Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

extreme wind events are extremely rare but have been in the game for years. like, even in calypso, in the much harsher permadeath universe, i have only come across them maybe three times in the thousand+ hours i have in this game.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can confirm they're real

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They should give you an option to start in Calypso

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Flesh Forge posted:

They should give you an option to start in Calypso

yeah i think its really fun

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I fired this up for the first time in about 4 years.

I can make pies now.

10/10

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I picked this up during the summer sale, and I've been playing it a lot. It seems super great, I've been needing a good sandbox. Burned out on my usual suspects, like Kenshi and Valheim. It reminds me a lot of the old Privateer game, but obviously much more attractive and with much more to do. I can see how eventually it'll lose its charm, but right now I'm enjoying all of the variety that it has to offer. I just got a settlement, I've got a crappy freighter, a good fighter, lots of jetpack upgrades, working on a base! Always something to do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Found a pretty nifty black sentinel ship in Calypso with cool wings, a little blue pinstriping and good slotting :pervert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That's a pretty nice one.

Just copped this little number in A, might spend the nanites to upgrade. I like that the lower wings look like ant bait traps. Probably going to shop around a little more first though, I've got a bunch of dreadnaught things.

I'm purging myself of my lovely old ships from when I played previously, including an S class explorer that somehow has 0 supercharged slots. And dumping an S class hauler and S shuttle as I don't see a lot of purpose to them.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
drat, I got a production line set up to make fusion ignitors and thought I had infinite money. Just realized that when you reach 30 slots in your exosuit or ship or whatever, another row opens up. Apparently I do not have infinite money, I just have about a slot per day money.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The exosuit is always cheap though right isn’t it 200k for each one at each space station? Mine is maxed.

I actually haven’t hosed around with adding slots to my ships as I’m still having fun finding new ships. But I’m pretty sure I’ve amassed like 30 ship slot tokens mostly from the corrupted sentinel base thingies you go to to locate interceptors. Ship slots seem less necessary than suit slots anyway to me.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the exosuit is cheap. I think slots on my multi tool are 110 million each, though

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

The exosuit is always cheap though right isn’t it 200k for each one at each space station? Mine is maxed.

I actually haven’t hosed around with adding slots to my ships as I’m still having fun finding new ships. But I’m pretty sure I’ve amassed like 30 ship slot tokens mostly from the corrupted sentinel base thingies you go to to locate interceptors. Ship slots seem less necessary than suit slots anyway to me.

you think that now, but then you'll suddenly want to equip three different weapons with all their upgrades and mods, and suddenly, a lot of those slots are gone

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Is there a reason to get new multi-tools or is upgrading the starter one by adding slots and upgrading the class an acceptable way to go?

Same with ships. I got a B class Sentinel ship and I guess if I go hunting for an S class I’ll benefit from more tech and cargo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a few reasons to hunt for a better one, the biggest one being supercharged slot placement - the starter multitool has the supercharged slots spread out, but if you have multiple supercharged slots adjacent to each other whatever you slot in them gets dramatically more powerful, whether it's a weapon or the mining beam or the scanner, the effectiveness of the mods gets much much stronger. Also there's just the aesthetics of how it looks, and you can probably find one with more unlocked slots. Upgrading the class isn't actually that big a deal, once you have a few million credits you can shop at pirate stations for suspicious weapon/upgrade mod packs and make a lot of nanites without combat and in a short time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The biggest problem with upgrading is that you never know where the supercharged slots will go and if you're really looking to maximize performance it can make a big difference.

Like having infraknife with 1 SC slot might be 40k DPS, 2 60k DPS, 3 75k DPS, and 3 really optimally placed 90k DPS. That said it's not like the game is that hard without super powerful stuff, but chasing the stuff is also part of the game if you're into that sort of thing. If you just like flying around and looking at alien dogs then it doesn't matter much.

Speaking of I'm up to 602,047 credits for fauna scan max, that poo poo adds up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have help collecting interceptors.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Holy poo poo. The yawning portal has opened. Universe 666 now open.

E: i love your cat!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’ve just been warping around, doing base mission (which I’m done with, boring), finished Artemis, now heading to the galaxy center which if I remember brings me to another galaxy? Maybe I’ll have better odds of finding better ships and a tool there. It’s a new game for me after not playing for a year or 2, pretty impressed with how much they have added.

What’s portal 666??

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Douchebag posted:

Is there a reason to get new multi-tools or is upgrading the starter one by adding slots and upgrading the class an acceptable way to go?

Same with ships. I got a B class Sentinel ship and I guess if I go hunting for an S class I’ll benefit from more tech and cargo.

Multi-tool definitely. The starting one tends to be just a dinky pistol, and multi-tools have maximum slot numbers set by type, not only by class like ships. There's also weird special powers: A rifle is better at combat, for example. Experimentals (look ironically like big space cannons) have a bonus to exploration, and royal multi-tools are better at everything.

Some of the higher-grade multi-tools also look helluva sweet, if aesthetics sway your more than function.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the "better at everything" aspect stops being super meaningful though because you will get to the point where it isn't all that worth your time to be scanning stuff on planets (except for completing missions, the scan value isn't that big a deal) or mining stuff with your hand mining too, once you figure out how to mine on the surface or in the water with a ship. damage output matters, some sentinel enemies are suuuuper tedious to kill with an ordinary weapon so it's very helpful to have something tweaked out with really good slot adjacency. seems like the best way to unlock slots for your multitool is either grind out tons of money with a rube goldberg factory or do missions that award multitool expansion modules.

I didn't know there was a lot of variation in performance between the types, that's neat! what are the other types good at?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

the "better at everything" aspect stops being super meaningful though because you will get to the point where it isn't all that worth your time to be scanning stuff on planets (except for completing missions, the scan value isn't that big a deal) or mining stuff with your hand mining too, once you figure out how to mine on the surface or in the water with a ship. damage output matters, some sentinel enemies are suuuuper tedious to kill with an ordinary weapon so it's very helpful to have something tweaked out with really good slot adjacency. seems like the best way to unlock slots for your multitool is either grind out tons of money with a rube goldberg factory or do missions that award multitool expansion modules.

I didn't know there was a lot of variation in performance between the types, that's neat! what are the other types good at?

From memory:

Pistols: Mining bonus + lowest number of max. slots, even at S-rank
Rifles: Damage bonus + can reach maximum slots at S-rank
Experimentals: Scanning bonus + see rifles
Royals: Everything bonus + see rifles

Though my knowledge isn't the end all there is. If someone knows more details, they can and should correct me!

On scanning: While it's true you shouldn't do activities you don't consider fun, you can easily get into the range of up to 500k pay-outs per scan at the high-end. Even my haphazardly thrown together shitfests on my old save would generally vary between 150-400k credits.

And since the nanites for S-class scan upgrades are easier to get than the kind of money that would make scanning at high payouts pointless, even in early game you can get to max or near may payouts pretty drat fast. For an early game player, it's easily one of the easiest way to make money.

Hell, one of the latest updates made it so you can remove and mothball upgrades from your inventory, so you don't even have to worry about your (in early game) nanite-expensive upgrades getting lost or stuck in a multi-tool you don't want anymore: Just pull them out and put them into your new toy!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Douchebag posted:

What’s portal 666??

I was just messin around. Black cat yawning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ZombieCrew posted:

I was just messin around. Black cat yawning.

Portal 666 is what happens when you make it to the center of galaxy 256 everyone that has gone through it has never been heard from again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When you go to S from B does it sometimes add 1 and sometimes 2 supercharged slots? I know the SC slots are built in to ship and reloading doesn't make a difference but wanted to make sure that 2 will sometimes become 4 when you do two upgrades.

Was hoping for three adjacent on this one but didn't get it and only got 1 extra for a total of 3

e: ah, it looks like they all will have 4 but the other one would have been in a slot that wasn't unlocked yet.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 31, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah all B-class have 2 supercharged slots, all A-class have 3, all S-class have 4, but they are not necessarily uncovered when you upgrade a lower class ship. I'm fairly sure they'll always be visible for the ship's original class (i.e. if you find it at A-class I'm pretty sure all 3 slots will be visible). As you do a lot of ship scrapping you will accumulate ship storage expansion modules, which you can use to uncover likely slots (or just use money of course, if you have a lot) - you don't really need a whole lot of them, you only care about 3 or 4 adjacent slots and it shouldn't take many tries to figure that out. NB it isn't random at all, so if you are super unlucky at guessing which slots to unlock but you have some hope that another set of choices might be better, you can just savescum it, reload your restore point made when you docked.

Libluini posted:

On scanning: While it's true you shouldn't do activities you don't consider fun, you can easily get into the range of up to 500k pay-outs per scan at the high-end. Even my haphazardly thrown together shitfests on my old save would generally vary between 150-400k credits.

yeah I mean, once you are at the point where you can salvage sentinel ships - which doesn't take any risk at all, if you take a little time to find a pirate + dissonant system - each of those are 20 - 50 million a pop. if you wanted to, you could start doing this literally from the moment you get off the starter planet.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 1, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah all B-class have 2 supercharged slots, all A-class have 3, all S-class have 4, but they are not necessarily uncovered when you upgrade a lower class ship. I'm fairly sure they'll always be visible for the ship's original class (i.e. if you find it at A-class I'm pretty sure all 3 slots will be visible). As you do a lot of ship scrapping you will accumulate ship storage expansion modules, which you can use to uncover likely slots (or just use money of course, if you have a lot) - you don't really need a whole lot of them, you only care about 3 or 4 adjacent slots and it shouldn't take many tries to figure that out. NB it isn't random at all, so if you are super unlucky at guessing which slots to unlock but you have some hope that another set of choices might be better, you can just savescum it, reload your restore point made when you docked.

yeah I mean, once you are at the point where you can salvage sentinel ships - which doesn't take any risk at all, if you take a little time to find a pirate + dissonant system - each of those are 20 - 50 million a pop. if you wanted to, you could start doing this literally from the moment you get off the starter planet.

True, but if you don't consider this fun, you shouldn't do it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jackpot

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Its possible to farm a planet out of ships isn't it? I farmed maybe a dozen off this planet from two different locations but all the ships were within like 35 seconds of each of those two locations and they were on opposite sides of the planet so I figured there must be at least a few dozen more ships in different locations but after my second location ran dry I tried a dreadnaught AI in a different quadrant of the planet and it just took me halfway around the world to one of the old ones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Very nice ship!

The locations where a ship can be available to be salvaged are fixed, the ships themselves are fixed, and when you pick one up that location is empty for "a while" but it does respawn eventually. it is super aggravating when it sends you to a location you already cleared, you can just reload your restore point if you get a dead spot. I don't have any idea how the number of locations on a planet is figured but it feels like there are fewer on the very tiny planets so I suspect it's just randomly distributed based on size of the planet.

e: I think that's a really good base damage value too, although that doesn't matter a lot in practice compared to the slotting

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Douchebag posted:

What’s portal 666??

Where we're going, we don't need eyes to see

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
How difficult are the space battles for dreadnaught AI's? I'll fight sentinels all day long on foot, but I've never pushed it in space past the capital ship arriving.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you can shoot the turrets off one side of the ship and then it can't do damage, it's a lot easier than you probably think. it comes with a few fighters that try to assist but tbh you can just ignore them and quickly kill the dreadnought, there isn't a lot of point in engaging the fighters as they will keep spawning infinitely and they're not very good at assisting the dreadnought.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

litany of gulps posted:

How difficult are the space battles for dreadnaught AI's? I'll fight sentinels all day long on foot, but I've never pushed it in space past the capital ship arriving.

I’m the exact opposite but tbf my ships are top tier but I haven’t spent much time on my multi tool.

They’re easy as gently caress with a infra knife that does 30k+ DPS. With 70k+ DPS you can take them down without even charging your shields once.

I think if you take out the first wave of fighters you get a brief window of just you and the dreadnaught but yeah probably easier to hose down the dreadnaughts turrets and then just finish it off.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh yeah protip: you can map "recharge shields" to a hotkey, the game isn't super good about conveying this and for me it breaks whenever I change ships but it makes it way easier if you can just hit 1 and your shields are recharged. costs a tiny amount of sodium or various other cheap items.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

it's a lot easier than you probably think.

OK, this was true. I have a 27k DPS electron projector or whatever the spaceship shotgun is. Turrets blew up in a single shot each, capital ship basically went down after an unceremonious magdump or two.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

congratulations, you can now collect awesome sentinel ships/make shittons of money
e: you can usually skip one or two stages of escalation to get the dreadnought to appear if you engage the stage 1-4 fighters in atmosphere on a planet, for some reason it goes right to stage 3 a lot of times, but the catch is the dreadnought will spawn just at the edge of atmosphere and you can't see it or shoot it until you exit atmosphere. if you leave atmo before the dreadnought spawns it will reset your stage back to 1. super immersion breaking but it saves a couple minutes each cycle if you're doing a bunch of these.

a simpler way to repeatably get sentinel fighters on you is to just shoot the space station a little bit to kick off stage 1.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 3, 2023

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

congratulations, you can now collect awesome sentinel ships/make shittons of money

I have a cool exotic ship that looks like a giant banana, I'm not sure that sentinel ships can do much better!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

but you have 12 slots!
oh and you can hunt for ones with optimal superslot arrangement, aside from making all the money

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Planning on doing a screen shot dump of my current ship stable I’d like to see other peoples too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

litany of gulps posted:

I have a cool exotic ship that looks like a giant banana, I'm not sure that sentinel ships can do much better!

Flesh Forge posted:

but you have 12 slots!

Ship Aesthetics should always take precedence over Ship Utility :colbert:

Edit: (GSV) Aesthetics Over Utility

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 3, 2023