Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I have thought of giving away a couple things away for backlogust too, hmm. I gotta take an inventory of my closet. Backlogust goon DM me too!

I had the worst depressive swing of my life back in like 20-21 and gunpla was the only thing keeping me engaged. I haven't been able to replicate that feverish gunpla-building since then. Would be nice to give some of them a home

how do we make sure we are not just filling goons backlogs back up...?

vv that made me laugh but I must note: the kits I want to give away are mostly rarer P-Bandai ones. should be worthwhile for everyone involved

Ramie fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn why didn’t I wait a month before binge building all my kits

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ramie posted:

how do we make sure we are not just filling goons backlogs back up...?

People these days have too much crack. Everybody smoke as much crack as you can (to get rid of it). Whoever smokes the most crack will be given more crack as a prize!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I was thinking of getting started with gunpla but how do you actually go about buying stuff online?

I was looking at HLJ from the link in the OP but it seems like the $14 HG Zaku II kit would have over $20 in shipping costs to the northwest US. Is it only economical if you're buying a bunch at once?
Would I be better off just visiting a local hobby store in person if I just want to buy a single kit to give it a try?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I was thinking of getting started with gunpla but how do you actually go about buying stuff online?

I was looking at HLJ from the link in the OP but it seems like the $14 HG Zaku II kit would have over $20 in shipping costs to the northwest US. Is it only economical if you're buying a bunch at once?
Would I be better off just visiting a local hobby store in person if I just want to buy a single kit to give it a try?

HLJ is way overkill for most purposes. You’re still at the stage where you don’t actually need to keep an eagle eye on when things come back into stock in order to get a cool kit that you haven’t already built.

A good hobby shop will have prices about comparable to newtype.us , and here’s the reason why: every store that’s all in on Gunpla gets the same new and restocks in the same order, and virtually no kit worth building ever goes out of production permanently. So there’s no real reason to ever pay above the lowest price the kit ever retails at, because when it gets reissued it’s going to drop back down to that level.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are a bunch of local US shipping stores as well (Newtype, USA Gundam) that have higher prices than HLJ but way less in shipping costs to sorta compensate. Varies a little by item

If you have a local hobby shop you don't have to go super out of your way for that actually stocks gunpla stuff that might be the best place to pick out a kit and a cheap pair of nippers if you don't have any but if your only option is Hobby Lobby then you gotta wait for one of their model kit sales that seem to happen every other week for them to have price parity

Also you would have to set foot in a Hobby Lobby

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For whatever it's worth, I started with Amazon. Used to be that there were tons of kits going under ten bucks. With inflation and the increase in demand, that's gotten much rarer, but there's still a decent amount of stuff for under 25 dollars with free shipping.

That said, yeah. Supporting your local business is probably the best bet if you're looking to just dip your toes in, assuming you've got a decent shop nearby.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ramie posted:

I had the worst depressive swing of my life back in like 20-21 and gunpla was the only thing keeping me engaged. I haven't been able to replicate that feverish gunpla-building since then. Would be nice to give some of them a home

About 50/50 here for me. Still working on the depressive stuff. But my modeling skill has gone.. wildly different places so I can't depend on finishing a HG in one session. Shoot, just panel lined MG Zeta Ver.Ka took me most of a week. So.. I gotta pick and choose now.

Any goons in chicagoland just ~want something~ before I make backlogust rock? :-)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you're in the US, Target has kits in their collectable section now.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Azubah posted:

If you're in the US, Target has kits in their collectable section now.

And they're carrying Ariel, HG God gundam, RG Wing, and I think I've seen EG Nu, and the EG Loud American

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nerobro posted:

And they're carrying Ariel, HG God gundam, RG Wing, and I think I've seen EG Nu, and the EG Loud American

They might still have some Barbatos as well, although it's probably been a bit since they restocked it. For a while, they even had the MG on store shelves.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Only one more to go (until my local store gets ShineGreymon that is)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nerobro posted:

Just finished the EG Nu today as my first Gunpla in twenty years. Target will also sometimes have the rest of the Gundams from Wing in HG. Deathscythe is the most common, but I’ve seen Sandrock, Shen-Long, and Heavyarms on the rare occasion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just finished the EG Nu today as my first Gunpla in twenty years. Target will also sometimes have the rest of the Gundams from Wing in HG. Deathscythe is the most common, but I’ve seen Sandrock, Shen-Long, and Heavyarms on the rare occasion.

There was also a line of Build kits that was first mass released at Target, with some releasing months before they came out in Japan. Tied into the mobile game. Might still be a couple around, depending on location. The Command Exia is pretty cool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nerobro posted:

I like this idea. Hey backlogust person.. dm me. I have things for you.

Grassy gnoll usually runs backlogust. I did prizes last year but am happy to let someone else do that but I'm equally happy to assist or bankroll the whole thing again. I'm not the best person to run it but I'm good for support. :cheerdoge:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you're in the Pacific Northwest then I recommend either going to any local hobby shops, Hobby Town USA, or Target. Use Newtype for online shopping since they are based in California but they do charge for shipping so bigger orders will probably be better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robot4less in Los Angeles used to be pretty competitive but they changed owners a few years ago and may not be as cool anymore.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't know how much they charge for shipping, but GalacticToys from Grand Rapids Michigan has a good selection of Gunpla. I worked their booth for a convention, and they were the only one carrying any significant amount of kits.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

MechaWarehouse is pretty good too. They ship fast and cheap. I’ve used them quite a bit and they frequently have coupons and deals.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I was just looking at the literal stack of kits on the floor because my shelf ran out of room. Come on, August!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's always cool seeing the kits people make during August.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Jokes on you all, I've already cleaned out two kits in my backlog! :smuggo:

...Now I just gotta look at building the other four... :cripes:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jokes on you all, I've already cleaned out two kits in my backlog! :smuggo:

...Now I just gotta look at building the other four... :cripes:

Your backlog was a whole 6 kits?

Not sure that really counts as a backlog. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've been knocking out my backlog the last few months and I have to say that I have really loved a lot of the kits. I have built Bearguy III, MG Guntank, Zogok, RG Zeong, HG The O, and am working on MG Turn A. The only one that I don't really care for looking back is the MG Guntank. The treads are awful and I don't like the design as much as I thought I did.

e: I still have like 10 kits in the backlog, though. lol

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That made me realise that having 4 in my backlog isn't much at all lmao.

On of them is that robo thor. Almost everything is ready for building it. Im close to building my nerd shelf so it has space. The mr hobby flat top coat is in and I got a bunch of painting clips! Now I need to choose between the tamiya panel liner and the gundam marker kit I got.

Im practicing the panel lining on a cheap 30mm kit and noticed my hands aren't that steady. Gonna have to get better at cleaning excess ink.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I never hold a backlog. my backlog rn is the biggest it's ever been at a whopping one and a half kits (just psycho zaku and FA thunderbolt and i already built psycho's backpack)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What do people do with old runners and boxes? I've got a box of baggies filled with spare parts, polycaps and assorted weapons and beam effect parts. I keep a few boxes to store finished HGs that I'm not currently displaying and the rest I break down. I keep the lids with the cover art and recycle the rest. As for spent runners I usually just snap them apart and try to find a way to recycle them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Your backlog was a whole 6 kits?

Not sure that really counts as a backlog. :v:

It's not the size, it's what you do with it! :negative:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My backlog isn't super-large but almost every single suit is an MG and I just got this today which hasn't helped!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've got 15 kits ready for Backlogust, not counting diorama bases and non-Gunpla.

I actually need to do my crapgun for the general scale model thread...

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

What do people do with old runners and boxes? I've got a box of baggies filled with spare parts, polycaps and assorted weapons and beam effect parts. I keep a few boxes to store finished HGs that I'm not currently displaying and the rest I break down. I keep the lids with the cover art and recycle the rest. As for spent runners I usually just snap them apart and try to find a way to recycle them.

I take all the extra pieces off the runners and put them in a plastic bag. That bag goes into a binder sleeve with the manual and any extra weapons. The sleeve then goes into a binder sorted by grade.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it condenses all this extra poo poo into a much smaller space. I've got almost all the RGs released in just one binder.
The grey box half and runners I recycle. The top box, with the art on it, I keep hoping some day I can put them up on the walls of a proper Gunpla room.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm p sure I still have the same backlog as this time last year gunpla wise. :ohdear:

To be fair I have struggled with having the mental calm to sit down for a kit in a while.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I don't have that much of a backlog at this point (5 HG, 2 RG) but there is a threatening time bomb of whenever the LCL HLJ shipment decides to show up. Could be sometime next month or the month after that; who knows!

Also I've basically been snap building and refining my nub removal process and only panel lining when something looks really sad without it (pipes on Hi-Zack HG were the last one I actually did) so I really have a lot of work to do on completed kits as well I guess

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Arc Hammer posted:

I've been trying to find a good way to recycle runners into (basically) PLA plate without a lot of success (using solvents tends to make a lot of bubbles as they evaporate)
I keep my polycap runners around for spares, since they don't take a ton of room, and just have a big bag of various parts that "one day" I'll use to customize stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zedd posted:

I'm p sure I still have the same backlog as this time last year gunpla wise. :ohdear:

To be fair I have struggled with having the mental calm to sit down for a kit in a while.

I've taken a several month break on my hobby work. I'm starting to feel the urge to sit down with it again, which I'm happy for.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

My backlog isn't super-large but almost every single suit is an MG and I just got this today which hasn't helped!

I've got the IMS Engage Octaver SR-1 in the closet waiting behind a bunch of other kits. I built the Bang Doll a few years ago and it's really good and pretty bad at the same time. Volks has some interesting ideas going on in their kits...

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mindblast posted:

That made me realise that having 4 in my backlog isn't much at all lmao.

On of them is that robo thor. Almost everything is ready for building it. Im close to building my nerd shelf so it has space. The mr hobby flat top coat is in and I got a bunch of painting clips! Now I need to choose between the tamiya panel liner and the gundam marker kit I got.

Im practicing the panel lining on a cheap 30mm kit and noticed my hands aren't that steady. Gonna have to get better at cleaning excess ink.

Just finished this kit and it builds up like a dream. Have it all decaled up and ready for top coat but the weather in GA has been horrible lately for spraying. Too hot during the day and too humid at night.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't have much of a backlog, but I di have one robot I've had built and primed for the better part of a year now. Next month will be a good excuse to finally get it painted

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.
my backlog is shameful and ever growing, i want to get a bunch of the wfm hg's done over the next few weeks though, the beguir and dilanza were fun

...also im off to japan in december and things might mysteriously increase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I felt like poo poo through all of May and June and didn't build anything, so my backlog has built up to as high as it's ever been: 3 whole HG kits. I want to go out and buy a bunch more to actually do Backlogust for once. Really, it's very hard for me to not just tear into a kit the second I get it home.