Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Grendels Dad posted:

This Orson Welles quote is still the best:

haha savage

I feel called out from beyond the grave by the big man (he's right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fr0id posted:

The krypton part of MoS still sucks though.

This post makes me think about the North Atlantic ocean heat chart, Krypton is barely fiction

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Jesse, what the gently caress is a multiverse?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi5_cqYMxxM

La Louve Rouge posted:

This post makes me think about the North Atlantic ocean heat chart, Krypton is barely fiction
Have we ever gotten a Krypton that doesn't explode immediately, but instead takes like 50 years? But all the while the crust is breaking up and lava is bubbling up to the surface with increasing regularity?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 26, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, we're living on it

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

fr0id posted:

I tuned in to see how people felt about the caring about Snyder skin to patriarchy joke and yeah gently caress that. It’s ironic that Snyder’s first superhero film was watchmen, because he did far more interesting deconstructions of heroes given the much “straighter” material of Superman and Batman movies. The krypton part of MoS still sucks though.

I still don’t understand this complaint. Was it too long? Too focused on action? Didn’t serve the plot? It just feels weird to complain about a sci-fi movie having classic sci-fi tropes.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you not dig Jor-El's flying horse alien, that's my other question

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
You mean H'raka? I love H'raka. Big H'raka guy over here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Armond White’s claim to fame is that he was the only reviewer listed on Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com to rank Toy Story 3 as ‘rotten’ (i.e. below 60%). Doing so denied the film a ‘perfect score’ and, in the hype surrounding the Disney-Pixar movie where WOODY AND BUZZ LIGHTYEAR (almost) DIE AT THE END, fans were infuriated and other outlets were reporting breathlessly on the bizarre deviation. As White himself later recounts it, it was simply a critique of consumerist ideology:

“My heretical point, when writing about Toy Story 3, was that this insulting franchise delimited movies — particularly those targeted at children — as no longer expressive art but mere products synonymous with toys and the utility of toys: All reflection and imagination is left to the manufacturer. There’s nothing for the viewer to do but worship the formula.”

Scorsese!

Fascinatingly, White complains that his ‘anti-American’ review was attacked for being too ‘woke’ (though he would never use these terms on himself) - comparing the outrage to right-wing reactions against figures like Ilhan Omar and Colin Kaepernik. That’s (half-)sarcasm on his part, but still points to White’s appeal at the time: implicitly, not even evil radical libs like Omar would go so far as to dis Disney-Pixar at the height of its influence!

Couldn't help but think about this post seeing this news lol

https://twitter.com/popbase/status/1684254204091564039?s=46&t=W7FVnypR7n4wir0kfXw7_w

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s not real right

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Make Uno like Would You Rather

Also, cast Jeffrey Combs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

But UNO the movie already exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-bvbdUc8E&t=5s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT725bI1LMc

Never gonna top the Anime UNO scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA8ncpPKFTw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol. Happy they got their Superman finally, I guess. I guess Snyder's Superman was holding him hostage or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Lol. Happy they got their Superman finally, I guess. I guess Snyder's Superman was holding him hostage or something.
Well you see in the new Superman cartoon he gets a space onesie outfit like MoS but THEN his mom makes him put on some red undies and a yellow belt over it to complete the classic look so that's how you know its the REAL SUPERMAN

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snyder just laughing like a madman as he holds matches and a can of gasoline over all of the Superman comics. "You won't get to adapt this character, see! If I can't no one will! Such is the Ayn Rand way!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

Supermanime

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

What's he gunna cry and beat up now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Superman can't be saccharine" is a heck of a take.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
[sudden moment of realisation]

The Discourse is never gonna end, is it?

In fact, we're going to have another two years of it, at least. Minus two weeks or so.

:yikes: :ohno:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not going to end until they kill the Joss Whedon in their heads.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

[sudden moment of realisation]

The Discourse is never gonna end, is it?

In fact, we're going to have another two years of it, at least. Minus two weeks or so.

:yikes: :ohno:

It won't end as long as grifters can use Snyder for clicks

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Apologies if I'm wrong but, I mean, isn't the entire pathos of that film built around Dr Horrible getting inducted into the league of evil and everything he ever wanted, but it only cost him the love of his life? Like, it's practically transparent. Like Darko says, it's typical nice guy mentality.

He got everything he wanted and it only cost him a penny. See, that's Whedon being "clever"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Post more rebel moon pics Zack!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Equeen posted:

I still don’t understand this complaint. Was it too long? Too focused on action? Didn’t serve the plot? It just feels weird to complain about a sci-fi movie having classic sci-fi tropes.

It just felt like a ton of special effects flying at the screen with very little that I felt any emotional connection to. Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon it felt like had barely any time to act between big CGI set pieces and scifi jargon dialogue. It felt way too focused on action and special effects, yes, and given that I felt no real connection to it, felt boring. Like, I already know what’s going to happen.

I guess if I had to make a comparison it would be like if a Spider-Man movie started with a 10 minute scene of Uncle Ben fighting with muggers and getting in a car chase, yet was somehow not ridiculous enough to be entertaining.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I get the complaint, at least for a first viewing it's a lot to take in and the storytelling goes by a little too fast. But on subsequent watches, once you have more insight into the relationship between zod and jor el that's spelled out by the rest of the movie, it owns and I wish they spent longer in this crazy sci-fi world and its incredible production design

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

fr0id posted:

It just felt like a ton of special effects flying at the screen with very little that I felt any emotional connection to.

This made it almost a strength for me and was why I liked it. It evoked this like very simple Flash Gordon esque adventure serial to me but with the extra layer of the environmental message, the phallic escape ships, etc. Like a suitable pulpy beginning for a long past Superman-adjacent adventure. But then it also weighs more heavily with how what went down with Krypton is weaved into how things play out in the rest of the movie.

At the same time I get why it's polarizing. I think almost anyone I talk to about Man of Steel either loves or hates that opening with little in between.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I didn't care for it just because I think the Krypton stuff is all inherently very silly. It did a good job of conveying the motivation for everything but trying to put a super serious coat of paint on something that conceptually still feels pretty campy just took me out of it. The earth stuff was consistently more interesting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

shoeberto posted:

trying to put a super serious coat of paint on something that conceptually still feels pretty campy

yeah it owns

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

shoeberto posted:

I didn't care for it just because I think the Krypton stuff is all inherently very silly. It did a good job of conveying the motivation for everything but trying to put a super serious coat of paint on something that conceptually still feels pretty campy just took me out of it. The earth stuff was consistently more interesting.

For us the audience it’s a silly concept, but it makes complete sense for the characters within the narrative to take their planet’s imminent demise very seriously.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The ocean is hitting triple digits, it doesn't seem that silly to me. It's all context.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Equeen posted:

For us the audience it’s a silly concept, but it makes complete sense for the characters within the narrative to take their planet’s imminent demise very seriously.

That's why I can't say I hated it, but I was really really ready for it to be over.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The ocean is hitting triple digits, it doesn't seem that silly to me. It's all context.

Earth’s been the hottest since like 120,000 years ago. We are all toast. Literally.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Krypton is Earth, down to endlessly relitigating questions about reproduction and societal control beyond the point where there would be a society for children to grow into

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And the many dead space colonies Earth is known for

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

And the many dead space colonies Earth is known for

We've got one, that's enough.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

10 years later and Synder is still living rent free in their heads.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

La Louve Rouge posted:

Krypton is Earth, down to endlessly relitigating questions about reproduction and societal control beyond the point where there would be a society for children to grow into

Pretty much this. Politicians ignore science as inconvenient, groups of armed thugs are forming to protect "pure" bloodlines, and it feels like we're running out of options.

People hate MoS because it holds a mirror up to the world and asks, "How can just one man save our world? He can't do it alone. Not unless we join him in the sun."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogus Adventure posted:

Pretty much this. Politicians ignore science as inconvenient, groups of armed thugs are forming to protect "pure" bloodlines, and it feels like we're running out of options.

People hate MoS because it holds a mirror up to the world and asks, "How can just one man save our world? He can't do it alone. Not unless we join him in the sun."

We need less sun though the planet's too hot

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

Do you sincerely believe that?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I love the krypton sequence to bits because its such economic storytelling. In the span of 15 minutes it shows us everything we could possibly want to know about Krypton, its society, Zod and Jor-El. Note I said show, not tell. It's an amazing introduction where even the sets and architecture help tell a story about what kind of a society the kryptonians were. It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

RBA Starblade posted:

We need less sun though the planet's too hot

Yes but if enough people go into the sun it will block it out right. Just need more people first.