Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The problem is that Sukuna just has so many more cards to play potentially. He has whatever he used to smoke Jogou still, and I am fairly sure we haven't seen all of the shadow shikigami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

The problem is that Sukuna just has so many more cards to play potentially. He has whatever he used to smoke Jogou still, and I am fairly sure we haven't seen all of the shadow shikigami.

Counterpoint: Gojo still has 5 more colors of the rainbow left

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It’s pretty important for Gojo to beat 10 Shadows here and force Sukuna to reveal whatever he used against Jogou. Gojo is supposed to be the strongest 6 Eyes/Limitless user in history, so defeating the technique that killed his predecessor, even if it’s being used by Sukuna, would solidify that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
considering the state he's in i can see gojo maybe getting a double KO against mahoraga, cause sukuna's got a buncha fish to fry and the versatility of ten shadows would be great for that

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I believe we've seen nine of ten shadows so far unless Divine Dogs count as two, that's unlikely though as Rabbit Escape has a bunch of rabbits. It makes sense for Sukuna not to be using any shadows other than Mahoraga. Any shadow shikigami that gets destroyed is permanently dead. I'm pretty sure Gojo could nuke any of them without breaking a sweat even while fighting Sukuna outside their domains. The destroyed shikigami's power does return to the user and they can create things like Divine Dogs: Totality. Mahoraga is so strong I don't think any fusion would make it much stronger. It's better to have various summons in reserve even if you never fight someone as strong as Gojo again.

I agree that Sukuna's arrow will likely be the decider. When he showed it to Jogo he said something like "you should know what this is, oh you're a cursed spirit so I guess you wouldn't". Sukuna recited the incantation "open" while using the arrow. I think his arrow is tied to the fundamental understanding of cursed technique that Sukuna has and no one else seems to. My theory is the arrow is an ability that can infuse itself with a target's technique and fire it back at them. I first thought this when he used a fire arrow on Jogo. The explanation of domain amplification we received fits nicely with my theory. Creating a domain and letting the opponent's technique fill it instead of your own to neutralise their technique. Sukuna's arrow might be a higher application of this where he also uses not just absorbs an opponent's technique. Then again the catastrophe curses are the first ones we saw using amplification and Sukuna didn't think Jogo would know what he was talking about.

I feel Gojo still has to land a hard hit on Sukuna that can't just be healed with RCT right after like Kenjaku did after fighting Yuri. I suppose wasting Mahoraga will make things a bit easier on the others. As well as everyone being aware of Sukuna breaking barriers from outside in a domain battle and so on. Stay strong Gojo! Fighting!

A neat detail in the official scans (I'm assuming based on the JP text):

Every time Gojo and Sukuna simultaneously open their domains it gets a distinct impact font

However the time Gojo finally wins the domain raise it subtly offsets the text instead

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The arrow could be a cursed item couldn’t it? That seems like the kinda thing only sorcerers would know about.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheHan posted:

The arrow could be a cursed item couldn’t it? That seems like the kinda thing only sorcerers would know about.

Oh that's a neat idea. I'd been kicking around the idea that cursed spirits wouldn't understand much about cursed energy. They're born as wombs then fully form pretty much. They also wouldn't wonder about the nature of cursed energy as they're pure cursed energy already. They also embody a human fear so they'd never think about stuff like "why is this my inborn technique and can it change?". They wouldn't have to work stuff out or study and practice like humans. Mahito is an obvious exception but being the "human" curse it makes sense his growth was similar to a person's. That's just my vague thoughts on why Sukuna thinks a powerful (or possibly old) spirit would know some core concept that was common in Sukuna's time. Before correcting himself that a curse wouldn't know/think about that thing.

I wouldn't be surpirsed if Gojo has a backup plan for Mahoraga. He's familiar with how it works and hopefully had a Plan B incase he couldn't nuke it for some reason. Also curious how it treats stuff like Hollow Blue vs Red, they're the same technique but powered differently so the damage is done very differently vs Sukuna having two of the same attack. I don't think it'll matter though because it got it's immunity during DE so I assume it's the core technique it's totally immune to now.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

We saw that Mahoraga was adapting to the applications of Sukuna's cut CT individually at Shibuya, didn't we?

Someone a few posts back mentioned that we never saw what Gojo actually did with Toji's inverted spear of heaven and in 228 we see Gojo state pretty explicitly that he knew he was going to have to deal with Mahoraga at some point.

He probably thought he could oneshot him but one would think he'd have some kind of contingency plan in case that doesn't work out, especially given that the narrative provides the reasonably logical one I spoilered

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fully expect Gojos plan to be the plan everyone has against shikigami users go for the user

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
we'll see what the rabbits have to say about that.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Tosk posted:

We saw that Mahoraga was adapting to the applications of Sukuna's cut CT individually at Shibuya, didn't we?

Someone a few posts back mentioned that we never saw what Gojo actually did with Toji's inverted spear of heaven and in 228 we see Gojo state pretty explicitly that he knew he was going to have to deal with Mahoraga at some point.

He probably thought he could oneshot him but one would think he'd have some kind of contingency plan in case that doesn't work out, especially given that the narrative provides the reasonably logical one I spoilered

Even if he destroyed the inverted spear of heaven toji had, that wasn't the complete spear. theres a third prong to it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tosk posted:

I am curious how the ISoH would affect Mahoraga as it's a Shikigami not a curse. Does the wheel even qualifiy as a cursed technique or something else? Its sword was "positive energy" which Sukuna states isn't the same as RCE just similar.

Mahoraga didn't adapt to Cleave and Dismantle separately. Sukuna hit Mahoraga with Dismantle and it took damage. Then Sukuna opened Malevolent Shrine to nuke Mahoraga before it adapted to Cleave also. As his domain is activated Sukuna wonders "[...] might not just have adapted to Dismantle but to all cutting attacks" which is proven correct when Mahorage shrugs off the domain expansion. Sukuna lights Mahoraga up with the flame arrow to end things before it can adapt to fire to win the fight.

I do think Gojo having a cursed object is a good shout though.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Fully expect Gojos plan to be the plan everyone has against shikigami users go for the user

There's a decent chance Sukuna is a bit hosed up from being exposed to limitless even briefly. I was surprised he could summon Mahoraga before he was affected. I'm glad it's Mahoraga who is adapting when we only see the wheel appear. Very clever partial summon but thankfully rules out Sukuna being able to use the adaptability power. I had thought Sukuna had adapted to limitless and this was a fakeout where he'd let Gojo think he was affected by limitless then punch a hole in his chest.

I think the arrow is going to come out when Gojo is totally spent probably after Mahoraga. If I'm right about the arrow being able to borrow/copy an ability then maybe Gojo's limitless auto-blocking couldn't stop it. Or he's just so tired that he can't keep limitless active and Sukuna fires then. I hope Gojo does more than just take out Mahoraga though.

I think getting Sukuna out of Megumi's body might be his big achievement. Also even if Megumi can't control Mahoraga when he has his body back, he might benefit from it's power being reabsorbed by his normal summons.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

A neat detail in the official scans (I'm assuming based on the JP text):

Every time Gojo and Sukuna simultaneously open their domains it gets a distinct impact font

However the time Gojo finally wins the domain raise it subtly offsets the text instead

Yes, both font effects are in the japanese raws.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Can’t stop laughing at how stressed out Yuta looks

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
he shouldn’t have let them hear him talk all that poo poo.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Since Mahoraga has been tamed and is being summoned following the regular shikigami rules, rather than in the suicide pact ritual that doesn't end until all participants are dead, that may actually be the only other way to defeat it. Mahoraga would be unsummoned if Sukuna either A) runs out of CE (doubtful) or B) is knocked unconscious (uhh).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If you're a fan of Sakamoto Days or not, I thought this weeks chapter was really illustrative of our earlier discussion of Tsukumo's death. Spoilers for this weeks chapter of Sakamoto Days: It is a small scale version of the author showing one of the better ways to solve the Kenjaku problem. In the chapter we have our protagonist Heisuke and a very powerful new character ally Hyo, who are fighting an incredibly strong villain that was just introduced. We can see that this isn't a direct parallel already (new character not mentioned previously, villain is new and strong but not the main villain) but I think its close enough to look at what happens. Over the course of a brutal battle we have some back and forth with the good guys basically losing through attrition. At the end Hyo sacrifices himself in a last ditch attempt to kill the villain to try and save Heisuke. The villain survives but gives up her forearm from one of her arms to do it. She has a specific technique that required both hands to activate which was shown off multiple times. We lose a new, interesting character but the death means something. The villain is diminished, but likely still incredibly dangerous because the author is great at unconventional fight choreography so will likely use the maiming to do some creative fighting. The author wants Heisuke to win the fight, but because Heisuke is so new to things and has glaring weaknesses, needs to weaken his opponent in an interesting fashion first. They do that through an amazing action sequence that introduces a character who is a direct mirror of Heisuke in some respects to also illustrate more about Heisuke's character via this sacrifice. It is interesting to me to see another manga go with this approach for a brand new character when JJK did a much worse job on a character that was at least mentioned before hand and kind of hyped up.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 17, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
To be quite honest, I'm partial to JJK's pattern of bitter, meaningless deaths.

People keep getting hung up on Tsukumo but when's the last time anyone in this series had a cool death that accomplished something? Mai...? Which has her affirming to herself that her entire life was hollow and she's tired of pointlessly suffering while being a ball and chain around Maki's ankle.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 17, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

To be quite honest, I'm partial to JJK's pattern of bitter, meaningless deaths.

People keep getting hung up on Tsukumo but when's the last time anyone in this series had a cool death that accomplished something? Mai...? Which has her affirming to herself that her entire life was hollow and she's tired of pointlessly suffering while being a ball and chain around Maki's ankle.

Mai's death was meh in my opinion but that's how I feel about pretty much all of Maki's development and interactions.

Nanami however was half dead and murdering cursed spirits like the goddam terminator while lamenting all the books he never got to read. Only to encounter Mahito and get blown up. But in his last moments he managed to give Yuji at least the right/wrong advice to keep him pushing on a little longer rather than taking his own life or just giving up. I could also say the principal that created Panda went out like a boss because he chose his own terms and gave Guitar Grandpa the fight of his life while basically unarmed and also handed over the secret to special cursed puppets as a final "gently caress you".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Yes, both font effects are in the japanese raws.

Cool, thank you!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The more I think about it the more I like the 0.01 second offset development. Sukuna got way too cocky copying a technique he only just saw in the heat of battle and ate poo poo because of it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The more I think about it the more I like the 0.01 second offset development. Sukuna got way too cocky copying a technique he only just saw in the heat of battle and ate poo poo because of it.

And yet, I mean, that technique was *invented* during that battle, so it's not like there was a manual on when to best use it. He played it pretty well all things considered, especially considering he knew that Mahoraga had adapted and could be deployed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

And yet, I mean, that technique was *invented* during that battle, so it's not like there was a manual on when to best use it. He played it pretty well all things considered, especially considering he knew that Mahoraga had adapted and could be deployed.

Ah I seem to have misunderstood something I thought it was something Gojo came up with during the timeskip.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Keep in mind the delay wasn't because he is slower at using it than Gojo. It's because part of his face was charcoal so healing himself took more time. Had Sukuna dealt more damage in that exchange, Gojo would have had 0.01 seconds of being slashed to ribbons instead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

Keep in mind the delay wasn't because he is slower at using it than Gojo. It's because part of his face was charcoal so healing himself took more time. Had Sukuna dealt more damage in that exchange, Gojo would have had 0.01 seconds of being slashed to ribbons instead.

This is why Gege has to use all these pages to have everyone explain what's happening in the fight :negative:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm just glad Gojo's having fun

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

This is why Gege has to use all these pages to have everyone explain what's happening in the fight :negative:

i love that jujutsu is canonically confusing. you can even make it confusing on purpose. i would make my domain download every entry on wikipedia into people’s minds.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 17, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TheHan posted:

i love that jujutsu is canonically confusing. you can even make it confusing on purpose. i would make my domain download every entry on wikipedia into people’s minds.

Just download the discussion pages without the actual pages. Frankly Wikipedia Japan probably generated a fair few curses, tbh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Domain Expansion: Homestuck Synopsis

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Domain expansion: Supernatural fan fiction

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Domain Expansion: Time Cube

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Summons my shikigami “YouTube power system explainer video host”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Domain Expansion: Trapped In A Room With A Cryptobro Who Wants To Explain NFTs To You.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Domain Expansion: FYAD

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm curious if we'll see any of the good guys lay out a barrier free domain. Realistically only Gojo has the skill to do that without practise though and he hasn't done it. I'm also very curious to see Sukuna and Kenjaku interact. I don't see how their goals could align and not end up in conflict.

e: I don't think it will happen but I guess Hakari and Higuruma would be the most likely ones to figure out a barrier free domain on the fly. They were both unaware forming a domain was supposed to be hard due to it being inherent to their techniques. So I think they're the most likely to be able to figure it out. Higurama being able to do it would actually be a very strong counter to Sukuna of all people

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If megumi gets to fight before this is all over maybe he can use this experience to finally perfect chimera shadow garden by ditching the barrier entirely.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Domain Expansion: Halloween

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Megumi might be more 'aware' of Sukuna while he's in control than Yuji was, given there was no binding vow going on there. it would be fun if he reclaims his body and is like (even more of) a jujutsu prodigy because he kinda understood all the poo poo Sukuna was doing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nighthand posted:

Domain Expansion: Halloween

This is the correct answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tosk posted:

Megumi might be more 'aware' of Sukuna while he's in control than Yuji was, given there was no binding vow going on there. it would be fun if he reclaims his body and is like (even more of) a jujutsu prodigy because he kinda understood all the poo poo Sukuna was doing.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's way too depressed to even try to fight Sukuna at this point, not to mention that taking control of Sukuna at this power level is no mean feat even at the best of times.