Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thought for sure there might be some news last night. I don't want anyone to rush but I hope we hear something soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Happy Landfill posted:

Thought for sure there might be some news last night. I don't want anyone to rush but I hope we hear something soon

Barbie movie isn't out for another couple weeks, I assume they're dropping info to coincide

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I have now finished this thread and have nothing left but the wait for Alecto. My buddy, who's also terminally online, was delighted as I sent her the memes and fan art from this thread that she saw when they were fresh.

A pal (heh) has been sending me some safe stuff as well. Mostly of Cam and Pal because they are cool and good and my friends.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Barbie movie isn't out for another couple weeks, I assume they're dropping info to coincide

Oh god, I hope so :pray:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"All I can say is that it was complicated back in Canaan House, and sometimes a cute older girl shows you a lot of attention, because she's bored or whatever, and you sort of have this maybe-flirting maybe-not thing going, right, and then it turns out she's an ancient warrior who's killed all your friends and she's coming for you, and then you both die and she turns up ages later in the broiling heat on a sacred space station and like, it's complicated. Just saying it happens all the time."

Like the speaker, I am also a bit puzzled, but what a ride.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

One of the best run on sentences I've ever read.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

silvergoose posted:

One of the best run on sentences I've ever read.

And she doesn't even know it's her mom at the steering wheel yet.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Relistening to harrow (mostly cause of you dawgstar) and oh my fuckin lord Moira's Mercymorn is so, so good

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

silvergoose posted:

Relistening to harrow (mostly cause of you dawgstar) and oh my fuckin lord Moira's Mercymorn is so, so good

I know this has been posted here before, but (spoiler if you haven't finished Harrow yet) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJOuUJNcx8 is so amazing. Saw it after reading them all but not having listened to any of the audio books and its why my second "read" was with Moira Quirk.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I know what that is without clicking, it's too good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watch out, folks. Dulcinea is tired of roses, but horny for revenge. :allears:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

silvergoose posted:

We all know you clicked it anyway. Jod knows I did.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

disposablewords posted:

We all know you clicked it anyway. Jod knows I did.

Same here, it's great every time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, is the audio book released at the same time or do I have to wait?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

silvergoose posted:

That's the thing that got me to read the books in the first place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's the thing that got me to read the books in the first place.

Then I apologize for sending you that link elsewhere.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nona's nominated for a Hugo for Best Novel

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1677356955432624135?s=20

Happy Birthday Congratulations, Nona :woop: :woop:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Nona's nominated for a Hugo for Best Novel

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1677356955432624135?s=20

Happy Birthday Congratulations, Nona :woop: :woop:

Also Locked Tomb for best series, I believe. I've ever read some of two other of the nominated series (Rivers of London and October Daye) and they're both fine but they don't have Cam or Pal or Mercy or etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zierham posted:

I know this has been posted here before, but (spoiler if you haven't finished Harrow yet) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJOuUJNcx8 is so amazing. Saw it after reading them all but not having listened to any of the audio books and its why my second "read" was with Moira Quirk.

genuine artistic skill there to come up with a single simple-looking scrawl that can actually be interpreted to look like a muffin, a cloud, a flower or a snake in a bush.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Entropic posted:

genuine artistic skill there to come up with a single simple-looking scrawl that can actually be interpreted to look like a muffin, a cloud, a flower or a snake in a bush.

I would watch the gently caress out of a full-length animated Locked Tomb movie series by that person.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

I completely agree with this, especially given how she acts in the final chapters. betraying everything else to keep her promise to harrow, yelling get in line you big slut, yelling in frustration that killing Crux didn't make her feel better

I keep flashing back to the bit in Gideon the Ninth where Gideon remembered that as a little girl she used to imagine that her daddy was some really important guy and that he'd show up to take her away from those horrible Ninth House psychos to live with him in his magic space castle (or whatever). And that wish has now come true. Except that instead of wishing on a star, poor Gideon apparently ended up wishing on a monkey's paw.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Someone made a Harrohark figure, and it looks cool as hell.

https://twitter.com/faithsweird/status/1678149662652391425?t=fqHgSFpU4GM6tfq8502UUg&s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rambling update: Now Augustine has seen Gideon's eyes in Harrow's face and flipped out and run off. Ianthe continues to be Ianthe or, to quote Gideon, a "tall glass of skank." (Gonad was kinda funny, though.) Summoning Matthias Nonius as a literal figure of epic poetry to fight off the Sleeper was a cool move, even if both seem nonplussed at being forced to speak in meter. Nonius has just stabbed the Sleeper through the heart, so we'll see how that takes.

Also, I finally blew my free Audible credit on Nona.

Edit: For having to read all that, please enjoy this picture of Cam and Pal arm-wrestling:

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 11, 2023

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I still love that half of the climax of Harrow is all about the power of fanfiction

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just finished Harrow the Ninth drat, that was extremely different and much more of a difficult read than Gideon (which was just a joy to go through), but really drat rewarding. I had to immediately go and read the first like, 20 pages of this thread.

Initial thoughts: I really honestly was rooting for an Ianthe-Harrow hook up. Now, I don't think it would have been good for them to be in any sort of actual relationship perhaps, but, hell, go enjoy yourselves (kind of like the orgy that happens between the Lyctors and the Emperor in the middle of the book). The two of them were dripping with sexual tension for 400 pages, it was getting to be too much for me. Also what a great turn for Ianthe, a character you absolutely despise at the end of GtN but I found myself really having a lot of affection for throughout HtN (while somehow keeping in mind she murdered one of her best friends in cold blood for power and glory, how about that)

God it was so cathartic to hear Gideon's voice near the end again. Muir does such a good job in ramping up the climax in this and GtN that you can't put the book down for the last 100 or so pages, you are just so riveted and want to know whats coming next.

Brilliant to ping-pong back and forth in sympathy between the Lyctors and the Emperor and not knowing who's in the right, or if anyone is in the right ( it's probably no one). Near the end, when Ianthe helps the Emperor escape and dooms Augustine, Gideon makes it very clear that this is the wrong decision, but I find myself wondering...is it? The Lyctor assassination plot, at least to their knowledge, would have doomed the entire Solar System? Is that clearly the right move? I'm sure I'll learn more in the next one.

Still can't quite wrap my mind around what was going on with Gideon the First repeatedly trying to murder Harrow. Was it that he suspected that Commander Wake was in her somehow and trying to kill the Emperor? The whole blasé attitude everyone took to it added to the surreality of the whole book, and I'm still untangling what the heck was going on there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Grats! Now it's Nona time!

God told Gideon the first to try to kill harrow to unlock her lyctorhood, it was a cruel bad plan but hey that sounds about right for the guy

reread the section where harrow regrows ianthe's arm, it's...worded very strongly and similarly to sex

Ianthe is one of the best written lovely people I've ever read, Muir is brilliant

Your thoughts about saving God being the wrong plan are, uh, I'll say either the answers are spoilers for Nona or they're spoilers for Alecto ie we don't know yet

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

God it was so cathartic to hear Gideon's voice near the end again.

Yeah when I got to that part I was like "oh that's what I've been missing from the first book"

quote:

Still can't quite wrap my mind around what was going on with Gideon the First repeatedly trying to murder Harrow.

Nona sheds some light on this

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Nice, thanks everyone, I figured a lot of this stuff gets a little bit more clear (though probably not too clear, by the nature of the writing), in Nona.

Gonna start that up ASAP!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm still on John's side.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

John wasn't wrong.

He just also really, really wasn't right.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Nice, thanks everyone, I figured a lot of this stuff gets a little bit more clear (though probably not too clear, by the nature of the writing), in Nona.

Gonna start that up ASAP!

Just to warn you, you know how irritating and confusing and weird the first few chapters of Harrow were, the feeling that literally everything was wrong?

Nona is as different from Harrow and Gideon as Harrow was from Gideon. I still can't fathom how Muir wrote such differently toned books in one series.

Stick with it. Nona loves you.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't bring myself to hate John the way so many people seem to. Like, ok, sure, he killed an entire solar system, but it's not as though he was really in his right mind when he did it. The Earth gave him the power of necromancy with no training, preparation, or explanation. She can't put the tool into his hands without telling him how to use it and then get angry when he fucks it up.

I don't think that there was anything even remotely close to a good outcome for that entire situation.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

silvergoose posted:

reread the section where harrow regrows ianthe's arm, it's...worded very strongly and similarly to sex

It’s their version of a sex scene according to Muir.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't bring myself to hate John the way so many people seem to. Like, ok, sure, he killed an entire solar system, but it's not as though he was really in his right mind when he did it. The Earth gave him the power of necromancy with no training, preparation, or explanation. She can't put the tool into his hands without telling him how to use it and then get angry when he fucks it up.

I don't think that there was anything even remotely close to a good outcome for that entire situation.

I mean, that's his story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mad Hamish posted:

You do not, in fact, have to hand it to the Necro Emperor who killed ten billion people, and an entire solar system and mounted a ten thousand year EverWar against the distant descendants of the people who wouldn't do what he told them

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's "loving it up" and there's "murdering a planet to gain the personal power to take revenge on a bunch of other people"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

But he's just so charming

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mad Hamish posted:

I think you're missing the planet for the forest.

He really really really hosed it up and kicked off a nuclear war because he was an egotistical dick who couldn't let go and be Jesus 2.0. He could have saved the planet after the trillionaires ran. He could have Death Noted the hearts of everyone on the planet who didn't agree with him. But no, he had to start a nuclear war then kill everyone then kill every planet.

Necro meth is not an excuse for genocide.

I may forgive him after 1000 years of acid though. It's a system designed to reform individuals

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

Just to warn you, you know how irritating and confusing and weird the first few chapters of Harrow were, the feeling that literally everything was wrong?

Nona is as different from Harrow and Gideon as Harrow was from Gideon. I still can't fathom how Muir wrote such differently toned books in one series.

Oh. Oh, dear. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
More importantly than that, cows have best friends.