Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Better than ending up with a new piercing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought the Milwaukee drywall screw gun with the flimsiest of justifications because I will never use it enough to justify the price, but man is it fun to just slam screws into walls

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought the Milwaukee drywall screw gun with the flimsiest of justifications because I will never use it enough to justify the price, but man is it fun to just slam screws into walls

saving time is a justification.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SpartanIvy posted:

Everyone needs a hobby.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Mambold posted:

Everyone needs a hobby.

I once had a job doing parts inspections in a tool and die shop. We had some tool that was a small crucible to melt lead, with a discharge valve on the bottom. I don't remember what it was actually for because we never used it. I think it was to somehow measure the interior volume of parts?

What we actually used it for was "making dimes." If you flicked the lever on the discharge valve it would drop lead out and make a little dime sized disk. If you did it fast enough, you could make little stacks of them. So obviously we'd have races to see who could make the most dimes in a given time period.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why can't there be a combo hammer and mallet, a mammer if you will

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

why not also a ratchet?

:sigh: now I have to remind myself I have absolutely no reason to buy this goofy thing

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 1, 2023

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

actionjackson posted:

why can't there be a combo hammer and mallet, a mammer if you will

I have a 30 lb sledge hammer I use for rusty crane boom pins. It kind of looks like a grey mallet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

why not also a ratchet?

:sigh: now I have to remind myself I have absolutely no reason to buy this goofy thing

I probably have an excuse.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait... A rachet is a hammer without needing hammer bits.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Now it's a bigger hammer

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i really only use a mallet to close paint cans without denting the top too badly though

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Wait... A rachet is a hammer without needing hammer bits.
Hammering is a minor secondary function for a regular ratchet. It can be a co-primary function for that one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i had to cut a bit of flooring and fortunatley my neighbor had a dremel attachment that he used to cut his tile. But not the new one where there is protection from the blade - just a half-moon blade with nothing between me and it. god that was terrifying, especially because I was doing it barefoot

i don't have many tools because i'm in a small condo and also don't like to have a lot of stuff, but i'm a big fan of my 2" (or 2.5") channel locks, and the stanley 6-in-1 screwdriver

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 1, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

i really only use a mallet to close paint cans without denting the top too badly though

This is why screwdrivers have handles.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

withak posted:

This is why screwdrivers have handles.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

This is probably my of-a-certain-age showing but all screwdrivers should be London-pattern Craftsman screwdrivers and using anything else to close a paint can is a federal offense.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

tracecomplete posted:

This is probably my of-a-certain-age showing but all screwdrivers should be London-pattern Craftsman screwdrivers and using anything else to close a paint can is a federal offense.

Weird way of spelling Felo wood handled screwdrivers, but agree with the sentiment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
"Always use the right tool for the job," my middle school shop teacher told us as he pounded in a nail with the handle of a screwdriver.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

i had to cut a bit of flooring and fortunatley my neighbor had a dremel attachment that he used to cut his tile. But not the new one where there is protection from the blade - just a half-moon blade with nothing between me and it. god that was terrifying, especially because I was doing it barefoot

i don't have many tools because i'm in a small condo and also don't like to have a lot of stuff, but i'm a big fan of my 2" (or 2.5") channel locks, and the stanley 6-in-1 screwdriver

Get a 5-in-1/painters tool and you’re all set

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

UKJeff posted:

Get a 5-in-1/painters tool and you’re all set

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
:cheers:

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

I'm looking to pick up a clamping magnifying light thing for a workbench as a gift for my Dad. Anyone have one they would recommend?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bann posted:

I'm looking to pick up a clamping magnifying light thing for a workbench as a gift for my Dad. Anyone have one they would recommend?

This one has worked well for my 3d printing worktable: https://a.co/d/fSF6Wy0

Not sure where I got the recommendation from. But in general the NeatFi ones are fairly consistent recommendations. (e to add: I think the target market for the brand is actually beauty salons)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Tool nerds:

I've got a couple painting projects that I don't want to brush (an old bed frame and end table for a kid who is now too old for the pink that we rattlecanned on it 8 years ago; and a 16x10 shed), but that aren't repainting a house.

I'm likely never going to spray enough area to make a prosumer model like a Graco worth it, so I'm looking at hand held ones. I've never used an airless one before, and know that handheld ones were considered pretty much garbage the last time I thought about them a decade ago, leaving me no sense of what's good on the homeowner level today.

Currently looking at the Wagner Flexio Sprayer which has decent reviews and most of the bad ones appear to be from people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Any experiences/opinions?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Why not rent a Graco?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

deimos posted:

Why not rent a Graco?
Partially because I hadn't thought of it, but partially because that feels like taking a sledgehammer to a gnat? I'm going to be using maybe a quart of paint on the bed frame and table. Am I wrong here?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Partially because I hadn't thought of it, but partially because that feels like taking a sledgehammer to a gnat? I'm going to be using maybe a quart of paint on the bed frame and table. Am I wrong here?

You tell me:

Depends on how many times you'll use it and your local cost to rent.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 6, 2023

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

deimos posted:

You tell me:

Depends on how many times you'll use it and your local cost to rent.

Would those be any better than this at $50? https://www.harborfreight.com/handh...3RoCbwAQAvD_BwE

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm going to need to purchase a reciprocating saw soon, is brushless vs non that big of a difference? Brushless is 2x the price, fuckin yow

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Brushless is the way to go in my experience, but my two points of comparison were across many years and a battery platform so those other factors could have also been some of the difference.

Buy once, cry once is my usual motto on tool purchases. I'd rather have something that exceeds my uses rather than a tool that fails me and costs me more to ultimately replace.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Brushless is the way to go in my experience, but my two points of comparison were across many years and a battery platform so those other factors could have also been some of the difference.

Buy once, cry once is my usual motto on tool purchases. I'd rather have something that exceeds my uses rather than a tool that fails me and costs me more to ultimately replace.

:hmmyes:

That's what I was thinking.

Cramazon has the brushless nicer looking handles Ryobi saw for like 50% off which is crazy but I might go for it...

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

That's what I was thinking.

Cramazon has the brushless nicer looking handles Ryobi saw for like 50% off which is crazy but I might go for it...

The one for $68? That’s a smoking hot deal, you can’t beat that for cordless never mind brushless too

If corded is an option you can find pretty good deals on used ones, something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-JR3...redirect=mobile

But outside of a construction site cordless is probably the way to go so I’d say get the ryobi brushless

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

stealie72 posted:

Tool nerds:

I've got a couple painting projects that I don't want to brush (an old bed frame and end table for a kid who is now too old for the pink that we rattlecanned on it 8 years ago; and a 16x10 shed), but that aren't repainting a house.

I'm likely never going to spray enough area to make a prosumer model like a Graco worth it, so I'm looking at hand held ones. I've never used an airless one before, and know that handheld ones were considered pretty much garbage the last time I thought about them a decade ago, leaving me no sense of what's good on the homeowner level today.

Currently looking at the Wagner Flexio Sprayer which has decent reviews and most of the bad ones appear to be from people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Any experiences/opinions?
We had a Wagner of approx that model (this was a few years back) and it was perfectly fine for a cabinet painting job, and coincidentally enough, a shed. It ended up releasing the blue smoke, so we upgraded to the Graco airless 360 for like $200 bucks, and I really like it. I think you'll be fine either way, but there is a noticable improvement if you spend just a little more money.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

actionjackson posted:

I just step on them. Rubber is rubber.

Speaking of shoes, did you realize that you're wearing 2 plumb bobs right now? Take off a shoe, hold it by one shoelace.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

UKJeff posted:

The one for $68? That’s a smoking hot deal, you can’t beat that for cordless never mind brushless too

If corded is an option you can find pretty good deals on used ones, something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-JR3...redirect=mobile

But outside of a construction site cordless is probably the way to go so I’d say get the ryobi brushless

Yeah I pulled the trigger on it cause it was such a steal. I knew I needed something akin to it to cut up our old countertop and to take down a gigantic fuckin mulberry bush, so it was perfectly timed :bubblewoop:

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
I got a set of 1/4” hex bits and it has been a game changer for assembling furniture or pretty much anything involving an Allen key in a cramped space. Dunno why I waited so long but I’m never looking back :ssj:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh yeah hex bits with a drill makes furniture assembly so much better. Even with a proper hand driver. Unusually start em by hand then zip em on.

Currently working on swapping my daughter's bed over to a new one and it's been so great for disassembly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Any recommendations for a precision screw gun? I need something with low torque so I'm not reefing everything down too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

tater_salad posted:

Oh yeah hex bits with a drill makes furniture assembly so much better. Even with a proper hand driver. Unusually start em by hand then zip em on.

Currently working on swapping my daughter's bed over to a new one and it's been so great for disassembly.
I’m not super familiar with power tools, honestly. I’m not that handy. (Yet?) And now I’m living with someone in a house, so there is lots more opportunity for that stuff.

That’s the background for this statement: I can’t visualize what you mean when you say a drill with hex bits. I have Alan wrenches, turn em by hand. I get that. With a drill, the bit would fit in to the little hex hole, and then it would turn a lot faster? Do I understand correctly?

Thanks for allowing my inexperience 😊