Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'm not seeing the problem here, the oceans are full of wonderful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Josuke is definitely number one, with maybe Jolene if I'm willing to risk crime happening. Jonathan would be very polite but boring, Joseph is too high energy all the time and he runs the risk of saying some poo poo that makes the whole rest of the afternoon super awkward, Jotaro is out for obvious reasons, and Giorno's a total wet blanket. I could maybe hang with Johnny but he's super abrasive and the area I live in isn't super wheelchair accessible. Gappy is a maybe but he kind of has bad vibes. And I'm not with it enough to hang with Dragona, but if I got the chance I'm sure we'd have some fun conversations, while Jodio seems like we'd both be happier for me to keep my distance while being in the same room at a family gathering

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hanging with Jodio would be hella fun.

You'd just be like "drat, I'm thirsty, I might go grab a coke" and he'd show up with a McDonalds refill machine 5 minutes later and then 3 minutes after that realise there's none of the syrup in it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darko posted:

Old Joseph would be the best to hang out with because he's super rich and still.fun and a giant goofball. You'd end up in a Bizarre evening just for being around him.

as long as you aren't/don't meet any asians

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yinlock posted:

as long as you aren't/don't meet any asians

Josuke's mom would beg to differ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Joseph made up his racism against the japanese to cover up his affair.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Stairmaster posted:

Joseph made up his racism against the japanese to cover up his affair.

:hmmyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Being a real estate tycoon from New York, did Joseph ever run for president?

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Waffleman_ posted:

Being a real estate tycoon from New York, did Joseph ever run for president?

Sadly not being a natural born citizen barred that option. Now John, that was someone who could really run from a president.

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 26, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vise the Stompy posted:

Sadly not being a natural born citizen barred that option. Now John, that was someone who could really run from a president.

If it didn't stop Ted Cruz, it wouldn't have stopped America's Jojo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Ted Cruz's mom was a US Citizen, while Lisa Lisa... I'm pretty sure isn't, I dunno she was adopted by a magic Tibetan monk and mostly lived in England when she wasn't a wanted criminal.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

Joseph really is the first American Jojo, I don't care how confused Araki was when he said he was english. Every single thing he does is American as gently caress, it's clear Araki was thinking of Americans when writing Joseph, especially in the first few chapters

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Joseph is the first american jojo but he's not the most american jojo.

Italian-American Florida Woman is the most american jojo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If my passing familiarity with social media is any indication, the most American Jojo is the teenager that hates the police and encourages his friends to be gay and do crimes.

Except, y'know, he actually does crime.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i think the actual cowboy is the most american jojo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I dunno, he DID shoot the President.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The most American characters ever are Senator Armstrong and Funny Valentine. Anyone going against either are the least American ever by default.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

If my passing familiarity with social media is any indication, the most American Jojo is the teenager that hates the police and encourages his friends to be gay and do crimes.

Except, y'know, he actually does crime.

Joseph is your prototypical American Alt-Righter, because he's inexplicably concealed carrying an assault rifle in a place that has no known danger and verifiably hangs out with Nazis.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Joseph is your prototypical American Alt-Righter, because he's inexplicably concealed carrying an assault rifle in a place that has no known danger and verifiably hangs out with Nazis.

I only just realized that description works as well for Joseph as it does for Jodio. :v:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How many alt-righters do you know who would gently caress up some cops to help a black kid?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah he's in a weird libertarian/radlib fusion kinda space

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also this was pre-war, and Americans didn't really care about the Nazis until Pearl Harbor.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Also this was pre-war, and Americans didn't really care about the Nazis until Pearl Harbor.

I mean, there was a full-on fascist and anti-semitic movement of "America First" people who wanted to keep the US out of the war, because they liked the Nazis and what they were doing.

Dr Seuss did a lot of political cartoons about it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Joseph demonstrably hates racists, and all his interactions with Nazis are either loving with them Bugs Bunny style, or barely tolerating their presence as an ally of convenience when dealing with literal Ubermenschen. Even Stroheim only gets grudging respect for his sheer willingness to dismember himself to help clean up messes HE causes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also by the point in time that Battle Tendency takes place, the members of the German American Bund (i.e. American Nazis) are frequently getting beaten up by jewish mobsters in the streets of New York, so yeah I don't think Joseph is down with Nazis outside of stopping the Pillar Men.

Caeser Zeppeli, on the other hand... :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It always seemed to me like part 2 drew a lot of inspiration from Indiana Jones, and the role the Nazis play in it makes perfect sense from that angle: They discover some supernatural power/entities beyond their ability, gently caress around a bunch, and find out, several times.

Because of this, there's a lot of Nazis around helping to drive the plot with their arrogant bumbling. But because it's Jojo, anyone who gets more than a certain amount of attention has to get their big awesome dramatic moment(s). Unfortunately this means that despite being the lead rep of a minor antagonist group, and despite Joseph's own personal feelings and attitudes, the comic itself (ie Araki) gives Stroheim a few special cool-pose, highly detailed panels and cheer moments, and as a result their (mostly) antagonistic role in the story gets muddied

e: Now Caesar? Yeah that guy's PNF no doubt in my mind

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waamu was the good guy in the fight with Caesar. :v:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

right but then he's like "and so Strolheim went to Stalingrad and loving Died"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Patware posted:

right but then he's like "and so Strolheim went to Stalingrad and loving Died"

And then the Nazis who made Strohein into a cyborg got Operation Paperclip'd, and went on to build the Six Million Dollar Man.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Asterite34 posted:

And then the Nazis who made Strohein into a cyborg got Operation Paperclip'd, and went on to build the Six Million Dollar Man Joseph's prosthetic arm that he constantly needs replacements for.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
In conclusion, Joseph Joestar is a land of contrasts.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Joseph hates Japan because he's american, and while anti-German WW2 propaganda portrayed nazis as beautiful men with a difference in opinions, anti-Japanese propaganda portrayed them like vermin to be exterminated

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonwagon posted:

How many alt-righters do you know who would gently caress up some cops to help a black kid?

i said prototype not finished model

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

goblin week posted:

Joseph hates Japan because he's american, and while anti-German WW2 propaganda portrayed nazis as beautiful men with a difference in opinions, anti-Japanese propaganda portrayed them like vermin to be exterminated

I thought he just hated Japan because his daughter moved there and he doesn't get to see her as much now. Plus, you know, it reminds him of his indiscretion that one time.

Now India? There's a place he actually is kinda racist against

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Now India? There's a place he actually is kinda racist against

He is English, after all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joseph is right to hate the Japanese, they turned his daughter into a weeb.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

goblin week posted:

Joseph reading a poster and going "'work hard'? Oh no! This is the worst thing I've seen today!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/tinyklaus/status/1687095143688450048?s=20

oh no

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sora! Koboreochita futatsu no hoshi ga........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Put it next to the emerald mask found in Mexico and the coffin full of blood in Egypt.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 17, 2023