Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Baddog posted:

Welp, AMC had people working overtime friday night, filed an amendment on saturday, CEO sent out a letter to shareholders pleading to make this work/support the deal. Net result, lot of people convinced that AMC/APE conversion is still gonna happen and the squeeze didn't pan out this morning.

Still was a decent play, honestly very surprised they reacted so fast and got that done over the weekend. Fuckers!

I'm out at 5.18.

Adam Aron has done a pretty remarkable job of navigating the insanity that must be running a meme stock company. I wouldnt be surprised if AMC actually manages to survive all of this somehow unlike the other large meme stocks like BBBY and GME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I want the dumbest future where Elon has Tesla acquire a controlling interest in U.S. Steel, “to vertically integrate Tesla manufacturing”, when it’s really just to get their stock ticker for his dumbass X rebrand of twitter before he takes the company public again.

Give it 2 years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

I'd be stupid not to buy more SCHW, right?

I should have bought more.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Redeemed all my I bonds today, it was a nice run of ~9% interest

Now what's poppin' in the market that looks juicy

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

Redeemed all my I bonds today, it was a nice run of ~9% interest

Now what's poppin' in the market that looks juicy

Its not 9%, but I picked up some more nice CDs the other week.

Some SGOV. A little VCLT on the spicier side. Real degenerate stuff.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If you want to play earnings lotto plenty of companies reporting this week. Microsoft and Google tonight, Meta Wed PM, XOM on Friday AM to name a few.

I'm interested in $BUD reporting next week on 8/3. Will be interesting to see the actual effects (if any) of the social media boycott.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Baddog posted:

Its not 9%, but I picked up some more nice CDs the other week.

Some SGOV. A little VCLT on the spicier side. Real degenerate stuff.
you maniac

I may just plop it into $PBTB for more boring income since I will miss the chance to degenerately gamble on MSFT earnings

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 25, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
drat, MAT just can't break $22. Earnings are getting released tomorrow, so maybe a chance to hit my $23 target out of this, but if not, at least it was cheap

Also, I found the LECO spread thing again and actually got a picture this time so I can hopefully be told that I'm an idiot for making a fuss

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Door Frame posted:

Also, I found the LECO spread thing again and actually got a picture this time so I can hopefully be told that I'm an idiot for making a fuss

That's after hours trading... Most stocks do get extremely illiquid and the spreads open up. Never put in a market order pre or post market!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Baddog posted:

That's after hours trading... Most stocks do get extremely illiquid and the spreads open up. Never put in a market order pre or post market!

Thank you. I had a feeling that I was freaking out over normal behavior, but I had to have someone more knowledgeable look at it before I made any real decisions

And since I've already shown my ignorance, I may as well ask another dumb question. Is that the price that someone is actually paying to buy a share at, or is it the price adjusted to reflect the number of orders put in to buy and sell the 0 shares that are currently changing hands?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Usually "the price" listed is the last filled order - what was the price the last deal was actually made at?

The posted bid is the highest price someone is willing to pay - what's the highest limit buy order?

The posted ask is the lowest price someone is willing to accept to sell - what's the lowest limit sell order?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Jenkl posted:

Usually "the price" listed is the last filled order - what was the price the last deal was actually made at?

The posted bid is the highest price someone is willing to pay - what's the highest limit buy order?

The posted ask is the lowest price someone is willing to accept to sell - what's the lowest limit sell order?

And there's the disconnect! :doh:

There's some real optimists out there

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 26, 2023

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
There aren’t a lot of people interested in trading your stock outside of regular trading hours. Those that are will only trade at massive premium. Some stocks trade much tighter. Most don’t. Don’t gently caress with after hours unless you know what you’re doing.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

The markets are truly crazy - Carvana (CVNA) with an over 800% return this year. And Vinco Ventures (BBIG) jumping from $1.25 to $5.12 in a single month... should have invested in the dumpster fire all along, who knew?

Finished the book "Power Failure The Rise and Fall of an American Icon" regarding the history of GE. Quite good and shows how the wrong leadership can ruin a great company. (and stockholder value) Will probably look into buying GEHC stock soon...

Bought another 1137 shares of $GOON (ENDRA Life Sciences NDRA) @$1.28. Annual stockholder meeting keeps getting pushed back, now it's Aug 9th. Something's up... are they planning to announce the De Novo submission then?

Nice work Google, wish I bought more!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here is a fun story about investing in a dumpster fire, since I just sold my SIRI stock and how I came around to buying it.

So I worked at a hedge fund in 2008 doing corporate video crap. They started a fantasy stock trading website similar to How The Market Works where you get $10K to invest in whatever, and there was a leaderboard, and all this crap to see how you compare to other users. They wanted everyone in the company to participate to make it look active as it launched. Well my goal was to tank my account as quickly as possible so that I didn't have to participate, ideally picking a stock that would go to zero if possible.

I saw SIRI drop from $3 per share to as low as .05 per share. So I dumped all my 10K into SIRI at .07 per share. The stock kept increasing from there, and my spot on the leaderboard was #1 for the entire lifespan of the site.

On the day the site died this is where my Portfolio was at.

I did the math at one point, and at its peak I would of had 939M

As a poor recent college graduate, I ended up buying 500 shares when it reached .70 per share after seeing my fantasy portfolio explode, and recently sold it at $7.00.

So yeah... who knew?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I saw SIRI drop from $3 per share to as low as .05 per share. So I dumped all my 10K into SIRI at .07 per share. The stock kept increasing from there, and my spot on the leaderboard was #1 for the entire lifespan of the site.

On the day the site died this is where my Portfolio was at.

I did the math at one point, and at its peak I would of had 939M

Wait, how did this work? SIRI is up but it isn't up THAT much. How would you have 142 milliion shares?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Assuming the decimal is missing since $10,000 divided by .07 is 142,857.143

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Agronox posted:

Wait, how did this work? SIRI is up but it isn't up THAT much. How would you have 142 milliion shares?

This is a fantasy stock trading website, not a real thing...

And maybe I'm wrong with my math/price point. It was 15 years ago!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ARTPUP posted:

Bought another 1137 shares of $GOON (ENDRA Life Sciences NDRA) @$1.28. Annual stockholder meeting keeps getting pushed back, now it's Aug 9th. Something's up... are they planning to announce the De Novo submission then?

Yeah they're real neato

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ARTPUP posted:

The markets are truly crazy - Carvana (CVNA) with an over 800% return this year. And Vinco Ventures (BBIG) jumping from $1.25 to $5.12 in a single month... should have invested in the dumpster fire all along, who knew?

Finished the book "Power Failure The Rise and Fall of an American Icon" regarding the history of GE. Quite good and shows how the wrong leadership can ruin a great company. (and stockholder value) Will probably look into buying GEHC stock soon...

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah they're real neato

If you liked that book, here's another one you might like:

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Wait-Til-Were-Diamond/dp/1889299006

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Agronox posted:

the difference between his gain and his current value is ten million dollars, so he mis-remembered the starting amount: he invested ten million fake dollars at ten cents a share, not ten thousand fake dollars

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

the difference between his gain and his current value is ten million dollars, so he mis-remembered the starting amount: he invested ten million fake dollars at ten cents a share, not ten thousand fake dollars

Ah right, lol. Thanks all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it also makes the whole scenario much more silly, because you probably can't buy ten million dollars of some ten cent penny stock without radically driving the price up as you buy various lots. I don't know how to look up the volume on SIRI on a particular day in 2009 but I bet it wasn't some high multiple of his 143M share purchase?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah they're real neato

Same.

I’m gonna hold onto it until it or myself dies or it miraculously makes a profit because it’s well past the time to have dumped it.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Ha! On the subject of NDRA, I got this email about a week ago, because I was holding shares at some point:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Why not cut out the middle men? We probably have enough qualified investors in this thread to start our own biotech venture fund.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Colonel Taint posted:

Ha! On the subject of NDRA, I got this email about a week ago, because I was holding shares at some point:

Expected to lose 150% of its market cap next year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They'll get that FDA approval any day now, I'm sure

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Leperflesh posted:

it also makes the whole scenario much more silly, because you probably can't buy ten million dollars of some ten cent penny stock without radically driving the price up as you buy various lots. I don't know how to look up the volume on SIRI on a particular day in 2009 but I bet it wasn't some high multiple of his 143M share purchase?

Oh I know that wasn't feasible in a real life scenario.

I guess the point of the story is that I intentionally tried to lose all my money in the fake stock trading site and accidentally became the top performer on a site where people that trade for a hedge fund were also participating. The stock market is a crap shoot and I will never understand it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

that’s how all those public stock market competitions work if your only goal is to be #1. you get thousands of competitors and some insanely concentrated risky bet wins the pot.

this is also why people who “professionally” bet in large daily fantasy competitions on draftkings or whatever seek to design high variance, uncommon lineups.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
AMC plummeting, APE rising, guessing the conversion is about to go through

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Oh I know that wasn't feasible in a real life scenario.

I guess the point of the story is that I intentionally tried to lose all my money in the fake stock trading site and accidentally became the top performer on a site where people that trade for a hedge fund were also participating. The stock market is a crap shoot and I will never understand it.

Wait, so I should or should not base my entire financial future on this crazy person's gambling ring?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Red posted:

Wait, so I should or should not base my entire financial future on this crazy person's gambling ring?

Being broke is a future so that bet isn’t possible

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Red posted:

Yes, you should or should not.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Being broke is a future so that bet isn’t possible

I see.

My parents and my in-laws both had nice government pensions, and both retired in their early 60s and seemed really comfortable and happy. That seems smart, how do I sign up?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Red posted:

I see.

My parents and my in-laws both had nice government pensions, and both retired in their early 60s and seemed really comfortable and happy. That seems smart, how do I sign up?

You’ll need to rip off some Libyans to get plutonium.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

google's CEO should be straight up fired
https://archive.ph/wfiEi
"Transformers: the Google scientists who pioneered an AI revolution"

imagine having the team who created transformers, which power all the LLM/GPT/etc stuff these days, and losing EVERY ONE OF THEM. largely because they wanted to make OTHER new stuff and they couldn't. plus probably has visions of gettin' richer.

it's like having a surefire future nobel laureate team at a university and then telling them 'sorry can't pay you, also need you to make the university website better please' and having them all quit

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

google's CEO should be straight up fired
https://archive.ph/wfiEi
"Transformers: the Google scientists who pioneered an AI revolution"

imagine having the team who created transformers, which power all the LLM/GPT/etc stuff these days, and losing EVERY ONE OF THEM. largely because they wanted to make OTHER new stuff and they couldn't. plus probably has visions of gettin' richer.

it's like having a surefire future nobel laureate team at a university and then telling them 'sorry can't pay you, also need you to make the university website better please' and having them all quit

That's not the only reason that Alphabet needs its leadership cleaned out, they're lying to advertisers in a big way and that's the majority of their revenue

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/google-lawsuit-inflating-video-ad-metrics-1235546090/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:allears: No comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

You’ll need to rip off some Libyans to get plutonium.

Great, now I need to find some used pinball parts