Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SpacePig posted:

Is there anyone after Toga that needs to have resolution before Shigaraki? I'm hoping we're reaching the end for real soon. I'm just so tired of this hero academia.

All for One, I guess. And, uh... the weird assassin guy trying to kill cheese boy, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

we still technically have to finally, finally wrap whatever's going on with the teacher and the other teacher and the man made of black mist who used to be the third member of their naruto team

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

the last like two years of the manga has probably been like

three or four hours in-universe

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Just you wait, Dabi is going to find a way to come back again for round three and will somehow be nothing but a talking skull by the end of it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Oxxidation posted:

all for one and stain versus one for all

another few months spent with the world’s least interesting badman

All Might has gotta be so dead by now lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But he is here

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

But he is here

And when All For One is done with him, he'll also be there, and there, and on the wall over there...

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

It was also always fake as all hell and Shigaraki was clearly his final vengeance against All Might. He probably legitimately did not expect to ver be free, but he was never interested in Shigiraki's success anything more than an extension of All for One's whole thing. In contrast to All Might actually mentoring and encouraging Izuku to grow into his own sort of hero.

All for One sold it incredibly well, but I at least was always sure he was on some level full of poo poo, Shigaraki as a successor is the only chance he has and fits his petty rear end in a top hat nature, not some legitimate desire for mentorship.

Helping someone grow and develop their talents in order to spite your hated enemy is still, nonetheless, helping them develop their talents.

So yeah AfO was always using Shigaraki, and only ever cared about him as an instrument of revenge. But Shigaraki already knows that and doesn’t care, because it’s still better than society has treated him. That’s what made their dynamic interesting - AfO was a “good” mentor, whilst having obviously awful motives.

That gets ruined with the dumb body jacking attempts though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

It's okay he's getting better

It would be the funniest option if he never came back.

Rhonne posted:

Just you wait, Dabi is going to find a way to come back again for round three and will somehow be nothing but a talking skull by the end of it.

Ghost of Dabi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7429/my-hero-academia-chapter-394

hey

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, on the one hand, I feel like with this chapter I finally "get" Toga beyond just the surface-level pathology

But on the other hand, that understanding comes from the character literally stating outright what drives her in the most literal possible way, and at the last possible moment

Kind of a wash for me, personally

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's almost as if she probably should have had actual development in her arc as the series went on rather than just repeating the surface level thing over and over in every one of her major scenes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The manga definitely put way too much emphasis on the blood fixation, which was the initial cause of her ostracization but not necessarily the most important factor.

We spend so long with Toga as the crazy girl who stabs people, and then even when we're given a better understanding of of the character's circumstances, she's still trying to stab people and Uraraka is at fault for saying "don't do that" with no reason to think she's not just the crazy girl who stabs people.

It just kinda feels like we came at this backwards. If we (and Ochako, for that matter) got all this way earlier and Ochako still didn't understand, then this moment would have actual growth, and the initial rejection would be more tragic because we would understand Toga better too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I 'got' it due to my genius and expert analysis of characters. And also because I think they've said this before.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arist posted:

We spend so long with Toga as the crazy girl who stabs people, and then even when we're given a better understanding of of the character's circumstances, she's still trying to stab people and Uraraka is at fault for saying "don't do that"
.[/spoiler]

She is at fault.

Her gf can have a little stabbing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
something so sad about that being all uraraka had to say about herself

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, of all the ways I saw this conflict ending, Uraraka embracing a naked Toga and calling her the most beautiful girl in the world wasn't one of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol Toga's dumbass happy face better make it exactly that way into the anime

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I liked this. The thing that makes it not really hit for me is that Toga is right. They're literally gonna just throw her in prison for life. There's no way that we're going to see some real rehabilitation going on that isn't just "Well Toga/Spinner/etc all get put in a minimum security prison forever and ever and ever and maybe get visits or a therapist to make their inevitable life sentences seem okay".

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah Toga is gonna get the Orchimaru treatment. Able to roam around but can't be anywhere near the city. :v:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Ochako is gonna go on the run to keep her new girlfriend out of prison.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
after shiggy iced stars and stripes toga will be lucky to get a trial

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mymla posted:

Ochako is gonna go on the run to keep her new girlfriend out of prison.

Ochako is going to bleed out and die the next chapter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That panel of Toga about to stab Little 'Raka's giving me massive Claymore (By Norihiro Yagi) vibes

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

Ochako is going to bleed out and die the next chapter.

If only someone nearby had a whole lot of blood.:haw:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I liked this. The thing that makes it not really hit for me is that Toga is right. They're literally gonna just throw her in prison for life. There's no way that we're going to see some real rehabilitation going on that isn't just "Well Toga/Spinner/etc all get put in a minimum security prison forever and ever and ever and maybe get visits or a therapist to make their inevitable life sentences seem okay".

I mean, a lot of heroes are dead, the country is in chaos, and the ultramax prison normally used for the scariest villains no longer exists.

Letting Toga (and probably others) pay off her debt to society in the field rather than exclusively behind bars for life is the most practical solution here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shindragon posted:

Nah Toga is gonna get the Orchimaru treatment. Able to roam around but can't be anywhere near the city. :v:

Orochimaru can freely enter the city, someone just keeps an eye on him while he's there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Sooooo...from what I've gathered this is either the greatest arc in shonen history(or at very least this mangas history) or a monumental fail. In either case, it's a massive poo poo show so if someone can give the cliff notes of both of these angles it would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I'm leaning a bit towards fail based on the bits I've gotten, but I'm not familiar with WTF is going on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

doomrider7 posted:

Sooooo...from what I've gathered this is either the greatest arc in shonen history(or at very least this mangas history) or a monumental fail. In either case, it's a massive poo poo show so if someone can give the cliff notes of both of these angles it would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I'm leaning a bit towards fail based on the bits I've gotten, but I'm not familiar with WTF is going on.

Read the last few chapters yourself I'm not your mom, lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

this “arc” has been going on for the last eighteen months, it’s the Naruto ninja war thing where every character beat ends up getting couched in an endless meandering fight scene

some of those beats are better than others but the overall context sucks

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Are you talking about the whole arc? Lemme see if I can remember everything just so I can refresh my own memory of what's been going on.

quote:

The heroes did some last second training and found out that Invisigirl Cheese Boy was a reluctant traitor because his parents loudly decided to discuss it in the open. Everyone immediately forgave him and then (consensually?) brainwashed his parents into lying to AFO to lure him into a trap. Toga then decided that this would be a good time to confess how much she wants to stab Deku in his kidney and pulled him away from his fight portal, only for him to upset her by pointing out that he needs his kidneys and running away. After that...

- Shigaraki no sold everything for a positively absurd amount of time, leading to Bakugo's heart exploding and Edgeshot turning into a new heart for him. I assume the backlash to this chapter has been overwhelmingly negative, because Hori has quite notably not touched this development with a 50-foot pole since it happened. Following that, Deku anticlimactically showed back up after being helped back to the fight grounds by Star's support team and then some offscreen fighting happened.

- All for One no sold everything for a positively absurd amount of time, but also managed to get humiliated by any number of minor characters multiple times in a row. Eventually, he activated a 1-Up after being killed by Endeavor and stole Hawks' Quirk before being scared away by Mineta, everyone's favorite character. All Might then showed up in a mecha suit to distract him from getting to Shiggy.

- Spinner became an advocate for anti-mutant oppression but had all of his intelligence drained in the process. Eventually, Shouji showed up and solved racism by saying that they were setting the pro-mutant movement back by 50 years and shaming them into going home. Spinner also freed Kurogiri, who is warping around doing... something.

- Skeptic got bullied offline by La Brava, and Gentle also made his triumphant YouTube comeback.

- Dabi no sold everything for a positively absurd amount of time, but eventually revealed that he was secretly using ice powers all along to not die. His parents and siblings then sent him to his room, finally putting him down for the count(?).

- Toga had a very angry rant about how no one understands or appreciates her, followed by Uraraka inadvertently(?) being written to have more romantic chemistry with her in the span of one fight than she's had with Deku in hundreds of chapters now. The fight then ends with Uraraka telling Toga that she's a 10/10 while they hug.

I think that's about everything relevant.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Whoa I forgot about the Spinner stuff completely

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like this chapter and I'm going to headcanon that the end was just discretely cutting away from the very obviously telegraphed and real mid-air sloppy makeout.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

- Shigaraki no sold everything for a positively absurd amount of time, leading to Bakugo's heart exploding and Edgeshot turning into a new heart for him. I assume the backlash to this chapter has been overwhelmingly negative, because Hori has quite notably not touched this development with a 50-foot pole since it happened. Following that, Deku anticlimactically showed back up after being helped back to the fight grounds by Star's support team and then some offscreen fighting happened.

On that note, in about 2 weeks Bakugo will have been dead for a whole year. All we need is another 2 chapters of Toga and Uraraka making googly eyes at each other for them to make it happen, come on girls!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Speaking of Shigaraki I still find it funny that Tamaki's meal of the day plasma cannon or whatever didn't put a dent on him when being suppressed by Monoma, but when that's gone he takes damage from hair bullets.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I’m pretty sure togas clones tore a dude in half a chapter or two ago. That girls going to jail for life

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is funny how they had to throw Deku's name in there because otherwise this is just two girls plainly in love.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

Speaking of Shigaraki I still find it funny that Tamaki's meal of the day plasma cannon or whatever didn't put a dent on him when being suppressed by Monoma, but when that's gone he takes damage from hair bullets.

I had to struggle for way too long to remember who the hell used hair bullets.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

”Now, they’re going, to boff in the aa-ir”

Seriously, that was probably the closest thing to a love confession we’re probably going to get in this series (and I hope it remains as unedited as possible when the anime gets around to this scene)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 14, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Whoa I forgot about the Spinner stuff completely

I did too, which is weird because I would have been pretty confident we were leaning towards a whole “Spinner, the only actual friend Shiragaki has probably ever made, reaches out to his buddy who is being possessed by AFO” deal so having him just be a glorified Nomu seemed like it would stick out in some kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

rip twice, sorry dude, straight up no one cares that you died, sad man's second parade was a bust narratively, you were a terrible friend to toga, and hawks probably isn't gonna be a real character or otherwise addressed in this manga again

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 14, 2023