Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Harathi is back to being Depressed instead of Very Depressed :unsmith:

e: update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Calling dibs on 2909 to finally finish the Trab off. Keeps me out of short range of its infernos, and I'm planning to jump into the gully next turn to mix it up and cover my approach to the Dropship.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

Okay I have a very important question. Do woods impose a penalty on melee attacks? Because if not I can run to 2811 and I’ll have a 6+ to hit with a kick. I’m on the left side so I assume I’d kick the left leg, if I hit the left leg it’ll break and they’ll be doomed to fall over. The medium lasers afterwards would just be insult to injury.

It’s also a decent move defensively. I’ll be on the other side of the woods from anything that wants to hit me, I believe I’m just out of the dropship’s LRM range, and I’ll be in the perfect place to either dive into the woods or walk backwards next turn

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

glwgameplayer posted:

Do woods impose a penalty on melee attacks?

Nope! Woods only affect shooting, so feel free to kick away.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

Nope! Woods only affect shooting, so feel free to kick away.

Excellent!

If anyone has a really good reason why I shouldn’t do that I will stay my hand. But otherwise I’m going with that plan. I’ve been aching to do some melee damage since I got here

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

The medium lasers afterwards would just be insult to injury.

shooting happens before melee
:goonsay:

i haven't looked at the odds but if it's very likely that you'll leg the enemy treb, then it's probably better to shoot at the firestarter

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah I'm just going to take a step back to not get kicked, and blast the treb.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

biosterous posted:

shooting happens before melee
:goonsay:

i haven't looked at the odds but if it's very likely that you'll leg the enemy treb, then it's probably better to shoot at the firestarter

Right. Sorry. That’s more of the video games messing me up.

I forgot we are doing the rule where a broken leg is an instant defeat right? In that case I have a 70 something % chance of taking it out which I am willing to gamble on.

I think I have a 10 or 11 to hit the Firestarter depending on how many woods you count as being between us

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

glwgameplayer posted:

I forgot we are doing the rule where a broken leg is an instant defeat right? In that case I have a 70 something % chance of taking it out which I am willing to gamble on.

Losing a leg counts as a mobility kill, so yes, destroying the Trebuchet's left leg will take it out of play.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

Losing a leg counts as a mobility kill, so yes, destroying the Trebuchet's left leg will take it out of play.

Trebuchet

That settles it, time to sweep the leg.

Moving to 2811 to turn my dream into a reality. Unless the RNG decides to mess me up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hot trebbing action

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This was a quiet turn. Everyone gearing up for the big push.

Ooo, I kinda wish all of them were tiny little miniatures that I could pick up and mash together and make "p-chew! p-chew!" noises with.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Okay, since everybody else should be able to handle the Trebuchet, change of plans: I'm going to 2409 and shooting at the Scorpion tank as part of my ongoing campaign of complete disrespect for the Scorpion battlemech.

(Not gonna lie though, I am a little tempted to go to 2108 and try to kill the Stinger simply because it'd be hilarious to swat him the same turn he finally feels hope)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well, we've just had our first triple crit TAC of the LP.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:sickos:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Scintilla posted:

Well, we've just had our first triple crit TAC of the LP.
:ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's not Battletech until something's missile/MG ammo goes pop.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 8

The Prowler Trebuchet staggered as Archibald’s Blackjack shot it in the chest, adding yet another molten scar to its burnt and blackened armour. Battered and disfigured, with both arms blown off and its left leg worn down to almost nothing, it seemed impossible for the mech to carry on. Yet carry on it did, its ruined visage swivelling to face off against Stephanie’s Trebuchet. A hail of Inferno missiles blasted from its sole remaining launcher, but none found their mark.

As Louis centred his crosshairs on the Trebuchet’s centre of mass he couldn’t help but feel a grudging respect for the enemy pilot. It took guts to keep fighting when most of your weapons and armour had been shot away. The Trebuchet slowed down as it approached the edge of the depression, its weakened leg straining as the mech began to pivot leftwards. Louis pounced in that tiny moment of vulnerability, raising the Reverend’s arms and firing both Medium Lasers.

Only one of Louis’s shots hit, the angry red beam burning away more of the Trebuchet’s ragged chest armour. At first Louis assumed that was that, but moments later a cloud of boiling plasma erupted from the impact site. Some of the laser’s energy must have bled through into the mech’s engine compartment, destroying its shielding and fatally undermining its ability to sustain a fusion reaction. The Trebuchet shuddered to a halt as it lost power. Emergency systems kicked in, locking its gyro and freezing its joints to prevent it from falling.

“That’s an engine kill,” Louis announced, unable to resist a small smirk. “In both senses of the phrase.”

“Good work, Bruiser,” Roger’s voice buzzed over the comms. “Be advised, that Firestarter looks like it’s trying to burn you out.”

"Again?" Louis asked, exasperated. Sure enough, smoke began to drift over the treetops to the south of Louis’s position. Sighing heavily, he brought the Reverend around. He wasn’t worried – yet. Unlike last time, the fire was far off, and he still had the choice of how to deal with it.

No orders received for Hunchback HBK-4G: GM assumes control.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Large Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Left Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 8 damage to Left Torso, 3/11 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Centre Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 5/22 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Three critical hits sustained! Engine Hit! Engine Hit! Engine Destroyed! Mech destroyed by engine destruction!
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Attempts to fire Medium Lasers at Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) but does not have line of sight!

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires PPC at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM-20 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-20 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Flamer at Hex 2914 (Ignite); needs 5, rolls 5: Hits! Flamer needs 4+ to ignite, rolls 6: Fire started in Hex 2914!
-Fires Flamer at Hex 2915 (Ignite); needs 5, rolls 5: Hits! Flamer needs 4+ to ignite, rolls 7: Fire started in Hex 2915!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Fires Large Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 12, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers):
-Fires SRM-6 at Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM-5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 7 heat, sinks 7 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 22 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) gains 11 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers) has fired its weapons and must check for electrical feedback! Rolls a 12! No feedback! Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers) will fire next on Turn 10!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants a bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (0/1)
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (3/9)

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 15th 9:00PM GMT.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oops, I think I might have sent PTN the orders I meant for you, heh.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Oops, I think I might have sent PTN the orders I meant for you, heh.

No problem, I imagine juggling two sets of orders for two different LPs might get confusing. I did my best to extrapolate what you would have done based on your thread comments.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's pretty much a shell now, but with the CT intact that Treb is still salvageable right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

No problem, I imagine juggling two sets of orders for two different LPs might get confusing. I did my best to extrapolate what you would have done based on your thread comments.

Yeah backing up one hex and shooting the treb was exactly what I was going to do so it worked out!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

It's pretty much a shell now, but with the CT intact that Treb is still salvageable right?

Absolutely - it'll need a lot of repair hours, but the Treb can definitely be made to run again.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thabo has the worst luck, got ammo explode'd in the first mission and then TAC engine killed here

at least he got to do a lot more this time!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

One of the Prestons has completed their objective :v:

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Well I’m a little mad that I didn’t get to sweep the leg but that engine crit was beautiful.

I still need to look at the field a bit more but I think I can safely pressure the fire starter with my missiles

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Well I’m a little mad that I didn’t get to sweep the leg but that engine crit was beautiful.

I still need to look at the field a bit more but I think I can safely pressure the fire starter with my missiles

Blackjack

Running 2712 > 2612 > 2613 costs 8 movement but puts you at short range (7 hexes) for your LRMs to the Firestarter if you wanna try bringing it down. Should be 8s to hit.

I'll probably just jump to 2913 or 2712 to position myself for further pushes south and take another LL potshot.

anakha fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 12, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

Blackjack

Running 2712 > 2612 > 2613 costs 8 movement but puts you at short range (7 hexes) for your LRMs to the Firestarter if you wanna try bringing it down. Should be 8s to hit.

Trebuchet

If there's anything I've learned about Battletech, never assume your next move is going to kill the enemy. Even if you''re hitting them with an absolutely terrible salvo of fire. I would be fine just taking some armor off, It doesn't have much armor to begin with.

Initially, my plan was to head to 2814 but I think the elevation would mess with my line of sight. That or the smoke. So yeah I think going to 2613 and firing missiles is a better idea.

One day I'll do what god intended and deal damage with my missiles

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Scintilla posted:

No orders received for Hunchback HBK-4G: GM assumes control.

So, does the GM get the XP for the kill?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

So, does the GM get the XP for the kill?

:hmmyes:

I think a triple engine TAC is worth an extra 200 XP, lemme just roll up a 0/0 pilot with a laundry list of overpowered traits and quirks.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice playing! ... Also if the enemy pilot survives, make sure to hire him! You really do want someone that stupid in your employ!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was wondering about that. My tabletop experience is limited to one-shots so I genuinely have no idea how Thabo is doing. He might hold a grudge, too; though it'd beat being dispossessed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

aniviron posted:

I was wondering about that. My tabletop experience is limited to one-shots so I genuinely have no idea how Thabo is doing. He might hold a grudge, too; though it'd beat being dispossessed.

That's why you recruit him and put him back in the Treb

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And every time he gets blown up, take financially unreasonable measures to rebuild the treb instead of putting him in something else

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

aniviron posted:

I also don't have tabletop experience but, since his mech didn't explode I think he's still alive. Breaking the engine is one of a handful of ways to capture a mech more or less intact (though down an engine obviously. And both arms in this case.) and I think the mech either just, stands there until recovered or eventually falls over.

As much as I wanted to sweep the leg, getting the engine crit might have been better for our salvage score. I'm not sure what's more expensive, replacing the engine or a leg

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I'm going straight south to 2415 and shooting at the Firestarter.

Also judging by his piloting, objective, and overall personality I think Thabo Ngumo is probably going to climb out of that Trebuchet and start chasing after us with his sidearm.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

I also don't have tabletop experience but, since his mech didn't explode I think he's still alive. Breaking the engine is one of a handful of ways to capture a mech more or less intact (though down an engine obviously. And both arms in this case.) and I think the mech either just, stands there until recovered or eventually falls over.

As much as I wanted to sweep the leg, getting the engine crit might have been better for our salvage score. I'm not sure what's more expensive, replacing the engine or a leg

Engines generally are much more valuable and expensive than mech limbs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Azhais posted:

That's why you recruit him and put him back in the Treb

It is 3025. They patch the Treb together and put me back in it.

It is 3049. They patch the Treb together and put me back in it.

It is 3062. They patch the Treb together and put me back in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tibbeh posted:

Engines generally are much more valuable and expensive than mech limbs

The engine is the most expensive part of a mech and it's usually not even close. You'd need to jam a bunch of electronics that don't exist yet in there just to catch up with the cost of a standard engine, not even an XL.