Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah, I can only really see Maki, Yuta, and Kashimo as possible assets against Sukuna, unless Yuji has something weird going on that will make him competitive somehow. (Need to find out the deal with that seeming bodyswap with Kusakabe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Main problem is she was a cool lady whose power at the same time was very simple and didn't have any real time to stick around and interact before her death fight

Also she randomly dropped that she was a star plasma vessel which was never explained

She seemed extremely important throughout the whole manga and died with a lot of questions unanswered which was my main problem

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
yeah, she died without a single scene of her interacting with Todo. Gege!!! give the people what they want!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I wonder what kind of woman she was into....

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Maybe Gege is just leading us on and he's gonna have all of the female characters come back to save the day!

Probably not.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

frankly i’m not totally convinced yuki won’t come back from the dead

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes but I think that belief is dumb. How dare the main villain win his first proper fight, that if he lost would have ended nearly the whole story there.
I think it's sad that you have to expect the main villain to come out of that fight basically unscathed and not having lost any valuable resources, when his opponent dropped a black hole on him. Geto might have lost against Yuuta, but their climax established a stake beyond just getting Rika. Geto pulled out a special grade spirit in addition to making a massive Uzamaki out of the remaining cursed spirits in his possesion and that was to combat Rika and Yuta. Win or lose he was going all in.

Choso had one job initially, to try and get Kenjaku to burn through at least some of his higher level spirits and he got destroyed by merely enhanced low-level ones. Which kenjaku previously used to trounce Yuji so the brag that those centipedes would trash a grade 1 sorcerer/cursed spirit isn't unfounded. So his basic attack beats out a lot of people already. Tsukumo took down two high grades total and suffered damage from two mini Uzumakis; which is basically nothing to Kenjaku at the end of the day since he already released thousands of spirits to populate the culling game and presumably has thousands more at his disposal.

So yeah, the net result is that all she accomplished was letting the reader know that Kenjaku's brain jacking lets him take techniques from previous hosts and that's about it. She existed to ultimately fill out the 2nd slot so that Yuta and Maki could go to the domes and do more meaningful things. All from a character I can't understand because how was she planning to further her research into turning more people like Toji? Kenjaku has supreme barrier arts and a plan spanning millenia which makes his plans to optimize cursed energy a tangible goal. She's one chick that punches hard so we don't even know how she might realize her own ambitions despite her constantly showing up hinting vaguely at it.

Villains are allowed to win but still lose something in the process. To compare to HxH; Chrollo clowned Hisoka incredibly hard in a decisive win but still lost two of his subordinates because of a fringe circumstance nullifying actual death. That had lasting impacts without minimizing how one-sided that fight ultimately was.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

there was no gamble, the characters aren't real people. everyone in bleach talked up Chad every chance they got and that didn't stop him from being the biggest jobber in shounen, people talking about how cool any given woman character is doesn't matter if they uniformly get their poo poo kicked in at every opportunity.

*Laughs in Maki*

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

even maki only got to look good after fridging her sister

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Gotta keep up the theme that it's not love and friendship but desperation, tragedy and often sheer selfishness what fuels power growth in this setting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

even maki only got to look good after fridging her sister

It's not really a fridging. Mai made a choice to sacrifice herself for Maki, and the primary result was a direct powerup, not mere anger. Standard death beat.

(Yuki's death isn't a fridging either. It's just lame.)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm really curious how this fight is going to end. No way is Sukuna going down for good here, but if Gojo loses here I just don't see how it's feasible for anyone to stop him, or even mildly inconvenience him.

That's how I feel about things too. I don't expect Gojo to ultimately win against Sukuna but once he loses I don't see how any one else can lay a glove on Sukuna. My assumption is that he hurts or temporarily disables Sukuna badly enough that everyone else can execute a plan. Perhaps Yuji trying to draw him out of Megumi like a poison which would also disable his Ten Shadows as well as maybe limiting his regular powers. However Sukuna just does not seem to be taking any significant damage from Gojo. He was pretty badly hurt this chapter but that seems entirely down to him having a scheme with the Mahoraga wheel.

I really don't know if Gojo can do anything about whatever is happening with the wheel, and the nosebleed makes me think he's hitting his limit with RCT and constant domain expansions. Can't tell if this is the end or just the moment before we're once again "so back".

Scallop Eyes posted:

Gojo has to do some lasting damage at least, so that everybody else can deal with Sukuna.

Though if Gege really wants to sell this fight as pitched and"either can win", they need to show more of Sukuna's perspective and thoughts, and it would be fun seeing him react to Gojo's bullshit for a change.

That would rule. Sukuna is an overwhelming force but still very human (and a shithead) in his personality so it wouldn't be out of place to hear some of his thoughts. I can understand not hearing much from him because it would maybe ruin the mystique of whether he's being pressed or just playing the long game with the latest reveal. Seeing villains sweat is great though imo. One of my favourite fights in JoJo is the Boss vs Nero in part 5. It's so rare you see the final villain in something fight someone else and nearly lose. Seeing them overcome some major adversity often ends up feeling cooler than them never having a problem til the hero beats them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really enjoy

*sukuna or Gojo does some impossible bullshit*

Peanut gallery: "that's impossible actually, you can't just do that"

*sukuna or gojo copies the impossible thing the other one did after seeing it once*

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Maki was also the only person to survive Jogo's attack on her group. Nanami was basically a corpse only moving through sheer willpower, and Naobito was left as barely alive charcoal before finally dying. Maki came out of that just heavily scarred.

And back during the Goodwill event, she did well against Hanami, especially as someone with no cursed energy of her own.

The only times Maki suffered a major loss were against Geto, Dagon, and Jogo. All of whom also beat the poo poo out of everyone else she was with.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

EmmyOk posted:

That's how I feel about things too. I don't expect Gojo to ultimately win against Sukuna but once he loses I don't see how any one else can lay a glove on Sukuna. My assumption is that he hurts or temporarily disables Sukuna badly enough that everyone else can execute a plan. Perhaps Yuji trying to draw him out of Megumi like a poison which would also disable his Ten Shadows as well as maybe limiting his regular powers. However Sukuna just does not seem to be taking any significant damage from Gojo. He was pretty badly hurt this chapter but that seems entirely down to him having a scheme with the Mahoraga wheel.

There's a whole gauntlet's worth of beloved characters to throw in the sukuna meat grinder. After Gojo eats it ( :( ) everyone's probly gonna jump him, between that and the Gojo fight I could believe Yuji finally getting the dub.

Though technically Maki should be immune to cleve and dismantle, and we know she can beat Megumi's rear end. and she deserves it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

There's a whole gauntlet's worth of beloved characters to throw in the sukuna meat grinder. After Gojo eats it ( :( ) everyone's probly gonna jump him, between that and the Gojo fight I could believe Yuji finally getting the dub.

Though technically Maki should be immune to cleve and dismantle, and we know she can beat Megumi's rear end. and she deserves it.

Maki would not be immune to Sukuna’s sure hit attacks. He can explicitly set it to target objects, and has done so twice.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 10, 2023

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Considering he’s moved on to using Mahoraga I’m taking this as proof that Gojo is the strongest Sukuna has ever faced. Can’t put him down with his own techniques! Sad!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maki would not be immune to Sukuna’s sure hit attacks. He can explicitly set it to target objects, and has done so twice.

yeah but Maki's not an object, she's a lady.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

yeah but Maki's not an object, she's a lady.

This correct, but Domains treat things without Cursed Energy as objects.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
i'm afraid we're going to get a chapter of the entire crew jumping Sukuna and it'll just be a dialogue-less massacre of the crew as they get cut down 1 by 1

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

MonsterEnvy posted:

This correct, but Domains treat things without Cursed Energy as objects.

Okay that’s true…JJK sexist confirmed.

EmmyOk posted:

Considering he’s moved on to using Mahoraga I’m taking this as proof that Gojo is the strongest Sukuna has ever faced. Can’t put him down with his own techniques! Sad!

This is also true. next time suckuna should try fighting the king on his own.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Sukuna has yet to reveal Yorozu's gift, so I am still awaiting on that gift will tip things in his favor.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Flair posted:

Sukuna has yet to reveal Yorozu's gift, so I am still awaiting on that gift will tip things in his favor.

I also feel like his arrow has some weird ability to it too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flair posted:

But things are already in his favor.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

But things are already in his favor.

When we hit one of those "we're so back" peaks, I expect to see Yorozu's gift as the uno reverse card.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Despite it ruining her character's whole central defining trait, I've stupidly bet all my chips on "Maki secretly has a truly insane amount of cursed energy but it was sealed off by someone else, or it's so off the charts it can't be detected by anyone including herself, or she's mentally repressed it since it's so high it'd kill her pretty quick before she could learn to master it." It's not going to happen, but oh man I'll be rich in virtual bets I make with myself if it does!

So in that regard, Maki cruising in to mop up Sukuna doesn't seem that crazy to me, though as has been stated literally everyone (on both the hero and villain sides) immediately jumping in to this fight location as soon as one of the two wins makes a whole lot of sense.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Maki represents a known quantity threat to Sukuna thanks to the Split Soul Katana. What she needs is not some further last minute power up, but an opening.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Conspiratiorist posted:

Maki represents a known quantity threat to Sukuna thanks to the Split Soul Katana. What she needs is not some further last minute power up, but an opening.

Pretty much, Maki is already perfect. Any serious plan for permanently dealing with Sukuna should involve herding him directly into her sword.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7427/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-229

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
How many cards in the deck left?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
if mahoraga's adapted to void it's probly adapted to every trick in gojo's bag. it's so over. HOWEVER, undeniable proof that gojo is better than sukuna

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

if mahoraga's adapted to void it's probly adapted to every trick in gojo's bag. it's so over. HOWEVER, undeniable proof that gojo is better than sukuna

Limitless is such a fundamentally broken CT. The only ways Sukuna can even touch Gojo is using the sure-hit attack from his domain, to use Domain Amplification, or burn out Gojo's CT by shattering his domain. That being said Sukuna still hasn't used all his tricks or even his own CT and I think that's important to note because that could change how we interpret the intervals when Gojo was unable to defend against any attacks and just tank Sukuna's domain. But what if like in Shibuya Sukuna just decided to fire Arrow Gojo after the first or 2nd domain break?

Makes me wonder why he's playing things so conservatively.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sukuna is playing conservatively because that's probably the smart thing to do. Go through all of Gojo's cards one by one without spending any more of yours than you need. I imagine Sukuna is waiting to pop out the rest of his technique after convincing everyone in sundry that the only things he can do are his two slicing attacks.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm sure there's some kind of incoming gotcha for Gojo, this fight ending with the same tactic that Sukuna used against Yorozu would suck. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad time for the peanut gallery to jump in and collectively nuke Mahoraga to let Gojo continue to 1v1 Sukuna, but I fully expect him to innovate a solution for Mahoraga on his own. He'll probably lose but it'll shock me if it's here.

that nosebleed is foreboding though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gojo might actually be burning through too much of his Cursed Energy with the multiple Domains and constant RCT. Sukuna is appearntly nearly as efficient with CE, and has way more. (And has only Expand three times to Gojo's five times.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah I'm assuming the nose bleed implies he's doing lasting damage to himself by using this much power this frequently and the fight's probably going to end with him burning out or something just short of killing Sukuna.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think Gojo has the inverted spear pocketed away as a counter. No one knows what he did with it and it is completely perfect for the situation he is in now

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
My guess is that the nosebleed is happening because he's using RCT to heal his wounds and technique cooldown rather than refreshing his brain.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Gojo doing the fire punch knife under the chin through the skull to sukuna with the inverted spear would be fairly sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

yum posted:

My guess is that the nosebleed is happening because he's using RCT to heal his wounds and technique cooldown rather than refreshing his brain.

I love the way we’ve seen everything we’ve learned about jujutsu up
to this point become major factors in the fight between sukuna and gojo. it’s the most satisfying display of raw technique i think i’ve ever read in a manga. Wonder if cursed energy texture will come back up? i guess when sukuna punks kashimo we’ll get to see how sukuna no sells such a busted tech