Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Does it really need to be fixed to sell? In my market at least no one would bat an eye at that.

I feel like most dog owners would just be like "yeah cool don't need to fix that just so mine breaks it again."

This is my take on it. Wait until it's a problem. If the buyers somehow balk at it tell them "no" - they could see that damage when they made their offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
I have a strange electrical problem in my separate garage. Both it and the house are very old, and the wiring is just 2 romex strung between the buildings. The outlet tests fine, however there is a 105v between the electrical ground of the outlet and the earth ground. If I touch the metal garage door or a metal pipe just touching the damp earth and the grounded outlet casing you feel a buzz. I'm quite confused on what could be causing this problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GamerMage posted:

I have a strange electrical problem in my separate garage. Both it and the house are very old, and the wiring is just 2 romex strung between the buildings. The outlet tests fine, however there is a 105v between the electrical ground of the outlet and the earth ground. If I touch the metal garage door or a metal pipe just touching the damp earth and the grounded outlet casing you feel a buzz. I'm quite confused on what could be causing this problem.

Sounds like a question for the wiring thread. As a non-expert, though, I have to wonder what you mean about "electrical ground of the outlet" if you don't have a ground wire.

In any case, something's getting electricity that shouldn't be.

Jenkl posted:

Does it really need to be fixed to sell? In my market at least no one would bat an eye at that.

I feel like most dog owners would just be like "yeah cool don't need to fix that just so mine breaks it again."

Thanks, yeah, this is a good reality check. I was kind of assuming that everything "wrong" with the house needed to be fixed, but it's true that that's not necessarily the case. I should focus on the issues that will have the best return on investment.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a non-expert, though, I have to wonder what you mean about "electrical ground of the outlet" if you don't have a ground wire.

In any case, something's getting electricity that shouldn't be.

There is a ground wire going out to the garage. But, I'm moving this question to the forum you suggested.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

The steam/clothes iron trick won't work completely in this case, because he absolutely severed fibers and removed material from the door. Bondo and paint is potentially an option, though. My primary goal here is to rehab the door enough to sell the house, so really all I care about is that there won't be issues that will make prospective buyers lowball me.

All the effort you put into your workshop and you're going to sell? Hope it's good news, but if not I'm sorry man.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

All the effort you put into your workshop and you're going to sell? Hope it's good news, but if not I'm sorry man.

It's all good! I'm hoping to move closer to family. If necessary I'll build a new workshop wherever I end up.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

It's all good! I'm hoping to move closer to family. If necessary I'll build a new workshop wherever I end up.

If only you had your workshop!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jenkl posted:

If only you had your workshop!

Not gonna lie, the bootstrapping process may be interesting. At my current property, I used my garage to hold my bandsaw and other large tools, and spent some time each day setting up and tearing down my miter saw on-site. I have a lot more tools now, though, and some of the properties I'm looking at don't have garages.

Probably I'd end up making an 8x12 shed as a temporary workspace, use that to build the full-size space, then use the shed for yard tools or something.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jenkl posted:

Just have the agent add "rustic" to the listing

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Anyone here know much about dimmable LED bulbs?

My ancient apartment has a mix of newer-style slider dimmer switches and what are clearly old rotary dimmers. I purchased some dimmable LED bulbs that work fine on the sliders, but fade in and out, strobe, etc -- clearly don't work properly on the rotary dimmers. Do I need some kind of even more special bulbs for these? How do I know if I've got the right ones?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Not sure where to ask, but I'll start here and if this is more appropriate for the electronics thread or somewhere else please let me know.

I bought (for approximately zero dollars) a Panasonic SA-DK20 system at the Tip Shop. I'm in Australia, and next to the municipal landfill (the Tip) is a ramshackle warehouse that sells things salvaged from the landfill or donated directly by the public. I've picked up a few similar three-component-stereos over the past year or two, always for a price somewhere between a shrug and a wave (at most, $20).

They let me plug it in at the shop and it turned on. I took it to my office because I want to use the 45W-per-front-speaker amp as my laptop's sound output. I have a cheap 8W USB soundbar that crackles its way through Zoom meetings and the like. I have a Sony system as my home desktop's sound output. I cleaned the dust off of it (there wasn't much dust on it), hooked up the speakers, and plugged it in. It picked up FM radio signals no problem, and I grabbed a few CDs and loaded the 5-disk changer. It was running OK, but sometimes hesitating while playing a CD - just a half-second pause in the music and some mechanical noises from the CD player. Poorly-functioning CD players are very common in these 20-year-old stereos - my Sony at home initially played disks OK but stopped after a month or two, and of the two other systems at home (a Kenwood in the living room to run big speakers for the TV; another Panasonic in the kitchen), only the kitchen Panasonic still plays disks. All three systems at home can play what's put in through the AUX channel, no problem.

Yesterday, I let it just play continuously from a CD, at very low volume, hoping to work out if the hesitations were on all disks, just the one in position 1, or some other issue. When I cam back from lunch it had turned off. I assumed this was because it reached the end of the disk and then timed out, but the standby light was off and I could not turn it on.

Nothing at all. I can push that power button and everything else and nothing happens. I verified that the wall socket was supplying normal power (I plugged in a fan, it turns) and then I took the case off of the stereo. I pulled the fuse at the power supply, a T2AL 250V glass fuse and took it home. My multimeter tells me it is not blown - resistance drops to zero when I apply the test electrodes - and the wire inside looks unbroken (though it is hard to tell for sure). Today I put a coin between the terminals of the fuse holder, on the chance that I had been using my multimeter wrong last night but nothing changed.

The inside looks reasonably clean for a 20-year-old stereo - a light coating of dust on most surfaces but not enough to interfere with any moving parts and I see no signs of scorches or melted components that would indicate a short-circuit or similar problem. There's no smell of burnt plastic, either. It's sitting on a desk in my office, without anything blocking any of the vents on the sides and rear. The heat sink inside looks clean and the fan turns easily and has only a thin layer of dust.

A recurring turns-off-for-no-reason problem may well be the reason this thing was donated in the first place. I'd like to fix it if I can, but if it's a total write off I'm out literally nothing except some time at this point. And I can wait for the next similar system to show up at the Tip Shop (there is another 3-component-system there but it has no easy way to pipe in a signal from my laptop - this beast has RCA red/white AUX inputs at the back and the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable I bought on Amazon arrived today).

DSC_3660 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
DSC_3661 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
DSC_3662 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
DSC_3663 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look next for the source of the problem? Is there a way to reset the computer in this thing, like pushing a button for 30 seconds or something?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Cyril Sneer posted:

My ancient apartment has a mix of newer-style slider dimmer switches and what are clearly old rotary dimmers. I purchased some dimmable LED bulbs that work fine on the sliders, but fade in and out, strobe, etc -- clearly don't work properly on the rotary dimmers. Do I need some kind of even more special bulbs for these? How do I know if I've got the right ones?
Other direction — you need dimmers that will work with LEDs. It’s easy to install new switches, just look up a couple YouTube videos and remember to kill the power at the breaker. Lutron makes good LED dimmers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

Almost all dimmable LED bulbs require a PWM dimmer. Not old school resistance one, which is what you have. If you have any LED bulbs dimming properly on an old resistance dimmer they are a unicorn and/or are going to have a short lifespan.

What you need are new dimmers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Almost all dimmable LED bulbs require a PWM dimmer. Not old school resistance one, which is what you have. If you have any LED bulbs dimming properly on an old resistance dimmer they are a unicorn and/or are going to have a short lifespan.

What you need are new dimmers.

Do old incandescents and ceiling fans work fine with the new dimmers?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do old incandescents and ceiling fans work fine with the new dimmers?

Absolutely. You're increasing compatibility, not changing what you can use.

The only things I've ever heard of (not personally seen) having issues were some of the weird old dimmable CFLs. And I doubt anyone has any of those anymore.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Not sure where to ask, but I'll start here and if this is more appropriate for the electronics thread or somewhere else please let me know.
Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look next for the source of the problem? Is there a way to reset the computer in this thing, like pushing a button for 30 seconds or something?

First thing's first. Pull that main fuse and see if it's corroded or if the sockets are loose.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

H110Hawk posted:

:toot:

Call Lowes. That's on them.

So after nearly five days we finally have a resolution. They kept passing the buck forEVER and never calling us back.

Finally someone calls my wife (even though they were supposed to be calling me) and said that it was installed correctly and in fact they had photographic proof it was installed correctly and they wouldn't be refunding anything.

Needless to say I called and raised even more hell and finally got connected to someone at the warehouse that said the only photos they had were showing it was delivered and nothing showing the cords.

So without even a fuss he just refunded it and is price matching to the current price (we bought on sale for $430 and it's $800 now).

I'm glad it got resolved but I just hate how endlessly and tirelessly you have to be your own vocally irate advocate lest they just gently caress you over.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

hello all, i'm back with some more stupid newbie first time actually having a house questions =)

so as the summer's gotten hotter, we've been using the ac a bit more, and over time i've noticed that it actually has a relatively significant shaking/rumbling effect that's easily felt throughout the house. the ac unit is lifted up like 10 feet off the ground, roughly flush with the second floor i guess, and the rumbling is especially noticeable in that area of the house/near that wall.

i was wondering if there's anything we might be able to do about this given how noticeable it is. like, you really can just feel your whole body kinda tremoring a little bit. here's some pictures of what it looks like:

i was wondering if, hopefully as an easier option, a dampening pad could be added between the metal casters that it sits on + the metal casters on the ac unit itself. aside from that, i suppose building/inserting something underneath it to transfer some of the vibration down into the ground rather than the house could be helpful. do either of those seem realistic/helpful/possible/effective, or if not, any other ideas?

i'm not looking for a 100% fix, like even a 50 - 75% reduction would be great, but yeah, open to any suggestions / let me know if there's more questions i can answer. thanks!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Soap Scum posted:

hello all, i'm back with some more stupid newbie first time actually having a house questions =)

so as the summer's gotten hotter, we've been using the ac a bit more, and over time i've noticed that it actually has a relatively significant shaking/rumbling effect that's easily felt throughout the house. the ac unit is lifted up like 10 feet off the ground, roughly flush with the second floor i guess, and the rumbling is especially noticeable in that area of the house/near that wall.

i was wondering if there's anything we might be able to do about this given how noticeable it is. like, you really can just feel your whole body kinda tremoring a little bit. here's some pictures of what it looks like:

i was wondering if, hopefully as an easier option, a dampening pad could be added between the metal casters that it sits on + the metal casters on the ac unit itself. aside from that, i suppose building/inserting something underneath it to transfer some of the vibration down into the ground rather than the house could be helpful. do either of those seem realistic/helpful/possible/effective, or if not, any other ideas?

i'm not looking for a 100% fix, like even a 50 - 75% reduction would be great, but yeah, open to any suggestions / let me know if there's more questions i can answer. thanks!

Dunno if it’s possible given the mounting, but maybe look into spring isolators. They’re made for stuff like this, but usually on a much larger scale.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

Yeah, that's installed wrong. There are supposed to be rubber isolators (about 1" tall) between each of those 4 bolts and the wall bracket they are mounted to. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Parts-Anit-Vibration-Compressors-Harvester/dp/B07D8JLPRJ

Those absolutely came in the parts bag in the box with the compressor and whoever installed it simply didn't put them on.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Dunno if it’s possible given the mounting, but maybe look into spring isolators. They’re made for stuff like this, but usually on a much larger scale.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's installed wrong. There are supposed to be rubber isolators (about 1" tall) between each of those 4 bolts and the wall bracket they are mounted to. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Parts-Anit-Vibration-Compressors-Harvester/dp/B07D8JLPRJ

Those absolutely came in the parts bag in the box with the compressor and whoever installed it simply didn't put them on.

haha, okay, thanks for the diagnosis and advice. i know almost nothing about this but i figured something was wrong given that i've never seen an ac that rattled picture frames off shelves before. those look easy to install except that it's 10 feet in the air so.... i'll have to look into how to get that done i guess

just for my own education, these little black bits here:

are those anti-vibration but just too small / in the wrong place / needs an additional piece on top of it? or are those totally unrelated to vibration dampening?

thanks again, super appreciated

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

just for my own education, these little black bits here:

are those anti-vibration but just too small / in the wrong place / needs an additional piece on top of it? or are those totally unrelated to vibration dampening?

thanks again, super appreciated

That's not in the right place to be vibration reduction. It looks like it's just a part of the white piece that adjusts on that universal bracket to the width you need for the unit you're mouting to it. Maybe it's the lock to old that piece where it is in the channel? I'm not familiar with that particular bracket.

But the general idea is that the AC compressor should not be bolted to that bracket. It should be bolted to a chunk (well, 4 chunks) or rubber that are then bolted to that bracket. Other than being that far in the air this should be a pretty simple job. There should be plenty of slack in the lines and wires to move it enough to install those things.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

That's not in the right place to be vibration reduction. It looks like it's just a part of the white piece that adjusts on that universal bracket to the width you need for the unit you're mouting to it. Maybe it's the lock to old that piece where it is in the channel? I'm not familiar with that particular bracket.

But the general idea is that the AC compressor should not be bolted to that bracket. It should be bolted to a chunk (well, 4 chunks) or rubber that are then bolted to that bracket. Other than being that far in the air this should be a pretty simple job. There should be plenty of slack in the lines and wires to move it enough to install those things.

got it, makes sense, thanks a ton again. yeah it's unfortunate it's lifted so high up because otherwise i'd be totally happy to handle this myself (or with a +1 maybe), but this might require some pro help since i don't even have a single ladder that could make working on that reasonable. well, annoying, but at least it's good to know that probably the shaking can be dealt with to a moderate degree. thank you!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

So without even a fuss he just refunded it and is price matching to the current price (we bought on sale for $430 and it's $800 now).

I'm glad it got resolved but I just hate how endlessly and tirelessly you have to be your own vocally irate advocate lest they just gently caress you over.

:toot: Congratulations.

We're in escrow on a house and we have the age old question so place your bets: Is It Asbestos?!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
What is that? Looks like some sort of flex vent, did they even ever make those with asbestos?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Danhenge posted:

What is that? Looks like some sort of flex vent, did they even ever make those with asbestos?

Oh, sorry. According to the inspection it's hvac ducting. Kinda gives off fiberglass vibes but I honestly have no idea from that one crappy picture.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

First thing's first. Pull that main fuse and see if it's corroded or if the sockets are loose.

Done. No visible corrosion, and the fuse tests intact on my multimeter (unless I'm using my multimeter wrong, but I think it's showing very low resistance when I touch the probes to the fuse). Is there a way to use a multimeter on the device itself, like by removing the fuse and making the connection across the fuse holder sockets through the multimeter?

Nothing seemed loose in that area but I didn't really yank on anything there. I think I'll just go ahead an order a big box of fuses from Amazon or someplace, I seem to be collecting these devices and having fuses on hand will be useful again eventually.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ExecuDork posted:

Done. No visible corrosion, and the fuse tests intact on my multimeter (unless I'm using my multimeter wrong, but I think it's showing very low resistance when I touch the probes to the fuse). Is there a way to use a multimeter on the device itself, like by removing the fuse and making the connection across the fuse holder sockets through the multimeter?

Nothing seemed loose in that area but I didn't really yank on anything there. I think I'll just go ahead an order a big box of fuses from Amazon or someplace, I seem to be collecting these devices and having fuses on hand will be useful again eventually.

I mean, multimeters can measure voltage and amperage across a circuit. Plug it into a calculator to see if it should pop that circuit

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I find continuity is a better test that resistance for fuses. You can probably use your meter to jump the fuse but most of them are only rated to 10amp and if you don't know what you'll doing you'll break it. You'd be better off putting the fuse back and just checking voltage end to end

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't use current mode on your meter, especially if it's not a fluke.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I’m an idiot when it comes to paint and walls so possibly dumb question: I was going to fill in some various bolt holes and other blemishes in the drywall at our place that some idiot who is definitely not me created. I was planning on using DryDex spackle then painting over but if anyone has a better rec I’m open to it. Also DryDex says you don’t need to prime it before you paint over but how realistic is that? These will be like one square inch size batches and an off white paint if that matters.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is this asbestos? Commercial building from 1967, on steel water pipes, wrapping is white paper and I can’t see any labels anywhere. Not sure if fiberglass was around then, but internet says pipe asbestos was usually white or blue not yellowed-brown

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 22, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

icantfindaname posted:

Is this asbestos? Commercial building from 1967, on steel water pipes, wrapping is white paper and I can’t see any labels anywhere. Not sure if fiberglass was around then, but internet says pipe asbestos was usually white or blue not yellowed-brown

Looks like fiberglass to me, but the only way to be sure is to get it tested. Fiberglass existed in 1967 and there's some here (house built in 1964) that looks similar to that. It could contain asbestos, though. They put that poo poo in everything. Most of the commercial asbestos pipe wrapping I see in online images looks a bit more like a mat/fibrous but that doesn't mean you're not looking at it there:
https://hawkenvironmental.com/learning-center/asbestos-faq/asbestos-pipe-insulation/
https://lipsitzponterio.com/occupations-and-trades/pipe-covering/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anytime someone asks “is this asbestos?” the answer is either “yes” or “no but it’s covered with asbestos”

People loving loved asbestos back in the day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To be fair, it is kind of a miracle product.

Edit: as long as it stays outside of your lungs ofc.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Voodoofly posted:

I’m an idiot when it comes to paint and walls so possibly dumb question: I was going to fill in some various bolt holes and other blemishes in the drywall at our place that some idiot who is definitely not me created. I was planning on using DryDex spackle then painting over but if anyone has a better rec I’m open to it. Also DryDex says you don’t need to prime it before you paint over but how realistic is that? These will be like one square inch size batches and an off white paint if that matters.

This is fine. Anything bigger than 1x1 and you'll want to put something like this down first:

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-282084-Self-Adhesive-Drywall-Repair/dp/B0046D2BA4/ref=sr_1_7?qid=1690077293&sr=8-7

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Oh, sorry. According to the inspection it's hvac ducting. Kinda gives off fiberglass vibes but I honestly have no idea from that one crappy picture.

Unless the interior brown bit is asbestos I'm being you got lucky and that's just fiberglass

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Two caulk tips: the bead is self smoothing if you push instead of pull. If you don't know what I mean, screw some 2x4 scraps together so you have a 90 degree corner. Stick the tip of the caulk tube in the corner, and push away from you instead of pulling, while squeezing the trigger to keep even flow of caulk. You'll get the hang of it quickly, it's pretty intuitive. Under applying is easier to fix than over applying because you can just run it again.

The tip of the caulk tube will smooth the bead as you go. Usually it comes out perfect, for me, but if not, you can just run your finger over it and then wipe your finger off on a paper towel, and do it again until it's smooth.

Caulking isn't hard at all.

There is a trick for getting caulk/silicone to look perfect, use canned glass cleaner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwmqkoz1tE

The name of the product we use at work is "Sprayway World's Best Glass Cleaner". And yeah, it's magic compared to everything else when working with silicone. Wet the surface of the silicone, and your hand with the spray, and be quick with touching the silicone. Even with the spray, the silicone will stick to your fingernails, and some other materials. But skin and cloth soaked in the cleaner are both pretty resistant to sticking. If you use cloth or shaping or texturing, soak a rag in the cleaner, and use quick dabs on the silicone. Fold the rag over once it starting picking up silicone, if a glob gets stuck to the cloth, more silicone will start sticking to that.

Soapy water (dish soap in water, spray lots of it to keep everything wet) also kinda works, but the glass cleaner is better. I've personally used the cleaner with silicone, construction adhesive, and fire barrier caulking, and it's been great with all 3. Concrete patch caulk does NOT work with glass cleaner, it went right through the cleaner and got all over my finger.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

jetz0r posted:

There is a trick for getting caulk/silicone to look perfect, use canned glass cleaner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwmqkoz1tE

Came for the tip, stayed for the U2 soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

floWenoL posted:

... the overflow tube is too high, so it drains out the non-watertight hole for the flush handle first. Here's a picture ...:

IOwnCalculus posted:

It looks just aged enough that I wouldn't attempt the fix without having a whole replacement kit on hand, because that tube looks like it might snap when you try to cut it. But then yes, I'd attempt the repair without pulling the tank first.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Nah attempt the repair and then drive to the store after it breaks like a real man.

I finally (!) got around to this. I did try the repair without a replacement kit on hand, and the repair gods were with me today, because the tube held up when I cut it. I was worried about having enough room to cut the pipe, but I used this ratcheting PVC cutter tool, and there was just enough room on the right side to use it. I ended up with:

The refill tube is a bit long, but it seemed brittle and I didn't want to push my luck. I'm planning on replacing the whole fill valve anyway (since it started squeaking).

Thanks for the help everyone!