Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that us cover is pretty good.

Still baffled by the name change, it's worse in every way.

I'm pretty sure that's why General B decided to title the last book The Ends of Baru Cormorant - so the UK publisher would either have to put the full title on the cover or have people asking why the book was called The Ends Of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why General B decided to title the last book The Ends of Baru Cormorant - so the UK publisher would either have to put the full title on the cover or have people asking why the book was called The Ends Of.

They will just call it "The End".

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

RDM posted:

Kazuo Ishiguro is an amazing author and he's never going to win a scifi award writing near-future science fiction because nothing explodes and nobody gets murdered, despite probably being the best living near future scifi author.

It's like cradle in that it's generally competently written non stop action and it takes zero effort to read. There's enough jokes in the litrpg stat dumps that it's not unreadable. That makes it the best litrpg series on KU by a mile.

The only LitRPG I've read has been more like LitRPG-lite: Beware of Chicken and Wandering Inn. Or at least it looks at the whole idea in a different way. Kind of got the impression that DCC is also like this.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The King Must Die (Theseus #1) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

The Two of Swords: Volume One by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5K2CK3/

Solar Lottery by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVR01K/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

To Kill A Mockingbird Baru Cormorant

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Everyone posted:

"The" traitor? I think every character in that series is a traitor to someone/something and it is glorious.
"the" traitor Baru Cormorant :eng101:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tars Tarkas posted:

To Kill A Mockingbird Baru Cormorant

I'd be down to read The Maltese Cormorant.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished CJ Cherryh’s The Dreamstone yesterday. It’s the first of her books that I’ve read, and I really enjoyed it. Very flowery language, felt like reading a Celtic myth or something. I also picked up her book Foreigner, and am excited to start in on that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was sent this excerpt from Brian Herbert and Kevin J Andersons new Princess of Dune book. Look I know you guys rag on Andersons writing a lot but I think he’s on to something here.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

what the deuce!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Book tiktok will go wild for it!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
looks like a strong Hugo contender to me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I really expected Jebuiz y'Har.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Princess-Dune-Brian-Herbert/dp/1250906210

Oh no! :ohdear:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jordan7hm posted:

Finished CJ Cherryh’s The Dreamstone yesterday. It’s the first of her books that I’ve read, and I really enjoyed it. Very flowery language, felt like reading a Celtic myth or something. I also picked up her book Foreigner, and am excited to start in on that.

Flowery language is not what I’d call typical, but yeah cjc owns. The morgaine trilogy is tense gritty science fantasy with a couple of tormented badasses roaming through doomed worlds, the chanur books are tense gritty hard sci fi with blue collar traders trying to stay ahead of political machinations. They are all fantastic though, you can’t go too far wrong.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Lightbringer by Pierce Brown comes out next week. I am quite hype given the 4 year gap since Dark Age.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I cannot tell you how utterly thrilled I am to have the new sci-fi classic Worms-a-Poppin' to look forward to.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ccs posted:

I was sent this excerpt from Brian Herbert and Kevin J Andersons new Princess of Dune book. Look I know you guys rag on Andersons writing a lot but I think he’s on to something here.

seems legit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

He’s jus’ a li’l ol’ kid

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished Zodiac. Honestly pretty good, as Stephenson goes. Fairly tight, moved well. Kicked into sixth gear with a lurch at a certain point. Feels very Snow Crash-y. Wasn’t a billion pages long.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

habeasdorkus posted:

Lightbringer by Pierce Brown comes out next week. I am quite hype given the 4 year gap since Dark Age.

That series is so good. Book, I think, 3 was a little weak but the next one got back down to business.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm about halfway through rereading Dark Age. God, it's ghastly. Can't stop though - and I should finish just in time for 6.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

I've been needing some more Lyria in my life for a while now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kazzah posted:

I'm about halfway through rereading Dark Age. God, it's ghastly. Can't stop though - and I should finish just in time for 6.

Lots and lots of awful things happen in that book, and it's told at a breakneck pace so I felt constant anxiety while reading it. And then things kept getting worse!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

how accurate is this:

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The first chapter of Red Rising is like: I am the grittiest toughest miner known to man -- a helldiver. I use my helldrill to hellmine Helium-3 as I sip from my drinktube. My frysuit is ironically named because it keeps me from frying. I spit into my helmet that stinks like piss. Here on Mars, the planet that is red, girls get married off at fourteen. Life's just that tough on the red planet but my uncle is weak and my father is dead -- everyone is weak, my hands are worn and my expression grim and the caverns of Mars smell like death. The society killed my wife on our wedding day. I am fourteen years old.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Fifteen years have passed, and Darrow the helldiver is now, like, getting strapped into a mech suit just before the nuke goes off overhead, and looking into the eyes of the pit crew as they melt against his faceplate

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just finished Tim Powers' Declare , and holy poo poo I think I have a new favourite book

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah it's a great book and i haven't come across anything else that does the occult le carre mash as well

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

Bold move to release a Dune book written by AI trained entirely on social media posts.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Matter (Culture #7) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VMHI98/

The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHJT92Q/

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UGU33Q/

The Once and Future King by TH White - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEDDSQG/

The Company Man by Robert Jackson Bennett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y0FIM/

Exogene (Subterrene War #2) by TC McCarthy - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCNGS0/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doktor Avalanche posted:

how accurate is this:

A little bit. The first RR trilogy is very dystopian YA. The second trilogy is more "What if, after the grand triumph in Return of the Jedi our heroes had to actually govern the horrific mess that was the Empire while fighting a slog of a civil war against those parts of the Empire that don't care that Palpatine is dead?"

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm conflicted by Red Rising. On one hand, it sounds totally uninteresting to me. On the other, it did make a certain neofascist political blogger I despise write this, so it can't be entirely bad.

quote:

I remind myself, however, that I’m not the target audience for these books. What does the target audience think? I’m not sure what the demographics of readers of these books are. In general, today, boys don’t read books. At the children’s bookstore where I went the other day, none of the books are directed at boys, none at all. I suppose they are directed at girls, or maybe feminized boys, or maybe at feminizing boys. But I doubt if girls love the endless fight scenes in this trilogy. Maybe young men read this, thinking it’s “based” because there’s a lot of fighting, not realizing that the oozing propaganda is colonizing their minds (something also true of every action movie nowadays). Somebody must like these books; on Amazon, Red Rising has 47,951 reviews (not including mine; the court in my lawsuit against Amazon for deplatforming me has ignored my case for more than six months now). Brown has talked about how he writes for “outsiders,” naming specifically homosexuals and [slur]; maybe his readers are all the supposedly sexually-fluid Gen-Z types, who like to imagine that a real Space Rome would allow them to be heroes while still catering to their mental illness. Maybe it’s older lonely women, Karens and wine aunts, who want to imagine themselves as girlboss warriors; at least some of the reviews on Amazon seem to come from such people. Beats me.

Completing the downhill trend all the way to rock bottom, though no doubt he’ll keep digging as long as there is money to be made, Brown has written a second trilogy, taking place ten years after the events of the first book. I had ordered, and received, those books when I was reading Red Rising. However, I learned that the Late-Stage Leftism of the first trilogy has been, uh, fortified in the second trilogy. I returned the books of the second trilogy, marking them as defective, writing that the reason was they “are homosexual propaganda.”

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Good lord

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I simply cannot understand what universe these freakos come from, like they all somehow spontaneously budded from a forgotten 50s sitcom or something. "These books can't be for boys because boys don't read books (and I know from hunting down children at bookstores) but they can't be for girls because girls hate action and fights! Based! Girlboss! Homosexual propaganda!"

also big lmao at (not including mine; the court in my lawsuit against Amazon for deplatforming me has ignored my case for more than six months now)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FPyat posted:

I'm conflicted by Red Rising. On one hand, it sounds totally uninteresting to me. On the other, it did make a certain neofascist political blogger I despise write this, so it can't be entirely bad.

.. . .wait, does he think there weren't any homosexuals in Ancient Rome? because rofls

anyway yeah that's a hell of a pitch to get me to buy it

why were you reading that kind of shithead's blog

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

.. . .wait, does he think there weren't any homosexuals in Ancient Rome? because rofls

anyway yeah that's a hell of a pitch to get me to buy it

why were you reading that kind of shithead's blog

"Education" (good to know what shitheads are thinking in their poo poo filled heads) and amusement?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Everyone posted:

(good to know what shitheads are thinking in their poo poo filled heads)
sounds more like self-harm to me, but if you're getting a benefit from it then you might as well continue

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Many different amazons state they do not like or want me reviewing.

RDM fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 18, 2023

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Red rising was fine but "I have been cruelly betrayed by my closest friends" loses some of the impact when it happens every 50 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

red rising book 1 is the second worst book I've ever finished.

enough plot for 4-5 well written books, pacing so fast nothing has permanence let alone resonance.

so many urine references it shoulda been subtitled "Pierce Brown's Golden Shower Power Fantasy"

I checked. it's roughly 1/8 pages.