Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m watching episode 5 now and this is the weirdest editing I’ve ever seen in a tv show

it really was. i actually got annoyed half way through at all the long sections of repeated dialogue, there was no need to re-establish the sequence of events like that over and over. i dont know why they framed it that way to begin with, but it felt crappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The worst thing about episode 5 was that even if you give the stupid and poorly edited heist format a free pass, it was all made loving redundant by the final minutes. The heist format is meant to do the twist through the gradual reveal of perspectives. The additional twist that whatsherface tricked them and set him up just shits on everything.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Also watched the last episode last night and yeah it felt like a heist episode done by people who have only the slightest idea on how to do a heist episode

I mean the concept was solid since the Thanedd "episode" is very good in the books and it could've worked in the context of the ball, but the execution was... not good (Geralt should've been hungry af and complained more about the illusionary food)

Overall though I think s03 was better than s02, at least so far since there's still three episodes coming so they can absolutely gently caress it up still, but it feels like they stayed more true to the books and didn't go off the rails so much. Yeah there's some reeeeeaaaally weird character issues and plots going on and some characterisations make no sense at all, but it felt like it didn't veer so much into pure fanfic territory. So much of the good stuff rests on Cavill's shoulders however so s04 is gonna suck big time regardless whether they stick the landing on the three final episodes of this season or not

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I actually like older Radovid. If they followed the books Neither Vizimir (assassinated at the start of the war) nor Radovid (small boy) wouldn't be characters at all.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The writing is just so awful. There were a couple okay episodes and then it immediately morphed into GoT season 8 shenanigans. They intermingled some Xena warrior princess scripts (like the short story books) which went super slow, but an enjoyable pace, in with hyper speed world building chaotic mess. The pacing is just awful. We were given all the reason to care about Witcher and Ciri relationship and saw almost none. And a large amount of the acting is straight terrible. Ciri’s acting just fell off a cliff in season 3 (to be fair it’s got no script to work with). By this point Cavill has no script to work with, they’re trying to shove Jenn down our throats instead of the other way around. She’s as uninteresting as it gets the way the show has made her.

The Netflix diversity is only annoying from the perspective that Polish literary contribution to western culture is minimal, yet they couldn’t pay any homage to it whatsoever because they’re just slavs. Who are the racists here? Couldn’t be the Brits. If they just wanted to make a girls have super powers with diverse cast for the sake of it fantasy series why couldn’t they just make one up? I wanted to see more about Witchers and their history and instead they were all discarded as quick as they could to get back to the female wizard show full of bad men except the one silent guy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
LOL, have you read the books? The Witcher is barely in the series novels, and it's chapter after chapter of "girls with superpowers". All those catty sorceresses? Yeah, if they follow the books, it's going to be scene after scene of the. Yen and Ciri, most of the books is them. The complaints in this thread are hilarious. "Be more like the books! Wait, why is the story following Ciri and Yen while Geralt doesn't actually hunt any monsters?" I'm still convinced the games completely formed how people think the books went.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The video games did show one key point: the western allure was obviously the Witcher. They took those bits and super condensed and butchered them just to accelerate to their terrible script writing with Jenn and Ciri. They have no idea how to build endearment and show struggle. Watching a tree die at least was an attempt, but then it’s straight to super powers simple as cake.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Anonymous Zebra posted:

LOL, have you read the books? The Witcher is barely in the series novels, and it's chapter after chapter of "girls with superpowers". All those catty sorceresses? Yeah, if they follow the books, it's going to be scene after scene of the. Yen and Ciri, most of the books is them. The complaints in this thread are hilarious. "Be more like the books! Wait, why is the story following Ciri and Yen while Geralt doesn't actually hunt any monsters?" I'm still convinced the games completely formed how people think the books went.

yeah, its been a long time since i read the books, they were poorly translated and my memory is fuzzy, but the thing i remember most is that geralt seemed to rarely be the protaganist, and he was constantly separated from ciri and yen. i also remember him becoming an insufferable rear end in a top hat while he moped about in the woods whining to the point where i started to actively dislike his character. ciri, yen, and all the lodge poo poo was literally the most interesting and where all the story is

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

they’re trying to shove Jenn down our throats instead of the other way around.

:chloe:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
trying to shove our throats... down Jenn?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I finished the episodes and was pissed to learn we only get 5. I didn't know about them splitting it up and that is some straight bullshit, especially with how 5 ends.

I know its also a weird complaint but I was distracted for most of episode 5 because the actress that plays Yen looked like she was worryingly skinny. Like she has lost a bunch of weight between seasons. I could be wrong and I hope it was just the dress she was wearing.

I'll be another one that says everything felt disjojnted. I actually assumed Ciri escaping was a dream with how it was shot.

There were also too many chatacters I didn't remember, to the point I didn't realize who Phillipa was until the party when Yen points her out and I feel stupid because she had a poo poo load of screen time. If they said her name before that I didn't catch it.

All in all it was wnterta8ning, just weird with how it was put together. Learning that Cavill is gone I probably won't watch S4. That dude is too good at playing him.

Edit: They must have spent a shitload of money on the party scene because it was dumb how many times they showed what happened during it. I think it was the 3rd cut back when I said out loud "We're back here again?! What the gently caress?".

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 13, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

G-Spot Run posted:

The worst thing about episode 5 was that even if you give the stupid and poorly edited heist format a free pass, it was all made loving redundant by the final minutes. The heist format is meant to do the twist through the gradual reveal of perspectives. The additional twist that whatsherface tricked them and set him up just shits on everything.

Yea it felt like spinning wheels and at times was even confusing rather than opening up new bits in old scenes. Just absolute rubbish.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The Netflix diversity is only annoying from the perspective that Polish literary contribution to western culture is minimal, yet they couldn’t pay any homage to it whatsoever because they’re just slavs. Who are the racists here? Couldn’t be the Brits. If they just wanted to make a girls have super powers with diverse cast for the sake of it fantasy series why couldn’t they just make one up? I wanted to see more about Witchers and their history and instead they were all discarded as quick as they could to get back to the female wizard show full of bad men except the one silent guy.

Why would you even care about "netflix diversity" when you could care about Phillipa's completely over the top costumes?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

limp_cheese posted:

I finished the episodes and was pissed to learn we only get 5. I didn't know about them splitting it up and that is some straight bullshit, especially with how 5 ends.

I know its also a weird complaint but I was distracted for most of episode 5 because the actress that plays Yen looked like she was worryingly skinny. Like she has lost a bunch of weight between seasons. I could be wrong and I hope it was just the dress she was wearing.

I'll be another one that says everything felt disjojnted. I actually assumed Ciri escaping was a dream with how it was shot.

There were also too many chatacters I didn't remember, to the point I didn't realize who Phillipa was until the party when Yen points her out and I feel stupid because she had a poo poo load of screen time. If they said her name before that I didn't catch it.

All in all it was wnterta8ning, just weird with how it was put together. Learning that Cavill is gone I probably won't watch S4. That dude is too good at playing him.

Edit: They must have spent a shitload of money on the party scene because it was dumb how many times they showed what happened during it. I think it was the 3rd cut back when I said out loud "We're back here again?! What the gently caress?".

Lol too skinny come on goon, thats what people look like when they are in good shape, ya know exercise and poo poo?

Did you not notice all the magic users are impossibly good looking except that one old guy and the fat lady they added this season for the healthy at any size crowd

Koirhor fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 13, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Did you not notice all the magic users are impossibly good looking

I have only seen season 1 and 2 so maybe things have changed, but could you give some examples of these good looking magic users.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I swear, if this thread devolves into comparing sharp knees...

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Koirhor posted:

Lol too skinny come on goon, thats what people look like when they are in good shape, ya know exercise and poo poo?

Did you not notice all the magic users are impossibly good looking except that one old guy and the fat lady they added this season for the healthy at any size crowd

Of course I noticed that all the women mages are supposed to be hot, its a plot point. I've also spent enough time in various gyms that I know what women who exercise look like. She looked healthy in previous seasons, she just looked so much skinnier than what I remembered.

I know its a stupid complaint/observation but it srill bothered me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

itry posted:

I swear, if this thread devolves into comparing sharp knees...

Not enough braid tugging.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

MikusR posted:

I have only seen season 1 and 2 so maybe things have changed, but could you give some examples of these good looking magic users.

Considering how much time in the books is spent on the lavish dresses and whatnot the sorceresses get up to in there, the show really is a disappointment in that regard. They only just started doing cool stuff with Philippa this season (which is great). The generic sack they made all the people wear at the hogwarts school in the first season was a disgrace.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
The part two trailer has dropped. It looks adequately jolly.

More importantly, m'fin desert unicorns ahoy!

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Also I originally called how they're going to do the Geralt shell game.

Even more confident that post wizard beatdown he will end up in a full body cast/cocoon in Brokilon and emerge next season.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
This show isn’t going to survive Cavill leaving. Chud discourse in this thread aside, this show is doomed.

A solid first season and it has just been a slide into badness.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, so far each season has had a crippling flaw in it.

1 had the weird time jumps... I get WHY they did it but I'm still not sure that it couldn't have been done a bit more elegantly. But... the material adapted from the short stories was pretty great!

2 was a mess. Honestly a bit of clusterfuck, apart from the first episode (another short story adaptation) and Burn Butcher Burn.

3 is shaping up to be pretty decent thus far, but the looming shadow of Cavill heading out, coupled with cutaways from the core group that just aren't nearly as interesting, is going to be hard to overcome.

This season has actually had some nice moments. I enjoyed the montage of Geralt, Yenn, and Ciri growing together as a family in the first episode, the bond between Geralt and Ciri, and the episode 5 Dandelion overdub of Geralt/ Yenn arguing are some immediate highlights that I think of. And go figure, they're good cinematic adaptations of material instead of writers just trying to zag and totally do their own thing!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Chieves posted:

Yeah, so far each season has had a crippling flaw in it.

1 had the weird time jumps... I get WHY they did it but I'm still not sure that it couldn't have been done a bit more elegantly. But... the material adapted from the short stories was pretty great!

2 was a mess. Honestly a bit of clusterfuck, apart from the first episode (another short story adaptation) and Burn Butcher Burn.

3 is shaping up to be pretty decent thus far, but the looming shadow of Cavill heading out, coupled with cutaways from the core group that just aren't nearly as interesting, is going to be hard to overcome.

This season has actually had some nice moments. I enjoyed the montage of Geralt, Yenn, and Ciri growing together as a family in the first episode, the bond between Geralt and Ciri, and the episode 5 Dandelion overdub of Geralt/ Yenn arguing are some immediate highlights that I think of. And go figure, they're good cinematic adaptations of material instead of writers just trying to zag and totally do their own thing!

I know people like to pan the actors, but the actors are the only thing holding this show together. I really enjoy seeing them interact even when it's campy, particularly the core cast (the secondary characters, meh). The first season, in my opinion, was perfect. The time jumps were not confusing at all if you were paying attention and I still don't understand the issue people had with them. If anything it helped to underscore that witcher's and mages don't age really. The second season was I don't even know what, every single episode had some glaring mistake or missed opportunity.

This season is so weird. Like it has moments of brilliance but the plot itself is presented very poorly, to the point where I think the reason I focus on the actors so much is that the part of my brain that processes a coherent story checks out and the part of my brain that is just watching drama, spectacle, and humor kicks in. I think it's better than season 2 (so far) but it introduced completely new flaws, like really bad green screen and experimental shooting choices, most of which are a big miss.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

episode 3 was incomprehensible at times while stoned

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ijyt posted:

episode 3 was incomprehensible at times while stoned

TBF stoned fever dream is absolutely the tone of some of the short stories and I don't think it's bad translation

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

TBF stoned fever dream is absolutely the tone of some of the short stories and I don't think it's bad translation

I genuinely have no idea how or why it suddenly cut to Ciri being chased by the wild hunt, or why Geralt suddenly showed up there. IDK if I got distracted or it literally just smash cuts to it.

Also LOL people weren't kidding about the dodgy green screen.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Just finished this. I actually had no idea it was even out until I saw it pop up on netflix when I was looking for black mirror.

I actually really enjoyed these 5 episodes. Much more than season 2. I really liked the whole thanedd plot from the books and I felt like the show did a decent job at bringing all these characters and plot points together. Well aside from the weird heist editing from episode 5. I can see how people who werent all too familiar with the source material would be a bit confused though. As they throw a lot of chracters from different nations/factions at you.

I had my gripes like several other posters pointed out. Like I genuinly thought the wild hunt chasing Ciri was some sort of weird fever dream scene. Since she was just at aretuza is, why is she riding away on a horse?? And I was even more convinced when Geralt magically showed up out of nowhere. It was SO weirdly cut. But now I read her teleporting scene got cut and that makes SO much more sense lol.

I always knew season 1 would be the best season with the monster of the week episodes, because those were also the best books :colbert: so I wasnt surprised that season 2 was worse. Just didnt think it would be THAT bad. Season 3 was definitely a step back in the right direction imo. Just a shame that Cavill is leaving and killing the show.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Have either the CDPR games or this show ever established how the evil white flame dude is Ciris, Princess of Cintra, father?
What happened to him and uh how did he become emperor of half of the world? Seems kinda important.
Also a lot of viewers new to the franchise are gonna peace out once they introduce the dozen different Northern fiefdoms without any context or showing a map or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sauer kraut posted:

Have either the CDPR games or this show ever established how the evil white flame dude is Ciris, Princess of Cintra, father?
What happened to him and uh how did he become emperor of half of the world? Seems kinda important.
Also a lot of viewers new to the franchise are gonna peace out once they introduce the dozen different Northern fiefdoms without any context or showing a map or something.

The books go over this. This is an abbreviated take. Spoilers ahead.

Emhyr is the son of the former Emperor of Nilfgaard who was deposed by a Usurper. During this time in exile he took the name Duny and saved King Roegner of Ebbing, Queen Calanthe of Cintra's first husband. As a reward, Duny/Emhyr invoked the Law of Surprise. Sometime later he met Pavetta, Princess of Cintra and daughter of Roegner and Calanthe, and the two fell in love. Due to fate intervening, the Law of Surprise resulted in Pavetta's pregnancy with Ciri and the resurgence of the Cintrian bloodline's connection to the Elder Blood lineage of Larra Dorren, the Elf who wed a human thousands of years into the past. This is the episode in Season 1 where Geralt and Dandelion go to the feast and they deal with the hedgehog Knight Duny. If you're more interested, read the short story in The Last Wish called "A Question of Price." which is obviously much more in depth.

And now for something else:

Ithlinne was a prophetess who foretold a coming apocalypse that would result in the world reborn and the Elder Blood would be the key. Elder Blood is basically a conduit to the untapped primordial energy of the universe that usually manifests as magic, and those that are connected to the bloodline can sometimes manifest supernatural powers and are known as Sources. Ciri is a Source, and by far the most powerful. Imagine Paul Atreides and replace the Bene Gesserit with sorceresses carefully crossing bloodlines to try and bring about powerful Sources into the world for their own ends.

Back to Emhyr:

So Emhyr has multiple goals in mind, both on a practical level and on a prophecy level. He wants to bring about the apocalypse by following Ithlinne's prophecy so that the world can be remade with Nilfgaard leading the way. In practical terms, he's a cunning politician who planned to use his marriage to Pavetta to gain claim to the throne of Cintra and to the Skellige Isles through Pavetta's mother Calanthe and her stepfather Eist Tuirseach, High King of Skellige. With these two kingdoms and the Empire of Nilfgaard he'd have the power to take on the divided Northern Kingdoms and unite the continent under his banner. However before this could happen Pavetta was lost at sea on the way back to Nilfgaard and "Duny" was presumed dead as well. Emhyr ended up retaking Nilfgaard for himself and was crowned Emperor. Without his claim to Cintra or Skellige through marriage contracts he starts a war of conquest to take the Northern Kingdoms and also to find Ciri, who wasn't travelling with him at the time when Pavetta died.

The icky part is that the interpretation of Ithlinne's Prophecy that Emhyr is following states that it'll actually be the son of the Elder Blood who will bring about the change. So Emhyr's plan gets rather incesty, since he doesn't really need Ciri as much as he needs her to bear him a son.

As for how Nilfgaard took over half the continent. In the show Nilfgaard is initially a bit of a rump state that can't control its provinces thanks to the Usurper and overly powerful merchant houses. When Emhyr becomes the White Flame and takes control of the Empire he instills religious fervour into them and aggressively subjugates the provinces and launches his invasion of the North.

In the books it's less of religious zealotry and more that Emhyr is a political genius and excellent at logistics. The empire itself isn't as outwardly religious and is more of a secular state. Those merchant houses are brought in line through economics rather than military force. The military is heavily reorganized and is much closer to an Early Modern Era standing force than anything the Northern Kingdoms can muster up. Turns out that having a stable economy backed up by aggressive expansion into enemy territory and a very well trained army is enough to conquer huge swathes of land when your enemies are too busy fighting among themselves or being bribed and assassinated by Nilfgaardian diplomats, spies and assassins.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 26, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

In the books it's less of religious zealotry and more that Emhyr is a political genius and excellent at logistics. The empire itself isn't as outwardly religious and is more of a secular state. Those merchant houses are brought in line through economics rather than military force. The military is heavily reorganized and is much closer to an Early Modern Era standing force than anything the Northern Kingdoms can muster up. Turns out that having a stable economy backed up by aggressive expansion into enemy territory and a very well trained army is enough to conquer huge swathes of land when your enemies are too busy fighting among themselves or being bribed and assassinated by Nilfgaardian diplomats, spies and assassins.

Yea in the books it's more "He's Napoleon"
Which fits, I'm saying

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Episode 5 was even better/worse high.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Pretty much every episode was bad. Only watching because of the core cast now.. once Cavill is gone so am I

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
New episodes today?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

New episodes today?

Yep! They're up on Netflix in the UK at least

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

About to dive into episode 6, forgot this was coming back until I saw a review online. Not as excited to see the review itself: this won't be a surprise for book readers, but Geralt apparently spends most of the season recovering from his asskicking by Vilgefortz, and it's disappointing that Cavill doesn't have much more to do in his final episodes as the Witcher.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Extremely confusing editing choices and absolutely wretched green screen horse riding that looked so floaty I assumed it was a dream sequence aside, I didn't hate it.

Given how much was obviously just never shot and awkwardly edited around I can't tell if the constant retreading of the events of the feast was supposed to be an artistic decision or if it was purely to pad it out to two full episodes (one now and one with the resolution in the next half). Maybe both.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

argh halfway through episode 6 and as a book reader, ffffff just go! gently caress tissaia, you're all in the clear, no one knows where you are, just leave!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hailthefish posted:

Given how much was obviously just never shot and awkwardly edited around I can't tell if the constant retreading of the events of the feast was supposed to be an artistic decision or if it was purely to pad it out to two full episodes (one now and one with the resolution in the next half). Maybe both.

Ohhhh, that could explain why the first episode feels like two different episodes that have been slashed to pieces and jammed together, and why that episode ending cliffhanger (at the end of episode five) feels so weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1683947980582273027

Hollywood people are such weird freaks lol