Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Team, in case you're thinking about your moves next turn as well, got confirmation that the following hexes I asked about block the Dropship's LOS:

• 2322/2323
  • 1916/2016
  • 2518/2618

Given those answers, 1526/1625/1725 should also block LOS as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

anakha posted:

Hammer: The forest hex at 1913 is reachable at 6 movement and puts you at short range for your PPCs to the Scorpion. You'd have 9s to hit each other.

Warhammer

Yeah, looks like my best move, so I'm heading there. Depending on how the Stinger and Scorpion move next turn I might just keep going after them, somebody has to get the Dropship to fire or it'll just sit on its weapon charge, so forcing it to only fire the LRMs at a bad mod is important.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer

Yeah, looks like my best move, so I'm heading there. Depending on how the Stinger and Scorpion move next turn I might just keep going after them, somebody has to get the Dropship to fire or it'll just sit on its weapon charge, so forcing it to only fire the LRMs at a bad mod is important.

Assuming the Scorpion charges south next turn to maximize its move mod, you running to 2410 from 1913 puts you at 19 hexes from the dropship which is the range only the LRMs can reach. If everybody else is out of LOS, that's the ideal scenario you were mentioning.

Scintilla, is the dropship's gunnery also at 4? If so, then that should be 10s to hit with the LRMs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Scintilla, is the dropship's gunnery also at 4? If so, then that should be 10s to hit with the LRMs.

Yes, the DropShip has a gunnery stat of 4.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Orders in - gonna back up the Treb by running to 2020 and shooting at the fuel tank as well for insurance. I've been screwed before by variable LRM damage so I don't wanna take any chances this time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Going full aggro and moving to 2418 to unload on the PHX.

I am very close to going down with a few bad hits, but I think it's worth the chance to take this guy down.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

Orders are also in. I'm running to 2021 and lighting up that fuel tank. With any luck it should destroy or cripple the tanks, and then it should be easy enough for us to finish them off. The turn after next I think the BlackJack and I will have to hide from the Dropship, but there might still be a chance for some supporting fire from us

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:yeshaha:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

War is harrowing. That fuel tank had a family!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

D-d-d-double kill!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I mean, the Goblin might live because it’s a heavier tank but I feel like the Scorpion will probably just explode.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

The turn after next I think the BlackJack and I will have to hide from the Dropship, but there might still be a chance for some supporting fire from us

quote:

Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers) has fired its weapons and must check for electrical feedback! Rolls a 5! Firing Circuit Glitch! Next firing cycle delayed by an additional turn! Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers) will fire next on Turn 13!

No, we need to be out of LOS this coming turn.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

No, we need to be out of LOS this coming turn.

Oh, I know that we have to be out of LOS. I meant like. If I was in 1725, facing 1724 I could technically still shoot the Phoenix Hawk's current position.

It would be a crappy shot, but I could.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Oh, I know that we have to be out of LOS. I meant like. If I was in 1725, facing 1724 I could technically still shoot the Phoenix Hawk's current position.

It would be a crappy shot, but I could.

To clarify, I saw your post about 'the turn after next' and thought you were under the impression the Dropship was gonna fire on turn 14, not 13.

If I misread that, then my bad.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

To clarify, I saw your post about 'the turn after next' and thought you were under the impression the Dropship was gonna fire on turn 14, not 13.

If I misread that, then my bad.

It's fine. At some point, I usually start thinking of the turn I just gave my orders for as "this turn" even though it hasn't happened yet. It gets a little confusing with the delay

Don't worry, on turn 13 I'll be sprinting for cover. That takes priority over everything else.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 12

The ground beneath The Reverend’s feet shook as an enormous explosion tore through the crash site. Seismic warnings flashed across the mech’s control panel, and its secondary monitors filled with images of leaping flames and towering columns of dirty black smoke. A hellish inferno blazed where the pirates’ fuel tanks had once been, devouring everything around it like a jealous tribal deity. The little Scorpion vanished as the blaze swept over it, its thin armour no match for the violence that Stephanie’s missiles had unleashed. The Goblin weathered the blast better, but as it limped away it was obvious that its drive system had suffered damage.

Louis noted the chaos unfolding behind him, but did not let it overawe him. In battle, focus was everything, and getting distracted at the wrong moment could easily spell disaster. It was a lesson Louis had learned even before becoming a mechwarrior, when his teenage self had fallen in with one of the many street gangs that prowled New Glasgow’s rougher neighbourhoods. When someone threw a bottle at one of your mates, you didn’t stop to gawk. You jumped on whoever did it and knocked them cold.

When Josiah Preston’s Phoenix Hawk turned its head towards the blast, Louis knew the man’s concentration had lapsed. He pounced, reaching out with The Reverend’s battle fists. His right hand grasped the Hawk’s right forearm, crushing most of its remaining armour and just barely missing the Large Laser assembly. Preston tried to pull away, but it was useless. This was the kind of close combat the Hunchback had been made for, and the slender scout mech simply didn’t have the strength or leverage to overcome The Reverend’s lower centre of gravity.

Reaching back, Louis drove The Reverend’s left hand into the Phoenix Hawk’s chest. The armour there was still soft from where his Small Laser had struck it moments earlier, and Louis worked the Hunchback’s fingers into the breach, gouging it wider until he could use it as a makeshift handhold.

“You’re not going anywhere, pal,” Louis chuckled as Preston triggered his jump jets in a last, desperate attempt to escape. “Not before I take you down to funky town!” With that, he pivoted. The Reverend twisted leftwards, dragging the Phoenix Hawk sideways until it lost its balance. Preston kicked spasmodically, but it was too late. The Phoenix Hawk crumpled as Louis flung it to the ground in a manoeuvre that would have drawn wild cheers if it had been performed on a Solaris pay-per-view.

“Go ahead. Get back up,” Louis said as Preston struggled to rise. “I’ll wait…” he glanced at the readiness gauge for The Reverend’s AC/20, “…for now.”

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Fires LRM-15 at Fuel Tank (Hex 1325); needs 2, rolls 3: 9 Missiles Automatically Hit! Fuel Tank (Hex 1325) takes 9 damage, 6/15 Construction Factor remaining.
-Fires LRM-15 at Fuel Tank (Hex 1325); needs 2, rolls 6: 9 Missiles Automatically Hit! Fuel Tank (Hex 1325) takes 9 damage, 0/15 Construction Factor remaining. Fuel Tank destroyed!
--Fuel Tank (Hex 1325) explodes!
--Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) is hit for 20 damage! Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Side (6/11 Armour remaining), Right Side (1/11 Armour remaining), Right Side (0/11 Armour, 0/3 Structure remaining), and Right Side (Overkill)! Right Side destroyed! Vehicle destroyed!
--Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) is hit for 20 damage! Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Rear (15/20 Armour remaining), Left Side (19/24 Armour remaining (CfMSD!), Left Side (14/24 Armour remaining (CfMSD!), and Rear (10/20 Armour remaining)!
---Chance for Motive System Damage! Minor damage, +1 to driving skill rolls.
---Chance for Motive System Damage! Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1MP.
--Makeshift Hangar (Hex 1525) is hit for 20 damage, 5/25 Construction Factor remaining.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 1325); needs 4, rolls 10: Hits! Fuel tank already destroyed.
-Fires Large Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 1325); needs 4, rolls 4: Hits! Fuel tank already destroyed.

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Fires AC/20 at Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 11: Hits Centre Torso! Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) takes 3 damage to Centre Torso, 20/23 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires PPC at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits Right Torso! Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 15/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Right Arm! Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Arm, 1/16 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Right Torso! Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Torso, 13/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 6, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires Large Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires AC/5 at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers):
-Still resetting firing circuits…

Physical attacks for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Punches Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) with Right Arm; needs 9, rolls 11: Hits Right Arm! Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Arm, 2/10 Armour remaining.
-Punches Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) with Left Arm; needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 15/23 Armour remaining.

--

Physical attacks for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Kicks Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 5, rolls 4: Misses!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 18 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 9 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 22 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 5 heat. Overheating!

--

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 8 heat. Overheating!

Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) gains 16 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 6 heat. Overheating!

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 1 heat, sinks 1 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Missed a Kick: Needs 5, rolls 2: Fails!
--Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) falls on its left side, suffering 5 damage to Left Leg (10/15 Armour remaining).
-Josiah Preston must roll a 5+ to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 9: Succeeds!

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) attempts to stand. Needs a 5, rolls 3: Fails!
-Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) falls on its rear, suffering 5 damage to Rear Left Torso (0/4 Armour, 10/11 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!))
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! One Critical Hit Sustained! Critical Hit on Jump Jet!
-Josiah Preston must roll a 5+ to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 3: Fails!

Josiah Preston (Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers)) has taken 1 damage this turn! Josiah Preston must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Josiah Preston must roll a 3 to remain conscious! Toughness bonus reduces target to 2. Automatic Success!

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) attempts to stand again. Needs a 5, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants a bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (0/1)
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (6/9)

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 29th 9:00PM GMT.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Oh poo poo, that missed kick and the fall might just decide this fight. This is probably our best shot to take out the PHawk.

I'm planning to back up to 2016 and firing on it - should have 7s to hit plus the Dropship has no LOS on me in that hex.

Scintilla, can you confirm I have LOS with no partial cover issues to the PHawk from 2016?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
yesssssssssssss, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Scintilla, can you confirm I have LOS with no partial cover issues to the PHawk from 2016?

You have a clear shot from 2016. The Phoenix Hawk does not have partial cover.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

Sadly I don’t think I’ll be able to assist, not with the hills in-between me and the Phoenix Hawk. With the way I turned I can only back up as far as the Blackjack, and running doesn’t help because I have to turn around.

Question for Scintilla. Are hexes 2322 and 2323 out of the dropship’s LOS? (They’re the ones behind the small building on the right) Second question, do I have LOS to the Phoenix Hawk from there? I expect not. Alternative question, can I see the scorpion mech?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alright, then our Turn 13 target is pretty clear. Just a matter of figuring out where everybody else wants to position themselves.

If the Warhammer moves to 2410 and everyone else denies LOS to the Dropship then the LRMs are the only threat and only on 10s or more.

The Scorpion might have good shots on me or the Hunchback but the tradeoff is worth it to have 0 move mod on Preston.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

glwgameplayer posted:

Trebuchet

Sadly I don’t think I’ll be able to assist, not with the hills in-between me and the Phoenix Hawk. With the way I turned I can only back up as far as the Blackjack, and running doesn’t help because I have to turn around.

Question for Scintilla. Are hexes 2322 and 2323 out of the dropship’s LOS? (They’re the ones behind the small building on the right) Second question, do I have LOS to the Phoenix Hawk from there? I expect not. Alternative question, can I see the scorpion mech?

Hexes 2322 and 2323 are safe zones since the buildings block the DropShip's LOS. You cannot see the Phoenix Hawk, but you do have LOS to the Scorpion.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

I think that’s going to be my best bet then. I can walk to 2322 and shoot the Scorpion with my LRMs. It’s not a particularly good shot, 9+ I think. But it’s better then just sitting behind a building doing nothing. Besides, I think it’s gone untouched this battle

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now I have an actually tough choice, because if this were a one off mission, I'd 100% just walk one hex down in to the trench with the PHX and blast it with the best to-hit numbers we're ever likely to have against it. I'll be hitting on 5s, which is amazing for our level of piloting ability.

But... I'm down to low single digit armor on most locations and I'm facing down an SRM-6 that only needs a 7 to hit me in return. I'm potentially getting the Hunchback pretty roughed up, but my ammo carrying torso still has enough armor to weather a couple SRM hits, and my 5 armor leg will have cover.

My inclination is to go for it, because an AC20 hit on the left side table has a very good chance of just straight crippling the PHX- It will blow off the arm entirely, leave the LT on 3 structure, the left leg on 1, etc. Another kick and pilot hit chain could end this for us right here, too.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gwaihir posted:

My inclination is to go for it, because an AC20 hit on the left side table has a very good chance of just straight crippling the PHX- It will blow off the arm entirely, leave the LT on 3 structure, the left leg on 1, etc. Another kick and pilot hit chain could end this for us right here, too.

I think you should go for it for two reasons. 1, it has a very good chance of us instantly crippling the PHX, potentially knocking it over again, which we really, really need to do before he gets away and starts jump-jetting around again

2. I think that's the only spot you can get to where you're safe from the Dropship. Everywhere else doesn't have high enough cover to get you out of LOS

You might get roughed up, and might even take some component damage. But finishing off the PHX will take the Dropship's guns out of the equation.on future turns. It would be a huge step forward for us.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, the chance is too good not to take. And besides, the cluster table is a fickle master.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hehehehehe good work

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:sickos:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Smashy-smashy kill-kill! Smashy-smashy kill-kill!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Battlemech judo? Now I've seen everything!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I kinda hope Nathan got a good view of that :getin:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I approve

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This turn's writeup is worthy of any FASA novel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

aniviron posted:

This turn's writeup is worthy of any FASA novel.

It was actually readable which puts it well above any stackpole effort I've seen

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, Stackpole is readable. He's predictable, but he is readable.

Now, Thomas Gressman, on the other hand...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i'd put scintilla's writing well above "readable" though

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla does a really good job of turning the dry text output of, "hit a punch, missed a punch, failed a roll to stay upright on a kick" into something pretty compelling. It's fun!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aniviron posted:

Scintilla does a really good job of turning the dry text output of, "hit a punch, missed a punch, failed a roll to stay upright on a kick" into something pretty compelling. It's fun!

quotin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

aniviron posted:

this is way better put