Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Another question about this: if the window you set with the short strangle is wide, then who on Earth will take the other side of those positions? Because if a bet goes bad, how can you expect to close the position? I don't see why anyone would take those potentially infinite amounts of loss off your hands. That part doesn't make any sense to me, but it makes sense otherwise. From your answer, it sounds like it's just a matter of waiting a couple days for someone to take your offer.
It's actually somewhat rare you're trading with a human being on the other side of an options trade. Most of the options market is dominated by "market makers" who offer to both buy and sell options based on their own complex formulas and algos. If you see the bid or ask qty as a single digit number of contracts, often you are dealing with another trader. Here's an example of a put contract I sold today:

quote:

Bid x size $0.4300 x 1,023
Ask x size $0.5000 x 1,023
Volume 0
In this case a big institution is the market maker and is offering both sides of the ask-bid spread. We know that both by the large and identical qtys offered on both the buy and sell size. Also that the daily volume is zero, nobody is "meeting in the middle" because the market maker isn't trading with themselves.

The market maker will usually have a bid-ask spread to make money off of, but it's actually very rare that no offer at all is available unless the contract is extremely out of the money. Your broker also probably facilitates this to some degree as they would prefer you close out your options early to avoid exercise because having to assign shares you to is extra work. You see this with Fidelity where they'll waive the transaction fee if you're closing an option with a price under $0.65 and close to expiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

After 2 years of selling cash secured puts today I finally dipped my toe into selling puts on margin. So far playing it absurdly safe and just selling what I could easily liquidate my t-bills to cover if assigned. A t-bill secured put if you will.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

After 2 years of selling cash secured puts today I finally dipped my toe into selling puts on margin. So far playing it absurdly safe and just selling what I could easily liquidate my t-bills to cover if assigned. A t-bill secured put if you will.

It works until it doesn't. What tickers do you trade?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Subvisual Haze posted:

A t-bill secured put if you will.

new thread title

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

did birdman kill marvel films?

birdman was released aug 27, 2014. there hasn't been a marvel movie that was both a megahit AND actually good released since then except thor: ragnarok. that's like 1 out of 22 marvel films since birdman.

disney stock TOTAL return since birdman is a pathetic +6%: that includes divs.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I think there is just a saturation point. You can only watch so many of them before they feel the same IMO and I LOVED them and saw them all in theatres until around Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Now I don't watch any of them in theaters

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I heard a rumour they released guardians of the galaxy 3 recently

Was contemplating taking my getting close to 3 year old to go see into the spiderverse 2 but I think we'll watch #1 and see if she's into that

Haven't been in a theater since Christmas 2019, haven't talked to any parents who are especially eager to set foot in one either

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

pmchem posted:

did birdman kill marvel films?

birdman was released aug 27, 2014. there hasn't been a marvel movie that was both a megahit AND actually good released since then except thor: ragnarok. that's like 1 out of 22 marvel films since birdman.

disney stock TOTAL return since birdman is a pathetic +6%: that includes divs.

No Way Home was their last blockbuster success, and the first significant one since COVID IIRC. Their movies are too expensive to make and aren't performing well enough to justify making them, their parks are getting massive investment but can't increase capacity, Disney+ isn't doing as well as they hoped, and their Fox acquisition would have been a lot more beneficial if Comcast hadn't pushed the price so high and forced a worse deal on them. Plus, Comcast got Sky in the deal and another foothold in the UK market that Disney really wanted

I think consumer trust in Disney as a whole brand is eroding and there's a lot of IP abuse leading toward apathy for another Star Wars or another [insert other Disney brand] movie

It's Disney, so they're probably going to be able to land on their feet, but they haven't been making the greatest choices lately

E: How could you forget about Infinity War and Endgame? Those printed money

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 11, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderman is Sony

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I can't remember how the Sony/Disney split goes on Spider-Man, but it was a movie produced by Marvel Studios

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

E: How could you forget about Infinity War and Endgame? Those printed money

So did the first Black Panther at least. The more recent Dr. Strange did pretty well too, no?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
The FTC lost their Permanent Injunction case this morning against MSFT on the ATVI merger. ATVI stock up almost 10% on the news. Just have to see if MSFT will close around the CMA, or if they can negotiate a deal. MSFT has a UK appeal hearing on July 28th.

EDIT: Appears the CMA has agreed to negotiate some kind of deal with MSFT. Have to see how that turns out with a remedy over the CMA's cloud gaming concerns.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23791149/microsoft-activision-blizzard-uk-regulators-cma-appeal

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 11, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The ftc arguments against atvi were a complete clown show. Obviously running short on lawyers, with them opening a case against every acquisition out there. Can they please concentrate on Kroger's/Safeway, which is going to hurt an insane amount of consumers if it goes through? I like having at least one choice for standard-rear end groceries, not looking forward to either hitting the monopoly or going to Walmart. Or whole foods to buy a grapefruit seltzer and a macaron for $25.

Instead they are bogged down with "omg playstation users might not have access to the coolest COD skins" or "Amazon buying the near-bankrupt original robot vacuum maker might slightly threaten the 100s of cheaper/better commodity robot vacuum makers".

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Damnit, I missed out on RDFN today. I was looking at it because I saw the bump that zillow got premarket but then decided not to take it after the initial fade.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Baddog posted:

Instead they are bogged down with "omg playstation users might not have access to the coolest COD skins" or "Amazon buying the near-bankrupt original robot vacuum maker might slightly threaten the 100s of cheaper/better commodity robot vacuum makers".

I dunno man, I dont want to put video games up there with groceries as far as importance goes but some of the stuff going on with video games over the last decade has been really bad. Video game companies have been pioneers in exploitative and anti-consumer practices over the past 15+ years and many of the practices they developed have gone on to become mainstream. Its definitely a space that needs more regulatory attention.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My dividends machine in RNW is being merged into its parent company. I’ll miss you 7 cents a share per month

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I dunno man, I dont want to put video games up there with groceries as far as importance goes but some of the stuff going on with video games over the last decade has been really bad. Video game companies have been pioneers in exploitative and anti-consumer practices over the past 15+ years and many of the practices they developed have gone on to become mainstream. Its definitely a space that needs more regulatory attention.

This. Regulatory shittery spreads. Nothing stops Kotick from becoming CEO of Kroger/Safeway or something. If you want to preserve basic needs, then you have to preserve everything else.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The government only cares about potential monopolies when another company lobbies against it. The government's only concern about the activision deal was playstation potentially losing call of duty, so microsoft promising to not take away call of duty made the ftc's only concern moot to the judge. Walmart on the other hand probably doesn't mind the rest of the grocery industry being gobbled up by kroger because from walmart's point of view that'd mostly make it easier to set up a price cartel

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I don't think anything kotick has done (taking the fun out of games) is on the table here. It's Microsoft's exclusives practices, which isn't really anything new.

You can see this as trying to set precedent to go after all the other walled garden ecosystems. But if she wants to break up apple and Amazon and Google, get on that horse, gogogo. Don't try to stake all of that on the dumbest possible case.

Hopefully they have their A team on Krogers. I know it's not as sexy as "going after big tech", but a monopoly on regular-rear end-groceries in many markets of the US is crazy. The plan seems to be to make them divest more stores, but the potential buyers are apparently whole foods and dollar general, lol. Something just isn't getting through.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Market very green today after the good CPI report. I ended up closing most of my Cash Secured Puts because they gained back >50% before earnings even reported.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

The Door Frame posted:

You're looking at it the wrong way, movies like this aren't worth the celluloid they used to be printed on. Sure, the Avengers grossed $1.5b worldwide, but it had a $230m budget and at least $150m in marketing, so that $1.5b doesn't end up being that big, especially after theaters and foreign markets take their share of the gross. The money is in the merch, and boy did Disney sell a lot of it

The lion's share of money made by Barbie is going to go to Mattel, who are going to benefit from the massive push in demand from wide demographics they couldn't previously reach for one of their largest and most prestigious IPs. If the movie does good, this demand could keep the stock price up until their price takes its usual jump for the holiday. Also, their stock was pretty cheap a few times this year and there was already a good amount of hype for Barbie going around, so it seemed like a fun way to make money on the cheap

Even if the movie physically harms viewers, it should at least be a wash by the time I get my money out, but I'm not actually betting the farm on Barbie. I just have more than I should in Mattel, so I like to joke that my money is riding on Margot Robbie's shoulders

The Door Frame posted:

It dipped to the lowest since Covid this spring when I bought in, a couple months before the trailer, so I guess I got to enjoy a bit of that rebound. It basically amounted to a blind pick, but when the stock price goes from $20 today to ~$23 in 3 weeks, I'll be able to say that I got a tidy ~45% return on a hunch, and get to feel like I'm an expert trader for about 5 minutes

And I know know my argument could apply to most licensed products, which is probably why so much licensed garbage exists, but this brand has a secret strength for producing this type of content. The concept behind Barbie being a doll with a super strong aesthetic who does everything a kid can dream of makes it possible to have her in a movie about anything. She could be in a shot for shot remake of Saving Private Ryan and as long as they kept things around a G rating, she was happy, smiled a lot, changed outfits, and they nailed the barbie aesthetic, it would still be pretty authentic to the experience of playing with barbies. That's why I held even after the trailer release couldn't stop the price from falling, it should be impossible to gently caress up the movie enough to lose money on both it and the merchandise

Should be....

E: and Mattel does have an impressive portfolio of IPs to draw on, although I unfortunately don't think they'd make an anthology series out of the American Girl Doll books or figure out how to make a Hot Wheels movie get to 85 minutes

I really like this train of thought with Mattel and decided to dip my toes into the pool. But of course that now means the stock is going to immediately drop :suicide:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Why does everyone think inflation is going to drop to 3%? I thought we all agreed it was a supply side issue. You can't invent more people to work in factories

I have to quote this, cus inflation did happen to hit 3% by July :)

Of course i didn't really make any money on it, although I suppose holding through the last 6 months counts!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mildly redacted version for clarity

in the upper yellow section isn't this just adjustment for price shocks from the russian invasion of ukraine + european stockpiling + later ban of russian oil? Presumably when energy inflation stabilizies it won't be contributing to the negative rate of inflation anymore and, guessing here, won't contribute to lowering the overall CPI as much in future months, pushing it back up?

i mean yes it did hit 3% but kind of looks like only due to the intense price spike of energy. food is still 5.7% and "everything else" is 4.8, let's not look at the weights and just call that 5%

what does surprise me about that data is used car prices continue to slide at a pretty good clip

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

mildly redacted version for clarity

in the upper yellow section isn't this just adjustment for price shocks from the russian invasion of ukraine + european stockpiling + later ban of russian oil? Presumably when energy inflation stabilizies it won't be contributing to the negative rate of inflation anymore and, guessing here, won't contribute to lowering the overall CPI as much in future months, pushing it back up?

i mean yes it did hit 3% but kind of looks like only due to the intense price spike of energy. food is still 5.7% and "everything else" is 4.8, let's not look at the weights and just call that 5%

what does surprise me about that data is used car prices continue to slide at a pretty good clip

That's a lot of words around "yes it did hit 3%"!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

The supply chain issues that were causing problems building new cars are mostly resolved. That should mean less demand for used cars and additional supply as people trade in or sell older cars when buying new ones.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

GramCracker posted:

I really like this train of thought with Mattel and decided to dip my toes into the pool. But of course that now means the stock is going to immediately drop :suicide:

I bought almost entirely on the vibes of all of the queer people and most women I interact with, and I still haven't looked at the company's paperwork or financials at all beyond a 3 year price graph. It's working out so far, but reason only seems to influence stock price so much

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
RIP

quote:

Earlier today Echo Lake Capital issued a letter to the Board of Directors of Quince Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:QNCX). The letter described a revised proposal to acquire all the company's common stock for $1.80 per share in cash plus a CVR

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Long time readers of the thread may recall QNCX from its earlier name, Cortexyme, of Table 6 fame.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Real bummer on that one all around.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/spreadthread1/status/1679557639078805504

stocks only go up

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The notion suggested here I suppose is that a certain type of investor, or perhaps managers, have moved out of dividend stocks and into riskless treasury bills and GICs, and so as soon as interest rates go back down, they'll come flooding into the dividend stocks, thus raising the price of these stocks. Accordingly there's an opportunity to buy low here now and sell high later.

It sounds plausible. I went and had a look at the last time we had an episode of incredibly severe rate hikes along with a fall and had a look to see what some dull dividend loving bank/telco stocks did around that time.

In Feb 94 the interest rate in Canada was 3.84%, it climbed to 8.13% in Feb 1995, then by Nov of 96, plunged back to 3%. Looking at the stocks for CIBC and Telus, well during this period it just looks like noise to me. They're certainly up by 1996, though they're just steadily up after then in general. I feel largely unconvinced of a connection here. :shrug:

(I'm just assuming these stocks offered a dividend in 1995. I have no idea how to get that sort of historical dividend info)

quote:

Lower interest rates will bring a ‘wildebeest migration’ of investors into beaten down dividend stocks

Hidden by the stock market’s solid first half of the year is a dumpster’s worth of beaten down blue chips with dividend yields as high as 7.3 per cent.

Talk about diversification – the roster of high-yielding blue chip dividend payers includes pipelines, banks, telecoms, utilities and energy stocks. High yields are a byproduct of depressed share prices, which suggests investors should be wary. But for whose who understand the risks, there’s an opportunity here to capture both a high yield and some degree of future dividend growth.

We are living in bountiful times for investors who prioritize income. For the safety-first crowd, there are guaranteed investment certificates (GICs) and federal government treasury bills (T-bills) with yields in the 5-per-cent zone. Climb a rung on the risk ladder and you can find slightly higher yields from preferred shares and corporate bonds. Step up another couple of rungs and you have out of favour blue-chip dividend growth stocks.

Late this week, Enbridge Inc. ENB-T and TC Energy Corp. TRP-T had yields above 7 per cent, Bank of Nova Scotia BNS-T, Pembina Pipeline Corp. PPL-T, BCE Inc. BCE-T and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce CM-T were above 6 per cent and Manulife Financial MFC-T just below.

To make sense of these yields, you need to compare them with the risk-free rate of return available today on T-bills and GICs. “Visualize blue chip stocks as a 7-per-cent yield minus 5 per cent,” said Srikanth Iyer, head of investments for Guardian Capital and manager of the Horizons Active Canadian Dividend ETF (HAL-T).

The extra two percentage points are the risk premium associated with generating yield from a stock as opposed to a T-bill or GIC. Mr. Iyer said the risk premium is your compensation for share price volatility and the risk of a dividend cut.

Yields in the 6-per-cent to 7-per-cent range for blue chips are exceptional and suggest a degree of investor concern about the security of the dividend. Mr. Iyer rates the risk of a dividend cut for the likes of Enbridge, TC Energy and BCE as very low. “I own Enbridge – not at the point of crazy weightings, but around 3 per cent.”

Dividend cuts by big blue companies are rare, but you can’t dismiss the possibility. The most recent example is Algonquin Power and Utilities Corp. AQN-T, which reduced its cash payout by 40 per cent earlier this year. Other examples from the past include TC Energy back in 1999, when it was TransCanada PipeLines, as well as Telus Corp. T-T in 2001, Manulife in 2009 and SNC Lavalin SNC-T in 2019. Energy and mining companies have also cut dividends, but that’s not unusual in cyclical sectors.

For investors seeking income ahead of capital gains, beaten-down dividend stocks offer the potential for both a high yield today and dividend growth in the year ahead. But the pace of dividend growth has slowed for many of today’s high-yielding stocks.

Globe Investor reports a five-year average annual dividend hike of 5.9 per cent for Scotiabank, but the latest increase came in at 2.9 per cent. In cash, the payout rose three cents to $1.06. Enbridge has a five-year dividend growth rate of 7.4 per cent, but the most recent increase came in at 3.2 per cent. That’s still close to the latest inflation rate of 3.4 per cent.

Mr. Iyer said dividend growth overall in the Canadian market has been resilient in recent years. But he sees more potential for growth from middle- to larger-size companies than what he refers to as mega-capitalization companies.

If dividend growth prospects are modest from these mega-cap stocks, what about capital gains potential? There’s some urgency to this question, given that some mega-cap dividend stocks are worth less than they were five years ago. Globe Investor late this week reported a five-year loss of 11 per cent for TC Energy, 11.1 per cent for Pembina Pipelines and 14.9 per cent for Scotiabank.

For Mr. Iyer, a decline in interest rates would be the big fix for beaten down mega-cap dividend payers. “I think they will at least go up 30 to 40 per cent,” he said. “It’s going to be a wildebeest migration.”

Mr. Iyer sees particular rebound potential in utilities, a defensive sector regarded as a proxy for bonds, and banks. Banks offer solid dividend-growth potential as well. He cited forecasts, derived with the help of artificial intelligence, that payouts will rise by 4 per cent to 5 per cent.

Beyond banks, Mr. Iyer’s AI forecasts suggest food and beverage companies, renewable electricity producers and real estate investment trusts in the retail sector as offering the best dividend growth potential. One additional sector Mr. Iyer singled out is energy. High-yielding energy mega-caps include Suncor Energy (SU-T) and Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ-T), with yields of 5.3 per cent and 4.7 per cent, respectively.

“The oil sector is growing its dividends, its balance sheet is lean and its ESG score is improving,” he said. ESG stands for environmental, social and governance. “It’s much more investor friendly than it’s ever been.”

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 16, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Femtosecond posted:

The notion suggested here I suppose is that a certain type of investor, or perhaps managers, have moved out of dividend stocks and into riskless treasury bills and GICs, and so as soon as interest rates go back down, they'll come flooding into the dividend stocks, thus raising the price of these stocks. Accordingly there's an opportunity to buy low here now and sell high later.

Your response upon reading "There's only been one 5% pullback this year, even during the dotcom boom there were eleven" is to go "This clearly means people are underinvested in the market and will go ultramax long when they see a dip"?

Would you describe yourself as a permabull?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

that's a puzzling interpretation of my comment and this article. :confused:

I don't think the article is suggesting that anyone pulled out of the market because it went down. The article is suggesting that the inflows/outflows around these particular stocks are related to the interest rates, which are estimated to pause in 2024 and decrease in 2025. So the quoted person is suggesting that this basket of stocks could see buying interest in 2024/25.

(like yes the market could implode for completely unrelated reasons in 2024. That's beside the point?)

(maybe I have no idea what you're suggesting. sorry.)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 16, 2023

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The comparison to the dotcom bubble is kinda stupid though. The dotcom bubble was an index already at its ATH more than doubling in less than a year. QQQ is going thorough a weird topheavy recovery right now, but it's far from doubled its ATH.

Also, 11 pullbacks of 5% or more in a year I believe is the all time most, the average since 1946 or so is either 1.5 or 3 per year depending on the source.

I don't think we're exactly poised for explosive growth but pointing at a chart of the dotcom bubble compared to today and making such absurd comparisons feels almost ulterior motive-y it's such a bad take.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

oh lol I just realized you probably meant to quote pmchem.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I think that he thought you were replying to me, but you were not. Your first sentence was referring to the article you quote posted (I think…), not my post above it.

Also my post was just a random fun tweet, nothing more duders. heh

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Yeah. There are still investors out there who focus on income instead of total return for whatever reason (I suppose there are a few decent reasons) and they're more likely to treat low growth dividend payers as something closer to bonds. And that means traditional bond math--"market yields have risen, price must come down"--will apply.

You can see this pretty clearly with something like Verizon. It started its grand march downward as the Fed started hiking and now yields 7.6%.

If you think you can time the top of, say, 10-year yields, there's a ton of money to be made.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

I find citi totally intriguing (see my prior posts on it), and am nearly drooling after its strong price resistance @ 45 and aswath's blog on it:
https://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/2023/05/good-bad-banks-and-good-bad-investments.html

but I can't quite pull the trigger yet because they bungled the banamex sale (now IPO'ing later) and I think they'll get roasted for it at the earnings call. plus some of their big money clients maybe (??) started using t-bills more in the past Q instead of cash deposits (citi relies on big accounts more than say, WFC/BAC). I'm just kinda spooked. so I kinda want them to take a hit or be neutral at earnings and then buy 2-3 days later? I dunno

i guess if that's the case maybe I should write puts too!

follow-up on citi: I did not write puts. unsurprisingly they had a lackluster quarter, with low RoE, and the stock was red after earnings. I did get around to reading the earnings call this weekend: generally upbeat q&a except for all the concerns about 'bending the cost curve'. basically, they have extra expenses from the int'l divestments (banamex still pending...) and firing people, plus more expenses from tech modernization, and those expenses aren't really expected to go away until end of 2024. given the competence track record at citi there is reason to be skeptical that they will succeed in the tech modernization by then. the analysts on the call do seem to respect the citi CFO. I swear he gets more attention than their CEO.

my prediction would be that citi catches some bearish price target adjustments this week and generally lags KBWB this week. but they do still print money and I gotta wonder how much worse it can get? it's a bank so the answer is "it can get VERY MUCH worse", but that is probably not likely. deposits were stable enough. their wealth management and FICC trading did well, their TTS segment did well, those are really things that have the potential to make them look more like morgan stanley in some future year for the bull case

other people here are better bank analysts than me so take it with a grain of salt but citi's value proposition seems largely unchanged

other bank notes: check out $OPBK, a korean christian bank with a huge loan book, solid LT growth, and crazy good ROE/ROTCE and margins.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pmchem posted:

other bank notes: check out $OPBK, a korean christian bank with a huge loan book, solid LT growth, and crazy good ROE/ROTCE and margins.

wait so they have a highly correlated base of depositors who all talk to each other

that hasn't been a great formula lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

wait so they have a highly correlated base of depositors who all talk to each other

that hasn't been a great formula lately

hah. but quite a different sort of clientele compared to silicon valley bank, yes?

from their 1Q balance sheet, OPBK's total deposits went up in 1Q23 (which ended a couple weeks after bank panic started):
https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1722010/000162828023018156/opbk-20230331.htm

compare to like, PACW where they went down by ~15% over the same period:
https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1102112/000162828023017382/pacw-20230331.htm