Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

He's a terrible person but a good character. Just like so many others in this series. It's so full of great awful characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

disposablewords posted:

He's a terrible person but a good character. Just like so many others in this series. It's so full of great awful characters.

He's a great character. I'd never have thought I'd want to root for an actual God-character in a novel.

I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sometimes things happen and it's nobody's fault :shobon:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
hey you can't make an omelet without cracking a few planets

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

I think you're missing the planet for the forest.

He really really really hosed it up and kicked off a nuclear war because he was an egotistical dick who couldn't let go and be Jesus 2.0. He could have saved the planet after the trillionaires ran. He could have Death Noted the hearts of everyone on the planet who didn't agree with him. But no, he had to start a nuclear war then kill everyone then kill every planet.

Necro meth is not an excuse for genocide.

I may forgive him after 1000 years of acid though. It's a system designed to reform individuals

It's designed to reform people who annoy Mercymorn with their antics. She was fine with John killing the solar system, but eating peanuts (even discreetly) during an Admiralty meeting? That's beyond the pale!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So, Harrow spoiler, right: I don't want to alarm anyone but a third of Commander Wake's appears to be an Eminem lyric.

Also she is very angry about necromancy indeed, blames what I'm going to guess was all the people who died before the Resurrection on God and also impregnated herself with Gideon the Ninth and is apparently close to Gideon the First and now I don't know what.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wakes name was supposedly taken from a recording of a radio scanning through the channels.

Also there's like 18 individual things you can read into the name and the references and Charlie map them to things that happen in the three books so far.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Dawgstar posted:

So, Harrow spoiler, right: I don't want to alarm anyone but a third of Commander Wake's appears to be an Eminem lyric.

Also she is very angry about necromancy indeed, blames what I'm going to guess was all the people who died before the Resurrection on God and also impregnated herself with Gideon the Ninth and is apparently close to Gideon the First and now I don't know what.

The explanations for her full name (I got this off a fan wiki but I've seen other people lay out the same things) are:

"John's nickname for Commander Wake is "Wake Me Up Inside," which references a popular real-world song "Bring Me to Life" by the band Evanescence.
The first part of Wake's name, "Awake Remembrance of These Valiant Dead" comes from a piece of dialogue by the Bishop of Ely in Act I, Sc 2 of the Shakespeare play Henry V.
The middle of Wake's name, "Kia Hua Ko Te Pai" means "Let goodness flourish" and is a Te Reo line from Aotearoa (New Zealand)'s national anthem, "E Ihowā Atua".
The ending of Wake's name, "Snap Back to Reality Oops There Goes Gravity," is a line from real-world rapper Eminem's song "Lose Yourself" from 2002."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That actually brings up something I was never clear on: Everything SPoiler
Who is Wake? Aside from Gideon's mom, I mean. Who is she to BoE, to Jod, to G1deon?

Did I miss something (one of the drawbacks of consuming books as audiobooks before bed) or is this a "wait for Alecto" thing?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nona and parts of harrow makes it clear that Wake is such a charismatic leader of BoE that she ubites all the squabbling cells under one purpose. That purpose is informed by Cytherea's Intel about RBs, which is how they came up with Herald bullets, and by Mercymourn's plan to open the tomb and release Alecto so they can be done with this tourturous immortal farce. Mercy gave her Jod clones which all died as well as some viable reproductive swimmers. The plan fell apart and Wake used the last few months of her life to gestate Gideon in an attempt to murder a baby at the door and literally blow it open as even only 50% phenotype is enough to bust a bloodward if masked by the thanergy bloom of a proximate death. Wake fails, and suffocates. She's angry enough to attach herself to her own skeleton, and then her daughters sword, and grows some what attached to her budding family in the same way she was sentimental about Pash.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Which comes back to my reread theories since they're fresh again.

Not once does anyone see the moon at Canaan house. So I'm still convinced that the 9th house installation is on Luna, except now I will amend that Job obviously moved the moon into a very remote orbit. Pluto remains thematic and Ceres remains viable but too small.

Cytherea had a way to summon an RB back to Sol, she stayed ot as an offhand comment. And it's implied that it was one of Nonas tantrums that summoned Verun.

And more! We will see what comes true.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

disposablewords posted:

John wasn't wrong.

He just also really, really wasn't right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's still funny to me that I imagined the Lyctors as grown-up version of the kids from Homestuck when I first read Harrow. Solely because of John.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's still funny to me that I imagined the Lyctors as grown-up version of the kids from Homestuck when I first read Harrow. Solely because of John.

Funny because yeah they probably kinda are?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gideon's aviators are a clear metaxtual reference to Dave Strider's, and quite possibly even canonically the same glasses. Given that John is clearly a Dave, and Ianthe is certainly a Vriska-type, in this essay I will

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The locked tomb podcast did an entire interview with some Homestuck luminary, the lore and references are wild.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't bring myself to hate John the way so many people seem to. Like, ok, sure, he killed an entire solar system, but it's not as though he was really in his right mind when he did it. The Earth gave him the power of necromancy with no training, preparation, or explanation. She can't put the tool into his hands without telling him how to use it and then get angry when he fucks it up.

I don't think that there was anything even remotely close to a good outcome for that entire situation.

It's all very biblical, you know. What would happen if someone like Jesus actually appeared in the 21st century, able to cure cancer with a touch. How would our governments and media treat this person? What would you do if you had the powers of god, but the whole world feared and hated you? The Christian god punished humanity's misdeeds with a flood and started over.

John is a horrible, evil person, and also a very normal, very human one.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

silvergoose posted:

The locked tomb podcast did an entire interview with some Homestuck luminary, the lore and references are wild.

Episode 29 if anyone is interested

https://www.lockedtombpod.com/

They also did an interview with Moira Quirk!

Speaking of podcasts, I really hope One Flesh, One End picks up again.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

It's all very biblical, you know. What would happen if someone like Jesus actually appeared in the 21st century, able to cure cancer with a touch. How would our governments and media treat this person? What would you do if you had the powers of god, but the whole world feared and hated you? The Christian god punished humanity's misdeeds with a flood and started over.

This id partly covered by Dostoyevsky's the Grand Inquisitor.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

Episode 29 if anyone is interested

https://www.lockedtombpod.com/

They also did an interview with Moira Quirk!

Speaking of podcasts, I really hope One Flesh, One End picks up again.

Me too, me too. :smith:

Yeah the interview with Moira Quirk is absolutely hilarious, highly recommend.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FuturePastNow posted:

Yes, exactly.

You could also make a comparison to Captain Ahab, I think, seeing how all-consuming his hatred of the people who had destroyed the biosphere was.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The horror in Harrow's head at Mercy calling God something as human as John was so good.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

silvergoose posted:

The horror in Harrow's head at Mercy calling God something as human as John was so good.

Just finished rereading Harrow and the entire dynamic between the Lyctors and John was outstandingly well-written.

"I didn't get to where I am by being able to die, you know?"

mdemone fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 12, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

He's a horrible, evil person because he's a very normal, human one. John's story is essentially Bruce Almighty redone as horror (or at least horror-comedy). What happens when you give a regular human person the power of God? Really bad, awful things because a normal human person isn't going to have the Godlike wisdom or Godlike compassion to go with that Godlike power.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

Or any time he would offer Harrow tea and a cookie.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Or any time he would offer Harrow tea and a cookie.

He's so likable. He didn't mean for all this to happen, obviously, but now here we are.

Edit: I don't see him as horrible or evil, as a person. Disclaimer, I am just now starting Nona.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Everyone posted:

He's a horrible, evil person because he's a very normal, human one. John's story is essentially Bruce Almighty redone as horror (or at least horror-comedy). What happens when you give a regular human person the power of God? Really bad, awful things because a normal human person isn't going to have the Godlike wisdom or Godlike compassion to go with that Godlike power.

Also what if the fuckers that doomed Earth to extinction hired God to save the human species* and then fired him in favor of a different plan to save the human species**.

* They weren't actually paying him to save the human species.
** The alternate plan to save the human species also didn't save the human species.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pseudorandom name posted:

Also what if the fuckers that doomed Earth to extinction hired God to save the human species* and then fired him in favor of a different plan to save the human species**.

* They weren't actually paying him to save the human species.
** The alternate plan to save the human species also didn't save the human species.

*** While also destroying his life's work.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Everyone posted:

Not to defend the literal genocide of humanity, or many horrible things that happened afterward, but it's also a question of "what if you gave a normal human the power of God, then betrayed them and pushed them past the breaking point?" and I think the result isn't surprising at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the genocidal maniac John...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mdemone posted:

He's so likable. He didn't mean for all this to happen, obviously, but now here we are.

Edit: I don't see him as horrible or evil, as a person. Disclaimer, I am just now starting Nona.

Oh yeah, that's the trick. He's so sorry about all the things he did. He wishes they were different.

"Could we maybe stop eating planets, then?"

"No."

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Then we get into the billions of souls he's just keeping in his back pocket for a rainy day, gee wonder if keeping souls in cold storage for millennia does something bad to them and that's why the Ninth is infested with hellworms after getting a fresh batch of resurrecteds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Robo Reagan posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the genocidal maniac John...

I think a better dril post is the candles one

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

Oh yeah, that's the trick. He's so sorry about all the things he did. He wishes they were different.

"Could we maybe stop eating planets, then?"

"No."

Well I subscribe to voluntary extinction theory so that might be informing my choice here

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also there are enough inconsistencies in his tale in Nona that you do wonder if he's dressing up how useful his cryonics project actually was, how good his intentions were, or even how deliberate the plan to evacuate Elon Musk with all his Lambos really was

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The idea of putting ten billion people into ships is completely absurd but idk if that's an author not understanding numbers thing or John being John.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Why not both?

Even if you only saved a few million more it would be better than what they actually got. Even if you saved a few million more *with* a 20% failure rate!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

M_Gargantua posted:

Which comes back to my reread theories since they're fresh again.

Not once does anyone see the moon at Canaan house. So I'm still convinced that the 9th house installation is on Luna, except now I will amend that Job obviously moved the moon into a very remote orbit. Pluto remains thematic and Ceres remains viable but too small.

Cytherea had a way to summon an RB back to Sol, she stayed ot as an offhand comment. And it's implied that it was one of Nonas tantrums that summoned Verun.

And more! We will see what comes true.

Eh, I'm almost certain she meant to summon the River Demons. They got Colum without any discernable involvement from Cytherea at all and it's ground zero for the Great Sin, and they'd love to get their eye-tongues on John Gaius.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

sebmojo posted:

I think a better dril post is the candles one

(accidentaly kills every living being in the solar system with 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tau Wedel posted:

(accidentaly kills every living being in the solar system with 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

:hmmyes: