Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ty did not actually write the books. He's able to start, finish, and have adapted an "expansive" genre series where GRRM isn't, but you look at the prose in the Expanse and there's no way he wrote the Broken Men speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Trudis posted:

No Ty was the guy who wrote the books. According to this thread, at least.

Also Elden Ring.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I read through every book of The Expanse and did not enjoy it.

It's me. I'm the idiot.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Trivia posted:

I read through every book of The Expanse and did not enjoy it.

It's me. I'm the idiot.

I have not read the books, but I really like the series

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Anders posted:

I have not read the books, but I really like the series

It's fine, but the first book will make you want to claw your eyes out every time you see the phrase "vomit zombie", which is what they call folks infected with the protomolecule. It's used relentlessly.

All in all, I don't regret reading it. Could have been shorter, though.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Devorum posted:

"vomit zombie"

Tbf, vomit zombie is probably a term he invented while cleaning cum-, and lemoncake crust from a passed out GURM

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

La Louve Rouge posted:

Ty did not actually write the books. He's able to start, finish, and have adapted an "expansive" genre series where GRRM isn't, but you look at the prose in the Expanse and there's no way he wrote the Broken Men speech

I can believe that Ty contributed in some way to Feast and Dance, even if only as a sounding board or a hype man to motivate GRRM to actually work. I don't think he ghostwrote them. GRRM's minuscule output did seem to fall to absolute zero once Ty left, though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LiterallyATomato posted:

I want the one of him glaring at young Maisie Williams with the caption "SOON."

Different actress but I think you mean this one?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Zedd posted:

Haha, yes!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedd posted:

How can something be so creepy and so funny at the same time

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Devorum posted:

It's fine, but the first book will make you want to claw your eyes out every time you see the phrase "vomit zombie", which is what they call folks infected with the protomolecule. It's used relentlessly.

All in all, I don't regret reading it. Could have been shorter, though.

I'm planning on reading it soon and this is good info since I can ctrl+h the phrase in the epub to something less annoying

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Does anyone remember this cringey poo poo?

https://youtu.be/M3vcReSWDY8

"We want to make a Game of Thrones parody video but the only place we can shoot it is Frank's mom's backyard. Let's just make it a kid's birthday party?"

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

LiterallyATomato posted:

Does anyone remember this cringey poo poo?

https://youtu.be/M3vcReSWDY8

"We want to make a Game of Thrones parody video but the only place we can shoot it is Frank's mom's backyard. Let's just make it a kid's birthday party?"

This is so weird. The setting, the mixture of bad, store brand ERB verses with faux-Evanescence vocals, the low energy intro...just a big stew of awful.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s got 2.4 million views and all the comments gush over it so maybe we’re the dumb ones.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s got 2.4 million views and all the comments gush over it so maybe we’re the dumb ones.

Yes. "My jizz looks like baking soda." Very clever and witty.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Plus we all know Pycelle shoots monster ropes that would make Ser Gregor jealous.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm old enough to remember thinking the Iraq invasion must really have thrown a wrench in the White Savior plotline he had planned for Dany.

we're about to hit the one decade anniversary of the Dany crowdsurfing white saviour scene airing

books completed: -

I didn't even read the books until after season 2 of show started, I can't imagine how bizarre it must be for y'all who trusted the fat man back in 96.

Zedd posted:

this woman was not born when gurm published the first book

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yes.

But her Grandchildren will be born before the next book comes out, so karmically it all balances out. :colbert:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

we're about to hit the one decade anniversary of the Dany crowdsurfing white saviour scene airing

books completed: -

I didn't even read the books until after season 2 of show started, I can't imagine how bizarre it must be for y'all who trusted the fat man back in 96.

this woman was not born when gurm published the first book

I was recommended it in 2001 ish by a friend who mocked the wheel of time for scope creep and never finishing. lol. lmao.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

mark immune posted:

mocked the wheel of time for scope creep and never finishing. lol. lmao.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2023

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Real talk: do we know from anything in the books what the relationship was like between Bobby B and Tywin Lannister?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Real talk: do we know from anything in the books what the relationship was like between Bobby B and Tywin Lannister?

Besides the stuff from the rebellion and marrying Cersei? Like, what was their relationship before that?

I think Bobby B was mostly just dicking around the Eyrie with Ned, and just dicking down in general since he has adult bastards there in GoT when Catelyn comes through.

Like they probably were aware of each other and might have met, but do we have a reason to assume they even had much of a relationship?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Tywin expected to be made Hand after betraying Aerys, Robert of course had other plans and Tywin took it as a slight, but he was willing to play nice as long as he gets to have his grandson sit on the iron throne, but we know he was pretty much sulking in casterly rock for over a decade.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

mark immune posted:

I was recommended it in 2001 ish by a friend who mocked the wheel of time for scope creep and never finishing. lol. lmao.

I got recommend it on the AOL Wheel of Time message boards in like '97. Seems like a lifetime ago, but I do remember after Swords came out everyone was like "yeah, this guy is going to have his series finished waaay before Wheel...no slog in these books!".

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

mark immune posted:

Tbf, that was when GURM had published 3 books in 4 years while we'd just had a WoT book consisting of three chapters per character sans Rand where they just were traveling and then in the end of the book Rand did something huge without any sort of build up

At least Sanderson was given an actual end to the story

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Devorum posted:

I got recommend it on the AOL Wheel of Time message boards in like '97. Seems like a lifetime ago, but I do remember after Swords came out everyone was like "yeah, this guy is going to have his series finished waaay before Wheel...no slog in these books!".

I don't really know a lot about Wheel of Time so this just keeps getting funnier and funnier to me

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mark immune posted:

That was me, and I hereby formally apologize.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Gotta figure Tywin saw Robert as a useful idiot who took out the Targs, but one that he had to at least pretend to respect since Robert won a war that by all rights he should've lost and was tight with major lords of the North, Vale, and Riverlands. IIRC Robert doesn't ever speak ill of Tywin in the books in part because he recognized the Lannister role in clearing his path to the throne (i.e. removing Elia and the kids) and then funding his reign, but he doesn't seem to be particularly afraid or disdainful of the guy either. They were both known quantities to the other and could live with the status quo, so why create unnecessary friction.

IDK that it makes sense to assume Tywin wanted to be Robert's hand though, since he already had a ton of influence through bankrolling the crown and elevating Cersei to be queen. What I don't get is why Tywin never asked for Robert to discharge Jamie from the Kingsguard - it would've made 100% sense to do right after the rebellion ended, it would've given Tywin back his preferred heir, and can't imagine it would've been a hard sell to Robert. Maybe Tywin just didn't think he had the clout to get that and marry off Cersei.

mark immune posted:

Yeah this was also how I got introduced to the books around like 2008/2009. Old army buddy of mine would always laugh when I would be waiting for the next WoT book to drop, and tell me to check out this GRRM guy who just rapid fires out huge intricate novels.

Oh how the tables they have turned.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 28, 2023

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

ASoIaF: this GRRM guy rapid fires out huge intricate novels.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I'm tired of Literally A Person stealing my username thunder, so I'm going to change my name to Nightmerys.

Taking all suggestions for avatar images and text.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

LiterallyATomato posted:

I'm tired of Literally A Person stealing my username thunder, so I'm going to change my name to Nightmerys.

Taking all suggestions for avatar images and text.

Nobody outside of this thread will get it anyway, the name "Daenerys" has no recognition whatsoever.

"Khaleesi," on the other hand, is quite popular and has been used as the name for a significant number of children :getin:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

People are dumb as rocks.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

When Robert was in his cups (which was always) he’d talk about how Tywin hid under Casterly Rock while the Rebellion was won in the field. It’s a political alliance, nothing more, but probably a necessary one to contain the Reach.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Nobody outside of this thread will get it anyway, the name "Daenerys" has no recognition whatsoever.

"Khaleesi," on the other hand, is quite popular and has been used as the name for a significant number of children :getin:

"Kelly C"

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Carl Drogo

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Now I can't stop thinking about Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force leading a nation of horse warriors.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I had to google it and lmao "Khaleesi" was still the name of almost 700 newborn girls in the US last year. Who is doing this

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had to google it and lmao "Khaleesi" was still the name of almost 700 newborn girls in the US last year. Who is doing this

"I'm basing my child's name on the part of the show that came from the books. Surely when the final books come out, he won't make Daenerys evil and mad with power!"

(the final books won't come out)
(they wouldn't read them if they did)
(also the books foreshadowed her Mad Queen tendencies much harder anyway)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm willing to bet most, of not all, of those girls are white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm willing to bet most, of not all, of those girls are white

What was your first hint.

And I say this as the shameful uncle of a “Mackenzie”.