Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Now that I've actually read the full chapter it is open-ended enough that Hori could backpedal on killing Toga and have her survive through someone helping her. Maybe Kurogiri teleports them to a hospital in time or something after he inevitably turns good again. I hope there is enough backlash against this that he feels like he should because this would be a loving horrible end to Toga and Ochako's arcs.

Also I wouldn't say that Horikoshi has a habit of pointlessly killing female characters. Who are we talking about? Midnight and Star and Stripes? Midnight needed to die so we had a real casualty from the war and Star was introduced pretty specifically to die and influence the plot so I wouldn't call that pointless.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The "permanently maimed" count is I think relatively even between the genders but boy did he seem to enjoy showing Mirko lose three out of four limbs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nephthys posted:

Now that I've actually read the full chapter it is open-ended enough that Hori could backpedal on killing Toga and have her survive through someone helping her. Maybe Kurogiri teleports them to a hospital in time or something after he inevitably turns good again. I hope there is enough backlash against this that he feels like he should because this would be a loving horrible end to Toga and Ochako's arcs.

Also I wouldn't say that Horikoshi has a habit of pointlessly killing female characters. Who are we talking about? Midnight and Star and Stripes? Midnight needed to die so we had a real casualty from the war and Star was introduced pretty specifically to die and influence the plot so I wouldn't call that pointless.

Midnight was the named character chosen to be the token death despite being one of like, four named female pro hero participants in the entire war.

Star was introduced seemingly specifically to die to weaken Shigaraki - something that has borne precisely zero fruit over the past year plus of people fighting Shigaraki and being completely unable to harm him despite him apparently being weakened and losing quirks from her. Sure, I guess it might lead to a last minute "oh no, I'm losing because this one quirk Stars and Stripes destroyed was critical to this specific moment!", but we've still had loving pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of people fighting Shigs with Star's existence and sacrifice not mattering at all, including Shigaraki fighting Deku where an induced weakness would theoretically be important. Nagant randomly blowing Shigaraki's hand off(despite no one else being able to even harm him up to that point) did more to influence the fight against Shigaraki than Star's entire existence.

Speaking of Nagant, Nagant was introduced and then literally exploded in order to provide information on AfO's hiding place, which turned out to be a fake bullshit trap from AfO where the heroes went to his supposed hiding place, it exploded when they entered, harmed literally no one and was never mentioned again, rendering it one of the most pointless non-sequiturs in the story. Then it turned out that Nagant somehow survived despite exploding from the inside out on panel.

Mirko hasn't been killed on panel, but Horikoshi definitely has had something of a habit of showing her be repeatedly and horribly maimed. Even Endeavor hasn't gone through the dismemberment wringer remotely as badly as Mirko has.

I'm just saying that dealing an awful hand to a lady character is a pretty common thing in this manga, so Toga randomly dying for some reason while Dabi survives exploding into a flaming skeleton wouldn't be out of left field.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not only that but Midnight was also killed entirely off panel (as far as I remember anyway), we just got an in-universe announcement that she was dead and that was it

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

Midnight was the named character chosen to be the token death despite being one of like, four named female pro hero participants in the entire war.

Star was introduced seemingly specifically to die to weaken Shigaraki - something that has borne precisely zero fruit over the past year plus of people fighting Shigaraki and being completely unable to harm him despite him apparently being weakened and losing quirks from her. Sure, I guess it might lead to a last minute "oh no, I'm losing because this one quirk Stars and Stripes destroyed was critical to this specific moment!", but we've still had loving pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of people fighting Shigs with Star's existence and sacrifice not mattering at all, including Shigaraki fighting Deku where an induced weakness would theoretically be important. Nagant randomly blowing Shigaraki's hand off(despite no one else being able to even harm him up to that point) did more to influence the fight against Shigaraki than Star's entire existence.

Speaking of Nagant, Nagant was introduced and then literally exploded in order to provide information on AfO's hiding place, which turned out to be a fake bullshit trap from AfO where the heroes went to his supposed hiding place, it exploded when they entered, harmed literally no one and was never mentioned again, rendering it one of the most pointless non-sequiturs in the story. Then it turned out that Nagant somehow survived despite exploding from the inside out on panel.

Mirko hasn't been killed on panel, but Horikoshi definitely has had something of a habit of showing her be repeatedly and horribly maimed. Even Endeavor hasn't gone through the dismemberment wringer remotely as badly as Mirko has.

I'm just saying that dealing an awful hand to a lady character is a pretty common thing in this manga, so Toga randomly dying for some reason while Dabi survives exploding into a flaming skeleton wouldn't be out of left field.

Out of anyone he could have killed off, the lady perving on teens is the one I think we could do the most without so I'm really not that bothered by it. Her position in the story was perfect for her to be the death in the raid-side of the plot since she's the teacher with the most pagetime after Aizawa. Would anyone really care if Cementoss or Kamui Woods died?

As you've mentioned, her attack could be important in how many quirks Shigaraki has access to. Have we confirmed that he still has regen yet for example? He hasn't actually had a chance to use his quirks yet so we don't know whether its significant or not yet. Also there has been a moment where AfO thinks that the reason Shiggy still has some level of control is because of her so it has come up. But mostly her death was important to establish why the rest of the worlds heroes aren't showing up, which is a pretty significant thing to establish.

I honestly don't see how her gender matters at all tbh. She was a badass, she died to show how strong Shigaraki is and set up some plot stuff. Same with Nagant showing off Deku's growth and vigilante arc. Would the story be better if they were two more male heroes? No. Is the story better with them? Yes. Then what's the problem?

As mentioned by Fabricated, the number of women maimed is pretty much even with the number of men. The only time that its been excessive was Mirko and I'm pretty sure Horikoshi just went overboard because of how much people loved her fight with the Nomu's.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 21, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

As you've mentioned, her attack could be important in how many quirks Shigaraki has access to. Have we confirmed that he still has regen yet for example? He hasn't actually had a chance to use his quirks yet so we don't know whether its significant or not yet. Also there has been a moment where AfO thinks that the reason Shiggy still has some level of control is because of her so it has come up. But mostly her death was important to establish why the rest of the worlds heroes aren't showing up, which is a pretty significant thing to establish.

We saw Shiggy get his hands shot off by Nagant, and they regrew. He very clearly has regen still(on top of the apparent natural ability to grow even more hands).

EDIT: I gotta ask, would a blood transfusion really help Uraraka much right now? She's still got the massive stab wound on her gut, along with all of her other injuries. All that new blood is just going to go right back out.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 21, 2023

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rhonne posted:

We saw Shiggy get his hands shot off by Nagant, and they regrew. He very clearly has regen still(on top of the apparent natural ability to grow even more hands).

EDIT: I gotta ask, would a blood transfusion really help Uraraka much right now? She's still got the massive stab wound on her gut, along with all of her other injuries. All that new blood is just going to go right back out.

I'm pretty sure a jeart wouldn't realistically help bakugo either, but it's a manga, so.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nephthys posted:

I honestly don't see how her gender matters at all tbh. She was a badass, she died to show how strong Shigaraki is and set up some plot stuff. Same with Nagant showing off Deku's growth and vigilante arc. Would the story be better if they were two more male heroes? No. Is the story better with them? Yes. Then what's the problem?

Generally it’s not considered good writing to introduce a new character whose sole purpose is to die to show how powerful the villain in

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

CharlestonJew posted:

Generally it’s not considered good writing to introduce a new character whose sole purpose is to die to show how powerful the villain in

Especially when you've gotta write the fight in an obtuse way to make sure the villain wins

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Bad writing is gender neutral.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Fabricated posted:

The "permanently maimed" count is I think relatively even between the genders but boy did he seem to enjoy showing Mirko lose three out of four limbs.

It's okay, she can still make a comeback as Mirko, Bun of Steel

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As the saying goes, once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I did not mark for Toga/Ochako's moment because I thought it made narrative sense, I marked because it was an enormous unexpected yuri moment.

We are not the same

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

In a darker story this ending would have been Uraraka dying from her injuries, and Toga taking all her blood in order to permanently become her and run away to start a new life somewhere else.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

In a darker story this ending would have been Uraraka dying from her injuries, and Toga taking all her blood in order to permanently become her and run away to start a new life somewhere else.

I unironically think that would be a cool ending but people would flip their poo poo so there's no way. Imo a great ending following on from this chapter would be Toga surviving but "officially" she's dead and posing as Uraraka sometimes. Uravity beats out Bakugo Todoroki to the No 2 Hero spot by being so efficient people swear she's in two places at once!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 21, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

I gotta ask, would a blood transfusion really help Uraraka much right now? She's still got the massive stab wound on her gut, along with all of her other injuries. All that new blood is just going to go right back out.

I think Toga stitched her up before the transfusion.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a tiny speech bubble saying something like "I'll close the wound" though it's unclear how Toga can do that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jeanist is Bakugo's heart, Toga is Ochako's blood, I'm calling that All Might becomes Deku's arm bones or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Jeanist is Bakugo's heart, Toga is Ochako's blood, I'm calling that All Might becomes Deku's arm bones or something

This is the worst Wizard of Oz adaptation I've ever seen

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Sindai posted:

There's a tiny speech bubble saying something like "I'll close the wound" though it's unclear how Toga can do that.
idk seems like the girl who plays with medical supplies a whole bunch might know how to make stitches too

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
How many characters are in this deathless limbo state now? Bakugo, Spinner, Dabi, Guy stitching up Bakugo, Ochako. You’re running outta cliff man

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

How many characters are in this deathless limbo state now? Bakugo, Spinner, Dabi, Guy stitching up Bakugo, Ochako. You’re running outta cliff man

Pretty much all of the heroes that were caught up in the clone tidal wave look beat to poo poo. I don't think the Dr. Mario hospital has enough room for all of them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
How could i forget All for One, who’s been rewinding into a baby for 6 hours.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Petition to change the thread subtitle to the cutest girl in the world!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean that is the thing about getting someone to really sit down and reflect on their life of mass murder. What you've accomplished is getting someone to sit down and reflect on their life of mass murder. There aren't a lot of happy endings there. Like her wondering if there was a world where she could have lived a better life, while accepting herself and the choices she made is probably the best she was going to get. Society had a role in making her who she is, but that doesn't change that that is who she is.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
i dunno kinda sucks to quietly sweep the deviants under the rug after all that crap about being able to save the most horrible people. guess the writer can’t imagine that better world after all.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

There's a lot to be said about all the different ways this can play out but the fact that it once again went to the death of a character tells a lot of how lazy the writing feels.

If you're going to have her come to this huge realization that there are people out there who can understand and sympathize with her, have her pay her dues and work towards the world she wishes she had. Have her give talks to all the other kids with quirks that society shuns because of what they are. Have her repay her debt to society for the hope of seeing others get what she couldn't. Let her be the agent of change she wants to be in a more constructive way.

Don't just kill her off and call it a day.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's okay she'll get some jorts blood to match the jeart

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'll be extremely surprised if toga is actually dead. "Fakeout Death" might well be the #1 most common "plot twist" in shounen manga.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mymla posted:

I'll be extremely surprised if toga is actually dead. "Fakeout Death" might well be the #1 most common "plot twist" in shounen manga.

Still can't believe that they killed Shouji back in the School Trip training exercise

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Mymla posted:

It really says a lot about the writing of the past couple years that I sincerely believe he’ll just keep Toga dead lmao, I have almost zero trust in Horikoshi’s decision-making.

It was an okay chapter; I really thought the last few were decent tbh, but idk if there was a satisfying way to end this arc the way it was built.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'd be surprised if toga is dead, i can't remember horikoshi really killing off any villain who is in the process of redemption (gentle/la brava, nagant, etc)-- hell even gigantomachia seems to be having his moment

e: not to mention the upcoming allmight/stain teamup

stuker fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 22, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Okay, but how many villains have died in MHA previously, though? Isn't it just Magne, Skeptic, and Twice?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Okay, but how many villains have died in MHA previously, though? Isn't it just Magne, Skeptic, and Twice?

MVA ups the count with curious at least, but villains not dying is kinda what i mean-- this entire thing could definitely end with dabi and toga dead, but to me it feels against type for the series

i think we're probably gonna see the same thing with kurogiri before we even get to what everyone wants: Mechall-Might

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah my preferred outcome is Ochako recovering and Tsuyuu or whomever going "yeah we just found this rag next to you" and implying that Toga survived but is in hiding.

I mean I really want the redemption arc and the Toga x Ochako thing to happen but I ain't holding my breath.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Good lord did a bunch of you think Ted Bundy was kawaii or something

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean that is a thing that people actually think

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

stuker posted:

MVA ups the count with curious at least, but villains not dying is kinda what i mean-- this entire thing could definitely end with dabi and toga dead, but to me it feels against type for the series

i think we're probably gonna see the same thing with kurogiri before we even get to what everyone wants: Mechall-Might

Right, Curious is who I meant. Skeptic was that other guy.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

TheKingofSprings posted:

take it easy its just a drawing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ted Bundy was not yuri