Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You know who also had a D. in their name and got frozen by Kuzan?

Saul. And Luffy.

You know who's also alive?

Saul. And Luffy.

The Will of Defrost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every cut to Teach on Fullalead for the rest of the series will feature Frozen Garp in the background but in a new pose each time.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The fact that they're saying "missing in action" and not "dead" or "defeated" also makes me think Kuzan is keeping him alive to double cross blackbeard later

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the koby hype is real

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

im kinda bummed because this seems like Garp’s last hurrah, I mean I guess it’s not a great sign that he’s surrounded by a small army and four Titanic Commanders, or the giant spike of ice poking out of his chest, but worst of all by far is that he’s smiling. :(

But yeah, holy poo poo Koby, from one hapless chore boy to that flex, through nothing but training harder than almost anyone else. No wonder he had his growth spurt before the time skip.

He might be kept alive to be held as a hostage, akin to how blackbeard took koby to try to get a position of power from the world government. Garp is a much bigger bargainingchip.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the koby hype is real
I don't know if he and Luffy are gonna team up or throw down in the last stretch of the series, but god, I hope we get at least one proper brawl between them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't believe all you people who don't realize MIA Garp means we're in for some sweet 80s action staring Sengoku and Garp.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

If Bon Clay can survive a direct confrontation with Magellan than Garp can handle a few of Blackbeard's jobbers, especially now that all his precious proteges are safe. I believe in Garp, the hero of the Marines

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Every cut to Teach on Fullalead for the rest of the series will feature Frozen Garp in the background but in a new pose each time.

make it happen oda

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I don't know if he and Luffy are gonna team up or throw down in the last stretch of the series, but god, I hope we get at least one proper brawl between them.

I think he's going to need like two more power ups to hang on that level.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna be sort of ticked if Aojiki helps in putting Garp down six feet in a casket, this dude's moral compass is all over the map.

I don't know what his whole deal is but I'm honestly looking forward to him getting his teeth kicked in more than Blackbeard, dude is a real piece of trash at this point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ngl writing-wise I enjoy the future of the marines leading back to island of the future.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

White Light posted:

I'm gonna be sort of ticked if Aojiki helps in putting Garp down six feet in a casket, this dude's moral compass is all over the map.

I don't know what his whole deal is but I'm honestly looking forward to him getting his teeth kicked in more than Blackbeard, dude is a real piece of trash at this point.

I feel like Kuzan is ironically in the same position he always was in the Navy. His personal morals and his duties are in direct conflict. Blackbeard said comrades aren't friends, they're people with a common purpose. We don't really know Kuzan's purpose, but from what we know of him, it must be important.

I'm sure he's keeping Garp frozen and alive for his own purposes. If Kuzan plans on betraying Blackbeard eventually, he's now got a very powerful ally to bust out. We spent so long on Kuzan and Garp's personal connection, it's the easiest thing to imagine Garp waking up to Kuzan saying "we gotta work together now" and Garp just laughing and going along with it. Maybe giving Kuzan a big punch first.

What's more disturbing is letting the civilians and Navy who were escaping die. Pizaro even says Kuzan will freeze any of the survivors. But rereading the chapter, Kuzan was never really overtly okay with that. In fact he kind of let Garp go after he said they could save the ship.

In other words, Kuzan could still be a good guy, despite all this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
that smile :unsmith:

KobyKoin to the loving MOON. Bogard who???

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JahRoo posted:

The fact that they're saying "missing in action" and not "dead" or "defeated" also makes me think Kuzan is keeping him alive to double cross blackbeard later

It looks like he was stabbed through with an ice shard. I'm going to say emphasis on looks, because I think that was the same spot he was stabbed earlier; and if Kuzan is planning to double cross blackbeard he might be saving, or at least helping, Garp by keeping him from bleeding out for now while making it look like he's dying.

I'm sure it's been touched on before but I still really like how Koby and Helmeppo have become good buddies.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Egghead! Egghead!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo what an incredible chapter :stwoon:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

I wanna know what's up with Bonnnnnneyyyyyy

This was three months ago. Please Oda, my family is dying

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bonney walks out of the room of Bad Memories dusting her hands "That wasn't so bad"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

Bonney walks out of the room of Bad Memories dusting her hands "That wasn't so bad"

Well, at least I understand why dad did what he did. Sure aren't going to mention what I saw to anyone. Now let's eat!

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The Will of Defrost

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i hope perona took advantage of all the chaos to free moria and we get a cover arc starring him, perona, and garp

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Next chapter we cut back to Garp: “I got back up and pwned them”

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

no....no!!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
So, Koby has Conquerer's Haki now?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

yum posted:

So, Koby has Conquerer's Haki now?

Garp was actually just letting him borrow some of his for a test drive. See how he likes it. Maybe think about springing for the upgrade at the end of his lease.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought he already used it at Marineford

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought he already used it at Marineford

Observation Haki. He could hear everyone on the island, mostly freaking out.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
It's been emphasized that Conquerer's haki is extremely rare, one in several million people, and not something you can gain through training. The cabinboy from East Blue had the qualities of a supreme king the entire time. Would it have been too sudden to reveal this during Marineford? Feels like a last minute decision sort of thing, but Koby needs a powerup like this if he's to be an admiral and be an analogue to the future King of Pirates.

I'm more or less okay with it since it's set up for the upcoming fireworks factory conclusion, even if it is an asspull on par with Sabo's rapid elevation to big fish. Oda has more than enough goodwill after all these years.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought we all saw Koby display weak conqueror's Haki at Marineford and it was why everyone stopped fighting (briefly) when he shouted. I actually thought that was like an established thing, but maybe not.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Going back and reading the chapter with Koby at Marineford, there's no indication that he uses Conquerer's Haki during the scene with Shanks/Akainu. He just yells really loudly and no one gets knocked out. He does use Observation Haki earlier in the battle though

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 20, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

I thought we all saw Koby display weak conqueror's Haki at Marineford and it was why everyone stopped fighting (briefly) when he shouted. I actually thought that was like an established thing, but maybe not.
Yeah it being a weaker version of what Luffy did makes more sense to me than "A single guy yelling in a battle that no doubt had hundreds of people yelling at all times surprised people enough to stop"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Going back and reading the chapter with Koby at Marineford, there's no indication that he uses Conquerer's Haki during the scene with Shanks/Akainu. He just yells really loudly and no one gets knocked out. He does use Observation Haki earlier in the battle though
What do you think weak undeveloped conqueror's haki would look like?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's kind of wicked how Oda's held back from showing Shanks/Garp in real combat for so long that them wrecking poo poo doesn't feel like a retcon or power creep. For what, a thousand chapters they show up and people quake, and we're finally seeing, "oh. Yeah ok they were right to do so". The restraint will never not be impressive to me.

bitmap posted:

no....no!!

I've got good news friend - we're in for multiple weeks with three chapters in a row in the upcoming months :unsmith:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

No Wave posted:

What do you think weak undeveloped conqueror's haki would look like?

...It looks like shouting? Everyone in the series must have it then

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
the angry mob backed off from finishing the Quixote family out of compassion because kid Doflamingo was having a panic attack

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's kind of wicked how Oda's held back from showing Shanks/Garp in real combat for so long that them wrecking poo poo doesn't feel like a retcon or power creep. For what, a thousand chapters they show up and people quake, and we're finally seeing, "oh. Yeah ok they were right to do so". The restraint will never not be impressive to me.

cant wait for Dragon to actually do something it’ll be a similar situation I’d think

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dragon could honestly be pissweak his strength is never even a topic of discussion.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Dragon has mastered Delegation Haki so he doesn’t have to fight himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

hatty posted:

cant wait for Dragon to actually do something it’ll be a similar situation I’d think
Mihawk too lol