Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol if this makes a bunch of cspam communists into goldbugs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

studying marxism to become a better capitalist ftw

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
unironically yes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’m guessing the gold thing is a Russian demand because any BRICOR could just be fiat supported entirely by china’s industrial base alone

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Question, can the gold backed currency only use for global trade, like you don't use it domestically daily consumption, you don't use it for investment. But only for trade?

Or its impossible for the Brics countries that issue it to limit its used?

The USD index is wildly affected by the US interest rate, I don't know how you affect the gold backed index. Throwing national gold reserve into the global market is the only way I guess?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Weka posted:

unironically yes

who's being ironic

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question, can the gold backed currency only use for global trade, like you don't use it domestically daily consumption, you don't use it for investment. But only for trade?

Or its impossible for the Brics countries that issue it to limit its used?

The USD index is wildly affected by the US interest rate, I don't know how you affect the gold backed index. Throwing national gold reserve into the global market is the only way I guess?

yes, international currencies without an accompanying monetary and economic union are for trade and national account transactions only. international currencies such as bancor, unitas, or whatever BRICS proposes (i like ardennes' BRICOR from the asia thread), circulate entirely inside some supranational institution who would just limit access/membership to central banks of participating nations. i suppose it would be possible for a single member of BRICS to forgo their own domestic currency and just use BRICOR instead but at that point you've just reinvented bretton woods but with more steps.

there are several options for influencing gold indexes/currencies: managing the money supply through interest rates and bonds by the issuing authority, producing more gold, or collude with other nations to use your gold reserves to influence the market price

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf communist countries have issues with multilateral clearing too, its just that china literally makes everything so no one really cares about holding on a glut of yuans

Oh no what am I going to do with all this money I can exchange for literally all goods produced by humanity?

Combined labour power of the working class backed currency.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Jul 25, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ikanreed posted:

Lol if this makes a bunch of cspam communists into goldbugs though

im warming up to gold already. what are the best gold etfs??

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

gold specie ftw

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also it wouldn't just be gold, it'll probably be backed by other commodities

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
the conditions are finally right. it's time to introduce a cspam currency to compete with the dollar

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

the conditions are finally right. it's time to introduce a cspam currency to compete with the dollar

quotecoin, the quote based economy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Introducing the Goon Energy Cube. Each Energoon equals 1 gigajoule of energy.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Rand Paul posted:

gold specie ftw

no nooooooooooooo

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

mawarannahr posted:

this was exactly where my head was at. i can see we're going to make great partners on this project

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1684000580212236288?t=sXqlqnF7D5F05Hi8iPnvpQ&s=19

feel like this happened really quickly.

maybe related to BRICS meeting? maybe the new BRICS currency will be some kind of digital Bancor linked?

or maybe they needed to put some kind of infrastructure in place?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

this was exactly where my head was at. i can see we're going to make great partners on this project

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly with the way everything else is I wouldn't be surprised to find out that fort Knox is actually mostly empty because the government has sold parts of it off

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yeah at this point just completely sever the stock market from the actual economy and let all the rich live their lives in apple headsets imagining how rich they are like that time picard captured a hologram in a cube on his desk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grapplejack posted:

Honestly with the way everything else is I wouldn't be surprised to find out that fort Knox is actually mostly empty because the government has sold parts of it off

A supervillain emptied it out a while back and they've just been pretending

Or it's where they're actually keeping the UFOs, Area 51 is where they keep the gold. They'll never suspect that

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
bump

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1689262413302927361?t=uC1jNDR9jV5_A2QvJCGgoA&s=19

https://youtube.com/shorts/JpwJR2Mi_Es?feature=share

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the brics meeting this year should be entertaining over 40 countries are wanting to join so far

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the anglo nations are all gonna get enslaved by america and be forced to live apart from the world like a sad hermit kingdom of racists

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

the anglo nations are all gonna get enslaved by america and be forced to live apart from the world like a sad hermit kingdom of racists

the rest of the world will progress and leave the english speaking world behind. domestic media will continue to describe the west as number one, and the masses will not know any better because we're generally monolingual

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Delta-Wye posted:

the rest of the world will progress and leave the english speaking world behind. domestic media will continue to describe the west as number one, and the masses will not know any better because we're generally monolingual
all the things that western media makes up about communist states' information control will continue to become more and more relevant in describing themselves

dk2m
May 6, 2009
when I visited Shanghai before covid, I legitimately couldn’t believe it. I was expecting something advanced, but nothing prepared me for just how insanely ahead it felt compared to any American city. wandering around at night was a genuine experience.

I remember when I first visited in the 90s would see tons of bicycles since cars were a luxury. made me really sad to see the wasted potential here as neoliberal failson empire inheritors robbed us of our future and all we get are dumb apps called Milkr

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1691134084720758784

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

dont worry this will be offset by argentina putting the entire country on the imf credit card

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How much are they buying exactly?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Centrist Committee posted:

dont worry this will be offset by argentina putting the entire country on the imf credit card

(again)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

net work error posted:

One million barrels of oil.

Source.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Crossposting this here because I love graphs and love is about sharing. Also maybe some econ egg heads might have some insights.

Russia has stopped publishing gross trade data since 2022 but heres a website puporting to track it as well as possible.
https://www.bruegel.org/dataset/russian-foreign-trade-tracker

quote:

To track Russian foreign trade, this dataset collects detailed trade data from European Union countries, China, the United States, South Korea, Japan, India, the United Kingdom, Turkey, Switzerland, Norway, Brazil, and Kazakhstan. These 38 countries accounted for 80% of Russia’s exports and imports in 2019.

This won't catch some of the new importing they've been doing through third countries, but it will catch a lot.

As you can see it has declined from 2021 but is still around pre-covid levels. I've added a graph below with more long term data, it's from WITS.

I've been wondering about the effect of the drop in value of the ruble. Russia is an export led economy and so a low ruble combined with a strong oil price gives the government more rubles to spend domestically. All reports I've seen of their current account balance have been pretty good.
There is obviously a limit to how low is manageable though with inflation potentially being driven by imports.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
is there a thread somewhere discussing the BRICS stuff? haven’t been able to find any, and can’t search right now because I only have access to the awful app.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

Also see Americans who genuinely believe daily life in the US is the best it gets worldwide for regular working people.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

net work error posted:

India is the 4th largest oil refiner in the world:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/273579/countries-with-the-largest-oil-refinery-capacity/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Popoto posted:

is there a thread somewhere discussing the BRICS stuff? haven’t been able to find any, and can’t search right now because I only have access to the awful app.

This thread kind of does and the Asian thread does a bit. You would think doom econ would, but that thread is about how much your renters are paying you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
as I thought. was hoping I had missed one. thanks.