Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

DrChud posted:

:toot: :siren::toot::siren:

First things, I found it!! Took some digging but it’s all good now. Also found the hobbit set 79000 -Riddles for the Ring.

Second, I may have missed it, can we not post pics thru the app any more? When I click the img button all I get is [url=][/url]

Hot drat! I just PMed you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Lego The Wire sets when

A little brown and beige apartment where McNulty and Bunk are investigating

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Blue Moonlight posted:

In 2013, it seemed like the Lego City subtheme was practically “urban decay.”
How about an abandoned building on fire?

Check!

Use this one, get rid of the fire, then put in a back wall with a half dozen skeletons covered up by tiles to represent the plywood.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Does anyone know if lego VIP discount codes work on different lego country sites to the one they were earned in?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Does anyone know if lego VIP discount codes work on different lego country sites to the one they were earned in?

They don't, they're locked to the country that your VIP account it set to. So if you have an account set to the US, you can only get US codes and those can only be used in the US.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Balls, figured as much though. Merci

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The upcoming Ghost set just leaked and it has a small phantom 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBO4vQt3q0

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've not watched rebels so I have no affinity for it but it looks good to me, I imagine I'll want it after seeing Ahsoka presuming it's in that

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm helping my brother build his eldorado fortress set and holy poo poo 50% of this build is just rocks and sand and water

Kind of missing that giant base plate

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Weren’t people saying it was going to be bigger than the first Ghost release? That looks smaller.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Not for me, it looks out of proportion and the stealthpede sticks out. I thought it fit in smoother?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Where is the Thrawn set

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Beasteh posted:

I'm helping my brother build his eldorado fortress set and holy poo poo 50% of this build is just rocks and sand and water

Kind of missing that giant base plate

Ordered mine Tuesday, got the receipt and shipping notice Wednesday, UPS said it would be here Friday, and now my order is sitting at "Label Created." I could've used a big LEGO project on this rainy weekend.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

trevorreznik posted:

Where is the Thrawn set

He showed up in something, I forget where. The important thing is I have his minifig.

Ah one of the phantom sets.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Weren’t people saying it was going to be bigger than the first Ghost release? That looks smaller.

People thought it would be because its using way more parts. But the original didn't include a Phantom AND modern Lego sets use more parts in general.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

my weekend Lego project has been to go recover 2 full chests of bricks from old storage.

Mission accomplished I would say :getin: 30 year old stuff...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nice monorail flex. ;)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Waltzing Along posted:

Nice monorail flex. ;)

God I hope there's still all or most pieces of that, especially the weird ones. I found a 9v battery box with powered studs on top for sure, this was like space age tech back in 1992 or so!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BaconCopter posted:

The upcoming Ghost set just leaked and it has a small phantom 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBO4vQt3q0

I missed the first but will not miss this. And maybe down the road UCS Ghost. Also can't wait to REALLY see it in live action vs the tiny easter eggs in Rogue One.

Goddamn Rebels means so much more to me - even more than the OT!!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The ghost is one of those ships that I don't really care about the ship itself that much, but my love for the spectre crew necessarily extends to include the ship. I won't be picking up a big version, but I keep my eyes out for a microfighter version to fit on my desk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jehde posted:

The ghost is one of those ships that I don't really care about the ship itself that much, but my love for the spectre crew necessarily extends to include the ship. I won't be picking up a big version, but I keep my eyes out for a microfighter version to fit on my desk.

This is also where I’m at. I love Rebels but the Ghost itself has always been at a kind of “well it’s alright” level of fondness .

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm two bags into Galaxy Explorer. Are all big sets like this now, with a huge technic pin setup for the frame? It's incredible and I'm getting a lot of ideas from it but it's also completely foreign to me, since I mainly build city stuff with my kid.

Speaking of my kid, he grabbed the robot and spaceman to join his army. The robot is now no longer a coffee serving friendly robot, but is a Warning Droid (he insisted I tell everyone about the "good names" he makes up)

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

trevorreznik posted:

I'm two bags into Galaxy Explorer. Are all big sets like this now, with a huge technic pin setup for the frame? It's incredible and I'm getting a lot of ideas from it but it's also completely foreign to me, since I mainly build city stuff with my kid.

Speaking of my kid, he grabbed the robot and spaceman to join his army. The robot is now no longer a coffee serving friendly robot, but is a Warning Droid (he insisted I tell everyone about the "good names" he makes up)

Yeah, most of the big models have technic skeletons inside them, with hinges to set angles where necessary.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GlenMR posted:

Yeah, most of the big models have technic skeletons inside them, with hinges to set angles where necessary.

I thought the hinge angle you add at the end of bag 2 was really neat. Just a bunch of stuff prepositioned to support the bricks coming later, even though they won't click in.

It isn't xl-15 level perfection yet but maybe it will be!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Was there a point where lego instructions became fun? These days a lot of builds are punctuated with interesting building methods, but I don't remember that being a thing building sets as a kid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jehde posted:

Was there a point where lego instructions became fun? These days a lot of builds are punctuated with interesting building methods, but I don't remember that being a thing building sets as a kid.

I'd hazard to guess it was with Cafe Corner. Unless there was something that came before where more interesting techniques got more play?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I feel like there was some toe-dipping starting right around the first UCS Imperial Star Destroyer. There were some loose ideas floating around from the beginning of the UCS line, but I feel like the ISD is when they first started getting interesting about how form and angles play into models. From there it sorta slowly creeped in, and by the time the mid-2000s rolled around, there were a lot more interesting techniques being used more consistently than before. If we had to pinpoint a single 'this is a really clever build' moment, I would say the 2007 UCS Millennium Falcon was the first time I was ever conscious about 'huh, that's an interesting way of doing that', but I mainly kept to the SW stuff at the time so I could have missed something.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I remember being loving amazed when I got that set that had the jail cell that you could slip a tile into to make it "explode". poo poo was off the chain.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I remember being loving amazed when I got that set that had the jail cell that you could slip a tile into to make it "explode". poo poo was off the chain.

A poster of distinction, I see.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hell. Yes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If we had to pinpoint a single 'this is a really clever build' moment, I would say the 2007 UCS Millennium Falcon was the first time I was ever conscious about 'huh, that's an interesting way of doing that'

2007 resonates - that's when I, late 20s and with a stable job, picked up my first set in 15 years, Fast Flyers 4953:

Granted, I'd been out of the game for some time, but the SNOT techniques and NPU comprising the jet intake and the mechanism used to extend and retract the wings on this F14 inspired bad boy completely blew me away. A real "you can do that with LEGO??" moment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

trevorreznik posted:

To varying extents, yeah. Some things like the Mustang or the Saturn V have a lot less than you might expect though.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To varying extents, yeah. Some things like the Mustang or the Saturn V have a lot less than you might expect though.

Interesting that those two were mentioned - I watched a video a while back detailing how those two specifically (I think from the same designer) were so well done.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gently caress yes love this idea, actually meshes so well with the idea of modern art

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
What a great collection of weird and unique pieces that will aid in MOC building.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

A poster of distinction, I see.

Seeing that white cowboy hat just made me think of the only 3D-printed thing ever I would not automatically loathe: a Lego Dimmadome long hat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

I think that one in particular really leans into the Technic frame because they needed that super thin but super strong wing element.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

smackfu posted:

I think that one in particular really leans into the Technic frame because they needed that super thin but super strong wing element.

Makes sense. I'm really impressed with its durability - it seems like it was a brick high skeleton , then an undercarriage plate system and one on top of plates/tiles and really made it playable. My 7 year old is swooshing it pretty hard.

I love the airlock on the back, and found it hilarious the way they integrated the two canopies was relying on nothing more complicated than 70s headlight bricks on their side to flip the stud alignment

Maybe I should get a second one of these for the alt build of 2 spaceships because I know that's how this will end up being used anyways.

Edit - the only flaw is the landing gear. Everything else is great

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 9, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

trevorreznik posted:

Makes sense. I'm really impressed with its durability - it seems like it was a brick high skeleton , then an undercarriage plate system and one on top of plates/tiles and really made it playable. My 7 year old is swooshing it pretty hard.

I love the airlock on the back, and found it hilarious the way they integrated the two canopies was relying on nothing more complicated than 70s headlight bricks on their side to flip the stud alignment

Maybe I should get a second one of these for the alt build of 2 spaceships because I know that's how this will end up being used anyways.

You'll need 3. It sucks, but that's how they did it.

Has anyone checked to see how many parts need to be ordered to make the other 2 with one set? Might be a bit easier/cheaper that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

You'll need 3. It sucks, but that's how they did it.

Has anyone checked to see how many parts need to be ordered to make the other 2 with one set? Might be a bit easier/cheaper that way.

Looks like someone on Reddit did the needful: https://old.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/wr2t2e/has_anyone_built_all_3_models_from_10497_im/impj5ci/

It's a Bricklink XML file with the pieces you'd need to obtain to build both B-models from a single extra set. Though for some reason it errors on part 1927, which Brickowl identifies as a hinge plate. Quick check seems to indicate you could get the extra bits for around $50.