Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can you afford to spend it? Will the discount be available later? If yes to the first and no to the second you should buy it. Mostly though just if you can actually afford it. Nobody here judges you for your purchases. Maybe that hyped up Korean jobber whose name j forget and who's friendship with koga vanished suddenly for worm nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways I bought it because I needed something to read now that I can't Reddit on commutes anymore.

Early Kengan feels weird when I'm reminded that Komada, the guy that Ohma destroyed in Chapter 1, was actually 4-0 in Kengan tournaments and was supposed to play the part that Ohma ended up playing in the Kengan tournament.

Especially since that means Komada would have gone up against Rihito, the Medicine Man, and Sekibayashi.

Seriously doubt he would have beaten the first and the third, and even if he did beat the second he'd probably be out of commission.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think those fights were specifically for ohma to make sure he was tournament ready and get commented on or something. Worth remembering he was very specifically just an extra nogi shoved in while pinning his hopes on hatsumi sen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it all came down to backroom deals, anyway. the tournament itself mostly served to stall hayami so that he'd have to attempt a coup, which they were prepared for.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah it was metsudoh goading nogi because he was old and bored and wanted to make sure someone handled hayami because he was extremely arrogant which is why every time he stepped up he ate poo poo until it killed him

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I've gotten up to Nezu vs Rei so far and by golly Kengan Asura is so good.

I think the trip on the ship to right before the start of the tournament is one of my favorite bits of Kengan cause it introduces you to all the fighters and CEOs and their company ranks and all the secret shady stuff going in the background.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Pretty pleased about Mukaku. I was pretty worried he'd be beaten in one panel or even offscreen but he's looked pretty impressive overall. Also like how he seems like the bad guy here. He is such an rear end in a top hat the connector is sick of him when he seems to get along with the main cast.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think the trip on the ship to right before the start of the tournament is one of my favorite bits of Kengan cause it introduces you to all the fighters and CEOs and their company ranks and all the secret shady stuff going in the background.

and also we get to see jerry tyson in action

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerry Tyson developing a fighting style based around weapons cause he thinks basing fighting styles around animals we can easily kill is lame is the greatest origin story ever told.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

everything going on in the story and in this chapter. It's all very bad. There's cringe in the kengan

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ok, I know the visuals are from Gaoh's perspective because I refuse to believe that Huisiang does anything more than give the subject highly descriptive words of events that happened in the "originals" past. But part of me believes the writer has this all happen from Sen's memories and I find that funnier than I should. This is the best chapter with Gaoh in it out of every chapter in Omega and that's a shame because he's probably dead in the next one. But not too much a shame because I've grown tired of this old man who never needed this much screen time

Electric Phantasm posted:

Jerry Tyson developing a fighting style based around weapons cause he thinks basing fighting styles around animals we can easily kill is lame is the greatest origin story ever told.

"why would I imitate a mantis when a missile kills far more people in a single blow?" is indeed a fantastic realization.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This does setup a kuroki gensai revenge fight I think at least

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

TBH it does make me wonder why Gensai was even his friend to begin with, Gensai was an assassin but he hates scumbags and Gaoh is one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kuroki's friend

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Jose posted:

Why? Kuroki was buddies with Ohma's Niko, and to our knowledge he has never even met Gaoh. Kuroki's master was Gaoh's friend, and he's the one who filled Kuroki in on the whole Tokita Niko-thing.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Kuroki's military friend is definitely the final boss of the series

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

my parents boyfriend posted:

Kuroki's military friend is definitely the final boss of the series

Shen Wulong is about to kill Ohma, Agito, and koga. Gensai is nowhere to be seen. Suddenly, like Morgan Freeman from wanted Shen's head explodes from the back as a bullet flies out of his skull and out of his forehead. Gensai is seen with his eyes closed, pondering what just happened while subsequently nodding in agreement. Next to him is a man in full body armor and a mirrored combat helmet. A carbine raised and a thin whisp of smoke emitting from the end of the barrel.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Having marathoned all of Kengan Ashura in like, 4 days, gently caress that was a good reread.

Although I feel like some of the omake chapters were missing from the Korean volumes? Or maybe they were in Volume 0? Or Omega?

But I remember reading scans of 4komas with like, Rihito and Gang getting stranded on a deserted island/forming a band/etc., Nikaido Ren getting convinced to wear a bunch of different clothes by his followers, etc. etc. that never showed up in the Korean volumes.

Like they had the side chapters, like Cosmo teaching the female CEOs how to do jiujitsu or the foreign fighters meeting up to discuss Japanese culture and so forth.

They did have some 4komas, like Kure bingo. Just not all the ones I remember seeing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently that’s a common Wuxia thing so it makes sense for the Chinese superman to have it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RatHat posted:

Apparently that’s a common Wuxia thing so it makes sense for the Chinese superman to have it

Now that I remember, Libra Dohko also did it on Saint Seiya...

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
This is so dumb.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I mean, they call it qi for a reason.

Chapter link.

So there's two connectors. Maybe more. Not sure I like that.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I mean, they call it qi for a reason.

Chapter link.

So there's two connectors. Maybe more. Not sure I like that.

I had a random thought when they first revealed the whole shebang with Ed Wu and "soul transfer" or whatever like why won't they make more of the same super persons so they don't get bored or whatever. So it's not that surprising to me. At this point I embrace fantasy elements and try to have fun.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am not sure how much I like there being multiple connectors and one of them being connected (lol) to Ohma. With the current track record, you can just see the big final battle being between two connectors and one of them somehow being Ohma.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Lol ok so if Ohma is the Tiger's Vessel then Ryuki should be the Dragon's Vessel. This Connector is the Dragon, his name is literally Shenwulong. So where's the Tiger Connector? We're going to end up with an entire Zodiac of Connectors. I want to see the Bunny's Vessel and their corresponding Connector.

Also, I hope they introduce each one with their full epithet and name each time

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Ah, so he's mastered the art of "not breathing". *nods sagely with arms crossed from the sidelines*

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I still don't understand what's so special about that. Everyone eventually masters the art of not breathing. :colbert:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warden posted:

This is so dumb.
It's like someone thought that Hayami's coup from Asura was actually good and decided that the story should focus on something like that rather than good fights.

I hate it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the good fights and the various characters hanging out, being buds.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Sandrovich may need to take a break from the bong rips to actually plan out a story. Lol at strategically creating "safe zones" in a room full of carbon monoxide with other AC units. Lol at the Connector monologuing while not breathing

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I liked when fishing grandpa was the dude who was really good at holding his breath while spear fishing, and could even take on a whale.

This, though... it's something else. This is like Dragonball Z-level stuff, reminds me of Freeza surviving in space as a special species of mutant. It's silly.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_pB_sXob3A

Kengan season 2 trailer is out

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Man, it's incredible what those 4000 years of chinese martial arts can do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

yum posted:

Lol ok so if Ohma is the Tiger's Vessel then Ryuki should be the Dragon's Vessel. This Connector is the Dragon, his name is literally Shenwulong. So where's the Tiger Connector? We're going to end up with an entire Zodiac of Connectors. I want to see the Bunny's Vessel and their corresponding Connector.

Also, I hope they introduce each one with their full epithet and name each time

I can't wait for this to escalate to Xiaolin Showdown season 3

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is moving past baki and straight into otokojuku

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Tbf ohma was shadowboxing underwater at 100% intensity for minutes at a time all the way back in KA.

To be even more fair, this is dumb as poo poo lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Ohma to unlock his Ultraman powers as this escalates into Kongō Banchō

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rereading the old Omega chapters and drat the Worm legit seemed threatening all the way up until Chapter 50, when Ohma and Raian appear to kick their asses in.

Prior to that you have them sneaking in, killing, and replacing fighters / Kengan Association staff. Like, the conversation where Idematsu tells Yamashita that the Fake!Mumon was using a different style of Snake Fist was a big moment where Yamashita realizes he might not even be able to trust the very people around him.

You have Yamashita learning that the Worm has been in contact with both his son and one of Japan's most notorious serial killers.

Then you have Xia Ji sneaking around and having his men steal Ohma's hair so Yamashita ends up with the wrong results.

And then you have one of Xia Ji's dudes kill the guy in charge of conducting tests for would-be fighters and that poo poo is loving brutal, the dude has the top part of his head sliced off via wire. That's loving gruesome poo poo.

And finally you have Xia Ji and his boys ready to kill both Koga and Yamashita.

And then after that Xia Ji and the Worms rapidly start becoming cartoonish evil dudes who never win a loving fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this is moving past baki and straight into otokojuku

Otokojuku is entertaining.