its just not worth the speed w/ stringing. Im still printing everything @ .2 layer anyway

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Put on the 0.6 and tune for that.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Without arachne? I might just re restart and end up with PS again with the changes that are now in main.

I just hate the fact the width and flow percentages are based on a complete new standard (layer vs nozzle) compared to SS

I just need to pick some numbers and tune, and test test test.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Roundboy posted:

Clean with soap and water. And scrub it with a yellow scrub pad

But, after you rinse, watch how the water beads up. If it lays like a sheet then it's not clean, the water should actively hate the pei sheet and sheep right off.

I soap it up and scrub again until it's doing that. The alcohol is fine for between print wipes but after this clean, and dry. If you don't touch the bed, you should be good to print. IPA just pushes the oil around, soap and water actually remove the crap

This little bit of info changes my adhesion when I was 'bur I washed it, why is it not working? '

This is good info, much better said than I have done. I do the same when I wash my beds and watch how the water interacts with the bed, really helps me understand how dirty it is.

My one tip to add to this would be buying cheap "magic eraser" sponges, they are a really good for doing the scrubbing!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Actually I would hesitate on a magic eraser. I'm talking about those yellow sponges with the green scrub side, whereas I am under the impression a magic eraser might actually rub the coating off, as it actually acts like a very fine sandpaper

Magic eraser is not recommended for painted or non stick surfaces, etc as it wears down really well

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

For something like PEI, it might be better to go with a stronger detergent, rather than scrubbing. Dilute 4:1 and zap it in the microwave until hot. Wear gloves and safety glasses to avoid chemical burns (contains sodium hydroxide).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh. dishwashing soap and a bit of elbow grease is more than enough.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ryanrs posted:

For something like PEI, it might be better to go with a stronger detergent, rather than scrubbing. Dilute 4:1 and zap it in the microwave until hot. Wear gloves and safety glasses to avoid chemical burns (contains sodium hydroxide).
See the problem with fdm printing vs resin is there just aren't enough chemical hazards involved.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, some regular old Dawn dish soap has always served me well, never needed to use anything stronger.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I got an X1 Carbon last week and it's been great so far, though the glue stick is a bit annoying. I ordered a PEI sheet. It arrived today and I realized the first layer inspection doesn't work on it.

This seems unfortunate but the surface finish and no glue is awesome so I'm probably going to keep using the PEI.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hueforge with midjourney is a cool combo

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.

w00tmonger posted:

Hueforge with midjourney is a cool combo

That is awesome! Nice work. I have such a tough time making such dramatic colors work like that. Most of my prints are different shades of the same color.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is there a good tutorial on hueforge?
Everything I've watched so far has amounted to "uh you just uhhhhh move these sliders until it looks good"

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sockser posted:

Is there a good tutorial on hueforge?
Everything I've watched so far has amounted to "uh you just uhhhhh move these sliders until it looks good"

Not really,but the discord has been. A handy resource. Other than that, just a bit of YouTube stuff from the developer

Don't think I have the discord link available, but you can always shoot him a message on the store like I did

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think a bit of IPA on a rag and using that to clean your PEI should be enough, unless there is like physical stuff there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally had the time to install this new bed. The printer turns on again

Only because this is a hell printer it now just starts heating the hot end as soon as you hit the on switch and the bed doesn't heat at all

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/769186746272317462/1127591168499265556/PXL_20230709_132330073.mp4

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I finally got around to upgrading the part cooling fan and duct on my S1, it looks a little unwieldy compared to the stock setup but I'm finally getting decent overhangs

Exps
Jun 14, 2008
I just recently read a bunch of posts here and decided to buy a P1P (thanks). Coming from an Ender 3 Pro, it's night and day. Ignoring the fact it took like ~10 mins to unbox the printer to printing a really good benchy, everything prints in a fraction of time at pretty good quality. I feel like I was printing in the stone ages, having to have my first few Ender prints being calibration cubes and those bed leveling test prints. Even worse, the upgrade prints and pre-buying springs/plates/etc. before you even print anything worth while.

Though one thing that isn't really brought up is that this printer really needs a stable surface as it shakes like a washing machine sometimes, especially during bed leveling. I already had some damping pads that I put under one of those Ikea coffee table to help with the vibration/noise. Overall, if I knew this printer would be this good, I would had bought the X1C.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

One of the big dangers with a Bambu though: you set aside one project you figure you'll sit working on over the summer, and it's already done by the time the summer vacation starts.

Makerbot T-Rex, the tweaked one on printables, at 200% scale, 0.2mm PLA. (White, spraypainted with GW Wraithbone for colour.)
(With the exception of the 'hold-y uppy' rod which is transparent PETG.)

The ominous creaking has subsided, but I really hope the (large amount of) hot glue will keep it stable.
If I did it again I'd probably find some kind of rubber cement or something to combine the joints.

Not entirely sure what the print time was in total since I redid the ribs a bit, but probably like 60-70 hours or so? It goes by pretty fast when you don't need to baby the machine.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

TwoDice posted:

I got an X1 Carbon last week and it's been great so far, though the glue stick is a bit annoying. I ordered a PEI sheet. It arrived today and I realized the first layer inspection doesn't work on it.

This seems unfortunate but the surface finish and no glue is awesome so I'm probably going to keep using the PEI.

Their "high temp" build sheet is smooth PEI, fwiw. (I also found the default cold plate & glue stick pretty :barf: to deal with for anything other than small stuff.)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

SubNat posted:

One of the big dangers with a Bambu though: you set aside one project you figure you'll sit working on over the summer, and it's already done by the time the summer vacation starts.

Makerbot T-Rex, the tweaked one on printables, at 200% scale, 0.2mm PLA. (White, spraypainted with GW Wraithbone for colour.)
(With the exception of the 'hold-y uppy' rod which is transparent PETG.)

The ominous creaking has subsided, but I really hope the (large amount of) hot glue will keep it stable.
If I did it again I'd probably find some kind of rubber cement or something to combine the joints.

Not entirely sure what the print time was in total since I redid the ribs a bit, but probably like 60-70 hours or so? It goes by pretty fast when you don't need to baby the machine.

A guy in my town printed one of these out at some huge size and donated it to the local children's museum.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have a carbon fiber pattern smooth PEI and a forged carbon pattern smooth PEO sheet. Both have held better across the board than the cool plate in my X1-C.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Yeah the cool plate / high temperature stickers for bambu are garbage, that I can easily agree on.

I've had issues with both of them quite a bit. Mine got screwed up early on, I have a few replacements but ehh. I bought a honeybadger PEI sheet that I've liked when I don't want a textured surface.

Sweet, looks awesome! I know the feeling of having many unfinished projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So...coming from FDM, I realized I have zero idea how to support things for resin. Been watching a few videos but it's mostly for miniatures & busts.

How would you go about supporting something like this? It's transparent so the less supports the better, but of course it has to print right for that to even matter. This is half an electronics shell/case.

The supports here are mostly just me loving around.
  • Should I be leaning this model back?
  • Do I need to support the entire bottom (build plate side) like I would with FDM?
  • Is the way I have it now where only the flatside is supported cause the box sides to warp?
  • What is the best way to support the details farther up the print? I feel like these thin ones will fail but I don't really know that.

Edit: Replaced the gray on gray

Round 2: Propbably Over Supported Edition. The edge is all heavy and the flat back is all light supports.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 10, 2023