Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I mentioned somewhere way way up thread that my ideal live action One Piece would be directed by Stephen Chow and honestly, this new trailer has that right energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCAHv4qEzmU

Monsters, a pre-One Piece oneshot of Oda's that was retroactively added to One Piece canon, is getting an anime adaptation.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

I mentioned somewhere way way up thread that my ideal live action One Piece would be directed by Stephen Chow and honestly, this new trailer has that right energy.

:yeah:
Having talked about it with One Piece fans RL, something like Kung-Fu Hustle is how we've described the perfect adaptation. This trailer has gone over way better than the teaser did.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

GruntMountain posted:

Seems to be Kuroobi. Arlong busts out of the Baratie at 1:54, so his boys being at the restaurant would track. Given that there's definitely a separate Arlong Park set that we see in the next shot, they may well be introducing Arlong earlier and making him even closer and more personal as a villain to the crew. It may even be that he's at the Baratie to collect Nami.

Zoro fights Mihawk outside a blue-green entrance to the Baratie (2:15). The entrance is undamaged. Arlong kicks Luffy through the very same door, breaking it (1:54). There's every chance that Mihawk just leaves after fighting Zoro, Luffy fights Don Krieg and then, instead of being taken away by (an uncast) Gin, Don Krieg just eats poo poo when Arlong arrives to cement the difference in power.

Honestly having Arlong and crew show up to "collect" Nami from an injured and exhausted post-Krieg fight crew is probably better than Johnny and Yosaku randomly happening to show up and happening to know everything needed to do an exposition dump. My only concerns are:

1. I hope when Arlong shows up Nami goes full "I'm betraying you" on the crew, rather than being kidnapped. It would really hurt the march to Arlong Park if Nami was just asking for Luffy's help all along.
2. How does the crew manage to sail to Nami's village without her (I think Sanji is semi-decent at navigating? Still need someone to know where it is, might be fine).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: Y'all just said that lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LanceKing2200 posted:

Honestly having Arlong and crew show up to "collect" Nami from an injured and exhausted post-Krieg fight crew is probably better than Johnny and Yosaku randomly happening to show up and happening to know everything needed to do an exposition dump. My only concerns are:

1. I hope when Arlong shows up Nami goes full "I'm betraying you" on the crew, rather than being kidnapped. It would really hurt the march to Arlong Park if Nami was just asking for Luffy's help all along.
2. How does the crew manage to sail to Nami's village without her (I think Sanji is semi-decent at navigating? Still need someone to know where it is, might be fine).

They let Zoro try to navigate :getin:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

They let Zoro try to navigate :getin:

We're gonna skip straight to Skypeia

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Wow, I had completely written this off until watching that trailer. I really hope the musical score is at least somewhat faithful to the original though, if it doesn't have throwbacks to some of the themes, I'm gonna be a little sad. They really made the original magical, and it's the main reason why I would recommend watching the anime over starting with the manga.

Theli fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 22, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, by the way, the anime's going to have an ED for the first time in sixteen years for 1072.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I want to like it, but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s just too real and it’s breaking my imaginative immersion.

Also how the gently caress is it not in Japanese, English is such a stupid loving language 4/10

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i like seeing that they’re doing all that wire work in the netflix show. reminds me of RRR. looks better than putting an actor’s face on a cgi body

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The guy playing Roger looks like Daniel Day Lewis as Butcher Bill.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Funky Valentine posted:

He was the main character in Patriot, a very good show on Amazon Prime

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ubiquitus posted:

I want to like it, but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s just too real and it’s breaking my imaginative immersion.

Also how the gently caress is it not in Japanese, English is such a stupid loving language 4/10

There is a Japanese dub using the anime's VA

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That looks really good! Live action Luffy continues to quip and they continue to actually somehow be good and fitting!

The only negative thought I had after that trailer was "well, now I don't need to watch the show because every powerful moment from the story was all right there." They really didn't hold back showing the whole emotional climax in that trailer. But I guess that's fine. If you're a fan you already know what's going to happen and it's hype, if you're not you're not going to figure out what's going on without context.

I do wonder what the heck this looks like to someone who's not a fan already. I noticed there were a few solid shots establishing how cool pirates were at the start of the trailer. "Okay, this is a pirate story and, uh, what the gently caress happened to that clown?"

The anime has the potential to add so much to this. Obviously all the animation references, but personally, the part that was hardest for me to put together and imagine were the Drums of Liberation. I expect this to sound incredible.

Sound- voices and music- are the one place the anime really adds something to the One Piece experience. The manga is honestly well animated enough that I can see the actions, often better than they end up getting animated. But I can't hear the characters voices unless I've seen them in the anime first, and I can't just imagine the music.

Actually hearing the Drums of Liberation along side animation that they'll be going all out on is going to be an experience.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Garp also looks kinda like Russell Crowe as Javert.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Arist posted:

He was the main character in Patriot, a very good show on Amazon Prime

Wait holy poo poo, that IS michael dorman. Good for him, god drat.

Also :hf: buddy, no one has seen Patriot, and that's a drat shame.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They also made an English trailer for G5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5MKJDW6sc

"The world's most ridiculous power" still sounds just as good as it did back then

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

They also made an English trailer for G5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5MKJDW6sc

"The world's most ridiculous power" still sounds just as good as it did back then

yo you got GEAR5?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They also revealed Gear 5 coming to the One Piece TCG, the cards look great. The manga version is gonna be worth so much money lol

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I haven't read the One Piece manga in almost a decade and just came in to the thread to read reactions to the live action trailer, only to find out Luffy went super saiyan?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kiminewt posted:

I haven't read the One Piece manga in almost a decade and just came in to the thread to read reactions to the live action trailer, only to find out Luffy went super saiyan?

Go back and catch up on the manga, it’s good

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
crazy that zeff lost his leg rescuing sanji in the anime, but ate it in the manga.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
one thing i feel like isn't mentioned very often in one piece discussions here and elsewhere is that gear 5 seems to literally change luffy's personality to some extent. i feel like sometimes people project goku onto luffy, but historically while luffy has silly moments in pretty much all of his fights, he's almost never outright declaring that he's having fun (vs arlong, lucci, doflamingo, etc.)

in the battle against kaido, on his way to awakening, luffy starts behaving differently. as the fight goes on he keeps declaring how much fun it is over and over. and this all culminates in what i think to be a fairly notable shift after he awakens where he's pretty blatantly having a good time in the fight. it is, to me, a little unsettling and the new trailer for the anime gear 5 kinda shows that. there's something a bit off about nika, he seems to have a taste for humiliating his opponent too with the way he tosses kaido around a bunch.

kaido did say you awaken when your mind catches up to your fruit, so luffy's growing enjoyment of the fight probably "contributed" to the awakening in a way. i'm excited to learn more about nika and who exactly he is

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd say Luffy was having fun in his very early fights, then got more serious as things went on and he developed his "gears" to be more and more focused on performance in combat. And then Gear 5 kindof represents a shift back to his original creative joy

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Early Luffy was fighting a shark-man and went "what if I made a net with my fingers" and it worked

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

tbp posted:

in the battle against kaido, on his way to awakening, luffy starts behaving differently. as the fight goes on he keeps declaring how much fun it is over and over. and this all culminates in what i think to be a fairly notable shift after he awakens where he's pretty blatantly having a good time in the fight. it is, to me, a little unsettling and the new trailer for the anime gear 5 kinda shows that. there's something a bit off about nika, he seems to have a taste for humiliating his opponent too with the way he tosses kaido around a bunch.

I think one weakness of Nika/Gear 5 is going to be that Luffy gets too carried away doing silly stuff and getting distracted from important things outside the battle. It already happened once when he was clowning around with Lucci and allowed him to land a big hit on Sentomaru.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Teach wins his first bout with Gear 5 Luffy because Luffy took too much time painting a wall like a tunnel to trick Teach into running into it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Gozutrucker69/status/1682703418597560320?t=v7FJFQ7a2n3SeIipa98taA&s=19

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i still have a lot of questions about luffy's fruit
is gear fifth a hybrid form or a full nika transformation? and what would the other form look like?
what if luffy eats a rumble ball?
how much has the fruit's own 'will' affected luffy's personality? did it 'choose' to get eaten by someone with the right temperament, since it's a god fruit that's been evading the government for hundreds of years, and especially zoan fruits have a mind of their own to some degree?
how does gear fifth affect luffy? is it taxing to maintain or just a spot in the regular -> fruit form transformation scale, where other zoan users can pick and maintain a form seemingly effortlessly?
i need answers, oda!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And also what his dick do?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Do people just skip chapter 1?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sounds like something a certain “Craptain” might say

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Theli posted:

Wow, I had completely written this off until watching that trailer. I really hope the musical score is at least somewhat faithful to the original though, if it doesn't have throwbacks to some of the themes, I'm gonna be a little sad. They really made the original magical, and it's the main reason why I would recommend watching the anime over starting with the manga.

The music we've heard seems pretty One Piecey. However, if they don't have Overtaken when they walk to Arlong Park I will riot.

Edit:Now I'm wondering if Oda had a talk with the music director about drums a couple decades ago.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 23, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drakkel posted:

Early Luffy was fighting a shark-man and went "what if I made a net with my fingers" and it worked

Still laugh thinking about Luffy's "strategy" for learning that Arlong can just make new teeth being to put a discarded set in his mouth and bite Arlong with them :allears:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I got back from camp and watched the trailer and I'm happy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was there no anime episode tonight out of curiosity? Last I checked it’s still not up on CR

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There was not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

There was not.

Any particular reason why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

Any particular reason why?

All animation in the world was sucked into next week's summoning of the spirit of Tex Avery.