Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

cattlehogs

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pochi is finally starting to come out of her shell at small dog play group :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7kxbCESD3s

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Pochi looks super happy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Postin my dogs

From right to left

Piper: Greyhound

Freya: Whippet

Luna: Potato

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

alg posted:

Pochi is finally starting to come out of her shell at small dog play group :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7kxbCESD3s

Zoooom!!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Just had our first audible fart from puppy and it loving stinks. This is my life now with a bulldog isn't it? gently caress me.

I did not think this through.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
hope you like slobber!

Today in Totally Normal Dog Having: We had pasta and I gave Gabriel a noodle. He carried it around in his mouth very proudly for. THIRTY. MINUTES.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Iliana is a weird dog that has ZERO interest on getting up on bed.

Unless I'm changing the sheets, then she takes every opportunity at every stage of changing them to get in my way.

See the highlighted drool on my freshly cleaned sheets.

I love my big gross goofy girl.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Just had our first audible fart from puppy and it loving stinks. This is my life now with a bulldog isn't it? gently caress me.

I did not think this through.

That breed is notorious for sensitive stomach. Our Staffy is the same, switching her to a grain free feed helped massively.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Flesh Forge posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat lmao

e: have discovered that Gabriel likes apples

Apples are a top-tier treat for Holly. When she was a puppy and I was cutting them up she'd sit right by the kitchen counter, tip of her tail wagging in excitement. :3:

Anyway, last week Holly went on holiday, first to my parents, then to her bff, the school traffic crossing man because I had a baby Monday last week.

She came back yesterday and is adjusting to the change pretty well - she is intrigued by the baby and was all wags when she first met him. Fingers crossed we're able to manage all this! :shobon:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Mega Comrade posted:

That breed is notorious for sensitive stomach. Our Staffy is the same, switching her to a grain free feed helped massively.

She's just starting to have some raw food in her diet and my partner accidentally put yoghurt in the food rather than the lactose free stuff I'd purchased... She thought it was mine as I also can't digest dairy without making GBS threads myself

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pavlov eats the Blue Buffalo chicken kibble, because he has a grain allergy and they're grain free. So imagine my reaction when I went to get more dog food and found them loudly advertising their NEW RECIPE NOW WITH WHOLESOME GRAINS. gently caress :negative:

They do still have a grain-free kibble, which I've ordered, but I don't know how different it is from the old stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I feed my dudes Taste of the Wild, they have a bunch of grain free types:
https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/taste-of-the-wild/grain-free/

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

My cat is in the ER with a bowel obstruction and Umbra (the dog) keeps looking around the house for him and is too worried to eat regularly.

It's heartbreaking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Mostly I don't want to try to transition Pavlov's food right now, because I'm going on vacation soon. He's been on this food for a decade now, and it's always been fine. I get that it's not amazing stuff, plus the general hazard of grain-free dog food, but when your dog has a grain allergy to begin with...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Taste of the Wild actually offers samples if you want to just try a little bit first:
https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/faq-posts/taste-wild-offer-samples/

Probably there are other higher-quality dog foods out there that do too, this is just what I use :shrug:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pickwick and I were visiting family for a few days and he did soooooo much better than at christmas. He's totally exhausted and has slept all afternoon since we got home.

We REALLY need to work on not pulling on the leash when we smell a neat smell or see some geese or a new person or the same person but we need to be next to them right now because maybe they'll pet me if I can get close to them in the next half second.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What a good dog :3:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I feed my dudes Taste of the Wild, they have a bunch of grain free types:
https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/taste-of-the-wild/grain-free/

I just transitioned my puppy (she’s 1) from victor limited ingredient food to Taste of the Wild Prey and she’s been a lot happier with it. Everything seems all around better.

quote:

What is the difference between Taste of the Wild and taste of the wild prey?
Our PREY limited ingredient recipes are a simpler approach to pet food based on the native diets of dogs and cats. Each recipe contains four key ingredients or less and is centered around a single animal protein source.

https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/prey/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I got the grain-free food in. It looks suspiciously similar to his old (grain-free) food, but I don't have the bag the old food came in, so I can't compare ingredient lists. So I'll have to do a gradual transition to this stuff, even though I'm pretty sure I'm just blending the same food with itself.

Once vacation is done and things settle down a bit, I can consider switching him to something else, maybe.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scout and I are doing a seminar on the Barn Hunt game Crazy 8s, where the dog has 2 minutes to find 8 rats (safe and secure in tubes) hidden in a maze of hay bales, climb a bale of hay, and go through a tunnel. You get points per rat you find, points off if your dog doesn't climb or tunnel, and points off if you say they found a rat but it's actually just a tube with bedding in it. By our third try of the night Scout got them all, including the climb and tunnel, in a minute and a half but bit her tongue in the process so all the tubes were covered in blood and she had a piece of hay sticking out of her eye. The other people in the class were a little horrified but Scout was ready to find even more. She's going to be mad at our competition next weekend when she only has 4 to find and a full 3.5 minutes to do it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
hello, i have only posted in the rat thread so far on pet island but i would like to introduce everyone here to Torgal, who i bullshit you not is 5 mos old apparently

we just got him today... never owned a dog before...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nice! Strongly advise you to get a set of clippers and learn the basics of how to groom a dog because that is a very high maintenance dog there and he already needs to be groomed!
e: not saying anything unfriendly or bad about how he looks, he looks great, I'm just telling you big poodles' hair grows crazy, crazy fast and trying to take him to a groomer to keep it under control is going to wreck you financially

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 10, 2023

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
What a strange looking rat!

But seriously what sort of breeds are involved, if you know?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
And dogs need to be accustomed to grooming when they're young, or else they'll be massive pains to groom when they're older.

Good luck with Torgal! He looks like a cutie.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Flesh Forge posted:

Nice! Strongly advise you to get a set of clippers and learn the basics of how to groom a dog because that is a very high maintenance dog there and he already needs to be groomed!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And dogs need to be accustomed to grooming when they're young, or else they'll be massive pains to groom when they're older.

we got an appointment coming up with this awesome groomer who has like 1000 ratings of 4.6, very excited to let them take care of the maintenance because you said it forge, he needs it!

Good luck with Torgal! He looks like a cutie.

Tad Naff posted:

What a strange looking rat!

But seriously what sort of breeds are involved, if you know?

he might be the cutest rat ive ever owned. he's a third generation bermese poodle mix, which means he's crazy hypoallergenic. which is good becuase otherwise id be sneezing and wheezing dead

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

cumpantry posted:

we got an appointment coming up with this awesome groomer who has like 1000 ratings of 4.6, very excited to let them take care of the maintenance because you said it forge, he needs it!

some crash course stuff you might want to do ahead of that to make it less stressful for him is just really basic "being handled is cool" stuff, stick yummy treats in his face while touching his face, touching his paws, things like that. things you are probably already doing :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah and even then you'll get some that hate stuff no matter what. Wren will not tolerate being anywhere near a hair dryer, Henry is fine with nail clippers until he hears them. Dogs..

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On the topic of grooming, Gabriel had his first trip to the groomer a couple of days ago, some before and after pics:

he has this semi fortunate behavior that he gets extremely passive when anyone touches his body and he goes completely limp when picked up. I'm not really sure if this is good or bad, he doesn't avoid being touched or picked up and he immediately goes back to being a bouncy little dude that gets the zoomies etc so it doesn't seem like fear but it's very strange, even if it's super convenient for the groomer

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So on the topic of grooming, people ask me all the time if I'm going to give Jasper a "summer cut" (he's three parts Cocker and one part Golden, and all black). I've always let my dogs be natural, thinking dog is designed to be dog and what business do we have meddling with their temperature regulation, but it's kind of hot out there these days. Also not sure but it might help with reducing the mat production?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mine are indoors 99% of the time and in the shade for almost all the rest so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me (Texas hot weather).

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah and even then you'll get some that hate stuff no matter what. Wren will not tolerate being anywhere near a hair dryer, Henry is fine with nail clippers until he hears them. Dogs..

Freja is the same, she's decided that weekly baths are great fun and she loves playing with the water from the showerhead, she now attempts to get in the shower anytime we use it but thankfully she's not big enough yet..

When it comes to drying her though, she stops being a cute, lazy bulldog puppy and turns into speedy Gonzales when the hairdryer turns on. So I have resorted to towel drying her which I think she loves too as she's a giant attention whore.

I don't think I personally could cope with a dog that needed crazy grooming though. We have 2 poodles that live together in our building and they got their hair clipped recently as they ran through a load of grass and got covered in foxtails etc, well, it's growing back so fast. I had no idea till recently! It's kinda impressive.

Also, holy gently caress is she growing fast. She's gone from 4.5kg to 10.5kg in a month.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tad Naff posted:

So on the topic of grooming, people ask me all the time if I'm going to give Jasper a "summer cut" (he's three parts Cocker and one part Golden, and all black). I've always let my dogs be natural, thinking dog is designed to be dog and what business do we have meddling with their temperature regulation, but it's kind of hot out there these days. Also not sure but it might help with reducing the mat production?
In theory their coat insulates against heat and cold. We always left our natural in the summer, even our malamute-shepherd mix in the Deep South. We would definitely get his coat brushed out really well at the groomers when/after he blew it in spring. I’ve read you really shouldn’t shave or buzz double coated dogs (like a golden retriever) because their coat won’t grow back right, but idk if that’s really fact or not.

Also post the dog I better a cocker/golden mix is cute af.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tad Naff posted:

We have meddled in our dogs a poo poo ton already, to the extent that many breeds have health issues. It's on you as the owner of the dog to understand where nature has been told to gently caress off, and thus where you must step in to pick up the slack. Shaving a coat can cause issues, but equally, not taking action can cause issues.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

In theory their coat insulates against heat and cold. We always left our natural in the summer, even our malamute-shepherd mix in the Deep South. We would definitely get his coat brushed out really well at the groomers when/after he blew it in spring. I’ve read you really shouldn’t shave or buzz double coated dogs (like a golden retriever) because their coat won’t grow back right, but idk if that’s really fact or not.

Also post the dog I better a cocker/golden mix is cute af.

Definitely don't shave a dog with a double coat - they will end up with really weird hair that is neither the guard hairs nor the soft undercoat.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Enfys posted:

Definitely don't shave a dog with a double coat - they will end up with really weird hair that is neither the guard hairs nor the soft undercoat.

Counterpoint - we give our Newf a buzz cut every summer and it grows back fine over the rest of the year.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I love how Pickwick jealously puts his paws over his buffalo horn and gives me suspicious eyes when I come to pet him. Dude, I don’t want want your gnawed in buffalo horn!! What am I gonna do with that?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

Counterpoint - we give our Newf a buzz cut every summer and it grows back fine over the rest of the year.

I'm guessing there's a difference between a buzz cut and a full shave, though I am not even remotely an expert.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love how Pickwick jealously puts his paws over his buffalo horn and gives me suspicious eyes when I come to pet him. Dude, I don’t want want your gnawed in buffalo horn!! What am I gonna do with that?!

Might be a good idea to make sure he's just playing and not showing aggression over his possessions. You need to be confident that if he gets something you don't want him to have (e.g. that might be harmful to him), you can take it away.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oh yeah he’s gentle as a lamb and it’s definitely ‘oh please don’t take away my prized possession’ not ‘gently caress off this is mine’. I regularly dig around in his mouth take things he finds in the yard (surely he has found all the things in the yard he shouldn’t eat by now?!) He has a very adorable way of putting his paws over a toy when he wants to chill and chew on it vs wanting to fetch/chase it or tug-of-war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Might be a good idea to make sure he's just playing and not showing aggression over his possessions. You need to be confident that if he gets something you don't want him to have (e.g. that might be harmful to him), you can take it away.

Speaking of, does anyone know any good resources for working on resource guarding? Problem is growing along with the puppy (a corgi, which apparently have an above average inclination to the behavior).