Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Apollo (50-60 pound dog) has never swallowed a squeaky toy, and I have never had problems with them with past dogs (two black labs, st bernard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ah Jesus that sucks. I've been lucky that I haven't had a dog do that but I'll be careful when I eventually get a puppy.

I'm on a waitlist from a good breeder for an Akita puppy after I had to put my sweet Snowbell dog down just a bit short of 12 years old since she had lymphoma. Did all I could and got an overall lovely 6 more months with her before in the last few days she just went downhill real fast and couldn't manage to walk out the door before needing to lay down . I still can't believe some fool gave her to a shelter.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Whomever decided dogs get to die hosed up.
It's super hosed up.
gently caress cancer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Raised by Wolves?

Please say yes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

AlexDeGruven posted:

Raised by Wolves?

Please say yes.

No, it's from the Golden Age of Detection.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

No, it's from the Golden Age of Detection.

Fair enough. Not enough fans of that show.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

There are lots of places to register microchips and it doesn't really matter which you use. They mostly differ in what they provide in addition to just registering your info. My first dog was with homeagain (you don't have to keep paying their annual fee, it still works without it they just won't do their email blast if the pet gets lost), my second was registered with some free microchip registry, and my youngest was registered with AKC reunite because that's what her breeder used. I never have needed to use any of them but I check them all occasionally and they've always directed to my info when searched. I like the AKC one because her breeder is a permanent additional contact on her microchip just in case anything ever happens. I know if something happens to me her breeder will also be contacted if she ends up in a shelter and her breeder would move heaven and earth to get her back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Raised by Wolves?

Please say yes.

That show was completely unhinged and nuts, I loved it a lot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That show was completely unhinged and nuts, I loved it a lot.

I was really disappointed it got cancelled after that absolutely bonkers season finale.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Fair enough. Not enough fans of that show.

Praise Sol.

It's a good dog name either way!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Any advice on what the best thing is to do when some dipshit sets off an M-80 and scares the poo poo out of my dog? I'm talking about in the immediate moment, not about desensitization training. Petting or other "comfort" would just reinforce his fear, right? I've tried a thundershirt, but it just seems to paralyze him, basically: he just stands in place until I take it off him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't agree about the comforting thing, I have a little guy who has been utterly terrified of thunder and fireworks for 13 solid years now and the couple of spans where I tried simply ignoring it definitely just made it worse for him. Comforting them when they're obviously afraid is fine and humane, the way you'd comfort a crying baby. I guess in theory this could "reinforce the behavior" but the behavior is a manifestation of the dog's emotional state, it's not a trick he learned to make you pet him. My old dude will actually want me to pick him up and hold him on my lap during fireworks or a thunderstorm but he hates being picked up under any other circumstances.

The way you do it matters I think, it's better to be reassuring and calm in the way you handle them rather than like, making sad noises yourself as some people are inclined to do. If you can interact with him and keep his attention even with simple poo poo like walking with you inside your home or any kind of play that helps a lot.

I don't have any opinion about Thundershirt, I've never used it before.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any advice on what the best thing is to do when some dipshit sets off an M-80 and scares the poo poo out of my dog? I'm talking about in the immediate moment, not about desensitization training. Petting or other "comfort" would just reinforce his fear, right? I've tried a thundershirt, but it just seems to paralyze him, basically: he just stands in place until I take it off him.

You really can't actually reinforce fear, it's totally fine to comfort him however he needs. With my noise-phobic dog we'd go snuggle on my bed with lots of fans and white noise going until he felt better. If he's not too scared to take treats you can get him a special chew or have a treat party whenever the big scary noise happens but if he's not interested in food in the moment just support him however he feels most comfortable.

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/comfort-your-dog/

https://fearfuldogs.com/can-you-reinforce-fear/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Comfort and avoid the situation.
An m80 is an abnormal (I hope) enough occurrence that even if you reinforced a fear of firecrackers who cares? You should be removing such assholes from your life

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all.

HootTheOwl posted:

Comfort and avoid the situation.
An m80 is an abnormal (I hope) enough occurrence that even if you reinforced a fear of firecrackers who cares? You should be removing such assholes from your life

Sadly, the two months surrounding July 4th feature intermittent explosions in my neighborhood. I take my dog to the kennel for the actual night of the 4th, but there's not much I can do about the other nights. It pisses me off, but there's not really anything I can do about it. There's probably a couple hundred houses close enough to us that if someone set off a firework, it'd trigger my dog's anxiety. And, y'know, wake me up from sleeping, but that's secondary.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Googling "bird junco," the proper bird is this -->

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

iris crumbled up and ate about 30% of a tennis ball a week ago, she passed fragments in her poop over the past few days but today at 5am vomited up a big chunk. i hope that's the last of it, i've been sick with worry waiting for complications. she vomited again immediately after her breakfast today, but her appetite is still ok (she ate the vomit :gonk:) so i'm hoping it was just residual stomach irritation. right now she seems fine, we went for a walk and she chased rabbits. i really cannot afford surgery right now. no more tennis balls for her.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 24, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket was a very good boy this weekend!
The board n train said they focused on something called "self soothing" and one of those prong collars because he's both incredibly anxious and stubborn.

We had some contractors over yesterday and after a few barks when they came over I got him to calm down and he was just lying by me the whole time they were here.
And he let this woman who's been dying to pet him do so this morning without too much fuss.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

a strange fowl posted:

no more tennis balls for her.

Chuck-It balls are the only thing Pongo can’t destroy. Regular tennis balls? Destroyed in minutes. Chuck-it? Chew away, you can’t hurt that thing.

They do *eventually* start to come apart but you’ll see what shape it’s in and be able to toss it well before pieces start to come off.

Just don’t get them from Amazon, I’ve received a counterfeit 4-pack before due to their binning policy.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

devmd01 posted:

Chuck-It balls are the only thing Pongo can’t destroy. Regular tennis balls? Destroyed in minutes. Chuck-it? Chew away, you can’t hurt that thing.

They do *eventually* start to come apart but you’ll see what shape it’s in and be able to toss it well before pieces start to come off.

Just don’t get them from Amazon, I’ve received a counterfeit 4-pack before due to their binning policy.
iris has jaws like a drat hyaena. she's only just started eating her toys, once she shreds them, so i'm having to watch her very closely. the amount of rubber that's come out of her now looks more or less equal to the amount that went in, so i hope this ordeal is over.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

a strange fowl posted:

iris crumbled up and ate about 30% of a tennis ball a week ago, she passed fragments in her poop over the past few days but today at 5am vomited up a big chunk. i hope that's the last of it, i've been sick with worry waiting for complications. she vomited again immediately after her breakfast today, but her appetite is still ok (she ate the vomit :gonk:) so i'm hoping it was just residual stomach irritation. right now she seems fine, we went for a walk and she chased rabbits. i really cannot afford surgery right now. no more tennis balls for her.

My hound did this when she was a puppy, never had any adverse effects beyond what you’ve experienced. As long as food keeps going in and coming out the other end, she’ll be fine. And it sounds like all the big, potentially obstructive piece have been expelled. Just keep keeping an eye on things, and if they keep vomiting or stop pooping then it’s vet time. If not it’s just a fun puppy story.

a strange fowl posted:

iris has jaws like a drat hyaena. she's only just started eating her toys, once she shreds them, so i'm having to watch her very closely. the amount of rubber that's come out of her now looks more or less equal to the amount that went in, so i hope this ordeal is over.

My hound is a super chewer too,she’s gone through lots of Kong products and tough things. She just needs things taken away if she decides to destroy it.

Oddly enough, she’s named after a hyena that was in one of the clans my wife studied for her PhD. We chose the name because of her chewing tendencies, colours, and mischievous nature.

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 24, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket was a very good boy this weekend!
The board n train said they focused on something called "self soothing" and one of those prong collars because he's both incredibly anxious and stubborn.

This would be such a huge red flag for me. I'm not an expert trainer, I'm just some guy on the internet but I don't think those words go together at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flesh Forge posted:

This would be such a huge red flag for me. I'm not an expert trainer, I'm just some guy on the internet but I don't think those words go together at all.

He doesn't mind it so much as he hates the transitional leash, which is like a gentle leader slip collar thing.
I didn't know they were going to use either until e went to pick him up and they were explaining what they did that week

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That somebody would just do that without talking to you about it first feels like an even bigger red flag :shrug:
I know you love your dog but man I would flip if I were in your shoes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Welp, daycare just called and Pickwick is suspended from daycare for getting into it with some other dogs. They're willing try him again after he gets neutered which should be in a few weeks. He's so sweet with people and most other dogs-I've never seen him be aggressive when he's played with other dogs. Occasionally if we see another dog on a walk he will bark at them, hair stands up on his shoulders, but tail is usually wagging. I've always taken that as a 'Hey can I play with you' kind of bark, but maybe I've misread it.

The villain looking extremely ferocious last night:

Any tips or suggestions are welcomed!

E: talked to the day care people when I picked him up and apparently he mostly just gets too amped up when he's playing and starts playing way too rough. Apparently the other (bigger) dog had to get stiches. Didn't think my sweet boy had that in him :( It makes me feel a bit better that he's not getting snappy or attacking other dogs, but still definitely an issue that needs work.

Made an appointment to get him neutered on Friday. The woman at the vet mentioned some kind of shirt/vest instead of a cone-does that ring a bell with anyone?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 24, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis tolerated the shirt much better than the cone. It's basically just a sweater that wraps around their body and protects the injury. If he's determined to get after it, then the cone might still be necessary, but he really didn't have any concerns about the area anyway, so it was more of an insurance policy for when we couldn't be watching him directly for the first several days.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If you have a dog door, do you let your dogs have access to the outdoors while you're at work? I've worked from home for the entire time I've had my little Havanese, but I'm starting a new job this week and trying to figure out what to do with her during the day. She usually has free reign of the house and backyard if she wants it, but I'm worried about letting her go outside while I'm gone during the day. It can get up to 105F, and she doesn't have much of a brain. I'd rather deal with a few potential accidents than injury/death.

Any other tips for making the transition? She is a velcro dog, so I'm sure it will be difficult.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you're worried just close it.

How old is the dog? Older dogs might also just allow guests over through the door. Like squirrels.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I don't let my dog have in-out privileges when I'm gone. I'll either shut her inside or outside depending on how long I'll be gone and the weather. I'm paranoid about her tracking or dragging something inside and having a party with it for hours.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I leave the dog flap open when I'm out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mine have full access to outdoors but I'm home 98% of the time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I let my dog go outside. I did have to put some work into keeping skunks out of my yard, but otherwise it hasn't caused any problems. If you're worried about the heat for a less-wise dog, make sure there's shade and water available in the yard as well as inside the house.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

just booked iris in to get spayed and i think i am actually going to cry irl :qq: i've never had a female dog before so this is the first time i've had to do this. i desperately want to see more baby irises in the world, but there seem to be more cattledogs in my local pound every day and i know this is the ethical thing to do.

e: $600! holy poo poo no wonder there are so many dogs in the pound

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 25, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're in any kind of large-ish city there's generally a much cheaper alternative for spay/neuter e.g. SNAP (Spay Neuter Assistance Program)
https://snapus.org/locations/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lester Shy posted:

If you have a dog door, do you let your dogs have access to the outdoors while you're at work? I've worked from home for the entire time I've had my little Havanese, but I'm starting a new job this week and trying to figure out what to do with her during the day. She usually has free reign of the house and backyard if she wants it, but I'm worried about letting her go outside while I'm gone during the day. It can get up to 105F, and she doesn't have much of a brain. I'd rather deal with a few potential accidents than injury/death.

Any other tips for making the transition? She is a velcro dog, so I'm sure it will be difficult.

If you're worried about heat (reasonable), go ahead and close the flap and be prepared to let her out immediately when you get home and clean up after if necessary. If there seem to be issues, probably work on some more strict toilet training to reward that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Occasionally if we see another dog on a walk he will bark at them, hair stands up on his shoulders, but tail is usually wagging. I've always taken that as a 'Hey can I play with you' kind of bark, but maybe I've misread it.

E: talked to the day care people when I picked him up and apparently he mostly just gets too amped up when he's playing and starts playing way too rough. Apparently the other (bigger) dog had to get stiches. Didn't think my sweet boy had that in him :( It makes me feel a bit better that he's not getting snappy or attacking other dogs, but still definitely an issue that needs work.

Made an appointment to get him neutered on Friday. The woman at the vet mentioned some kind of shirt/vest instead of a cone-does that ring a bell with anyone?

Yeah that doesn’t mean he wants to play. Hair standing up is pretty aggressive / not happy.

And uh the fact that the other dog had to get stitches is kinda a big deal. Something similar happened to my dog a few months ago and you shouldn’t be taking it so lightly because I am sure the other owners are not too happy that their dog was attacked.

I’ve had to use this a few times and highly recommend it.

BENCMATE Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats - Soft Pet Recovery Collar Does Not Block Vision E-Collar (Medium, Blue) https://a.co/d/29nSPp4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

hair stands up on his shoulders

Going to agree with MarcusSA and emphasize this again, that is not happy/friendly behavior. You should probably talk to a trainer.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My husky mutt has her hair stand up every time she sees other dogs, even her best friends who she sees every day at the dog park and has never, ever had issues with (she’s never had issues with any dogs, the only trouble she ever had was multiple unfamiliar big dogs, all standing over and sniffing at her at once her at once. And even then it was a a lot of noise and attempting to escape the situation, and was friends with them 10 minutes later).

It just seems to stand up when she’s excited.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We're looking to get a dog for the first time, and it has to be a cocker spaniel because my partner is obsessed with them. We're in a pretty good situation for raising a spaniel I think, we've got a garden and there are lots of woods and open spaces very nearby for exercising in, and both our families have dogs (in my families case it's a pair of Maltipoos, in laws have a cocker spaniel). My main concern at this point is choosing a good, responsible breeder - we're in France and I'm not sure how high the average standard is. I really don't want to support somewhere that has poor animal welfare or health standards, I already feel a little bad for not adopting from a shelter, and could do we some advice.

So far I've found two good leads (obviously we'd visit anywhere we picked first but some of these are several hours drive away):

https://www.domainedepinsolle.fr/
This place has a lot more professional looking website than most local breeders, which might be colouring my impressions. They have quite a few dogs listed, but the ratio of litters:female dogs seems quite low which I take as a good sign.

https://spaniels.fr/portees
French Spaniel club has listings, which seem to be a mix of individuals and breeders. I'd hope that anyone they'd advertise would be fairly competent, https://duclosdesbellesoreilles.chiens-de-france.com/cocker-spaniel-anglais.html certainly looks better than the average one I can find online (small number of dogs, they seem to be actively involved in showing theirs and engaged in a community, maybe a bit backyardy though).

Any thoughts on either of these/picking a breeder in France in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i've decided to let iris have another cycle before having her spayed. hopefully it's not just me being neurotic, i don't know why but she just doesn't feel ready for it yet, those chunky bones still have some growing left to do