Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

What's this thread's opinion on Cobi, in terms of plastic quality, fit etc? Do they use printed pieces for set detail, or are they sticker hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As of lately they seem to be really good about printed pieces. Haven't bought a cobi set yet, but been eyeing a spitfire for a while now.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cobi's real nice. Fits together great and printed pieces. Some big bespoke pieces for planes but I'd say for the most part fully brick built.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Check out this insane cyberpunk city
https://bricknerd.com/home/the-story-of-new-hashima-how-the-colossal-lego-cyberpunk-city-came-to-be-7-17-23

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's what $5 at Five Below gets you, bootLego-wise
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1681096357879111681

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the arms and legs suck but the rest of that minifig is dope

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They've been moving towards more bags for a while. Assembly Square has 6 "bags" for 4000 pieces while the Book Shop has 8 for 2500.

Sunk Dunk posted:

Does anyone else like to do their build sessions by bag? Like today I’m gonna tackle bag #1.

This was my go to until i started building the mclaren formula 1 car. For some reason there’s only 5 steps of bags for this absolute monster. I’ve been on bag 2 for 5 days now lmao

I normally do about 500-1000 pieces a day (less if I'm building with Space Cadet and I'm trying to spread things out). Depends a bit on the build, but eg I'll try and do a floor of a modular at a time.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They've been moving towards more bags for a while. Assembly Square has 6 "bags" for 4000 pieces while the Book Shop has 8 for 2500.

oh yeah, has anyone gotten any paper bags yet? i feel like they've been threatening that they're going to do this for half a decade now and it's still all plastic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new Corvette windshields are supposed to be packed in paper but don’t think that is out yet.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

yeah they were packed in brown paper bags in the review video that I watched.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Reselling my old Lego kits with the pieces 'bagged' inside manila envelopes, with the bag numbers written on in sharpie.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 18, 2023

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Jurassic park dinosaurs were in paper bags in the current sets, at least for the Nedry and triceratops poop sets

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Maybe Lego will finally, actually, have some set of standard for packaging prime scracthable parts. Nearly every set that I've purchased directly from the company has had at least one major scratch on a "centerpiece" transparent part. I can't remember if it was the 911 or Delorean, but one had a peel-off clear sticker on both sides and was actually pristine when I placed the part. Paper bags would be amazing too, hopefully it actually makes it to the consumer market and not just LAN member testing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

sifting through my old Lego boxes, I found this:

I've got rails and I've got the "electrical cable" pieces to hook the rails to that thingie, but it's missing the power adapter. How out of luck am I from 1 to 10? Do I have to find a used, vintage complete package or can I slap a generic, multi-voltage power bricks like the third party ones that're sold for laptops? I mean something like this: https://www.amazon.it/Zolt-Alimenta...9666382&sr=8-13

(by God there are some marvels in there. Dragon knights, a ton of old school minifigs, big bespoke pieces for fancy sets... and I'm fairly certain those 2 boxes aren't everything I actually had as a kid, I bet plenty more stuff was lost/broken over the years, there's way less baseplates than I remember having - tons of Space, Castle, Pirate and City things. Even some American Indians! I was a really spoiled child, indeed)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TorakFade posted:

sifting through my old Lego boxes, I found this:

I've got rails and I've got the "electrical cable" pieces to hook the rails to that thingie, but it's missing the power adapter. How out of luck am I from 1 to 10? Do I have to find a used, vintage complete package or can I slap a generic, multi-voltage power bricks like the third party ones that're sold for laptops? I mean something like this: https://www.amazon.it/Zolt-Alimenta...9666382&sr=8-13

(by God there are some marvels in there. Dragon knights, a ton of old school minifigs, big bespoke pieces for fancy sets... and I'm fairly certain those 2 boxes aren't everything I actually had as a kid, I bet plenty more stuff was lost/broken over the years, there's way less baseplates than I remember having - tons of Space, Castle, Pirate and City things. Even some American Indians! I was a really spoiled child, indeed)

It should have printed/moulded on it what input it needs - as long as your power supply matches the voltage and amps and has the correct barrel connector you'll be fine.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like how all the rail sets from that era had box art with like, the Amtrak passenger car exiting the maw of the hellforge or whatever.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bloody Pom posted:

What's this thread's opinion on Cobi, in terms of plastic quality, fit etc? Do they use printed pieces for set detail, or are they sticker hell?

Cobi is great. Quality is on par with Lego for the pieces and they print all their pieces. No stickers at all in any of the sets I've had.

The only downside with Cobi is the minifigures, which are awful.

They are fine quality wise, it's just that the choices they made to make them not-Lego are hideous.

The builds and models themselves though are A++

Boco_T posted:

Here's what $5 at Five Below gets you, bootLego-wise
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1681096357879111681

These on the other hand are loving awful. I got a Power Rangers one (exact same build, but in Red and with the Red Ranger) for £1.99 at a local suprmarket. I didn't expect much at all and it still disappointed. Pieces in the wrong colours, sprue marks everything and awful fit.

The figure was also terrible.

I'll take pics later if anyone cares to see it.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Falconbricks/status/1681228261467013121

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ew

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You too can pay 430$ for a writer's thinly veiled anti-Semitism in brick-based form.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Oxyclean posted:

You too can pay 430$ for a writer's thinly veiled anti-Semitism in brick-based form.

Speaking of anti-semites, I enjoyed the little guy on the fireball in this photo from one of brickworld's "Youth Creations"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t own a single Harry Potter and almost certainly never will but that seems like it might be a cool set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bird with big dick posted:

I don’t own a single Harry Potter and almost certainly never will but that seems like it might be a cool set.

Purely as sets I think Harry Potter has gone downhill a little in the last few years but they can still put out good stuff.

gently caress Rowling though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Was it rumored that the Blacktron Cruiser was going to be a GWP again soon or did I make that up?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rad Valtar posted:

Was it rumored that the Blacktron Cruiser was going to be a GWP again soon or did I make that up?

You missed it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Man i wish they’d done something like Gringotts with the batcave

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I do not care for the "cat sitting on an apple core" silhouette of that set. Feels quite awkward.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that what it's like in the movies or is it supposed to be depicting some sort of underground cave?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The building bit is what you see from the street. The lore says all the neverending vaults are all underground accessible via whimsical rollercoaster tracks and carts.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think that set looks cool as hell and I wish it wasn't tied to a bigot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You ride a wacky mine cart roller coaster and it goes directly to your vault full of gold doubloons and stolen elf treasures.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

graventy posted:

I think that set looks cool as hell and I wish it wasn't tied to a bigot.

Same same

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Harry Potter isn't my thing, but it looks like it'd be a fun and interesting build and display.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

gently caress Rowling though.
Also this.

Oxyclean posted:

thinly veiled anti-Semitism in brick-based form.
And this.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Today I bought Rivendell

It’s big

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Would be a cool concept for a D&D dungeon set. The mines of Phandelver or some other semi famous dungeon.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

GRINGOT TS BANK

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since the bank itself is on a base plate it seems to just be resting on the mine part with nothing to lock it in place? Yeah I wouldn’t trust that on a shelf

There are better pictures in this Reddit post btw

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

GRINGOT TS BANK

Holy poo poo :dumbbravo: those GRINGOT TS BANK stickers have to be some of the worst that Lego has ever released, especially in an enormous "flagship" d2c. Having to trim down stickers and place them as close to each other as possible is absolutely hilarious.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Subverting jkr by not applying the "GRINGOT" sticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

La Louve Rouge posted:

Subverting jkr by not applying the "GRINGOT" sticker

My first thought was this was on purpose so people could do that