Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

kiimo posted:

did you go to Lake Bled

I want to go to Lake Bled

Yes, and it's incredible. Rent a car in Slovenia, honestly. It's super gorgeous, very easy to drive in, incredible views, etc. One of my favourite countries and IMO the most underrated place in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah absolutely agreed, Slovenia is hugely underrated. Lake Bled, Lake Bohinj, Skocjan Caves, Ljubljana...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fun fact Tolkien modeled Lake Town in the Hobbit after pile dwellings in Slovenia.

I've never been but that's how I imagine prehistoric Slovenia

edit: to be clear so nobody says actually those pile dwellings aren't exclusive to slovenia they stretched all the way up to switzerland

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 18, 2023

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Good timing, as I'm about to set off to Slovenia, by car. I've been there before but not by car so I guess I'll go for the more obscure lakes that I missed.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If it's still a thing, make sure you get a vignette for your car. I remember renting a car in Croatia and driving into Slovenia and instantly getting a couple hundred euro ticket (don't remember the exact price)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

If it's still a thing, make sure you get a vignette for your car. I remember renting a car in Croatia and driving into Slovenia and instantly getting a couple hundred euro ticket (don't remember the exact price)

Thank you! It's still a thing and I would definitely have driven through without knowing without your post. They sell 7 or 30 day passes for tourists so it's not too bad.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It was pretty easy to order online. As opposed to the Austrian one which seems to require ordering way in advance. I'll just get one at a border gas station like in the old days.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting system, like an annual toll.

And yikes:

The penalty for driving on a motorway without a valid vignette or without paying the toll is a fine of EUR 300 to 800.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Magic City Monday posted:

I think there are ferries every hour or so. But you wouldn't go from Gibraltar. Algeciras is right across the bay with a big port. But you'd probably not want to do Gibraltar and Morocco on the same day.

We went to Ceuta and then crossed over to Morocco from there. I would not recommend Fnideq, but maybe you have to go further into town than we did to get to the nice part. I think Tangier is bigger and is probably a better bet.

webmeister posted:

Yeah agreed, it's like a 90 minute ferry across the strait so spending 3 hours of a packed day on a ferry (probably more like 4 once you factor in waiting, embarking etc) feels like kind of a waste.

Gibraltar is fine for a day trip, I've actually been there twice funnily enough. There's enough to do to keep you interested - get the cable car up the Rock and potentially walk back down. Check out the monkeys. There's the central town area that's kinda interesting, and you can enjoy how it's just this random patch of ultra-British patriotism wedged away in Spain.

There's so much cool poo poo to see and do in Morocco I'd just save it up for another trip to be honest.

Ah, ok. That's a bit far for one day trip from Malaga where we are staying. We are renting a car for one day to check out the wild monkeys mostly.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Looking for Stockholm recommendations for August. We'll be on a modest budget and with a 4 year old. My partner will spend most of the day on a conference so I need to entertain the kid and myself for hours at a time without going bankrupt.

In case I get some time for myself, I enjoy music, history, art in general.

Spritmuseum is pretty fun, https://spritmuseum.se/. But if you want mostly art Nationalmuseum is fantastic. For modern art there are Moderna museet and Liljevalchs I suppose.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

smackfu posted:

Interesting system, like an annual toll.

And yikes:

The penalty for driving on a motorway without a valid vignette or without paying the toll is a fine of EUR 300 to 800.

Yeah that happened to us a few years ago unfortunately. Made me think that it's a borderline scam, what with the vignette not really being advertised or anything. Definitely get it!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah that happened to us a few years ago unfortunately. Made me think that it's a borderline scam, what with the vignette not really being advertised or anything. Definitely get it!

To be fair to the Slovenes, there are several sequential panels highlighting "Toll Road - Vignette" in multiple languages at the highway border crossings. You could get unknowingly screwed if you crossed on a small free road and then got on a highway later though for sure.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

There is/was an actual scam in the Czech Republic where at the border parking lot there would be a vending machine hidden all the way in the back, and in the front there would be a separate business with huge signs "get your vignette here!" where they would get you one for the cheap cheap price of 5x as much as the government price. It's also possible to get one on your phone for the official price, through a webpage which is 5 minutes work.

After some Czech travel youtuber made a vid about this, the Czech government forced at least one of those scam places to shut down but there may be others.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Saladman posted:

To be fair to the Slovenes, there are several sequential panels highlighting "Toll Road - Vignette" in multiple languages at the highway border crossings. You could get unknowingly screwed if you crossed on a small free road and then got on a highway later though for sure.

Yeah it may be better indicated nowadays, this was quite a few years ago (but I'm still a little bitter :( ).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There is/was an actual scam in the Czech Republic where at the border parking lot there would be a vending machine hidden all the way in the back, and in the front there would be a separate business with huge signs "get your vignette here!" where they would get you one for the cheap cheap price of 5x as much as the government price. It's also possible to get one on your phone for the official price, through a webpage which is 5 minutes work.

After some Czech travel youtuber made a vid about this, the Czech government forced at least one of those scam places to shut down but there may be others.

Yeah, it was these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWcc-9KMEc

Their channel is a great watch, mostly focused on tourist scams in Prague but they also delve into the operation of criminal gangs behind the scams and how they operate with tacit acceptance from local authorities. They've also done videos about the bullshit that comes with living in a heavily touristed city, like the endless deluge of love locks (they cut them off and melted them down into a new bell for a historic church), or the infestation of "traditional Czech" food like trdelnik (chimney cake), which is neither traditional nor Czech.

I've actually met them a couple of times and they are legit good dudes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

It probably doesn’t help that “vignette” as a word that has entered English doesn’t have any toll connotations. I guess it came from France directly which makes sense.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah it may be better indicated nowadays, this was quite a few years ago (but I'm still a little bitter :( ).

Sure enough. I was curious so I google streetviewed a couple crossings over time. They always had signs (or at least as of 2011 / 2009) but gradually they got more signage and changed the color from white text on green background to black text on orange, and in a slightly larger printing size.

Could still easily miss it if you entered the country on a small road and then got on a highway later though, just like in Switzerland or Austria or wherever else with vignettes. Apparently Slovenia exclusively uses a digital vignette since 2022, meaning you have to buy it in advance or you'll get fined by automated camera, so I guess it's now "gently caress you if you don't have roaming internet and only find out about it on the spot from the signage" and even if you do know I guess it's a fun 10 minute stop to muck around at the first exit/rest stop with trying to find the right website and figure out how to pay and fill in your details.

smackfu posted:

It probably doesn’t help that “vignette” as a word that has entered English doesn’t have any toll connotations. I guess it came from France directly which makes sense.

Yeah I was also just thinking about that, although I have never seen another word used for the toll road sticker. I think anyone who has driven around Europe much would be familiar with the term regardless of their native language, since a lot of countries still use it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 19, 2023

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Any tips for using Android Auto/Google Assistant to navigate to foreign place names? It's already difficult to get it to recognise the places I want in Switzerland (speaking German), I know my Croatian is not going to be close. Just disconnect the phone and type it in and reconnect it to navigate on the screen?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

You can also search before you get into the car and then use the search history.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
You can also save those locations on your Google Maps connected account and if it doesn't show up in the search history, just type the first letter of the name you saved. I've never had any issues driving around those places with Android Auto.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Has anyone ever been to the Isle of Man? I'm visiting a friend in Manchester some time this fall, and since I've been through a decent chunk of England I wanted to throw in something novel as part of the trip. Looks like I could take a train over to Liverpool and then grab a ferry to the Isle.

How long would be good to spend there? Is it nice? I don't need it to be exciting and full of tourist activities, but enough visitor infrastructure to get around (probably car rental, in this case?) and some scenery to wander would suffice.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't go during Isle of Man TT.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My family is from Isle of Man

Seems boring they made the right decision. Waking Ned Devine had good cinematography though

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

but enough visitor infrastructure to get around

One of the few things I know about Man is they have some very quaint old railways every single tourist takes a trip on.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I visited the Isle of Man a several times when I was a kid (so, many years ago), and I always really liked it.

Traveling around on the dinky little steam trains, and the electric trams was fun, and there are a good few places to visit, like the Laxey Wheel, and the top of Snaefell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxey_Wheel

Near the harbour in Douglas, there is a Camera Obscura, not a destination in itself, but a fun thing to visit if you're going for a walk out that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Camera_Obscura

Castle Rushen is pretty interesting too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rushen

Peel Castle is worth a look too, though it is mostly ruins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_Castle

edit: just look at how little the trains are, and they all have names :3:

edit: just to add a little extra nostalgia, we used to sail there in a small boat, over from Howth in Ireland. It was a 16 hour voyage, and part of the time, we were out of sight of land, so arriving in Douglas felt like we'd basically crossed an ocean to get there :3:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 21, 2023

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Chikimiki posted:

Okay so I just went through this, driving from Austria to Slovenia yesterday. The toll was not as well advertised as the Austrian one, and I can also imagine confusing it with the toll for the Karawankentunnel. I saw one big sign. However there were many places indicated where you could buy the Slovenian vignette, even already in Germany - you can buy it in gas stations even though it's an electronic one. And at the first gas station past the Slovenian border they sell it too with a big sign.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I'm planning on going to Turkey in about a month, but I've got multiple prescription medications that are giving me pause. All the information I've found on embassy websites is to bring only enough for the trip + potential travel delays, keep it in the original packaging, and get a written note from my doctor with Turkish translation for each medication.

Is there someone I can just give a full list of each individual medication to and find out "yeah that's fine" or "next episode on Locked up Abroad"?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

YoursTruly posted:

I'm planning on going to Turkey in about a month, but I've got multiple prescription medications that are giving me pause. All the information I've found on embassy websites is to bring only enough for the trip + potential travel delays, keep it in the original packaging, and get a written note from my doctor with Turkish translation for each medication.

Is there someone I can just give a full list of each individual medication to and find out "yeah that's fine" or "next episode on Locked up Abroad"?

That advice is right, assuming your intended trip is under 30 days. Basically no country will lock you up abroad for < 30 days of prescription medicine. UAE and Japan are the few countries that can famously gently caress with you for prescription meds in your name, but even then I don’t think anyone has been *arrested* for bringing sub-1-month prescription adderall into e.g. Japan, and adderall is illegal there even with a prescription and Japan is super harsh on drug laws.

I think the only prescription drug that commonly gets tourists in trouble is people with prescription weed. Immigrants / students / people on long stays can get in more issues, but it’s not really an issue for common non-weed prescription medicines taken with under 30 days of doses. Every other “horror story" I’ve heard for a foreigner going to Egypt or whatever ends up actually being someone had 400 pills of OxyContin or whatever, which might be their real prescription but is still a pretty big edge case.

Absolutely do not take marijuana though, prescription or not.

I’ve travelled with Ritalin across many dozens of countries for years fwiw so I do pay attention to the general rules. I’d probably leave it at home if for some stupid reason I ever went to like, DPRK.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 22, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Looking for London recommendations for cheap food. I'm Australian and the exchange rate is absolutely kicking my arse :pwn:

Also anything cheap or cool in London to do you might want to share.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Chewbecca posted:

Looking for London recommendations for cheap food. I'm Australian and the exchange rate is absolutely kicking my arse :pwn:

Where abouts are you staying? London is a big place so cheap food might not be convenient food...

The Wellcome Collection is free and cool.
The Hunterian is back open, also free.
Going up Primrose Hill will give you great views. Ally Pally is also good for views if you're further North.
Macbeth is on at the Globe, and you can get cheap tickets if you don't mind standing. It's a classic place to visit for a reason.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it’s also Proms season so you can cheap tickets for some of the best classical musicians on the planet if you don’t mind a bit of queueing

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wallace Collection is free and has a cool collection of armour, weapons, art and furniture

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Bollock Monkey posted:

Where abouts are you staying? London is a big place so cheap food might not be convenient food...

The Wellcome Collection is free and cool.
The Hunterian is back open, also free.
Going up Primrose Hill will give you great views. Ally Pally is also good for views if you're further North.
Macbeth is on at the Globe, and you can get cheap tickets if you don't mind standing. It's a classic place to visit for a reason.

Thank you!

We are in Knightsbridge so it's expensive af. Thanks for the recommendations!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you’re not talking about food but just cheap attractions, you kind of have to mention that admission to the British Museum is free.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Generally all museums are free.
Go to Greenwich Naval Museuman and have a look at the blood stained musket hole where Lord Nelson got shot (plus Greenwich Observator is both interesting and offers good views)
Go to the Science Museum as the only place in the world you can simultaneously be in the same room as the oldest surviving steam train and an Apollo command module.
You can book a free ticket for the Sky Garden if you want a view over London, instead of paying to go up the Shard
Food - I would suggest Knightsbridge/Kenningston/Chelsea is probably the worst place to go looking for cheap food as it's where all the rich people live.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

I spent 5 days in London a couple weeks ago and stayed at Imperial College which is in South Kensington, right next to Knightsbridge.

I did Wimbledon (which is over), the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum, and Tate Modern. The museums are all free and worth checking out, depending on your interests. I also enjoyed visiting Harrod’s even though I didn’t buy anything.

For cheaper food, the area around the South Kensington tube station has some decent options. The pub at Imperial College is open to the public and pretty affordable.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Try some of these?
https://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink/londons-best-cheap-eats

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Generally all museums are free.
Go to Greenwich Naval Museuman and have a look at the blood stained musket hole where Lord Nelson got shot (plus Greenwich Observator is both interesting and offers good views)

Just to point out, Greenwich Observatory is not one of the free ones. £18

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

Has anyone ever been to the Isle of Man? I'm visiting a friend in Manchester some time this fall, and since I've been through a decent chunk of England I wanted to throw in something novel as part of the trip. Looks like I could take a train over to Liverpool and then grab a ferry to the Isle.

How long would be good to spend there? Is it nice? I don't need it to be exciting and full of tourist activities, but enough visitor infrastructure to get around (probably car rental, in this case?) and some scenery to wander would suffice.

Have you considered Scotland, the better England

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
London food is hit and miss. Yeah it’s immigrant central but some of it is really meh.

Recommend hawksmoor in the original branch in east London for the Sunday roast, their gravy is top notch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hawksmoor is the opposite of cheap food, though. Sunday roast starts at 39 pounds per person. Alcoholic drinks are near 20 pounds each.

Their sticky toffee pudding is one of the best desserts I’ve ever tasted though. Difficult to imagine something that’s swimming in toffee yet not sickeningly sweet.