Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Oh god what have I done. Turns out I need to do a lot of sorting. Fortunately I buy enough packaged meat that I have a ton of those disposable tupperwares.

So this took less than an hour, even with the digging through to find stuff. I began isolating space parts as you can see in the background.

The crate was originally white but I couldn't find one of the white doors, but I had 2 in yellow so that's what it is. I also no longer have the sliding spring loaded forklift piece, so I had to improvise.

Flight controls.

The only missing pieces for that kit are the aforementioned white door, one blue hinge for the yellow lid (I substituted gray) and two 1x1 flat green transparent pieces for marker lights. I couldn't find a single one, but for some reason I have about 20 red ones.

Then I built this, it was one of my first and (at the time) favorite sets. The stickers are all long gone but I still have all the parts.

I washed my crater plates with water and a brush, came out like new! I'm not sure how I'm going to wash the rest of the parts, I might build a set, then take it all apart and wash the pieces one at a time, let it dry and then rebuild it. That way I'm not randomly washing everything all at once. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wrote a guide on cleaning pieces. It's linked in the OP of this thread.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

boxen posted:

Bend the black rectangular piece that is holding the head outward while holding the round grey piece where it is, that might make a gap between the black piece and the round grey piece. Then when you stop bending the black piece outward, that gap should move to under the head of the flush grey piece and allow you to get fingernails or something under it.

Hope I explained that in a way that makes sense, the black rectangular piece might be too rigid in there already to be able to bend it much though.

Worked, thanks :)

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I think I’m going to have to bite it and sell some of the original boxed sets I have and replace them with dupes. I looked online at what the Ninjago City, Docks, and Brick Bank go for and was blown away. Then I saw what the new Bespin half-Death star set goes for and had a heart attack. Might have to ditch the Tantive UCS and Diner too. And I have a handful of minifigs from Jabba sets that add up nicely too.

I would like to keep my originals but in all honesty dupe quality has gone up and so has my debt, and I could use several thousand dollars more than collector cred or purity. I’ll lose a decent portion of each sale buying the dupes to replace, some dupes are rare too, but I feel like I’m an idiot if I don’t take the money for sets that are like 85-90% of Lego quality.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bespin was one of the only original trilogy sets I've skipped in the almost decade I've been collecting Lego and it's increased in value more than just about any other Lego SW set in that time frame lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Amazon keeps delaying my Tallneck and now I'm starting to worry it's gonna get cancelled. :(

I gotta pack up my Deep Freeze Defender I have hanging from the ceiling for our move, heh. I had to hydrogen peroxide all of the white pieces of that one.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

hello my little skeleton army

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:getin: hell yeah

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any idea who makes these Breaking Bad RVs and what the quality might be like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/lego-breaking-bad/s?k=lego+breaking+bad

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm around two thirds of my way through lion knight's castle and I have sat back and gone oh you clever motherfucker no less than seven times so far

Barracuda Bay had some clever techniques but this takes the biscuit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reviews of the Walt Disney camera / film set are out, very positive. Includes a multi-plane camera model. Only $100.

https://youtu.be/y8PHaX5Stf0

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Waltzing Along posted:

I wrote a guide on cleaning pieces. It's linked in the OP of this thread.

Thanks! I read the OP a long time ago but never participated till now so I missed it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Finished Interceptor vs Mandalorian fighter set

Like them both! (but what am I going to do with the spare helmet/hair!?

Disappointed that the wings on the tie bend when you set it down. I might have to build something to fix that.
E: and there's this tiny gap in the arms greebling and the cockpit

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 21, 2023

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

smackfu posted:

Reviews of the Walt Disney camera / film set are out, very positive. Includes a multi-plane camera model. Only $100.

https://youtu.be/y8PHaX5Stf0
The multi plane camera is BY FAR the coolest thing in the set. Wish I could get it on its own for, like, 10 bucks.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Junkenstein posted:

I have no idea of the quality of those breaking bad sets and mainly want to point out that if you scroll down a bit you can find what is very plainly a spaceballs set thats being flogged as a breaking bad thing and thats pretty funny.

Somewhat relatedly I've been putting together a funwhole campervan recently, the quality is pretty good for a knock off imo. Theres been a rail thats weirdly misaligned and theres some illegal pieces (single plates with studs on the top and bottom oh my) but it's designed to use a lighting kit and its nice to have the leds and wiring included in the instructions rather than having to try and fit all of it afterwards.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Junkenstein posted:

That looks like that is this design on rebrickable.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-20606/OneBrickPony/breaking-bad-rv/#details
The comments on the design there are all positive. It'd be a crap shoot as far as the knock off pieces go.

In the comments the creator says they haven't been paid by any Chinese manufacturer. The design is stolen. If you decide to purchase one of those kits I'd encourage you to also pay the creator for the instructions too. It's only 6 UK pounds, or $7.70 US. No AFOL is making serious dough on their designs, kick them a few bucks to buy a pint.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 21, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I ordered one of those fake-Lego Japanese storefront sets off Amazon, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

deoju posted:

That looks like that is this design on rebrickable.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-20606/OneBrickPony/breaking-bad-rv/#details
The comments on the design there are all positive. It'd be a crap shoot as far as the knock off pieces go.

In the comments the creator says they haven't been paid by any Chinese manufacturer. The design is stolen. If you decide to purchase one of those kits I'd encourage you to also pay the creator for the instructions too. It's only 6 UK pounds, or $7.70 US.

Thanks, had a feeling those photos were actual lego. Found another one with a terrible review so not going to bother.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Junkenstein posted:

Thanks, had a feeling those photos were actual lego. Found another one with a terrible review so not going to bother.

Rebrickable can generate a parts list for Bricklink so that you could buy the authentic Lego pieces. It's a cool feature that I have used with success.

However, in this case it estimates the pieces for that set would cost $204.13. :homebrew:

This cute mini RV would be like $5 though.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-32443/blocksmiths/breaking-bad-rv/#parts

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

deoju posted:

Rebrickable can generate a parts list for Bricklink so that you could buy the authentic Lego pieces. It's a cool feature that I have used with success.

However, in this case it estimates the pieces for that set would cost $204.13. :homebrew:

This cute mini RV would be like $5 though.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-32443/blocksmiths/breaking-bad-rv/#parts

Since we're talking about the moral/ethical pitfalls of knockoffs and clones, I think one way to be budget conscious is to pay the rebrickable creators, but then order the pieces from the various Chinese factories, especially if they aren't easily found on bricklink used.

I just got in an order of minifigs for my kid I'm pretty pleased with - these 8 figures from the new spider-verse (no Peter Parkers which is nice, and his best friend in school pretends to be Pavitr Prabhakar so it's cool to get that fig). Weird web shooter hand option I didn't care for so I just used two regular hands on each

then 4 figs from Quantummania, it's crazy Kang doesn't have a licensed minifig

and then some JP dinos at a reasonable price of a $6 for the pack of 8

Of course, right after the order shipped, Red Sun superman popped up for sale, so now I need ANOTHER order :sigh:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Ok that's me all Lego'd out for now, Knights Castle and Forest Hideout done

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
LEGO MOC Pop-Up Store

In the beginning of the year, I submitted a model called the Apollo Motel to the Bricklink Designer Program. It did not make the list of Series 1 finalists unfortunately, but it has been given another chance through a pilot program LEGO is running called the MOC Pop-Up Store.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/moc-pop-up-store/about.page

~50 models from Series 1 and 2 were chosen to participate in this pilot. The way it works is that you'll be able to buy building instructions for the model directly from the designer through a specialized BrickLink store, and then purchase the parts to build it through a streamlined version of BrickLink's Easy Buy system. It will automatically generate the carts for the needed pieces based on your preferred parameters ("lowest cost," "domestic sellers only," and "fewest number of stores" are examples we were given) and then fulfill those carts using a combination of BrickLink sellers (in "new" condition only) and LEGO's own Pick-A-Brick where applicable. Users will be able to edit these shopping carts if they wish to omit certain elements (for instance, if they already own a lot of the needed pieces), but other than that, the system is intended to greatly streamline and simplify the parts buying experience.

The models participating were vetted and individually invited by LEGO. Each designer has received a mixture of specific and generalized feedback for improving the model and instructions. It doesn't receive the thorough overview/rebuild that Ideas projects do, but it's also not all "do whatever you want, we're not checking anything" like the older version of the BDP with the fishing boat and whatever that had some terrible builds.

So what the hell is the point of this?

LEGO was only able to bring a few models into production through the BDP out of hundreds submitted in each series. This program allows many more of those to see life than LEGO could realistically produce themselves. It's much easier than the typical BrickLink experience, and is the first program I know that can reference BrickLink and PAB against each other automatically, which is kind of rad and I wish was something that could be applied to any BL wishlist. Baseless speculation: I wonder if this also serves as a pilot for expanding that concept?

There are very few limitations here that weren't already limitations of the BDP. The main one is that minifigs and custom decals cannot be included, since LEGO will not be specifically producing anything for these, just using what's already available on their marketplaces. That's fine for me, because I used no stickers and my minifigs were pretty generic. For models that do rely on stickers, sellers will provide a printable .PDF of the graphics alongside the instructions.

Anyway, this all launches on August 29th (hopefully). My Apollo Motel will be available unchanged from its original submission except for the removal of the minifigs, I am quite pleased to say!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hell yeah! Also yeah that 100% has to be a pilot program to get BL and PAB to work together.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

LEGO MOC Pop-Up Store

In the beginning of the year, I submitted a model called the Apollo Motel to the Bricklink Designer Program. It did not make the list of Series 1 finalists unfortunately, but it has been given another chance through a pilot program LEGO is running called the MOC Pop-Up Store.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/moc-pop-up-store/about.page

~50 models from Series 1 and 2 were chosen to participate in this pilot. The way it works is that you'll be able to buy building instructions for the model directly from the designer through a specialized BrickLink store, and then purchase the parts to build it through a streamlined version of BrickLink's Easy Buy system. It will automatically generate the carts for the needed pieces based on your preferred parameters ("lowest cost," "domestic sellers only," and "fewest number of stores" are examples we were given) and then fulfill those carts using a combination of BrickLink sellers (in "new" condition only) and LEGO's own Pick-A-Brick where applicable. Users will be able to edit these shopping carts if they wish to omit certain elements (for instance, if they already own a lot of the needed pieces), but other than that, the system is intended to greatly streamline and simplify the parts buying experience.

The models participating were vetted and individually invited by LEGO. Each designer has received a mixture of specific and generalized feedback for improving the model and instructions. It doesn't receive the thorough overview/rebuild that Ideas projects do, but it's also not all "do whatever you want, we're not checking anything" like the older version of the BDP with the fishing boat and whatever that had some terrible builds.

So what the hell is the point of this?

LEGO was only able to bring a few models into production through the BDP out of hundreds submitted in each series. This program allows many more of those to see life than LEGO could realistically produce themselves. It's much easier than the typical BrickLink experience, and is the first program I know that can reference BrickLink and PAB against each other automatically, which is kind of rad and I wish was something that could be applied to any BL wishlist. Baseless speculation: I wonder if this also serves as a pilot for expanding that concept?

There are very few limitations here that weren't already limitations of the BDP. The main one is that minifigs and custom decals cannot be included, since LEGO will not be specifically producing anything for these, just using what's already available on their marketplaces. That's fine for me, because I used no stickers and my minifigs were pretty generic. For models that do rely on stickers, sellers will provide a printable .PDF of the graphics alongside the instructions.

Anyway, this all launches on August 29th (hopefully). My Apollo Motel will be available unchanged from its original submission except for the removal of the minifigs, I am quite pleased to say!

That is very cool and I'm glad you're getting the recognition you've earned. That pilot program is exactly how bricklink and Lego.com should be working together.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The motel owned

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's rad Carbs. Congrats on the recognition.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

So much fun building this, as someone who played with a bunch of castle lego as a kid in the mid-late 80s this was my dream set

It's satisfyingly chunky and has so many little secrets and easter eggs

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

3 bags in, approaching the final size.

Not sure how much of this is "legal".

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

gschmidl posted:

Not sure how much of this is "legal".

They had a "not sure this is legal" guy on the real ISD construction team and I probably don't have to tell you what happened to him.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I mentioned before that I a got the parts for this, by Carbohydrates: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22021/Carbohydrates/tiny-house-chevrolet-c10/

Here's where we are for Saturday night:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Frequent Studio users, is there any way to connect large chunks in two places at the same time, or a better way to deal with 3 dimension hinges than getting some aspect close and fiddling with individual numbers? I ask because as happy as I am with the result of the "build", I still had to name this render Collision.png

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a random question kinda about the aftermarket value of a LEGO set... take something like the Green Grocer for instance. Let's say you had a completed Green Grocer set with no instructions and no box. Just the assembled set and the extra pieces. Then you had a Green Grocer built by buying the pieces from Bricklink or somewhere like that. Same pieces, same model... would both of these be worth the same on the aftermarket if you were to try to sell them? Is the fact that first Green Grocer built from pieces that came from the ACTUAL original set make it worth more even though it is functionally the same thing as the reproduced one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the only real difference between a “real” set and a bricklinked set are going to be things like printed parts or stickers. Then of course the minifigures. Not having the instructions will drop the value quite a bit as well as possibly the box.

So I guess the answer is that there is no real distinction, but the chances you’d be able to fully complete a set like that via sourced parts at a reasonable price are pretty low.

You’d get the same price as someone with the original set who lost the instructions, figures and unique parts. Which is to say way less than someone with a complete version.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
To (mostly) eliminate the unique parts from the exercise:

Is a Bricklink order consisting of all the parts for 326: Small Cottage worth the same as bricks all sourced from a 326: Small Cottage box?

It might be easy to say the Small Cottage of Theseus is worth the same, but it might come down to stuff like the moulds and specific colors - even stuff like the Lego logo on the studs was different back then.

Perhaps most germane - I suspect folks buying something like the original Galaxy Explorer might be upset if they didn’t get the original helmets, or ended up with some new light bley plates.

I think ultimately, if you’re serious about the exact model, you’re going to be paying out the nose for NIB anyway. Otherwise, how could you really be sure. :tinfoil:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A blue 1x4 brick that came from a classic space set is the same as a blue 1x4 brick that came from a set last year. If the set had 10 of them and you have 10 of them, it doesn't matter the source.

The only times this may matter is when LEGO alters the mold. For instance, the Cafe Corner set has a bunch of dark red slopes. You can buy them from LEGO but it is a slightly different mold. You can't tell when the set is built but if you compared the two you could find the difference. For someone, this might matter. It's not a change like with the clips. Those are definitely different now than in the 80s. But this piece, iirc, was hollow in the CC set but now has a slightly different inside that isn't hollow.

LEGO says it is the same element. A very fastidious collector might want it to be exact exact. 99% of people won't care.

OTOH, that same set has some window elements that LEGO did change. The are totally smooth now but in the OG set they have a slight protrusion on the sides. LEGO says it is still the same element, but it does make a difference in that set.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The way I see it is parts are interchangeable within the era they were produced. Given your example of the 497/928 Galaxy Explorer, I'd expect the helmets on the minifigs to be the thin strap versions, and the torsos to not have the white primer behind the gold moon printing. Light grey parts shouldn't be substituted for light bluish grey, and when selling a set I go as far as trying to make sure the pieces have the correct anti-studs (solid vs the hollow center that started appearing in the 90s. Solids reappeared at some point though). Even on the colors that didn't change its still easy to tell a modern piece from a vintage one (modern parts are made with a clear plastic with color injected into it, older parts were a solid color from the start so they have a bit less shine, and even older bricks were made from a different material altogether so they even feel different).

If you have the original box and/or instructions the set will be worth more, but the initial value is determined if the set is complete and the bricks are appropriate to the era it originally came from.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have a random question kinda about the aftermarket value of a LEGO set... take something like the Green Grocer for instance. Let's say you had a completed Green Grocer set with no instructions and no box. Just the assembled set and the extra pieces. Then you had a Green Grocer built by buying the pieces from Bricklink or somewhere like that. Same pieces, same model... would both of these be worth the same on the aftermarket if you were to try to sell them? Is the fact that first Green Grocer built from pieces that came from the ACTUAL original set make it worth more even though it is functionally the same thing as the reproduced one?

My understanding is that it's fairly easy to skip over the minute aspects of an old set, like what kind of peg holes are on a 3 x 2 inverted slope, and even at that level of detail it's nearly, if not entirely, impossible to discern whether anything besides unique colors/molds/prints came from any one set. It'll be pretty obvious to a heavily scrutinizing buyer if the pieces are out of the proper era.

DrChu posted:

The way I see it is parts are interchangeable within the era they were produced.

This whole post, 100%.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TorakFade posted:

hello my little skeleton army

Needs a Bruce Campbell minifig

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just call it a "restored" version of the set of someone asks.
Much easier than explaining the Set of Theseus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Boco_T posted:

I mentioned before that I a got the parts for this, by Carbohydrates: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22021/Carbohydrates/tiny-house-chevrolet-c10/

Here's where we are for Saturday night:

Ooh, hope you dig it! This one still turns heads more than anything else I have at conventions, ha.