Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I might get that Triumph Street 400 as a first bike for my wife aka second bike for me.

Planning on taking the ARC later this summer or early fall; sometime when it's not 85F+ so that I'm not roasting in a parking lot for five hours.

Not that I can budget it for at least another year, but I think a proper sport tourer to replace my current mini-sport tourer (FZ6 with 30 minutes of strapping down drybags before a long trip) will happen eventually. I want ABS, cruise, heated grips, and factory bags. Undecided between something like the GSX-S1000GT (don't quite need 150hp, no center stand) or a Tracer 9GT (more expensive, dorky tall ADV stance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

that technical writer? straight to jail

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Triumph street 400 looks like a pretty nice package assuming weight listed is accurate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since my other bike is in the shop until some parts arrive I've been doing the hour-and-change-each-way commute to work on the DRZ once or twice a week and I think I need to do something about the seat. My butt just kind of gets sore and numb every now and then, wondering if there's any go-to pad or cover that I can try before I look at outright replacing it with something more expensive. Someone at a bike night recommended a sheepskin cover first but I'm wondering how sitting on fur doesn't end up in a hot swampy mess after an hour or so.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It really depends on the type of fur and temp. I drop my reindeer fur when it gets above 10c /50f. You can try the scooter mesh seat covers, they add more bounce and padding, not just air.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

How old is the DRZ? I recently replaced my own seat on my 30-year-old bike and the foam on this new seat, even though it's likely a cheap Chinese aftermarket item, is much more resilient and supportive than the original foam was. So much so that I think I'm actually sitting a few inches higher than I used to be.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

some kinda jackal posted:

Since my other bike is in the shop until some parts arrive I've been doing the hour-and-change-each-way commute to work on the DRZ once or twice a week and I think I need to do something about the seat. My butt just kind of gets sore and numb every now and then, wondering if there's any go-to pad or cover that I can try before I look at outright replacing it with something more expensive. Someone at a bike night recommended a sheepskin cover first but I'm wondering how sitting on fur doesn't end up in a hot swampy mess after an hour or so.

Gp bikes has the standard foam seat concepts seat if you’re up for a run.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Snapshot posted:

Gp bikes has the standard foam seat concepts seat if you’re up for a run.

I ran the Seat Concepts seat last time I owned a DRZ and it was great.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

epswing posted:

I ran the Seat Concepts seat last time I owned a DRZ and it was great.

I’m going to get one, but I’m on the low end of their weight range, so they recommended I get an adjusted foam density; I get to wait for a custom seat.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Speaking of, I want to raise my seat approx. 1 inch/25mm. Do you literally just buy thicker foam and reupholster it, or should I just reuse the existing foam and put something under it to add the height? I want a taller seat, not a squishy seat, so just going super thick foams seems like it could lead to problems. How the current seat feels is fine. I want to reduce the effort to get my foot onto the pegs without lowering them.

The seat is currently 800mm. I've ridden on seats as tall as 850mm without it feeling too much. WR250X at 890mm was definitely on the tall side (but manageable).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Toe Rag posted:

Speaking of, I want to raise my seat approx. 1 inch/25mm. I want a taller seat, not a squishy seat, so

get an approx. 1 inch/25mm piece of wood and sit on it

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sagebrush posted:

get an approx. 1 inch/25mm piece of wood and sit on it

This is an apt description of the stock seat on a Kawasaki dual sport.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Ooh, someone is selling an Interceptor for $1400, I'm very tempted. How are they? Always liked the look, and I mean it's a Honda so I assume there will be no major issues.
Not running right now but the previous owner tried to work on his carbs and that's what stopped it, probably an easy fix.

He dropped it to 1300 this morning. If that thing goes under a grand I'm taking it And moving the one on my lift I haven't had time to work on for several years now

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks gang. I'll check out the concepts seat when I get a chance. Bike is.. heck, what is it now? 2001? .. so the seat is probably as dead as it's going to get.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

I love a drz. I hate a drz seat. I’ve had a few and every aftermarket seat I’ve had for them has been loads better than the stock seat. They’re the worst. I’ve never had luck with any of the pads.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Ok, I was just watching the Zack Courts video on the ZX4 and I am sort of confused by the RPM limit thing.

The video is saying that the RPM is limited in the US to 11.5k but when he leans on the throttle in the middle of the video, you can see his tach, and it seems like it goes all the way to 15k like it's meant to. So is the RPM limit only in upper gears or something?

The RPM being limited is pretty unfortunate, but presumably is healable with ECU chicanery. Still surprising they didn't just give it a giant pipe or something though.

Edit: watched again, and I'm an idiot, he explains that the throttle gets limited to some air intake to hold power constant even if the RPM climbs. That explains it.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 16, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The same trick is done with the learner legal versions of the SV and cb650. With those bikes there is presumably more marketing value in having full throttle at lower rpm with a taper at the top to satisfy the law, as opposed to a physical stop preventing you from opening the throttle further than 1/2 like on the mt07 and ninja 650.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
It might be down to the available circuitry, gen 3 SVs have a full electronic control over two of the f four butterflies so it's probably cheaper to just shut that one to part power in code than introducing a whole new hole in the casting to put a removable stop.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Double post: since coming to a gen 3 sv from a cbr300r I feel ambivalent about the techno-gadgetry it seems to have. I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable digging into the simple little throttle body on the 300 than the one on the SV. I'm sure it's better for the mid-range and all that but it's kind of intimidating. Presumably that's eventually going to be all bikes, but I kind of appreciated that a lot of bikes had engines that were simplified relative to cars until recently. Obviously vtec VFR800 engines were probably some kind of clockwork fever dream even 30 years ago, but dang it, if you wanted simple you could have simple.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

It might be down to the available circuitry, gen 3 SVs have a full electronic control over two of the f four butterflies so it's probably cheaper to just shut that one to part power in code than introducing a whole new hole in the casting to put a removable stop.

Nah it's cruder than that lol they just replace the normal throttle stop plate with one that has an extra tab earlier in the throw, you can literally just Dremel it off and turn your learner bike into a full size.

I think Suzuki were just trying to follow the spirit instead of the letter of the law

The secondary throttle thing is actually out of date technology by modern standards, SV's without them are...unpleasant to ride

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Has there been a definitive answer on who gets what where wrt the zx-4r? I think I'm gonna buy one early next year and the actual power output doesn't really matter to me but it would be satisfying to know what every one is getting.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
The review bikes seem to have gone out and there are some dyno charts for the American ones that seem to indicate a flat spot after 11k, which tracks with what common tread was reporting, also making the HP at the wheel ~60ish. Presumably the press bikes are going to be the same as production stuff. If you are asking about other regions though, no idea.

(For what it's worth, there probably won't really be a "final" answer from Kawasaki since they don't make hp claims in US the first place, since they don't need to)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

No idea what we're getting in the netherlands, but the kawa dealership here is getting their first shipment in september or october. Bit stupid to do it right when most people start thinking about winterizing their bike but oh well.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I remember reading that the whole purpose of the power limit in the North American market was to allow the bike to be sold in Canada, which has more laws regarding operating noise, which the bike exceeded. It's not related to emissions, so Europe/Asia was unaffected.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I watched a couple vids on reflashing and adding exhausts (modified Zx250RR full system) and it jumps from 55 rear wheel to over 75. 75 is the right number for that bike imo, what a cool little thing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Any of you CP2 engine bike bois have thoughts on a flash tune? I am getting back into riding, and I am sure some of this is getting feel back, but I feel like the throttle on my mt07 is snatchy when cracked open, and shifting is tougher to revmatch than it should be. Ive heard the mail-in tunes fix some of that. Not a huge problem now but something Id consider over winter since the ECU has to be mailed to the tuner.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I never really noticed any snatchyness with my '16 XSR700. Maybe I just go used to it I never noticed it being there. Mine had the a full akra exhaust but no tune.

There is a massive hole in the power and torque curves between 4k and 6k rpm though, which is probably a more important thing to have tuned out. I never bothered. I didnt see the point spending the money, the suspension is a better place to spend it imo.

I saw talk back when I was looking into it around being able to ease off the engine braking via a flag in the ECU, which might help with any on -> off throttle changes? I didn't bother looking into it anymore at the time though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

What sort of suspension upgrades did you make? I need to review the rear which I believe is the only adjustable point on the bike. The previous owner was probably 30lbs heavier than me, so I'm guessing some changes need to be made.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I was running the stock rear shock with a few more clicks of preload to stop it sagging under my weight. Thats pretty much all you can do with it. I don't know if the newer models are any more adjustable?

I ended up replacing it last year with a K-Tech Razor-R Lite sprung for my weight (95-110kg spring) I'm between 95-100kg geared up, and that made a significant difference to all the wallowing and bouncyness in the rear. But it just highlighted how awful the forks were.

I never got around to doing anything to the forks before trading it in. I don't think you can get the Ohlins drop in cartridges easily anymore, the only place that seemed to have them was some random ebay store in Italy. If I'd have kept it, I'd probably find somehwere to do k-tech cartridges.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

I remember reading that the whole purpose of the power limit in the North American market was to allow the bike to be sold in Canada, which has more laws regarding operating noise, which the bike exceeded. It's not related to emissions, so Europe/Asia was unaffected.

That's honestly surprising if true

Not that we have more stringent noise requirements, but that Kawasaki would nerf the launch of an anticipated bike with a lot of press for the benefit of a relatively tiny market. I've never done the numbers but between our small populace and our short riding year we have to amount to like an extra state or two worth of sales at best.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My wife has been coming along for rides more often lately. She loves how smooth the Zero is, but the passenger seat is tiny and the pegs pretty high.

Comfort on the 919 is better, but the fuel stank from the exhaust is horrible for a passenger according to her.

The 390 is probably getting sold soon, not that I'd take her on it anyway.

So naturally I'm now shopping for an FJR.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yes... Ha ha ha... Yes!!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Phy posted:

That's honestly surprising if true

Not that we have more stringent noise requirements, but that Kawasaki would nerf the launch of an anticipated bike with a lot of press for the benefit of a relatively tiny market. I've never done the numbers but between our small populace and our short riding year we have to amount to like an extra state or two worth of sales at best.

Yeah maybe a misreading of CA as Canada or something? Some googling suggests there is no actual federal noise limit in Canada (and I don’t think in the US either?). California is 80 dBA for new bikes, and probably the single biggest market.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

CA makes way more sense. Just called to mind the preparations race drivers have to take when going to Laguna Seca.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I know they supposedly have cops sit out on the side of the 1 in malibu with a db meter. I highly doubt they would give a poo poo here in humboldt county

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A MIRACLE posted:

I know they supposedly have cops sit out on the side of the 1 in malibu with a db meter. I highly doubt they would give a poo poo here in humboldt county

They also do it on 9 and 35 in the santa cruz mountains. They really started cracking down hard 2021 and 2022. But correct, no one gives a poo poo in southern oregon

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm assuming they still ticket you if you're a tourist on out of state/country plates?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah it's more or less like any other ticket; the law applies to any vehicle that enters the state.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Finger Prince posted:

I'm assuming they still ticket you if you're a tourist on out of state/country plates?

you are MORE likely to get a ticket as a non local

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Here's some bullshit: went to the triumph dealer (euro cycle in Reno) cuz the tiger needs a new clutch cable. Checking out there's a sign saying they no longer work on bikes older than 10 years. Not even tire changes, nada. I asked why and duder just says "liability". Wtf is this a thing now?