Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Das Boo posted:

So I decided to sit down and just read the whole manga this last month. Am I wrong, or do we never actually see Casca win a fight?

I want to be wrong.

She kicks that sexist knight's rear end a few times in golden age, doesn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

So I decided to sit down and just read the whole manga this last month. Am I wrong, or do we never actually see Casca win a fight?

I want to be wrong.

She stabs the one dude through the head when they invade that big castle the Rhino knights are defending.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Casca barely does anything, she's basically just a prop

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
We hardly see anybody but Guts winning fights. Like Griffith and Skull Knight sometimes I guess.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Skull Knight being a massive fuckup failson and losing important fights is actually critical to the story

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Counterpoint: he blocked his own redirected attack when rescuing Guts and Casca

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Casca fights I can remember:

vs Guts: She loses, but hey join the club.

vs Adon: She loses because she's on her period, no really. Not that I have to explain to anybody itt that for the vast majority of its serialization Berserk had some serious problems with women.

vs some randos after Guts tells her to run away so he can fight the real battle: She loses, and the randos immediately try to rape her because adfahkseflsd then she stabs one in the eye and gets saved by Judeau.

vs Adon again: She wins but before she cuts his head off he like fake surrenders and gets her with poison or something so Guts still has to show up and "rescue" her after she wins her own fight.

vs the Eclipse: She loses like everybody and then gets salaciously raped on screen by Griffith. Once again: Miura is indefensibly bad with his female characters for almost the entire series.

[insert 20 years of being infantilized and useless]

vs the tutorial golems: She wins to show the audience that even after everything she's still a capable warrior who could stick it with the group. Except immediately after she gets kidnapped by Griffith and chucked into an illusionary dream life to pacify her.

So yeah uh, I'd say... not great, in terms of a track record in the series for Casca, to put it mildly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
oh like gaston did any better

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Edit: lol gently caress I'm wrong nm

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Regalingualius posted:

Counterpoint: he blocked his own redirected attack when rescuing Guts and Casca

"not scoring the most lethal possible own goal" is some hardcore damning with faint praise

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I do get the impression Miura was improving with writing women towards the latter half of the series. Shierke's written well and with kindness, and I actually really like Farnese's arc- She's hosed up, but she's working hard at being better and she's become an asset to the team beyond babysitting.

It just struck me how often characters say Casca's incredible with a sword, or second only to Griffith when we just kinda don't really see it? I like Casca and I want the story to give her agency.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I dunno if "winning" and "losing" is really the right way to think about fights in Berserk. Like, yeah, Guts "won" the hundred-man melee, but he was half-dead at the end of it and might have died for real if the Band of the Hawk hadn't stumbled on his body, IIRC.

The real measure of success in the world of Berserk is the ability to face overwhelming odds, survive somehow, and not succumb to despair in the face of the trauma incurred in the process. Casca regressed to a cartoonishly infantile state after the Eclipse as a self-defense mechanism, but she also went straight back into "hardcore fighter" mode as soon as she was snapped out of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Das Boo posted:

I do get the impression Miura was improving with writing women towards the latter half of the series. Shierke's written well and with kindness, and I actually really like Farnese's arc- She's hosed up, but she's working hard at being better and she's become an asset to the team beyond babysitting.

It just struck me how often characters say Casca's incredible with a sword, or second only to Griffith when we just kinda don't really see it? I like Casca and I want the story to give her agency.

Casca finally regaining her sanity and seemingly set to join the group only to immediately get sidelined again was a real fuckin' ballkick, yeah. One of the few major narrative points in the story I really do not like at all.

I agree that Miura was getting better with his female characters. Right around the time Guts gets the titular armor graphic depictions of rape mostly vanish from the story and Farnese/Schierke get more focus and development. The Luca/Nina stuff during the Tower of Conviction arc is also really well done all around which is surprising given they were introduced as a pair of camp followers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It sucks that it had to come at the cost of his really unfortunate writing habits when he was younger but I do appreciate how the later Miura-written berserk chapters feel like he's taking himself to task for his earlier writing. Given that Guts has been on a long, looooong road to recovery for the awful poo poo he's done and experienced, it seems appropriate. It's the same way that the new God of War games address the childish idea of "maturity" present in the ultraviolent schlock of the original games and make that change of mindset a significant part of the narrative.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Casca’s most heroic moments is managing to keep the Band of the Hawk going for a year after Griffith was captured and Guts was off discovering himself. We don’t see that much of it but she managed to keep them alive and then help with with rescuing Griffith.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also not sure if I'm just the last one on this train, but this dude uploaded the entire '97 anime with the bloopers seamlessly edited in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7u4z85Yyuc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Das Boogityboogityboo

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Casca telling everyone to suck her cock is Casca being her best self.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Also not sure if I'm just the last one on this train, but this dude uploaded the entire '97 anime with the bloopers seamlessly edited in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7u4z85Yyuc

'I'm Batman'

:sigh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It would have been Miura's 57th birthday today. :smith:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

No Dignity posted:

'I'm Batman'

:sigh:

HEY ITS GOKU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m watching The Boys and hey this just Berserk with superheroes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Which one is Griffith, aka the one who did nothing wrong?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

christmas boots posted:

Which one is Griffith, aka the one who did nothing wrong?

Homelander

I want to deny it but I can see it

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Can’t wait for S3 when Guts and Rickert use TemporaryBehelits to become TemporaryApostles and slap Griffith.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

mycot posted:

Homelander

I want to deny it but I can see it

Eh, it lacks the personal betrayal aspect

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Elite posted:

Can’t wait for S3 when Guts and Rickert use TemporaryBehelits to become TemporaryApostles and slap Griffith.

Berserker armor…

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

christmas boots posted:

Eh, it lacks the personal betrayal aspect

If Butcher is Guts, it's sure damned personal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, but they didn't know each other. They weren't friends. Homelander is some rear end in a top hat that did an absolutely terrible thing to someone Butcher cared about, but Griffith was a close friend of Casca and Guts, and then he betrayed them both in the worst possible way. It doesn't hit the same imo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, but they didn't know each other. They weren't friends. Homelander is some rear end in a top hat that did an absolutely terrible thing to someone Butcher cared about, but Griffith was a close friend of Casca and Guts, and then he betrayed them both in the worst possible way. It doesn't hit the same imo

Griffith is worse than Homelander agreed

but they do share some textual components to be sure

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe it’s cause of all the time spent reading Berserk but everyone talks about how terrible Butcher in The Boys is and how he’s an example of toxic masculinity and leading everyone down a dark path of revenge and I’m like “huh? He’s only caused a small amount of collateral damage in his quest to kill horribly evil super powered beings.”

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think The Boys and Berkserk have much in common past 'a guy is mad with another guy'. The tone, the themes and the character relationships are very different

Also agreed regarding Butcher, everyone's like 'no you can't do violence it's toxic' but like what's *your* plan for dealing with the nearly invincible manchild psychopath who's like a couple of years from either declaring himself god-king of the world or just enacting a planetary genocide?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
With Butcher it’s not the violence itself (everyone else is violent too) but that he doesn’t really care about what happens to anyone else in his quest for vengeance. He almost killed a baby in the first season after all

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Butcher’s thing is that he’s an rear end in a top hat, but he’s effective. But he could probably be just as effective whilst being ~80% less of an rear end in a top hat. Whenever Butcher is re-recruiting someone they start by telling him to gently caress off, because they know what he’s dragging them into. Really the only people that Butcher wouldn’t sacrifice for the cause are his wife, and Homelander’s kid.

Also S3 spoilers in S3 at least it felt like TheBoys didn’t actually accomplish anything in the later half of the season. Most of the supes were beaten by SoldierBoy, it arguably would’ve been better to just let him run his course rather than fighting him, and the main difference Butcher and Hughie made was giving themselves brain cancer

I’d also say that Butcher is basically incapable of any kind of meaningful growth. There’s no lessons for him to learn, because he has no interest in learning them and will quickly regress into the same habits and behaviours. S1 Butcher is the same as S2 is the same as S3.

In contrast I think Guts is capable of that growth. Band of the Hawk Guts is different from Black Swordsman Guts is different from up-to-date Guts.

I like both but I don’t think they’re similar really. The main thing they have in common is a “normal” human fighting against super-powered freaks. I might even argue that there’s more in common between Griffith and Butcher, than Guts and Butcher.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
r/place 2023 has a berserk image

This is the 2022 image

temple fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 21, 2023

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
bad

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Elite posted:

Butcher et. al.

I do hope the next season addresses that the good guys definitely chose the greater of two evils for selfish reasons. Y'know, after the writers and actors get a good deal.

Edit

Uh, but back to the Berserk... So with the whole time compression, Silat is definitely the boss of these boarders and going to offer a deal, eh?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2023

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Silat escaped with Rickert, so I doubt any negotiation is going to happen with with the God Hand's posterchild.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had a weird thought but Guts and Ash Williams from Evil Dead share more than a few similarities, albeit with wildly different personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Had a weird thought but Guts and Ash Williams from Evil Dead share more than a few similarities, albeit with wildly different personalities.

There was an interview a long time back where Miura talked about how he saw Evil Dead II after submitting the first chapter of Berserk and he noticed so many similarities between Ash and Guts he was worried he’d get sued