Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
lots of people eat eels, its the jellied eels that are disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i loving love a good pie

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

me and my your wife slurping the same eel up, lady and the tramp style

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we export eels in the maritimes but oddly only when they are lil babies, they get shipped to asia to be grown for food there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenny Logins posted:

we export eels in the maritimes but oddly only when they are lil babies, they get shipped to asia to be grown for food there

should offer eelbags in the lobster vending machines in the airport

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

eel is delicious and i hope we can figure proper eel conservation and such.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ah lads I'm super hungry today, so tonight's dinner will be a surfeit of lampreys

don't you need royal assent to get lampreys in the uk?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

should offer eelbags in the lobster vending machines in the airport

please help yourself to the communal eel bag

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

dont mind if'n i do

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

don't you need royal assent to get lampreys in the uk?

ah poo poo I've doxxed myself

also, POSTING;

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol a finely graded line of shade from NPR

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

Do you think they still eat Big Macs and coca-cola in the 24th century or is that the equivalent of ordering like boiled eels and cabbage broth

I think they probably do occasionally they have chocolate ice cream and other unhealthy stuff. Plus coke and hamburgers at this point are 100+ years old and still going strong

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I used to think that the us and uk were pretty close culturally except for funny little things like calling cell phones “mobiles” and stuff.

then I watched some cooking shows and started learning about weird rear end savory pies and unironically eating eels and drat. what the hell happened on those islands

food so bad we had to invade half the world just to get spices to make it bearable, and even then were so lame an entirely new curry had to be created to be as bland as possible before people would eat it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I used to think that the us and uk were pretty close culturally except for funny little things like calling cell phones “mobiles” and stuff.

then I watched some cooking shows and started learning about weird rear end savory pies and unironically eating eels and drat. what the hell happened on those islands

Let's have some wet slop gov'na

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

food so bad we had to invade half the world just to get spices to make it bearable, and even then were so lame an entirely new curry had to be created to be as bland as possible before people would eat it

Invaded the whole world for spices and then didn't like any of them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the spices were clearly just a fig leaf for killing and enslaving brown people worldwide, seeing as you don't use any of them.

ADINSX posted:

I think they probably do occasionally they have chocolate ice cream and other unhealthy stuff. Plus coke and hamburgers at this point are 100+ years old and still going strong

but surely in 300 years they'll have invented some kind of super-hamburger that's even better, right? why does everyone only eat earth food from the 20th century or the most stereotypical food from each alien race?

i think klingons would like steak tartare

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Sagebrush posted:

the spices were clearly just a fig leaf for killing and enslaving brown people worldwide, seeing as you don't use any of them.

but surely in 300 years they'll have invented some kind of super-hamburger that's even better, right? why does everyone only eat earth food from the 20th century or the most stereotypical food from each alien race?

I don’t think you can improve the cheeseburger

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

rotor posted:

*cuts hole in the bottom of the bag*

Hehehe by the time they figure it out 😏

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

Remember that episode where riker invented a bunch of the crew to his quarters so he could cook them a meal entirely consisting of unseasoned scrambled eggs made on a hot plate? I don’t know if tastes have really evolved in the 24th century they may have even regressed a bit. Numerous people mention that the replicator can’t get foods quite right and no one seems to know how to cook (unless you count voyager)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

are hamburgers today better than ones 100 years ago? other than new combinations of toppings it's probably mostly the same, if not worse because of meat quality

ADINSX posted:

Numerous people mention that the replicator can’t get foods quite right and no one seems to know how to cook (unless you count voyager)

pike has a kitchen in his quarters on SNW

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
Prime Minister Beep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Beeftweeter posted:

pike has a kitchen in his quarters on SNW

they don't have replicators in that era. in tos the food in the mess hall comes out of a hole in the wall but it's connected to a kitchen somewhere on the ship.

Beeftweeter posted:

are hamburgers today better than ones 100 years ago? other than new combinations of toppings it's probably mostly the same, if not worse because of meat quality

hamburgers are optimized now for sure. i bet a big mac would blow babe ruth's mind.

but who knows what further optimizations we might invent with future technology! new flavor enhancers that trigger your tastebuds in a way no human has ever yet experienced.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Farty Crabcakes posted:

Prime Minister Beep

Queen Beep

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Achmed Jones posted:

eel is delicious and i hope we can figure proper eel conservation and such.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

they don't have replicators in that era. in tos the food in the mess hall comes out of a hole in the wall but it's connected to a kitchen somewhere on the ship.

yeah they do, they just call them "food dispensers" in tos (and they order programs with those little card things instead of the voice interface). afaik the only one with an actual galley is enterprise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

more like grand vizier beep lbh

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
Shadow Minister of Bad Posting Beep

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

in terms of toppings, a major difference called out by various people is how modern vegetables often have less interesting flavour profiles because they have been selectively bred for looks, shelf life, and tolerating transport over long distances better, rather than their taste or nutrition.

I’m sure the sauces and whatnot are really optimized for the strongest reaction with MSG and stuff, but depending on your toppings selection I figure today you may need to go out of your way to get something as tasty as 100 years ago.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a man 100 years ago has never had a dorito so I think I'm winning

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ADINSX posted:

Remember that episode where riker invented a bunch of the crew to his quarters so he could cook them a meal entirely consisting of unseasoned scrambled eggs made on a hot plate? I don’t know if tastes have really evolved in the 24th century they may have even regressed a bit. Numerous people mention that the replicator can’t get foods quite right and no one seems to know how to cook (unless you count voyager)

archer and sisko were both super into cooking!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MononcQc posted:

in terms of toppings, a major difference called out by various people is how modern vegetables often have less interesting flavour profiles because they have been selectively bred for looks, shelf life, and tolerating transport over long distances better, rather than their taste or nutrition.

I’m sure the sauces and whatnot are really optimized for the strongest reaction with MSG and stuff, but depending on your toppings selection I figure today you may need to go out of your way to get something as tasty as 100 years ago.

eh, it depends on what you're getting though. plenty of people and small farms grow other varietals of vegetables, but they aren't as profitable as the ones on the grocery store shelves despite being better. a good farmer's market or similar will have stuff like heirloom varietals that are much more flavourful than the usual types.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 9, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MononcQc posted:

yeah i figure it's probably a little more nuanced than "modern hamburgers are objectively better in every way". i wouldn't be surprised if it were a similar situation with the beef

but also yes, modern condiments probably make a substantial difference

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PokeJoe posted:

a man 100 years ago has never had a dorito so I think I'm winning

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i quote the achewood!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rare lol from an achewood

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

eh, it depends on what you're getting though. plenty of people and small farms grow other varietals of vegetables, but they aren't as profitable as the ones on the grocery store shelves despite being cheaper. a good farmer's market or similar will have stuff like heirloom varietals that are much more flavourful than the usual types.

yeah that's what I'd call getting out of your way to prep a burger, compared to just going to a grocery store or buying one pre-made. Chances are your easiest way is to pay out the rear end for a gourmet burger, but a bunch of places make a pretty standard burger then slap the gourmet price on it anyway.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MononcQc posted:

yeah that's what I'd call getting out of your way to prep a burger, compared to just going to a grocery store or buying one pre-made. Chances are your easiest way is to pay out the rear end for a gourmet burger, but a bunch of places make a pretty standard burger then slap the gourmet price on it anyway.
i think 100 years ago i have to assume many more households had a meat grinder in the kitchen and could make their own ground chuck from the cuts they chose. as a result most households were considerably more comfortable working with raw meat and seasoning it early on in the cooking process. there was also a fair bit more free time for the household's cooking person so "low and slow" techniques were more accessible.

the years just before the great depression, food was likely pretty dang good, in canada/america at least. i don't know enough about the UK/EU off hand in 1923 to say for there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah. I can imagine on a basic level all that stuff being better 100 years ago. The thing that probably sucked by comparison was the availability of spices, techniques, tools, and of non-seasonal ingredients.

like it's a bit of an oddity that we as individuals have more foods available than at any other point in history, but the overall variety within the modern food chain is probably at its lowest ever.