Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Am I the only one that thinks the kid they cast for Luffy is a bad fit? Maybe it's the direction, but whatever the issue, Luffy needs to be a lot more animated and exaggerated than we've seen in the trailers. A generic central hero with the lightheartedness ramped up a bit will not work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i feel similarly but also much of the exaggeratedness looks really weird and is hard to do if you aren't physically a cartoon. you can't just tell an actor "ok now make your head big, turn your eyes blank and have your teeth go all pointy while you yell a reaction to this goofy thing"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the kid they cast for Luffy is a bad fit?

Yes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the kid they cast for Luffy is a bad fit? Maybe it's the direction, but whatever the issue, Luffy needs to be a lot more animated and exaggerated than we've seen in the trailers. A generic central hero with the lightheartedness ramped up a bit will not work at all.
I not sure how a human being could be more animated than Iñaki manages to be. You're comparing him to other people, not cartoons, right?

His enthusiasm and energy are spot on, and that's what's most important for the character.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1683467775044403202

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He has changed it back to a normal Mihawk lol

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fraud Mihawk is probably my favorite meme

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

rannum posted:

What do you mean, meme?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I started off very skeptical of the live action One Piece but now I'm getting unreasonably hype

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The preview has made it seem significantly better than every other live action remake so far.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 25, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The trailer was good. From what we have to go off of it seems like a largely decent adaptation. My current worry is less that it's going to be a travesty and more that it will be fairly unexceptional in its own right, but hopefully it surprises me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arist posted:

The trailer was good. From what we have to go off of it seems like a largely decent adaptation. My current worry is less that it's going to be a travesty and more that it will be fairly unexceptional in its own right, but hopefully it surprises me.

There are a lot of ways a creator can distance themselves from an adaptation, both subtle and much less so, and Oda seems legitimately proud and excited for what they've done. Even if Netflix won't greenlight another season due to being much more stingy with their budgets now after several years of funding a huge mixed bag of releases, he strikes me as happy for what they've accomplished.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Considering where netflix is at and how much money they spent on this I'm not sure if there even exists a level of success for this that gets a season 2 but I hope it's good enough to get people interested in the series in general.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
People keep commenting on Netflix' stingy nature over the past several years but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they've done so is so that they could actually afford to do One Piece without going bankrupt.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Runa posted:

There are a lot of ways a creator can distance themselves from an adaptation, both subtle and much less so, and Oda seems legitimately proud and excited for what they've done. Even if Netflix won't greenlight another season due to being much more stingy with their budgets now after several years of funding a huge mixed bag of releases, he strikes me as happy for what they've accomplished.

Remembering Akira Toriyama saying "I hope you can enjoy Dragonball Evolution as its own alternate universe" which looking back on it was probably the closest he could get to saying "this poo poo sucks" during that marketing cycle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bleck posted:

People keep commenting on Netflix' stingy nature over the past several years but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they've done so is so that they could actually afford to do One Piece without going bankrupt.

Oh, nah. Netflix had two folks who didn't have to agree on things to greenlight series so the whole service was a big 'Mom said no, go ask Dad' deal so the right hand cancels what the left hand did and vice versa unless they're a runaway success. (As the recent strikes show Netflix is extremely reluctant to admit to quantify what they consider a runaway success.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is OP on break this week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Is OP on break this week.

The entire magazine is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This world is meaningless.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

rannum posted:

Frauds in general is the best. A coworker was pumped for Bogard two weeks ago, then last week he was a little disappointed and I kept telling him Bogard's a fraud and a 007 (0 fights, 0 feats and 7 panels)

Like powerlevel chat is dumb, but just a drop of irony and it rules.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I respect all OP characters. None are frauds to me.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This world is meaningless.

If I get reborn, I want to become a clam...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Frauds in general is the best. A coworker was pumped for Bogard two weeks ago, then last week he was a little disappointed and I kept telling him Bogard's a fraud and a 007 (0 fights, 0 feats and 7 panels)

Like powerlevel chat is dumb, but just a drop of irony and it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpFJaJpSVo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Plebian Parasite posted:

Considering where netflix is at and how much money they spent on this I'm not sure if there even exists a level of success for this that gets a season 2 but I hope it's good enough to get people interested in the series in general.

Given the international popularity of the franchise, and the actual effort they seem to o be putting into the various dub options, this seems like a show that is big enough to be supported by Netflix international. Assuming it doesn't suck, of course.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I respect all OP characters. None are frauds to me.

I have some bad news about some big names in the Galley La company.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

The entire magazine is.

No it's just OP. Then op comes back for another chapter, then the whole magazine goes on break.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I got the itch to start reading One Piece since I won an iPad and want to use it to read stuff. I got the Shonen Jump app and subscription. Currently up to Chapter 164. Not trying the anime (yet) as I feel I'll be caught up much faster.

I do have a question about the difference between the manga and anime: Why does the anime have as many episodes as the manga? Do they pad the hell out of the anime?

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 25, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah at a certain point the anime catches up and it's just padded to hell

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

No it's just OP. Then op comes back for another chapter, then the whole magazine goes on break.

The despair I feel at the moment is comparable to Kaido's when that CP0 guy came and grabbed Luffy during their fight.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Julias posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleopolis posted:

I got the itch to start reading One Piece since I won an iPad and want to 7se it to read stuff. I got the Shonen Jump app and subscription. Currently up to Chapter 164. Not trying the anime (yet) as I feel I'll be caught up much faster.

I do have a question about the difference between the manga and anime: Why does the anime have as many episodes as the manga? Do they pad the hell out of the anime?

At first they threw in filler arcs and padded episodes here and there, but eventually it turned to where most episodes adapt 1 manga chapter or less to avoid catching up. (and occasional short fillers)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The best way to imbibe One Piece is to read the manga, then go check out the big moments in the anime. During my current reread I did that with the end of Drum Island and I almost cried.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyges posted:

I have some bad news about some big names in the Galley La company.

I choose to believe that Lucci and Kaku have a true passion for shipbuilding. They would take that job again in a heartbeat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is what OP Twitter is like for every character

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

I choose to believe that Lucci and Kaku have a true passion for shipbuilding. They would take that job again in a heartbeat.

I think Kaku does (he seems to have considered himself honor-bound to give honest ship-related advice even to pirates). I don’t think Lucci does.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleopolis posted:

I got the itch to start reading One Piece since I won an iPad and want to 7se it to read stuff. I got the Shonen Jump app and subscription. Currently up to Chapter 164. Not trying the anime (yet) as I feel I'll be caught up much faster.

The anime is pretty good until Enis Lobby. That's when it catches up with the manga and they start looking for ways to pad things out. The crew literally jump together and then in mid air they switch to several episodes of recap, followed by attempts at some Bleach style filler. However as long as you use the internet to skip the filler, pretty much everyone agrees that the anime is good through the end of Enis Lobby.

After that every arc gets worse with padding, and the padding itself gets worse until it fully devolves into long pans of near still reaction shots. Even then, things aren't that bad until Marineford. That's when they break down and just have Luffy essentially run marathons trying to get from the beach to his goal. If you're anime only you would be forgiven for thinking Marineford is the size of Texas. Things accelerate from there, and most people who drop the anime do so within an arc or two of that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lucci's passion is murder.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
lucci's in the wrong manga then since no one dies in one piece

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't need to be good or successful at things you're passionate about.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

You don't need to be good or successful at things you're passionate about.

Turn on my monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is what OP Twitter is like for every character

pain talking a lot of sense there