Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I have like 14 kits in my wardrobe waiting and then..two or three about to be shipped out of HLJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't buy another kit until I build the one I have :shobon:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

:mods:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't really bought a kit (I traded 1) for like 2 years now, so sorta same.
I hope I can use backlogust to finish at least 1 big kit again.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a go-to brand for waterslide decal kits? Nothing obscure, just mass market common kits, and preferably something I can find on amazon or the big online US stores. Looking to replace some stickers, or see if there are good options for replacements for the Bandai ones.

Any idea what "kitchen aluminum tape" is? Read an article that recommends it to back the eyes/transparent parts, clearly that's the Japanese translation. I gather that it's like very thin, flexible foil with adhesive on one side? The only thing coming up is like duct foil which I believe is pretty thick and rigid. I can consider polishing the surface and hitting it with the Shine Silver or Plated Silver EX markers, which are very close to "chrome in a pen" from what I can tell as well, but it'd be cool to know if this is some common thing I just can't find.

edit: any good bulk/cheaper replacements for the Tamiya pointed (they call them triangular but they are round cross-section) cotton swabs? They're nicely dense and don't leave cotton debris everywhere, and come in a couple sizes. I got some from Hobby Lobby which appear to be similar/the same but still like $4/50 vs $5/50 for the Tamiya ones. I'd buy like 500 or 1000 if I could bring the cost down a bit. With all the new little crap I'm buying and trying I've hit a wall for motivation to try multiple random ones I find online and hoping there's like common knowledge about what to get.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 11, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Queadlunn posted:

I've got the IMS Engage Octaver SR-1 in the closet waiting behind a bunch of other kits. I built the Bang Doll a few years ago and it's really good and pretty bad at the same time. Volks has some interesting ideas going on in their kits...
How do you mean? I'm prepared for it to be a tougher build than a Bandai kit but forewarned is forearmed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

Vile

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

How do you mean? I'm prepared for it to be a tougher build than a Bandai kit but forewarned is forearmed.

It's not nearly as nice as a Bandai kit, or even a kotobukiya. It's closer to a resin/garage kit in how a lot of the parts fit together and took a lot more glue, at least with the Bang Doll. Kind made sense to me considering what all Volks usually makes aside from their injection kits.

Don't get me wrong, the IMS kits are beautiful once completed, but they're a lot more fiddly than many.

Edit- If you've done part pinning on kits before it can help with some of the tiny joints on kits like this.

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Whoever engineered the MG Delta Plus is a goddamn sadist.

Are they all like this, or just transformers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Whoever engineered the MG Delta Plus is a goddamn sadist.

Are they all like this, or just transformers?

Transformers have a whole lot of issues that other kits of their scale avoid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's not even all transformers, mainly the Zeta and it's successor suits like the Delta Plus. The ancient Gundam Ashtaron kit transforms just fine

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The chest is like 70% hinges by volume.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

boz posted:

Just finished this kit and it builds up like a dream. Have it all decaled up and ready for top coat but the weather in GA has been horrible lately for spraying. Too hot during the day and too humid at night.

I've been hearing good things about this thing's engineering! Most important parts are undergated and everything. I've not done top coating before so idk about the right conditions. I'm just looking up tips on spraying and gonna hope it works out. Apparantly transparant parts don't like mat top coat? Should be easy to mask.

Did you also panel line it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finished the Darilbalde. Cool kit, wish thst it's beam glaive weapon wasn't so heavy and it had a proper hand connector peg. Its awkward to pose and gravity weighs it down.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

Apparantly transparent parts don't like mat top coat?
Matte topcoat scatters the light to reduce reflectivity and give that cool ceramic/metal effect, which unfortunately yeah means it makes clear parts cloudy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless you're intentionally trying to make a frosted look on the clear parts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

printed out some weapons for egg boi, still in progress.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:hmmyes:

The thor bot has two lighting bolts on the chest. Dunno if its an orange background with a clear plastic cover or the other way around.

Maybe frosted could be nice...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Huh I think I meant to get the Try instead of Build version of the HG Burning Gundam but it still comes with an entire full-size runner and smaller runner of clear flame effect parts which is what I really wanted anyway

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm collecting origins zakus to make some sort of chimera, those things are so fun to build

I built a wryneck from dunbine a while ago and oh my god did it make me appreciate how far the kits have come, that thing explodes the second you touch it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

decal time for the psycho zaku tonight, time to flex my new techniques

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm on to the infamously fiddly feet of the Delta Plus today. The hinge-to-structure ratio has not fallen at all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The new zeta has a really weird waist but everything else of it's transformation isn't awful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My shocked posting is more informed by the fact this is my first Master Grade since before I'd finished middle school, almost 20 years ago. So I've jumped from HGs where the detail and such comes after the fact via painting and modification, to something where all that is baked into the engineering. With the additional complication that it is a full transformer, not a partsformer.

I'm enjoying it though. I'm planning to pose it in this action base: https://newtype.us/p/TZllOhRZkRmG7KJdjDAW/h/composable-action-base

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mindblast posted:

:hmmyes:

The thor bot has two lighting bolts on the chest. Dunno if its an orange background with a clear plastic cover or the other way around.

Maybe frosted could be nice...

All the clear plastic is that yellow/orange, but it also comes with those same parts in full clear in case you wanted to change it up.

Inside the lightning bolts is actually a prepainted silver/metallic color.

I did panel line, I used the thin panel line gundam markers like I normally do on non-bandai kits to make sure I don't mess up the plastic.

I think I may just go ahead and put it all together and put it in the case while I wait for the weather to get better to topcoat, breaks my heart with it just sitting in big chunks in the box.

boz fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 12, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well one of my local sellers had a discount on a few kits due to the boxes getting water damaged, so I snagged myself an HG Wing Zero, Heavyarms, Shenlong, and Aile Strike.

I am now prepared for Backlogust.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
8th MS team roll da gently caress out.

GLORY TO THE EARTH FEDERATION.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Norris voice: Well, that certainly looks impressive!

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Tonight's P-Bandai drop includes the HG Zeta C1, which is a design I've always liked. Does anyone have experience with that kit? Is it a decent build, and will a straight build with panel lining do it justice?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

crab tank

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Tonight's P-Bandai drop includes the HG Zeta C1, which is a design I've always liked. Does anyone have experience with that kit? Is it a decent build, and will a straight build with panel lining do it justice?

I have a HG zeta here. It's pretty? It's also... HG of a wildly complex machine. It's a statue, and a parts-former. And it's entirely better as a robot.

If you love it, or the color, or something unique about it, Yes. IF you're at all indifferent, hard no.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Careful what you wish for

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

drat I want one bad

e: well not if a real crab died for it I guess

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

much smaller, not less cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859549404...ABk9SR5iyysapYg

I have these actually.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Weird as gently caress but also extremely cool

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Im not too familiar with third party kits and I just noticed this one on gundamit and I'm sorta confused:

https://gundamit.com/phantom-model-1-100-2001bl-zgmf-1000-zaku-warrior-diego-special-version-model-kit_p3038.html

Isn't this a pbandai kit? The promo pics look really good but that's usually the case. It suggests its a full 1/100 model at less cost than the pbandai version? Feels off. Would be nice if it were real but I don't have a good sense for these sort of things. That color scheme makes this the first Zaku I actually kinda wanna get, to boot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1679560258249695260?t=xhYZlc72nCuj6MRI7iimPQ&s=19

Honestly I'm not sure which among my gunpla could really pull off the Optimus pose without popping rhe side skirts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Im not too familiar with third party kits and I just noticed this one on gundamit and I'm sorta confused:

https://gundamit.com/phantom-model-1-100-2001bl-zgmf-1000-zaku-warrior-diego-special-version-model-kit_p3038.html

Isn't this a pbandai kit? The promo pics look really good but that's usually the case. It suggests its a full 1/100 model at less cost than the pbandai version? Feels off. Would be nice if it were real but I don't have a good sense for these sort of things. That color scheme makes this the first Zaku I actually kinda wanna get, to boot.

No, it's a third party kit. I can't speak to this specific brand but there's a number of decent third party kit makers that are fine.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Looks like it's a bootleg copy of this pbandai kit, with different colors for the body.
Phantom model is a translation of the Chinese name 幻影模型 / "Huanying Moxing", and from a quick search Huanying has cloned at least one other pbandai kit before, original here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Yeah, it's a third party bootleg of the Bandai kit. It's not a new thing but the pandemic Gunpla boom has seen a lot of third parties start up.
I can't speak to this manufacturer. A quick search makes me think they're exactly what they look like - a cheap alternative. Not as good as Bandai but fine if you like the look.
I can say that there are several third parties poised to eat the gently caress out of Bandai's lunch if they don't step up their MG/PG game.