Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I was just going to say that lol At this point whatever the cover ends up being is going to be a disappointment--not that it's bad but every one is so used to this horn cover that the official one just isn't going to look right, no matter how good it is. I feel like they should just track down the artist and buy it off of them, or something.

I don't know, I kind of suspect that if whenever Winds comes out they're going to use that as an opportunity to go with a new design scheme so that they can re-release books1-5 with brand new covers and it will drive people nuts because that covers have to match on their bookshelves (if they care about that sort of thing)

It's been so long now that Bantam's probably due to release a brand new set of cover art designs at some point anyway so that people will loving never have a complete consistent set of books if Winds ever gets released somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

He does it to gently caress with me, personally, and I refuse to believe anything else.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been so long now that Bantam's probably due to release a brand new set of cover art designs at some point anyway so that people will loving never have a complete consistent set of books if Winds ever gets released somehow.

See, it's better for the bottom line :shepface:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Maybe he just does it to keep his publisher off his back.

Yeah sound like real hard asses. They've been really hounding him these last....12 years.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I doubt we would have gotten TWOIAF and Fire and Blood if not for his publishers.

Or Dance, actually, since they were the ones who convinced him to stop and move the material he had to Winds.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Wasn't the one before Dance already something his publisher pressured him to get out, he saw it as one book with Dance and wanted to edit it more.

So either that one would already not have ever come out, or that's where he had to publish half baked chapters that he can't undo now. Either way, not a good sign.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Xiahou Dun posted:

See it’s the lying that pisses me off.

mark immune posted:

the book will never be released so this won’t be an issue

Kylaer posted:

To quote a much better and more productive author, Sometimes, he was easy to hate.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I do believe that he is rewriting that book, I have never had any doubt about that

Thats the opposite of "making progress" though

edit: actually, I would bet that every day he works on that book, it gets less done

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 24, 2023

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
forcing Gurm to publish the unfinished third of a book that is adwd was a genius business decision worth many millions of dollars, I really get gurm's laziness but had he published anything, really anything, during the 8 years the show was on the air he would have made so much money, gotta love the man's lack of dedication.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
he's not lying, it's just that he'll go back and re-write the same chapters over and over again. Ensuring it will never finish

he's basically colonel aureliano buendía from 100 years of solitude

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to see the (fat) man fly!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Typo posted:

he's not lying, it's just that he'll go back and re-write the same chapters over and over again. Ensuring it will never finish

he's basically colonel aureliano buendía from 100 years of solitude

That's a deep literary cut. On point, too.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
These books were originally only supposed to be a trilogy, after all :shepface:

I seem to remember an article from...god, it's was pre-2015, at least, with his editor and she was strongly suggesting turning it in to eight books.

I still kind of suspect we might get eight books if they ever come out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eight Is Enough?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

These books were originally only supposed to be a trilogy, after all :shepface:

I seem to remember an article from...god, it's was pre-2015, at least, with his editor and she was strongly suggesting turning it in to eight books.

It's a contagious curse.

Bakker's 'Prince of Nothing' series was also meant to be short, but it only got buzz after book 2, and hey, why surf that wave for only 1 book more? Let's cook up some extra plot to -really- let the readers down 4 books ahead!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vseslav.botkin posted:

I doubt we would have gotten TWOIAF and Fire and Blood if not for his publishers.

Or Dance, actually, since they were the ones who convinced him to stop and move the material he had to Winds.

It was less "convinced him" and more that Bantam panicked and forced him to give them the manuscript and cut it off at what they felt was an appropriate end point because the show was months away from premiering at that point and they wanted to get something, anything out there to capitalize on what was probably gonna be the smash hit energy of the show. Then the show kept going and the books did not.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

nine-gear crow posted:

It was less "convinced him" and more that Bantam panicked and forced him to give them the manuscript and cut it off at what they felt was an appropriate end point because the show was months away from premiering at that point and they wanted to get something, anything out there to capitalize on what was probably gonna be the smash hit energy of the show. Then the show kept going and the books did not.

And both managed to make that terrible.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is there any proof he did anything for TWOIAF besides farting out napkin notes for the nazis like he gave D&D?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I still kind of suspect we might get eight books

Lying

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Queen Penelope say's she's weaving a funeral shroud for Laertes nearly daily.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Happy Landfill posted:

Fourteen, and books 6-14 will be written with the help of Sanderson.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
He’s absolutely rewriting everything based on how poorly the ending of the show was received but running into the issue that the things he set up he has to change, so everything will be awkward and unnatural

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm old enough to remember thinking the Iraq invasion must really have thrown a wrench in the White Savior plotline he had planned for Dany.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm old enough to remember thinking the Iraq invasion must really have thrown a wrench in the White Savior plotline he had planned for Dany.

ya, also started reading it pre 2003 lol. 2 decades, 2 new books. not good, not bad

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Libluini posted:

Fourteen, and books 6-14 will be written with the help of Sanderson.

Good Mormon boy Sanderson will not touch a book with so many godless sex-havers.

He's more into wholesome polygamy, like in Wheel of Time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Does anyone have the old photoshops of GRRM as a Lovecraftian monstrosity?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does anyone have the old photoshops of GRRM as a Lovecraftian monstrosity?

... his normal pic?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There was at least one of him surrounded by tentacles of shadow that were holding lemon cakes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xiahou Dun posted:

There was at least one of him surrounded by tentacles of shadow that were holding lemon cakes

Yes, there are photographs of George R. R. Martin in the writers’ room.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I want the one of him glaring at young Maisie Williams with the caption "SOON."

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

mark immune posted:

2 decades, 2 new books. not good, not bad

Fixed.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Platystemon posted:

Yes, there are photographs of George R. R. Martin in the writers’ room.

Photoshop

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Gentlemen, you can't finish books in here! It's the writers' room!"

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kuiperdolin posted:

"Gentlemen, you can't finish books in here! It's the writers' room!"

Perfect post.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do we even know he wrote the first books? I have my doubts.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Listen, let's not railroad the guy. He's written...something.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
He sure did at least get unproductive after Ty left.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wait, was Ty the guy that used to screen his Livejournal posts so George never had to see anything negative?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
No Ty was the guy who wrote the books. According to this thread, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Trudis posted:

Listen, let's not railroad the guy. He's written...something.

He loves railroads so much he bought his own.