Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Before I go attempt to make one, does anyone have a design for a device to split a single small magnet off the end of a long ish stack with a quick pressing motion? I'd like to be able to press button -> get magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

TwoDice posted:

Before I go attempt to make one, does anyone have a design for a device to split a single small magnet off the end of a long ish stack with a quick pressing motion? I'd like to be able to press button -> get magnet.

Like a pez dispenser?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TwoDice posted:

https://www.yeggi.com/q/magnet+separator/

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1666218

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

gently caress it, ordered. Already seen some people say they got shipping notifications for their orders.

I too said "gently caress it" and placed an order today :D

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Roughly 17 seconds just elapsed between the time Bambu sent me my $50 off AMS promo coupon, and when I actually completed the purchase. [sigh]

I thought I had a problem with buying cheap Chinese printers all these years, but it turns out that I'm just completely incapable of passing up any kind of deal at all.

(the coupons were/are A Thing for people who had bought machines in the time frame leading up to their 1-year anniversary earlier this month, so don't be surprised if you hadn't heard about them and don't get one if you bought a printer very recently)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am going to be using my lasercutter for something new; I am going to make a bunch of night light things. Amazon had a bunch of LED light stands for sale, and all I need to do is cut the pattern and engrave the design and slot the acrylic into the stand. I am not making any money off of it, because it is for a Lions club fundraiser, but it will be interesting to see how they sell. We are helping to host a classic car show and I was able to get a few designs of classic cars/muscle cars in front of an American flag, so it seems like the sort of stuff that will sell.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

As an accompaniment, this tool might be useful as well https://www.printables.com/model/358926-magnet-placer-parametric

It's a pickup/putdown tool for magnets in specific orientations i.e. the red one always picks up / drops a magnet with this orientation, and the blue one always does that orientation.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Thats a good start, maybe I can spring load it somehow.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

The Eyes Have It posted:

As an accompaniment, this tool might be useful as well https://www.printables.com/model/358926-magnet-placer-parametric

It's a pickup/putdown tool for magnets in specific orientations i.e. the red one always picks up / drops a magnet with this orientation, and the blue one always does that orientation.

I've got a pair of something similar, they're great.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i wonder if there's a market for like, just fast printed, huge layer lines, cheap terrain. Just "good enough" stuff. I'd be fine with that, just stuff to toss down for cover and whatnot

toss a .6 nozzle on and print poo poo at .4 layer lines

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

queeb posted:

i wonder if there's a market for like, just fast printed, huge layer lines, cheap terrain. Just "good enough" stuff. I'd be fine with that, just stuff to toss down for cover and whatnot

At the good enough scale, laser cutting gives great results in way less time for large terrain pieces, and isn't too expensive on materials, either. I also think the laser cut terrain looks nicer than the low resolution 3D printed terrain in most cases.

You can even save time on your own end making it to sell by not pulling the masking off and not assembling it, shipping the flat pre-cut sheets like a lot of other terrain vendors do.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

Terrain probably not, but if you gor into anything like hydroponics, thick layer lines are a big benefit anyways. Stronger, and who cares about layer lines at that point

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Chainclaw posted:

At the good enough scale, laser cutting gives great results in way less time for large terrain pieces, and isn't too expensive on materials, either. I also think the laser cut terrain looks nicer than the low resolution 3D printed terrain in most cases.

You can even save time on your own end making it to sell by not pulling the masking off and not assembling it, shipping the flat pre-cut sheets like a lot of other terrain vendors do.

yeah this is something i've considered, making some mdf terrain to see how it sells. MDF stinks like hell when cutting though even through decent ventilation so I was waiting until I could move my laser cutter out into the garage before trying some stuff out again.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

queeb posted:

If you are selling to the local game store for their tables you could print with the printer just a rough lattice or skeleton of different sized mountains or hills, wrap it in mesh and plaster it. Maybe you could figure out a lattice structure that connects like knex or Legos. Then you could just print a ton of pieces and sell little or big terrain kits. Like a volcano kit needs 5 circle bits, 40 straight bits, 5 feet of mesh, 1 bag of plaster mix, and you could sell the kits on etsy, and if they all used the same components, just arranged in different orders then you don't need so many different parts.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Was happy to discover this so thought I'd share in case somebody didn't know. You can print your own qr codes and stick them on third party build plates so the bambu printers don't throw a warning every time you print. https://www.printables.com/model/432805-build-plate-qr-code-for-bambu-lab-x1c

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Click Print Settings and turn off bed detection.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Sure, but this lets you keep using bed detection. One less thing to have a brain fart about now that I'm printing more than just pla.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What does bed detection do? Just reassure you that you are using the right bed for the material?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes, if you set the job up to print on e.g. the PEI textured bed (or the high temperature bed, or whatever) it'll check if that bed is actually installed first and warm if it isn't.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Am I missing something or did Matterhacker crank the price of their dual filament, only to mark it down (to a still higher price) since May of this year?

Screen shot of order confirmation email from May 2023

Screen shot of Matterhacker's page from the last hour.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Given that the screenshot you're showing, 66% of their colors are sold out, looks like they're adjusting price to meet demand

I just checked and it looks like my hatchbox PLA is still $24.99 since the beginning of the pandemic, which is cool, but single color PLA is much more of a commodity than specialty filament

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeeesh i grabbed 16 rolls of the fremover stuff, came to 11.81/roll canadian. here's my lastpurchase of filament on amazon:

112.95 for 5 rolls, and that was a deep sale on the jayo stuff. still 113 after tax.

this is what pla looks like on amazon ca:

crazy the difference you can get iiidmax or the fremover stuff for

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So is discounted PLA just factory seconds or something?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have strong opinions abourt running klipper for a print-farm?

I was just about to set up octoprint/octofarm on a pi, and totally forgot running fluidd with klipper might be an option.

Does it have a print-farm equivalent UI and something good for timelapses?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have strong opinions abourt running klipper for a print-farm?

I was just about to set up octoprint/octofarm on a pi, and totally forgot running fluidd with klipper might be an option.

Does it have a print-farm equivalent UI and something good for timelapses?

I’m not familiar with octofarm but I am running Klipper for two machines on an old laptop. Works great, highly recommended IF you are comfortable editing plain text configuration files and troubleshooting from reading log files. That said, it looks like octofarm does a lot of stuff that Mainsail and Fluidd don’t. Mainsail has a view that shows a camera feed from each configured printer, but otherwise both Fluidd and Mainsail are all about one printer at a time, though it’s easy to switch between them.

Moonraker-timelapse is a thing, but it’s been a bit painful to get it working with multiple cameras on the same system - it’s supposed to load the camera config from Moonraker but that didn’t work and I had to set the URL manually in the end, but supports the same parking stuff as the fancy octoprint Timelapse plugin.

I do also recommend setting up systemd resource management with slices if you’re running a lot of stuff on the same box - it’s not like octoprint where if the host Software slows down the printer just pauses until the host sorta itself out and sends more instructions - there’s a watchdog in the printer firmware and if it doesn’t get a timely response from the host it slams the emergency stop button. So you want to make sure klipper has priority for CPU and RAM, especially if you’re going to be doing things like rendering timelapses for multiple machines.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Man, HueForge looks great and all but every time I have fired it up with an idea I end up fiddling for a while and eventually deciding nah, guess it won't work for this idea but maybe the next one... and I haven't actually gotten a good one yet :shrug:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I bought hueforge and started with what I thought would be a really really simple model, and this was the closest I was able to get with it

Every tutorial I looked up anded up basically being "ah yeah just kinda drag the sliders around until it looks good v:shobon:v"
and then I gave up

Theoretically I should be able to punch it in real easy with only five colors- black, blue, light pink, dark pink, white
But drat if I could figure out the secret sauce on those damned sliders

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What's wrong with that? Just the color split? Odd issue but the detail does look nice.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah just unable to ever get it to recognize that the top half should be pink/white or vice-versa

or get the background grid to register as blue

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I've only briefly messed around with hueforge but I couldn't tell if it actually cared about the colors of the images, or only the luminosity.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Serenade posted:

I've only briefly messed around with hueforge but I couldn't tell if it actually cared about the colors of the images, or only the luminosity.

This is pretty much it at the moment yeah. You can get things to work, but a lot of is probably 6 months out to be honest. Super early access.

Theres some color-aware functionality coming together, but its minimially usefull right now

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I just got my polyterra coupon so I am choosing my colors for future hueforge use, and i did come across a nice tutorial on using it that seems pretty straightforward.

The general tip was to remove the background, then start with your darkest color at the bottom. Then fill in as you go 'up' and the sliders adjust the layer heights of each. There is an overall brightness slider that does ... something. My plan is to keep a black, a white ,and then rotate though a couple other colors as needed.

Since the bambu is on the way, has anyone done a teardown of what the actual difference is when it comes to P1P vs X1? Like, why can't you just plug the different LCD screen in? And if its a comnnection / pin out thing, then why not just add the X1 control board? The docs suggest that is where the serial is stored, but the screens have the same pinout (count anyway) and the camera is just a larger res. Wifi Antenna ?

I see there are already 'aftermarket' hotend assemblies that let you use off the shelf v6 nozzles, and i see that there are reports that a CHT nozzle lets you go even faster. Looking forward to the hacks

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Every time the AMS for Bambu machines is mentioned, I have to say "dogs of the AMS" out loud from Typing of the Dead/HOTD2. Anyone else, or just me? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezDts-449Y

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Acid Reflux posted:

It's at the very least on par with IIID Max, and whether it's personal confirmation bias or whatever, I think it prints a little better.

This is the outfit that used to be/sell GST3D filament in the US, which I'm pretty sure came from the same manufacturer as IIID, but I don't know if it's still the same material or if it's being manufactured elsewhere (or by themselves) now. At any rate - I print an awful lot of it and I really do like it. As with all cheaper filaments, it might not be the best stuff money can buy, but it's well beyond serviceable and they have a pretty nice color range to choose from.

I would not agree that it's on par with IIID Max. The spools don't fit in the bambu AMS and they use far less colorant in their filament. IIID Max is still superior when it comes to budget filament.

Also as someone with both an X1C and MK4 it's good to see people are choosing the bambu machine, I just don't think you get your moneys worth with the mk4 price. I still like it a lot but it definitely feels a generation behind my x1c.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Opinionated posted:

I would not agree that it's on par with IIID Max. The spools don't fit in the bambu AMS and they use far less colorant in their filament. IIID Max is still superior when it comes to budget filament.

Username/post combo on point LOL

This discussion started with me specifically pointing out that their new spools fit in an AMS, unlike the previous ones they were using.

I also would not agree with your assessment of the filament at all, I find the colors to be quite vibrant and pleasing when printed. But I'm also judging them on their more recently manufactured material, not the older stuff on the larger spools from when they were first starting out.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Roundboy posted:

Since the bambu is on the way, has anyone done a teardown of what the actual difference is when it comes to P1P vs X1? Like, why can't you just plug the different LCD screen in?

Completely different SoC running the thing, the X1 has a stronger chip that also does stuff like failure detection and etc when paired with a camera.
It's also why the P1P is slightly slower at uncompressing models, and why it has Bluetooth while the X1 does not. (And why the X1 can stream video, while the P1X does a slideshow.)
Even if they otherwise run a standardized motherboard and etc, I assume the SoC is soldered in, so you'd probably need to replace all of that to support the touchscreen.

On the base level, the printer hardware is the same, but the X1s are more like if you slapped a pi and octoprint/mainsail etc on top of the P1P, to enable a couple extra features/add a touchscreen.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Bit of a dilemma - got a Saturn 2 + Mercury as a surprise for my birthday from a relative, and now my partner is so excited about all of the kitchen equipment, planters, deck boxes, and organizers we can make…essentially everything that people say should really be done in filament.

Is there a resin, epoxy, varnish, etc that can help me fill all of these needs without breaking the bank, or do I really need to get another machine to avoid breaking her heart?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CommunityEdition posted:

Bit of a dilemma - got a Saturn 2 + Mercury as a surprise for my birthday from a relative, and now my partner is so excited about all of the kitchen equipment, planters, deck boxes, and organizers we can make…essentially everything that people say should really be done in filament.

Is there a resin, epoxy, varnish, etc that can help me fill all of these needs without breaking the bank, or do I really need to get another machine to avoid breaking her heart?

I think there is the health concern and size problems. You could get castable resin and then make molds for other materials.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Man, my Bambu order is split into a lot of shipments.. Still no word on what's up with the cancelled printer deliveries but my extra AMS just arrived via FedEx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

CommunityEdition posted:

You need to get another machine to avoid breaking her heart.