Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is it Hiro Mashima (the Fairy Tail guy)? I think his crazy drawing two weeklies while writing a third workload came up in some thread a while ago. The fact that he can do that in four days each week is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

Is it Hiro Mashima (the Fairy Tail guy)? I think his crazy drawing two weeklies while writing a third workload came up in some thread a while ago. The fact that he can do that in four days each week is insane.

I thought he was just tackling Eden’s Zero these days while somebody else handled the Fairy Tail sequel (and apparently his next project after the former is not another manga but rather an original anime we so far know nothing about)?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

I thought he was just tackling Eden’s Zero these days while somebody else handled the Fairy Tail sequel (and apparently his next project after the former is not another manga but rather an original anime we so far know nothing about)?

Apparently he's doing the layout + story for 100 Years Quest. So he's still involved.

quote:

by Hiro Mashima (Author), Atsuo Ueda (Illustrator)

quote:

A wizard's job is never done! Get fired up for the official sequel to Fairy Tail, with story and layouts by original creator Hiro Mashima himself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Apparently he's doing the layout + story for 100 Years Quest. So he's still involved.

Speaking of, has there been any further news on the anime adaptation of 100 Years Quest? I seem to remember one getting announced like a year or two ago but nothing’s come of it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep meaning to read the Fairy Tail volumes I bought on Humble but trying to download them on my tablet via Chrome doesn't work for some reason.

Also I'm not really sure what format I should be downloading them as.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
New MarriageToxin extra chapter with important reminder that Hamster Girl is the best.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

New MarriageToxin extra chapter with important reminder that Hamster Girl is the best.

:haibrow:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MarriageToxin: stealth prequel to Metal Gear?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Last few chapters of Choujin X have been really good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that boy certainly went through some poo poo during the time skip

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RatHat posted:

Last few chapters of Choujin X have been really good

I think it's my favorite currently running manga.

I also read uh... How to heal from schizophrenia which was April 2023's bronze award. Serious Parasyte inspiration to it and it ends at a very weird spot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The newest chapter of Gachiakuta showing that gun>magical garbage(literally in this case)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

The newest chapter of Gachiakuta showing that gun>magical garbage(literally in this case)

Brought To You By posted:

Whole thing reads to me like Scissor Chick was always like this but needs the right context before she punches the "I win" button and stops loving around playing "fair" with her opponents. Her shoes shouldn't match, but she might also be the person who shot Jabber a couple chapters ago meaning when she pulls her piece she enters into a whole different mindset and she's now going about cleaning up the opposition.
Oh man :allears: She didn't just shoot him, she mag dumped his rear end and I honestly think she wasn't sure he'd survive until after despite the no killing rule.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Lt. Lizard posted:

Meowl Dorado is an excellent name for a cat cafe, props to the writer for that pun

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

While incredibly cute, I just feel it reinforces the idea that Kinosaki will end up with Gero.

Maybe the Mangaka will go the “we can’t study” route and make a different ending for every possible candidate.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

RatHat posted:

What happens if someone has a gun as their Jinki?Maybe that's the villain's boss power. I liked that scissor girl changed her look to signify her personality/mode switch

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sachi's Records continue to own. Love the running gag of someone not believing in god right before he pops out to smooth things over.

Darth TNT posted:

While incredibly cute, I just feel it reinforces the idea that Kinosaki will end up with Gero.

Maybe the Mangaka will go the “we can’t study” route and make a different ending for every possible candidate.

Gero and Kinosaki ending up together in the end is cool. I can't remember if Jump ever had a manga where two male main characters ever became an actual couple.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
On the Viz site, there are two chapters of a series called Wild Strawberry, and it's really good so far (though be aware that it has some Junji Ito-style gross visuals.) The series kind of has Fire Punch/Chainsaw Man vibes.

It's set in modern Tokyo in an age where people are being killed off by "Jinka" flowers that grow inside their bodies, some of them turning into monsters in the process. The protag's sister has some degree of control over her Jinka, so he has to try and hide her and keep her safe because she'll be executed if anyone finds out.

Chapter 1 link - https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/wild-strawberry-chapter-1/chapter/39763?action=read

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 21, 2023

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Just so people know on Chapter 2 of Wild Strawberry there are two pages that are pure black on purpose; I thought there was an issue reading it on my phone until I came back to read it on PC. I'm really liking it some far and the monster designs are fantastic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

Just so people know on Chapter 2 of Wild Strawberry there are two pages that are pure black on purpose; I thought there was an issue reading it on my phone until I came back to read it on PC. I'm really liking it some far and the monster designs are fantastic.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a bad connection where J am so I thought it was me.

Chapter 2 definitely drew my attention. It’s simultaneously very pretty and quite disgusting, if a bit hard to parse.

Edit: guess we’re about to find out how Filly is doing. :ohdear:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 21, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I read through Jigokuraku this week, and really enjoyed it. However, one thing seemed kind of weird to me. What was with the like 3 pages where Jikka asks crime bros to take out most of the remaining Asaemon? It felt like it was signalling him as the classic fake-out final boss on the boat or similar, but he just plays completely nice after that and doesn't even really have any internal dialogue indicating evil intentions or anything after that chapter. This is also introduced fairly late so I'm not sure it being cut for time because the author had to wrap up makes a ton of sense to me. He is surely shown as generally self-interested to the end, but he doesn't hesitate to play nice and arrange things ideally for two of his targets (Shion/Sagiri) at the end either. Sagiri even returns to the Asaemon clan for a while before the epilogue unlike Shion who I guess could be argued Jikka saw would be a non-factor anyway.

Given his bullshit superpower I suppose you could argue he foresaw that his little plots were no longer necessary, as well as his prompt to the brothers being purely opportunistic and not something high priority enough for him to follow up on with backup plans or the like, and I can buy that. But from a storytelling perspective, it was really weird to read the final chapters and realizing the story never really acknowledges it happened much less pick it back up, or really showing Jikka being a cold bastard at all. The closest he gets to comeuppance is not getting his own part in the epilogue lol.

Pretty minor thing though, cute married couple epilogue scenes smooth over a lot of minor plot weirdness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wild Strawberry is interesting but I couldn't also help noticing how it was similar to Chainsaw Man.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Wild Strawberry is interesting but I couldn't also help noticing how it was similar to Chainsaw Man.

Fujimoto's a massive influence on the new generation of Jump. I wouldn't be shocked if he was more referenced than Demon Slayer when it came to manga submissions. Just seems like an "artist's artist" kind of thing, where he's got things that appeal even more to fellow manga writers than to average fans.

(I remember Matsui's complaints when judging a recent Jump one-shot competition about how many Look Back knockoffs there were)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah theres beenseveral acknowldgements of chainsawmans influence on the new artists.
I remember a panel of Fabricant 100 was explicitly a reference to it, and ive seen an increase in characters that are superficially petty

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Insurrectionist posted:

I read through Jigokuraku this week, and really enjoyed it. However, one thing seemed kind of weird to me. What was with the like 3 pages where Jikka asks crime bros to take out most of the remaining Asaemon? It felt like it was signalling him as the classic fake-out final boss on the boat or similar, but he just plays completely nice after that and doesn't even really have any internal dialogue indicating evil intentions or anything after that chapter. This is also introduced fairly late so I'm not sure it being cut for time because the author had to wrap up makes a ton of sense to me. He is surely shown as generally self-interested to the end, but he doesn't hesitate to play nice and arrange things ideally for two of his targets (Shion/Sagiri) at the end either. Sagiri even returns to the Asaemon clan for a while before the epilogue unlike Shion who I guess could be argued Jikka saw would be a non-factor anyway.

Given his bullshit superpower I suppose you could argue he foresaw that his little plots were no longer necessary, as well as his prompt to the brothers being purely opportunistic and not something high priority enough for him to follow up on with backup plans or the like, and I can buy that. But from a storytelling perspective, it was really weird to read the final chapters and realizing the story never really acknowledges it happened much less pick it back up, or really showing Jikka being a cold bastard at all. The closest he gets to comeuppance is not getting his own part in the epilogue lol.

Pretty minor thing though, cute married couple epilogue scenes smooth over a lot of minor plot weirdness.

I read through it a few months ago and my read on it is he just just wanted to ensure he became the head and once that was guaranteed he wouldnt need sagiri killed for example but it could also just be a dropped plot thread too

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jerkface posted:

I read through it a few months ago and my read on it is he just just wanted to ensure he became the head and once that was guaranteed he wouldnt need sagiri killed for example but it could also just be a dropped plot thread too

I considered that but, in what world would Sagiri be next in line as the head over him? Everything we know about the setting and the Asaemon clan indicated there was no chance a woman could become the head at all. And since Sagiri is additionally his junior and second to him in skill, the only thing she would really have to her advantage is not being a lazy rear end in a top hat - which is compelling but hardly likely to convince whoever decides the successor. Shion I could see and obviously Shugen, but there doesn't seem to be any real reason to worry about her WRT his rise to power, especially since she isn't antagonistic towards him at all either.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fabricant 100 is clearly heading into its ending arc, Akane-Banashi made me cry.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Akane has been on fire the last couple weeks.

HOLY gently caress IT'S DAD

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Alacron posted:

Akane has been on fire the last couple weeks.

HOLY gently caress IT'S DAD

Absolutely. What a beautiful chapter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Fabricant 100 is clearly heading into its ending arc.

Seems that Do retry is also facing the axe.
Been a while aince we got a new member of the U19 club.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Fabricant 100 is clearly heading into its ending arc, Akane-Banashi made me cry.

Yeah, I teared up at the end. Perfect timing on that.

And agreed with Fabricant and Do Retry. Things seem to be heading towards the end for both.

Witch Watch: ngl, I thought the secret to Flash Witch's technique was gonna be her braces

Red Cat Ramen: this has been very cute so far! For such a silly premise, there's a real thoughtfulness and sincerity that I'm really enjoying

Sakamoto Days: uh oh

Blue Box: one day Taiki, one day

Ichinose Family: I literally had to put my tablet down and sigh when they revealed they were just living together. They could have been an actual family! It didn't need to be that complicated!

Tenmaku Cinema: still really enjoying this. It's nice that none of the side characters have been useless

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Goosebump Girlfriend: Aww such a cute high-school romcon, please ignore everything about the dislocated finger... :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Undead unluck: has been so good. This high school arc is going to be Batshit crazy. Gotta point out Billy is holding a history book despite being blind.
lol at Fuuko still stringing along Feng

Fabricant: I hope it sticks the landing. Even if I didn’t really feel these two sword siblings I have genuinely enjoyed Fabricant.

Robocogpt: lol

Well, that sounds like a humorous and imaginative concept! It's fascinating to think about a joke turning into a sentient dating game featuring a character like "RobocoGPT." The blending of technology and humor could lead to some entertaining and unexpected scenarios in the dating game setting. However, it's important to remember that as an AI language model, I don't have personal experiences or emotions, so it's all in the realm of creativity and fun.
Robocogpt easily beats ChatGPT.

Sakamoto: Oh yeah, this should be good. But what was disguise guy doing with his gun? Saluting?

MMA: I guess this was going the way I expected, though I still expect grandpa to show up to break up the fight. Big bro is a menace though.

Nue: meh, bad arc.

Witch watch: Umm, a lot of those slashes were diagonal. But I guess she did that by tilting her head? Cool ending though. Kinda cute as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did have a big laugh at the end of this week's Undead Unluck. Has there been any word on when the anime for that is supposed to start? Kaiju No. 8 is also supposed to be getting one but I haven't heard anything else about that either.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The UU anime is sometime in October, appropriately enough.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Ichinose Family:...It didn't need to be that complicated!

This applies pretty well to the series as a whole.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ragna Crimson reminding me that I hate dragons and they all need to just die.
Revealing these two high level dragons in the end is going to make things interesting down the line. Machine Dragon is basically still claiming he's stronger than Kamui, but I'm uncertain if any of them were aware of Lightning God Kamui's final transformation before he died. Ragna also doesn't have the complete silver comet anymore so he's not at his absolute peak either. Next war is shaping up to be a big one.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: I continue to like Chinatsu and the weird vehicular Mad-Maxy battles that seem to be the theme of this arc. All in all nice, but a pretty unsurprising chapter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: I continue to like Chinatsu and the weird vehicular Mad-Maxy battles that seem to be the theme of this arc. All in all nice, but a pretty unsurprising chapter.

Umm, it’s not just me who thinks this wind user is some kind of jab to Ayakashi Triangle?

Also, these grass cutter life guys crack me up. Safety tape laced with metal. God, I love this crazy rear end manga.

Edit: and I’ve said it before, but I truly appreciate how this manga handles women. Chinatsu is doing everything every male fighter does, including getting cut up, but it’s respectfully handled and at no point is she sexualized even when her entire shirt is shredded. They focus on her bleeding and not her boobs. For what is sort of a harem manga I’m just amazed and I love it.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

Umm, it’s not just me who thinks this wind user is some kind of jab to Ayakashi Triangle?

Way too early to tell, but I don't think so, other than him and Matsuri sharing the fan in their hair motif.

But now I want to see MarriageToxin's mangaka do their take on AT because based on Kinosaki and Gero's sister alone they'd handle the LGBTQ+ themes in AT a thousand times better.

quote:

Edit: and I’ve said it before, but I truly appreciate how this manga handles women. Chinatsu is doing everything every male fighter does, including getting cut up, but it’s respectfully handled and at no point is she sexualized even when her entire shirt is shredded. They focus on her bleeding and not her boobs. For what is sort of a harem manga I’m just amazed and I love it.

"She's basically a work of art. WAIT NO DON'T LOOK NO FALLING IN LOVE!!!"

Chinatsu is a classic shonen protag and Erina is her plucky kid sidekick, and the combination has a strong chance of overtaking Hamster Girl for the #2 spot for me at this rate