Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Depressed? But it has a Ninja cat driving a Italian pervert A.I Motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dilettante. posted:

Depressed? But it has a Ninja cat driving a Italian pervert A.I Motorcycle.

This is my whole head when watching this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EVIL Gibson posted:

This is my whole head when watching this.

Lol gently caress yeah

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
From, "I'm Not Even an NPC in This Otome Game"

Yuuka 100% gets it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Archdemon's Dilemma: How To Love Your Elf Bride

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

If Only Yuko Would Fight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So this is a spoiler for the latest Dandadan

I love this series so much

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is the right screenshot for this week's Dandadan, but it was such a good chapter that you realistically could have posted drat near anything from it. I'm in awe of this loving comic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I love how that alien is standing there like “wtf is wrong with this planet? Where the hell did this dope come from?”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

King of Solomon posted:

This is the right screenshot for this week's Dandadan, but it was such a good chapter that you realistically could have posted drat near anything from it. I'm in awe of this loving comic.
honestly as gorgeous as that two-pager is it's really inconsequential because the real payoff is the entire rest of the chapter leading up to that shot. it's a cool shot that is ultimately not very meaningful without seeing all the poo poo that happened right before it

still rules though, read dandadan

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Invictus posted:

honestly as gorgeous as that two-pager is it's really inconsequential because the real payoff is the entire rest of the chapter leading up to that shot. it's a cool shot that is ultimately not very meaningful without seeing all the poo poo that happened right before it

Agreed on all points, but it IS a very cool panel, which is why it's the one that makes sense here.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it's great because of three things

1. not spoiling anything while being cool as hell edit: oh it was spoiled but context is lost on me even though I read the last chapter
  2. it's fookin' cool as hell
  3. dandadan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://mangadex.org/title/a220cb1c...onna-ni-okashii

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
hooting and hollering over 100GF

or

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It isn't the main character that carries the story. But these three.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

This is another story with a nigh-invincible main character. What I don't understand is: why is the main character so much more powerful than the evil mages who perform human sacrifices and other horrible experiments? Presumably, they do these things to increase their own magic power, so why does the main character get to be more powerful without sacrificing anything or doing anything morally ambiguous?

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 25, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

This is another story with a nigh-invincible main character. What I don't understand is: why is the main character so much more powerful than the evil mages who perform human sacrifices and other horrible experiments? Presumably, they do these things to increase their own magic power, so why does the main character get to be more powerful without sacrificing anything or doing anything morally ambiguous?

Saitama did 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10K run every day for a year and a half, never turned on the heater or AC and lost his hair in the process. What more do you want from a guy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nebrilos posted:

It's just a standard trope of isekai/fantasy manga to have a protagonist who is ridiculously powerful/talented/skilled automatically without having to do anything special to actually achieve that power; they're either born with it or they're given that power by a god or something. There are dozens and dozens of titles along these lines that frequently literally have "cheat" in the very title of the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in this case the story starts off with following a guy who's already an established and extremely powerful sorcerer, it's not like he was just thrown into the situation with no abilities beforehand, he's a notorious reclusive wizard amongst a small crew of other incredibly powerful wizards.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The manga starts with him as an established powerful sorcerer yes, but his backstory is that he was a slave used for magical experiments who suddenly catapulted up in power after developing one technique. So I do still think it counts as “guy who’s way more powerful than everyone else just because”. Yeah that magic stealing technique is the reason he’s so much more powerful than everyone else without needing the human sacrifices they all do, but it’s kind of a bullshit reason since nobody else can do what he does.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Elite posted:

The manga starts with him as an established powerful sorcerer yes, but his backstory is that he was a slave used for magical experiments who suddenly catapulted up in power after developing one technique. So I do still think it counts as “guy who’s way more powerful than everyone else just because”. Yeah that magic stealing technique is the reason he’s so much more powerful than everyone else without needing the human sacrifices they all do, but it’s kind of a bullshit reason since nobody else can do what he does.

Makes a bit of sense if the knowledge of how he got the cheat was lost due to him killing the people who experimented on him.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nebrilos posted:

Medalist is cute, but it's kind of uncomfortable just how young these ice skaters are. Is it like this in real life? Don't they ever get a chance to just be children? Is doing multiple spins in the air and landing on one skate not dangerous for young children? Also, I feel bad because I want them all to win and only one of them can.

Felt like responding to this again.

(Minor spoilers for raws beyond translated material)

It looks like it might get brought up and become a topic of discussion since sacrifice for excellence became a plot point as well as differing training regimes and mindsets based on these philosophies.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

doomrider7 posted:

Felt like responding to this again.

(Minor spoilers for raws beyond translated material)

It looks like it might get brought up and become a topic of discussion since sacrifice for excellence became a plot point as well as differing training regimes and mindsets based on these philosophies.

It's 100% like this in real life for gymnasts and most power sports. Neuromuscular contractile speed is one of the first atheletic characteristics to fall off and one of the least trainable, which means to create the best possible flipping, spinning, jumping athlete they need to start as early as possible to aquire the technical ability while they still have acceleration to pull off the motions. Small body size also lowers the forces needed for spins. And they absolutely do absolutely mess themselves up. Max impulse jumping and land involves pretty serious forces, waaaay more than weight lifting.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

awkward_turtle posted:

It's 100% like this in real life for gymnasts and most power sports. Neuromuscular contractile speed is one of the first atheletic characteristics to fall off and one of the least trainable, which means to create the best possible flipping, spinning, jumping athlete they need to start as early as possible to aquire the technical ability while they still have acceleration to pull off the motions. Small body size also lowers the forces needed for spins. And they absolutely do absolutely mess themselves up. Max impulse jumping and land involves pretty serious forces, waaaay more than weight lifting.

Oh for sure. It's hard to explain it since the relevant chapters are in Japanese and can only be found "offsite". That and obviously spoilers.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The virgin kaiju vs the chad mech

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kindergarten Wars

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Brought To You By posted:

It isn't the main character that carries the story. But these three.
I just binged my way through it to get to this panel, and these three together are a force to be reconned with.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Pretty sure that's an entire plot point because wasn't the original reason she decided to destroy the world was because her original obsession was the crown prince and after the Star Maiden stole his heart she snapped?

Nobody loved her and it pretty much broke her down leading her to become needy and clingy towards her fiance. When things soured and he started to more overtly dislike and hate her, she snapped and decided to the burn the mothafucka down. I'm reading it over again and MAN is she equal parts terrible and awesome and there are some parts that definitely show that she's not ALL bad and Emi's influence did have a subtle effect on her.

Edit: Forgot to add some panels.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 26, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

(A Galaxy Next Door)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

lmao

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder how they’ll do that scene in the anime

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

With lots of exaggerated BOING sound effects, I hope :laugh:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Very true.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Darth TNT posted:

Very true.

True. Also, did you see how loving hard he pissed leaving those beta level 10 cucks in the dust?!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

True. Also, did you see how loving hard he pissed leaving those beta level 10 cucks in the dust?!

The fact that Under Ninja makes this a legitimate technique and I'm not questioning it says a lot about how good this series is.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
The first chapter of the new volume had so many great pictures, but I chose this because I wanted whoever had "Reference Moomins" on their bingo board for this manga to be able to collect.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

The first chapter of the new volume had so many great pictures, but I chose this because I wanted whoever had "Reference Moomins" on their bingo board for this manga to be able to collect.

Japan loving loves moomins. It's always a delight when a character is compared to Snufkin.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

(An Observation Record of my Fiancée - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nebrilos posted:

(An Observation Record of my Fiancée - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess)

I really enjoyed that series but keep forgetting to start the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
literally same. the original series is excellent, I can only guess the sequel is more of the same.