Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MasterBuilder posted:

I was asked to water my neighbours plants that are in coconut fiber planters while they were gone. I just did my normal thing sticking a finger in and watered about every 24-36 hours. They came back and said their plants look better than ever so no issue on that end.

But it got me thinking, is it even possible to over water plants in fiber planters? If you add more water than the soil can hold it just runs out the bottom. Like you would really have to try and constantly saturated the soil to over water. Am I thinking about this wrong?
Some plants don't like soil that is constantly moist and it can cause root rot or other problems, so it can be good to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, but I imagine the soil in those planters dries out a bit in that 24-36 hours, and/or whatever is planted in them doesn't mind wet feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some plants don't like soil that is constantly moist and it can cause root rot or other problems, so it can be good to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, but I imagine the soil in those planters dries out a bit in that 24-36 hours, and/or whatever is planted in them doesn't mind wet feet.

Okay. I was going to suggest to them to maybe water more frequently but I didn't want to talk out my rear end and googling "over watering coconut fiber" gave responses about using it as a growing medium.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
My succulent got very tall very fast. I set it against a wall today so it didn’t tip over.

How can I pot it up with minimal damage?

Will it grow more succulents if it falls over on top of soil/gritty mix?

That’s a 6” pot, I think. It was about two inches tall when I potted it in December.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
My guava, lemon, kumquat, and mango are all fruiting here in their second year in zone 6b, a solid year ahead of schedule; hoping they keep the fruit on.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

I was asked to water my neighbours plants that are in coconut fiber planters while they were gone. I just did my normal thing sticking a finger in and watered about every 24-36 hours. They came back and said their plants look better than ever so no issue on that end.

But it got me thinking, is it even possible to over water plants in fiber planters? If you add more water than the soil can hold it just runs out the bottom. Like you would really have to try and constantly saturated the soil to over water. Am I thinking about this wrong?

You can "overwater" plants in virtually any medium or container. The problem isn't the amount of water per se, it's that soil that remains saturated for too long A) starves the roots of oxygen and B) encourages the growth of pathogens. You're right that you'd have to make an effort to overwater plants in a coconut fiber planter, but it could happen. If you planted a small plant in a big planter, for example, you could have issues with the roots not being able to reach and suck up the water at the lowest, wettest part of the planter. Having a big wet rootless zone at the bottom of a container, especially if the soil is dense, creates favorable conditions for root rot.

Ghost Cactus posted:

My succulent got very tall very fast. I set it against a wall today so it didn’t tip over.

How can I pot it up with minimal damage?

Will it grow more succulents if it falls over on top of soil/gritty mix?

That’s a 6” pot, I think. It was about two inches tall when I potted it in December.

Your plant has grown tall because it's stretching out to get more light. If you move it just a few inches from that corner so it's directly in front of that sunny window, the new growth at the top will start coming in more compact. You can pot it up if you want, but I'd be worried about it falling over eventually. Thankfully, you can do pretty much whatever you want to it. If you chop it at any point along the stem, new roots will grow from the base of the top cutting and new leaves will grow from the top of the bottom cutting. You could take the top cutting and plant it, or throw it away.

You can also (probably) propagate this plant from leaves. If you remove a leaf and stick it on top of the soil, it will eventually grow roots and become a whole new plant. If you do this, try to pull the leaf out as close to the stem as possible so you remove the entire leaf, not just a chunk of it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Troutful posted:

Your plant has grown tall because it's stretching out to get more light. If you move it just a few inches from that corner so it's directly in front of that sunny window, the new growth at the top will start coming in more compact. You can pot it up if you want, but I'd be worried about it falling over eventually. Thankfully, you can do pretty much whatever you want to it. If you chop it at any point along the stem, new roots will grow from the base of the top cutting and new leaves will grow from the top of the bottom cutting. You could take the top cutting and plant it, or throw it away.

You can also (probably) propagate this plant from leaves. If you remove a leaf and stick it on top of the soil, it will eventually grow roots and become a whole new plant. If you do this, try to pull the leaf out as close to the stem as possible so you remove the entire leaf, not just a chunk of it.

What he said. I blew up a couple plants I had and have been propagating for a couple months. Pretty neat to see it in action.

Picking up dropped leaves from plants at big box stores is also an easy way to acquire/propagate succulents if you're particularly frugal/unscrupulous.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Y'all my stapelia is gonna bloom soon!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sooooo many of my houseplants are blooming right now, it freaking rules. And we've had a rather wet summer so far in MI so the gardens look amazing. Hoping to get a lot more work done this weekend, then pics!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mother nature checked my house plant hubris and sent a wind shear to my front porch. Luckily the dracaena didn't get damaged at all... but the jade on the other hand... Looks like I've got three pots with jade now

I cleaned her up last night and washed off the broken branches, gonna let the ends heal a bit then repot them. The one branch that still has smaller branches on it needs to be trimmed because it's extremely unbalanced now :(

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
What would spent coffee grounds do to a plant, if sprinkled pretty irregularly? Thinking a light dusting on a monthly watering for a small jade...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Get moldy, probably

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What would spent coffee grounds do to a plant, if sprinkled pretty irregularly? Thinking a light dusting on a monthly watering for a small jade...

Leaves would perk up pretty quickly but would droop about an hour later. After repeated treatments the plant would become physically dependent and wouldn't be able to handle a sunny day until after a strong cuppa joe.

Serious answer: Apparently coffee grounds don't lower the pH of soil and they don't necessarily provide enough macro or micro nutrients to be beneficial. Unless you want to kill slugs which apparently coffee grounds is great at. What are you attempting to accomplish by putting coffee grounds

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

MasterBuilder posted:

Apparently coffee grounds don't lower the pH of soil
Neat! I definitely thought otherwise.

If you just want to save your coffee grinds from the landfill, they certainly compost well.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The coffee grounds are more for the worms than anything else. They go into your compost quite nicely as pointed out above.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

MasterBuilder posted:

Leaves would perk up pretty quickly but would droop about an hour later. After repeated treatments the plant would become physically dependent and wouldn't be able to handle a sunny day until after a strong cuppa joe.

Serious answer: Apparently coffee grounds don't lower the pH of soil and they don't necessarily provide enough macro or micro nutrients to be beneficial. Unless you want to kill slugs which apparently coffee grounds is great at. What are you attempting to accomplish by putting coffee grounds

I have coffee and a couple plants. :shrug: figured I'd ask before I do something. Maybe it would help the little fellas. I just inherited these jades and I'm pretty clueless.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Troutful posted:

Cheers, I’ll do that. Good to know it won’t mind if I lop off the top.

All the plants in that pot (and six others) are propagated from one plant. The windows get cold in the winter so I moved these a few feet away and made tall plants by accident.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have coffee and a couple plants. :shrug: figured I'd ask before I do something. Maybe it would help the little fellas. I just inherited these jades and I'm pretty clueless.

You can put them outside in the garden and they’ll disappear quickly, but don’t put them in indoor plants. They won’t compost and will just smell bad for ages. You can bury them into garden beds if you want too and rodents/pests will ignore them if you put them in an outdoor heap.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Jhet posted:

You can put them outside in the garden and they’ll disappear quickly, but don’t put them in indoor plants. They won’t compost and will just smell bad for ages. You can bury them into garden beds if you want too and rodents/pests will ignore them if you put them in an outdoor heap.

Dope, thanks. I knew they'd be a use for coffee grounds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What have y'all had success with for spider mites? I've somehow avoided them for years, but a philodendron I got recently came with some. I tried diatomaceous earth because I already had some on hand, but they keep coming back. I have some neem oil too, but I've never had good luck with it. Miticide is expensive. Predatory mites seem overly complicated.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What have y'all had success with for spider mites? I've somehow avoided them for years, but a philodendron I got recently came with some. I tried diatomaceous earth because I already had some on hand, but they keep coming back. I have some neem oil too, but I've never had good luck with it. Miticide is expensive. Predatory mites seem overly complicated.

I had good luck with spinosad the one time I got some on my tomatoes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, seriously? Spinosad is usually my go-to, but for some reason I thought it didn't work on mites. Everyone on youtube and reddit suggests the most complicated solutions.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

spinosad is what I've used for mites vs neem. neem is way better as a fungicide

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh, seriously? Spinosad is usually my go-to, but for some reason I thought it didn't work on mites. Everyone on youtube and reddit suggests the most complicated solutions.
Googling has gotten me somewhat conflicting answers, but it definitely kills spider mites in some studies.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17899400/
https://www.missouribotanicalgarden...icides/spinosad

Apparently it can even be used systemically?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16180075/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have some, so I'll try it tomorrow (and continue applying every few days for a week or so). And I'll try to remember to share the results.

The DE was working fine, but it's a pain in the rear end to dust the thing and then clean it off. Not the kind of thing you want to do repeatedly to a houseplant.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

spidermites also don't like moisture so sometimes spraying with water regularly can help as well

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You can also use the force of the water itself, beyond just the moisture. I like a good blast with the hose, followed then by spinosad or pyrethrin after it dries. Usually there's another outbreak after a few months though. I don't think I've ever quite achieved full eradication. Usually I go pyrethrin over spinosad because of those same studies. I swear by spinosad for thrips though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got my first plant, a money tree, from Ikea on April 2, so it's been 4 months:

Ikea said I didn't need to repot for a year but this is looking kinda sus:

Also it's at an angle:

The current planter is 9.5". Should I get a 12" or something bigger? Do I need a liner like the plastic one my money tree came in or can I just buy some potting soil and throw it in something with a drainage hole and tray and call it a day?

A couple months ago, I tried looking for a larger planter that fit my decor and wasn't a million dollars and this 16" for $40 from Home Depot seemed to fit the bill:

But it's plastic (maybe not a problem?) and in reality the wood was unfinished and dirty looking. Plus I can't fit a tray for the drainage hole but maybe at that size I don't need one, especially since I only water my plant with 1L of water once a week?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 31, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whys it on a chair? Teabagging a less fortunate trees corpse

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Whys it on a chair? Teabagging a less fortunate trees corpse
I couldn't find a planter stand I liked so this was a temporary solution. Target does have this marble side table for $90 that I think would be a good permanent option, I just haven't bought it yet. It's 20" tall and 19.5" wide so should accommodate any larger planter I'd get:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 31, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Rotate that boy to straighten him out.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I got my first plant, a money tree, from Ikea on April 2, so it's been 4 months:

Ikea said I didn't need to repot for a year but this is looking kinda sus:

Also it's at an angle:

The current planter is 9.5". Should I get a 12" or something bigger? Do I need a liner like the plastic one my money tree came in or can I just buy some potting soil and throw it in something with a drainage hole and tray and call it a day?

A couple months ago, I tried looking for a larger planter that fit my decor and wasn't a million dollars and this 16" for $40 from Home Depot seemed to fit the bill:

But it's plastic (maybe not a problem?) and in reality the wood was unfinished and dirty looking. Plus I can't fit a tray for the drainage hole but maybe at that size I don't need one, especially since I only water my plant with 1L of water once a week?

Drainage is not just about letting the water drip out, it's also allowing for airflow so the water doesn't just pool at the bottom and become fetid. As long as you make sure to take it out of the planter when you water, let it finish dripping and then put it back in, you will be fine, but don't plant it in a non-draining pot or regularly water it in said pot.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Tremors posted:

Y'all my stapelia is gonna bloom soon!

It finally happened!

Dunno what happened to the colors but here's my poor attempt at a timelapse.
https://i.imgur.com/vDcEvoJ.mp4

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

Rotate that boy to straighten him out.
I rotate him 90* every week. The uneven growth displayed in the photo is the result of taking a 2 week vacation.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Plastic planters are fine as long as you use them as an outer pot and keep the actual soil in a smaller inner pot with drainage holes.

A pro-tip from my mom is to use 2x3 thick Lego blocks to raise the inner pot up off the bottom of your pretty pot. It lets air circulate and any excess water drip out and evaporate. You can buy purpose made feet for the same thing, but why do that when you can steal your children's toys?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Also going from 9.5" to 12" is pretty much the usual step, provided you want him to keep growing.

You could always just saw off the bottom couple inches of roots if it's particularly rootbound and repot to keep it more or less the same size.

This basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-bTXd5QOF0

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my bamboo palm has this yellow-green caky stuff in the soil. Does this mean I should change the soil?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks like mold to me. The soil is probably fine, put a handful of mulch on top and try to keep it less moist.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
just a lil’ fungus, totally normal and harmless

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Very floral around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Looks like mold to me. The soil is probably fine, put a handful of mulch on top and try to keep it less moist.

thanks, maybe i overwatered a bit. i haven't replaced the soil in a long time and I have some extra, so that's why i asked.