Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I originally had it on Bulgarian sausage, but pan fried potatoes, eggs, mushrooms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Bay leaf is the devil's spice and no recipe has relied upon it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lookit dis rube who's never had adobo.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
fresh bay leaves are totally different! bay leaf oil will blow your mind

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

prayer group posted:

fresh bay leaves are totally different! bay leaf oil will blow your mind

It's beyond bayleaf.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Quiet Feet posted:

It's beyond bayleaf.

Booo! I like bay. I usually add a few leaves when cooking dried pulses and legumes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I thought you only had excessive negative reactions to garlic?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 2, 2023

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

I originally had it on Bulgarian sausage, but pan fried potatoes, eggs, mushrooms...

Crusty bread! We had it at a vegan polish place in Pittsburg last night, and it was to die for (as long as you use the appropriate amount of marjoram which is “oh god is this too much?”)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bengali food would like a word. The base spices for drat near all the food starts with cooking bay leaves in mustard oil and then adding aromatics to that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I was unconvinced bay leaf tastes like anything and I even have a bay tree, so I made a bunch of bay leaf tea to try to isolate it. It has a mild floral taste that's pretty nice but it's very weak even with a lot of leaf. I use like 8+ leafs per dish now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's definitely something I add for aroma (generally in a bolognese) but that's such a large part of food enjoyment that I don't mind doing so or consider it a drawback.

Another one is putting rosemary, in a teabag, in the water when I'm boiling some for pasta. It imparts a fantastic floral note to the pasta, makes the kitchen smell great too, I love doing it. Super easy to remove and toss after and it doesn't fall apart and get all over the pasta, as rosemary sprigs would.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Bay leaf is a million times better fresh. Try that if you can. If you only have dried, use about 10 times as much as the recipe calls for.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Get Penzey’s bay leaves. The second you open the bag, there’s no question what bay leaf flavor is

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Penzeys spraying their herbs with food scents because I swear there’s no way some of these herbs have this much fragrance

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

It's definitely something I add for aroma (generally in a bolognese) but that's such a large part of food enjoyment that I don't mind doing so or consider it a drawback.

Another one is putting rosemary, in a teabag, in the water when I'm boiling some for pasta. It imparts a fantastic floral note to the pasta, makes the kitchen smell great too, I love doing it. Super easy to remove and toss after and it doesn't fall apart and get all over the pasta, as rosemary sprigs would.

Nice. I just ordered some reusable bouquet garni bags when I ordered some new cookware for my new (temporary but will be replaced by permanent after renovation) induction hob, but I forgot that I had ordered them, and I remembered today that I think I must’ve thrown them away with the box in which the saucepans came. idiot! There are lots of bay trees growing around where I live in London, so whenever I need new leaves I just pick a bunch.

Also, I currently have a cat on my lap.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bay leaf is a million times better fresh. Try that if you can. If you only have dried, use about 10 times as much as the recipe calls for.

Mature dark green leaves have a lot more flavour than young fresh ones when plucking from the tree/bush

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

prayer group posted:

Apparently Huy Fong screwed over the pepper farm they source from in some way, so the farm started making its own sriracha under the brand Underwood Ranches. Haven't tried it myself but I hear it's legit.

Huh, I'd been wondering why there had been so many shortages. This explains it, thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

Huh, I'd been wondering why there had been so many shortages. This explains it, thanks!

I just saw this which says it's drought

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/02/sriracha-hot-sauce-shortage-mexico-drought

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even Huy Fong isn’t the same. Ever since they sued Underwood Farms and lost in 2019, they’ve been with a different supplier and some people say they can taste that it’s different

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steve Yun posted:

Even Huy Fong isn’t the same. Ever since they sued Underwood Farms and lost in 2019, they’ve been with a different supplier and some people say they can taste that it’s different

Explains why the chili garlic sauce had more green in it than it used to

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've never liked siracha, is it significantly different now? Maybe your loss is my gain?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wine caps: good? Kinda. Can't beat the effort to grow em

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, homegrown arugula has so much flavor. It’s peppery, even a little spicy

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you have a lot of arugula growing, consider making arugula pesto. It's a whole new ballgame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tell me of your arugula pesto recipe, Usul

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

dino. posted:

Bengali food would like a word. The base spices for drat near all the food starts with cooking bay leaves in mustard oil and then adding aromatics to that.

I sincerely apologize. I have had some bengali food now and it's good as hell. Would've never thought bay leaf was at the base.

(However, I still don't see the point in adding One Bay Leaf to most recipes that call for them.)

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 8, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw a video where a lady made a pesto out of portulaca and walnuts and served it on home-made tagliatti and I'm going to try it the next time I feel like making fresh pasta.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I sincerely apologize. I have had some bengali food now and it's good as hell. Would've never thought bay leaf was at the base.

(However, I still don't see the point in adding One Bay Leaf to most recipes that call for them.)

It's like garlic, you always need more.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo, homegrown arugula has so much flavor. It’s peppery, even a little spicy

Not poo poo posting but I've never had arugala that didn't satisfy both of those qualities. Does your store bought arugula have no kick?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Where do you buy your high quality arugula

The ones I get from Ralph’s are nice, but have never punched me in the face like this

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Where do you buy your high quality arugula

The ones I get from Ralph’s are nice, but have never punched me in the face like this

I'm in the Vancouver BC area and I'm not sure where ours comes from but I've only ever really gotten it from your standard grocery stores (or more frequently enjoyed it when eating out). There's always been at least a bit of a kick, probably not as much as a properly grown example!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me of your arugula pesto recipe, Usul

I just make it with arugula instead of basil, you can change the other ingredients if you want to experiment. Walnuts seem to be popular, might try that some time.

https://www.seriouseats.com/arugula-pesto-how-to-make-recipe

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Wow, I just made arugula walnut pesto last night. Tastes great, can confirm.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
gonna do some 3-2-1 ribs tomorrow, feeling stoked. Might pick up a variety of sauces at the store for them as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Spaghetti all'assassina. https://www.the-pasta-project.com/spaghetti-allassassina-assassins-spaghetti/

Silly fad recipe I saw posted online. I'm curious does the pasta really char, or is it just the tomato sauce charring and people get confused? I tried following a recipe and bits of the sauce blackened way before the spaghetti would be able to get past brown, and I cant figure out how you could ever avoid that. Dont get me wrong slightly burnt tomato sauce is pretty good I just dont want to misunderstand the recipe.

(I used the allrecipes version when making this and it was waaay too much sauce this version has saner ratios)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 10, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It will start to brown and eventually burn (it's a dough, after all), but the sugars and other stuff in the tomato sauce will start browning a lot sooner.
You'd actually be better off browning the pasta in advance.

https://youtu.be/lynlywtJTT0

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 10, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mister Facetious posted:

It will start to brown and eventually burn (it's a dough, after all), but the sugars and other stuff in the tomato sauce will start browning a lot sooner.
You'd actually be better off browning the pasta in advance.

https://youtu.be/lynlywtJTT0
Yeah that was my exact suspicion, ty. Next time I'll try browning the noodles on their own then browning a little sauce then finishing the cook. The baking approach looks super consistent but I imagine some of the fun of the recipe is the uneven toasting of the spaghetti.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
yeah, the technique there seems wrong. just like sopa seca, which is also worth looking into, you want to just fry the pasta in oil first

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Today’s lesson learned: you don’t need very much fresh sage to make an entire dish taste like nothing but fresh sage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yet if you deep fry it you can use an entire bush worth.