Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone recommend books about reluctant adventurers? Like they don't wanna go on this stupid quest or they don't wanna be a child of destiny or plot but god dammit every loving solstice some weird poo poo happens and bam, stuck in a new adventure.

I know of the discworld books, NPCs, the etshar books, Andrew mayhem series, constance verity series, and cyclops road (which was a pretty good standalone). Just in the mood to read more. Bonus points if it's got some humor to it.

The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi is about a retired middle-aged lady pirate who is totally done with poo poo and gets dragged back into magical adventures. And it’s got humor to it

And oh hey, it’s on sale today https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Amina-al-Sirafi-Novel-ebook/dp/B0B3XQBGPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cool book located: I think it’s fantasy but I will have to read it to be sure.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Love that book! (And: it is).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love the focus on the cat. Does it have anything to do with the story?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Stuporstar posted:

The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi is about a retired middle-aged lady pirate who is totally done with poo poo and gets dragged back into magical adventures. And it’s got humor to it

And oh hey, it’s on sale today https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Amina-al-Sirafi-Novel-ebook/dp/B0B3XQBGPS

A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk & Robot #2) by Becky Chambers - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CNFL3W7/

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

StrixNebulosa posted:

This book is great but will make you very hungry.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

This book, and the LBJ biography (the whole series, but especially the first book), are absolute musts.

I looked up The Power Broker and the one I found is the third book in a trilogy by Stephen Frey apparently, am I looking at the right one? And is it necessary/recommended to eat the first two beforehand? It sounds like something that's very up my alley.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No, you want The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York, by Robert Caro, a monster of a non-fiction book about this one guy who really hosed up New York City and to some extent State for generations to come. (Want to know who to blame for our Governor essentially being able to do most of the legislation, leading to an extremely weak legislative branch? That's right, Bobby Moses!)

It makes for good reading, but it's looong. Took me 8 weeks to read, as in I returned it after the very end of my renewal period at the library.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Has anyone read The rise and fall of D.O.D.O. and if so, does it ever get good? I'm about 20% of the way in, and the plot idea so far seems kinda neat and it's definitely original, but it's going off on a loving weird tangent and I'm not sure I wanna keep going. If it gets better, I'll stay, but if it just gets more odd, I'm gonna tap out.

Also, Legends and Lattes needs to win cause I liked it and therefore it's the best on the list :colbert:

I remember it being worth finishing. It starts quite slow but does pick up. The highlight was (minor spoiler) a viking raid on a Walmart as accounted in verse by an attending skald.

I would read the sequel if it ever gets written. But also I wouldn't put it super high on any lists of must-reads.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I remember it being worth finishing. It starts quite slow but does pick up. The highlight was (minor spoiler) a viking raid on a Walmart as accounted in verse by an attending skald.

I would read the sequel if it ever gets written. But also I wouldn't put it super high on any lists of must-reads.

The sequel exists, written by the co-author alone. (Master of the Revels)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I'd honestly argue that the spoilered part is the only good bit in an otherwise extremely boring story, but YMMV. By the end I was skipping ahead to see if anything happens.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Silver2195 posted:

Ooh, another Elder Empire reader! Am I the only one who noticed that the setting is basically Ravnica?

I didn't! But I've never played MtG; the only thing I know about the setting is what I read in the Sanderson MtG book, which was fun but not set in Ravnica. But I was intrigued enough to go look up a few of the other stories and maybe vaguely read one or two of the online shorts.

pradmer posted:

Senlin Ascends (Books of Babel #1) by Josiah Bancroft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M62D7Y/

Ror posted:

Has anyone here ever read the rest of the series?

I really liked this book but lost a little steam in the back half for me and it sort of has a classic planned series 'to be continued...' ending. The writing and the setting were great but it felt like the hooks were the deepest at the start and I didn't have the urge to immediately pick up the sequel.

edit: actually, this book fits in with the reluctant adventurer question too, the protagonist is a mild-mannered teacher who thinks he's going on vacation until he has to deal with all the poo poo that pops up

I've read the first three:

Leng posted:

I finished Senlin Ascends last night and the whole time I was reading the book I pictured Thomas Senlin as some sort of weird alt-world where Mario is a British headmaster instead of an Italian plumber. The Tower of Babel and its ringdoms are intriguing but Senlin spends so long wandering around the Market and the Parlour and the Baths that I kept having to check the progress indicator on my Kindle app. By the time something happened, I was like OH THANK GOODNESS yet simultaneously resigned to knowing what the ending of the book was gonna be: Thank you Thomas! But your wife is in another ringdom! and then I had to read like...another 130 odd pages before the book actually ended since we already found out shortly after the midpoint exactly which ringdom it was.

That last part of the book was the most enjoyable though, because Senlin stops being a supercilious incompetent dummy. The characters are well written, the world building is fascinating, I'm enjoying the whole mystery of what the Tower of Babel was built for, but I don't know if I'm up for reading hundreds of more pages about rescuing a damsel in distress in 2023.

Somebody who has read the series please spoil me on whether or not that trope ends up being subverted because if so, cool, I am down to read about Marya kicking rear end but if not, then I think I'm gonna pass on the other three books.
The answer was "trope gets subverted, sort of" so I read on:

Leng posted:

I have now read the sequels Arm of the Sphinx and The Hod King and enjoyed both a lot more than Senlin Ascends. The multi POV treatment is interesting because instead of interleaving them, Bancroft opts to tell each POV's arc in a single continuous part and when you get to the next part, the narrative rewinds to the split point again and again to pick up the next POV.

Also props to Bancroft for writing in menopause in a way that isn't weird. If you want fantasy adventuring with older POV characters this is a pretty good pick.

I haven't gotten around to reading the final volume yet but do intend to.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Anyone recommend books about reluctant adventurers? Like they don't wanna go on this stupid quest or they don't wanna be a child of destiny or plot but god dammit every loving solstice some weird poo poo happens and bam, stuck in a new adventure.

I know of the discworld books, NPCs, the etshar books, Andrew mayhem series, constance verity series, and cyclops road (which was a pretty good standalone). Just in the mood to read more. Bonus points if it's got some humor to it.

Comedy Option: The Thomas Covenant books.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Curse of Chalion, its sequels, and Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking have reluctant heroes. I don't know if they're adventurers.

And it's a comic but Digger is wonderful.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Maybe check out Rick Cook's Wizardry.

The set-up: In a world beset by wild magic and evil warlocks a wizard summons someone he thinks can save the world: "Wiz" Zumwalt a computer programmer from Earth who is, as far as he knows, completely non-magical, out of his depth and really wishing he could go home soon.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Everyone posted:

Maybe check out Rick Cook's Wizardry.

The set-up: In a world beset by wild magic and evil warlocks a wizard summons someone he thinks can save the world: "Wiz" Zumwalt a computer programmer from Earth who is, as far as he knows, completely non-magical, out of his depth and really wishing he could go home soon.

I read a book in the exact middle of this series when I was like eight after picking it up randomly at a library because its cover looks like this:

Dragons vs Jet Fighters let's loving gooooo

I am convinced that if I read this now I would hate it, but it completely blew my mind as a tiny human who had recently started playing D&D.

Speaking of bizarre 80s SF/F, finished The Many-Colored Land and man is that a trip. The dialogue is still godawful, but the premise of psychic alien colonizers of prehistoric Earth enslave time-traveling human exiles from the far future, and thereby becomes the basis for Welsh / Celtic / Breton mythology is so goddamn good that I'm going to have to at least read the second one. For the Pliocene Exile enjoyers in the thread, what's the structure of the series like? I got the impression from the afterword of Many-Colored Land that it's sort of a duology with Golden Torc, but I know there's four books in the series.

I do need a palate-cleanser from Many-Colored Land though, so I've started on The Archive Undying, Emma Mieko Candon's extremely gay mecha novel. Only about 50 pages in so far, but the writing is good enough that I'm excited to dig into it. Anyone else reading / have read this?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There are four books, golden torc ends on a holy poo poo really?! moment that then sets up the remaining two books. Quality stays roughly the same, both good and bad.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
After the four Pliocene exile books are some sequel/prequels set in the non-past. They’re okay, but I think the Pliocene books are the best work that May had in the setting. I generally liked books 3 and 4 more than 1 and 2, myself, but I also didn’t find Aiken Drum to be too offensive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kestral posted:

I do need a palate-cleanser from Many-Colored Land though, so I've started on The Archive Undying, Emma Mieko Candon's extremely gay mecha novel. Only about 50 pages in so far, but the writing is good enough that I'm excited to dig into it. Anyone else reading / have read this?

It's high on my list to read, partially because of the editor of all things because he also edited the locked tomb and so I follow him on Twitter and he's been hyping it up a bunch

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Kestral posted:

I’m on the hold list at the library for this one. Hopefully get it in a week or two. I don’t normally go for mecha stuff, but this one’s premise grabbed me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

anilEhilated posted:

I'd honestly argue that the spoilered part is the only good bit in an otherwise extremely boring story, but YMMV.

Having looked, it's also ripped off from Tom Holt's Who's Afraid Of Beowulf?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Kestral posted:

I liked it pretty well, enough that I'd read more by the same author, but not enough that it'll be on my list of favorites for the year. I think the ending kind of dragged a little. That said, I suspect other posters might enjoy it more than I did! It does a pretty nice job of painting a picture that implies a weirder and more complex world than we see. For instance (minor spoiler, not super plot relevant)it seems like the story takes place on a colony world where there used to be some sort of space station orbiting the planet that a lot of people lived on. It's not totally relevant to the plot, but there are oblique hints a few times.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

Having looked, it's also ripped off from Tom Holt's Who's Afraid Of Beowulf?

My favourite non KJ parker book of his

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

buffalo all day posted:

This book, and the LBJ biography (the whole series, but especially the first book), are absolute musts.

I found it interesting how Caro found himself growing more to appreciate LBJ as he continued writing the books, really coming around on him in Master of the Senate. At that point he still saw LBJ as immensely flawed and also a bit of a crook, but someone who was actually doing the right thing when so many people who could have been entirely on his side weren't because of their white supremacy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Every book is from a different pov, with some having multiple. Every pov is written in a distinct voice.

You should definitely read Safely You Deliver as it's basically A Series of Bad Days part 2.

Also the books do reward re-reading.

Yeah, one thing that's underappreciated about the books is that each narrator is actually a different voice and the writing style matches. Zora is probably the most plainspoken of all the series narrators in SYD, but she tends to flit from idea to idea because she's a damned genius. Grue, who gets POV chapters in that same book, is probably the most "normal" narrator in the whole series compared to the genre as a whole. Interestingly, I recall Graydon saying Eugenia was meant to be an entry point POV for new readers in Under One Banner, and I find her the most stilted of the main narrators (The Captain, Ed, Zora, Eugenia, Duckling).

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

What’s the appeal for reading The Power Broker? A book about “power” in New York sounds interesting, but this is a tome. Interesting a good e-book doesn’t exist.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

habeasdorkus posted:

and I find her the most stilted of the main narrators (The Captain, Ed, Zora, Eugenia, Duckling).

It just occurred to me that "duckling" as a nickname would have a very different connotation in the Commonweal than it does in our reality.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Armauk posted:

What’s the appeal for reading The Power Broker? A book about “power” in New York sounds interesting, but this is a tome. Interesting a good e-book doesn’t exist.

Caro is an incredibly gifted writer- the books are clearly written, thoroughly researched and absolute pageturners. So the appeal is a well told and interesting story that has the advantage of being true and also considers a lot of themes that come up in fantasy - the acquisition and use of power, and it’s consequences.

Maybe Power Broker isn’t the place to start (unless you are a New Yorker) but it’s a single self contained story. I couldn’t put down The Path to Power and The Means of Ascent (the first two LBJ books) - the first is rags to…well not riches but on the way up that could easily get the numbers filed off and turned into book one of a fantasy series; book 2 is a deep dive into LBJs first senate race that’s absolutely nuts - helicopters, vote buying at the Texas/Mexico border. You could start with either, really. It’s hard to believe it all really happened.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mllaneza posted:

It just occurred to me that "duckling" as a nickname would have a very different connotation in the Commonweal than it does in our reality.

Oh lol. Yes that had not occurred to me either.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Memory's Legion: The Complete Expanse Story Collection by James SA Corey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096RSDCVK/

Rule 34 (Halting State #2) by Charles Stross - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y3I6XW/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mllaneza posted:

I had always interpreted it as in 'Ugly Duckling' but given what swans are like in that setting....

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Haha, drat, that never occurred to me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Armauk posted:

So, here's the thing. This is ostensibly about Robert Moses, and really has a lot about him, his life, and his work, but it also contains a lot of small vignettes about other important people of the time he interacted with, so it's almost like a short story collection with one overarching main story that ties them all together. And as buffalo all day says, he's a really gifted writer, so the presentation is very compelling. But if you give up after 100 pages you'll still feel like you've learned something important about a bunch of people and New York of the era covered.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In a time when it feels like nothing works right THE POWER BROKER says a lot about how things ended up working the way they do. Also a lot about how things did get done - Robert Moses, for better or worse, made a lot of poo poo happen. Often for worse!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

In a time when it feels like nothing works right THE POWER BROKER says a lot about how things ended up working the way they do. Also a lot about how things did get done - Robert Moses, for better or worse, made a lot of poo poo happen. Often for worse!

Making the trains run on time, except he wasn’t into trains because poor and/or black people used them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kalman posted:

Making the trains run on time, except he wasn’t into trains because poor and/or black people used them.

Or busses.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Armauk posted:

Caro is both a capable writer and an incredible journalist to have strung together such a complete account of Moses' life. It's quite an achievement to have that much detail on a guy that had the press under his thumb most of his career. And what you get with that is both a lot of texture about New York City and state and a look into how and for whom power worked for the crucial forty-year period in which the idea of what a modern city in America (car-dependent paved-over hellholes sutured together by eight-lane highways) was developed, and who to blame.

Frankly it crosses into "if you had written this in a work of fiction, it would be too over-the-top" territory (Moses' treatment of Impelliterri). Would probably own as a political/economic fantasy thriller though

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So, here's the thing. This is ostensibly about Robert Moses, and really has a lot about him, his life, and his work, but it also contains a lot of small vignettes about other important people of the time he interacted with, so it's almost like a short story collection with one overarching main story that ties them all together.

This is also true of his LBJ biography, which currently stretches four volumes and only just got to LBJ's presidency. I don't expect the 5th volume to ever come out, it's the Winds of Winter of non-fiction... and Caro is like 93.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No worries, Brandon Sanderson will be able to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Can he really do it justice? I have to imagine LBJ's presidency saw some story-important loving.