Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not a fan of how easily she jobbed to grunts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shibatarian: Watari having a weird fever after she was given the pill that turn people into Shibatas is surely nothing ominous. And their middle school teacher just fortuitously appearing when they need a lift, while looking suspiciously similar to a Shibata is surely nothing suspicious.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shibatarian: Watari having a weird fever after she was given the pill that turn people into Shibatas is surely nothing ominous. And their middle school teacher just fortuitously appearing when they need a lift, while looking suspiciously similar to a Shibata is surely nothing suspicious.

I was just happy that the MC's sudden ineptitude in wanting to definitely absolutely go alone and leave Watari out of sight with the cops while he tackles the situation alone didn't actually come to pass since that would've been ridiculously dumb.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Started reading Undead Unluck last night. The fanservice is kind of out-of-control in these early chapters but I'm glad I stuck with it through chapter 10 at least because I really liked how the Gina fight ended and then chapter 9 reveals the setting to be absolutely buck loving wild.

WE HAVE TO FIND AND KILL GOD.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Started reading Undead Unluck last night. The fanservice is kind of out-of-control in these early chapters but I'm glad I stuck with it through chapter 10 at least because I really liked how the Gina fight ended and then chapter 9 reveals the setting to be absolutely buck loving wild.

WE HAVE TO FIND AND KILL GOD.

The first chapters loving blow but it gets much nuch better

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah the fanservice stuff is mostly early on and then it just becomes a really fun character book.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double: Nobody expected the MC bisected another man all so he could go to the beach. I liked the small detail of the MC going into combat mode when who I am now going to predict will turn out to be best girl makes her intro.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I’m liking Wild Strawberry so far. Yeah it’s basically The Last Of Us meets Chainsawman but those are some pretty good things to take inspiration from and despite the easy/obvious comparisons it doesn’t feel derivative. Very early days though.

Darth TNT posted:

Undead unluck: has been so good. This high school arc is going to be Batshit crazy. Gotta point out Billy is holding a history book despite being blind.
lol at Fuuko still stringing along Feng

Fuuko tricking Feng is great yeah. But I kind of feel the cast is a bit bloated at this point. Some of the characters are pretty impactful and fun, but some of the other ones it feels like they don’t really do anything and just kind of exist.

I’d honestly forgotten who Sean was and had to look it up. And across both loops I think Phil has only really been meaningful when he was being recruited.

And this is roughly the half way point on assembling all the negators, so I imagine the problem will gradually get worse. And okay sure the limited roster for missions does mean the cast gets trimmed down as they fight specific threats, but still some of the characters are just a lot better than others.

Shinji2015 posted:

"She's basically a work of art. WAIT NO DON'T LOOK NO FALLING IN LOVE!!!"

Chinatsu is a classic shonen protag and Erina is her plucky kid sidekick, and the combination has a strong chance of overtaking Hamster Girl for the #2 spot for me at this rate

Clarste posted:

Not a fan of how easily she jobbed to grunts though.

Plucky kid sidekicks have like a 90% chance of being annoying, but Erina has been beating the odds so far yeah.

It does sort of feel like Chinatsu got beaten up by mooks just in order to give Gero something cool to do though. Which sort of defeats the point of how Kinosaki introduced her.

amigolupus posted:

Sachi's Records continue to own. Love the running gag of someone not believing in god right before he pops out to smooth things over.

I skipped on Sachi’s Records for a bit because the banner image really didn’t entice me, but liked it after giving it a chance.

Boros is the best character in it and has some great character moments in the first chapter (silently ripping a page out of his scoring book)

Ex chapter this week is pretty non-exciting though.

Elite fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 27, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/d9a70caa-03b9-4921-9084-140d4b0a1931/1

New Versus. The Giants are scary!!!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Zom 100 is missing a volume or so on the viz app. Anyone know what the deal is or if I'll be waiting long to see them?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

from my experience with series like chainsaw man, you can usually read missing app chapters on the website. there was probably enough titty for the chaps to be flagged. ps certain series like fire punch are website-only if you didn’t already know

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A lot of series on Viz are missing chapters in the middle, seems to be something along the lines of "The stuff that we already published in volumes" and "The stuff where we started simulpubbing". It'll get added in as they finish and release the new volumes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Zom 100 is missing a volume or so on the viz app. Anyone know what the deal is or if I'll be waiting long to see them?

They haven’t managed to get that stuff onto the site. As for how long it will take. Long, they actually already added a batch, and they have a gap on “How do we Relationship” that hasn’t gotten any filled in yet since the app started running. So it’s probably going to be a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They still haven't managed to get all of Jojo Part 5 up and it has been *years*

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

ImpAtom posted:

They still haven't managed to get all of Jojo Part 5 up and it has been *years*

they are still trying to figure out how King Crimson works

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They should watch the anime, big help in that regard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I know it's kind of the whole theme, but with this chapter it really emphasizes one of the things that makes it harder for me to get attached to the series, beyond it having spent most of its run so far just having everyone in a conference room.

It goes a bit too hard on the power gap to feel like there's anything interesting to the fights.

In something like early Attack on Titan, humans were screwed on a large scale, but there was always a chance to take down an individual Titan or escape on the individual scale. It meant that there was tension in individual fights, and that when someone no-sold one of humanity's trump cards then it made them look even scarier.

Here, the humans are so helpless that there's not really much excitement in them pulling out the Kikoho. It doesn't feel like there's maybe, maybe one shot for the heroes, if they gamble it all, making the losses hurt and the victories exciting. Without the moment of "Maybe, just maybe..." the defeats feel empty.

Still could work as a punchline, of course, but even at its most spectacle-fueled, One Punch Man feels much more like a comedy. This hasn't landed the jokes in the same way.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

they are still trying to figure out how King Crimson works

Uploading the chapters was erased and only the effect from uploading the chapters remains,

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elite posted:

Fuuko tricking Feng is great yeah. But I kind of feel the cast is a bit bloated at this point. Some of the characters are pretty impactful and fun, but some of the other ones it feels like they don’t really do anything and just kind of exist.

I’d honestly forgotten who Sean was and had to look it up. And across both loops I think Phil has only really been meaningful when he was being recruited.

And this is roughly the half way point on assembling all the negators, so I imagine the problem will gradually get worse. And okay sure the limited roster for missions does mean the cast gets trimmed down as they fight specific threats, but still some of the characters are just a lot better than others.

To be fair, that problem was also present in the previous loop. We basically only got to know Top, Unmove, Shen and Miu in the organization.
It’s starting to remind me of Dr Stone which also had the cast bloat problem but got around it somewhat by having characters participate in different missions.
I mean Sean literally existed for a single panel in the previous loop where he was decapitated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
watamote has been in a leadup arc to the school festival and making a film to show at said festival for what feels like a hundred loving chapters now(not that I minded, since it was a lot of fun with the entire cast)

well, they've begun screening the movie at the festival, finally and in typical watamote fashion, it's absolutely perfect

tomoko's student film is here to remind you that watamote still has serious cringe chops

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chiasaur11 posted:

I know it's kind of the whole theme, but with this chapter it really emphasizes one of the things that makes it harder for me to get attached to the series, beyond it having spent most of its run so far just having everyone in a conference room.

It goes a bit too hard on the power gap to feel like there's anything interesting to the fights.

In something like early Attack on Titan, humans were screwed on a large scale, but there was always a chance to take down an individual Titan or escape on the individual scale. It meant that there was tension in individual fights, and that when someone no-sold one of humanity's trump cards then it made them look even scarier.

Here, the humans are so helpless that there's not really much excitement in them pulling out the Kikoho. It doesn't feel like there's maybe, maybe one shot for the heroes, if they gamble it all, making the losses hurt and the victories exciting. Without the moment of "Maybe, just maybe..." the defeats feel empty.

Still could work as a punchline, of course, but even at its most spectacle-fueled, One Punch Man feels much more like a comedy. This hasn't landed the jokes in the same way.

Yeah, the power gap's a huge problem. I think at the beginning, the idea of people being helpless to their own world's calamities but being able to do something about another world's problems was really interesting, but currently it's just shades of "well, we're all hosed" because of how quickly the power gap expanded

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
In Versus I don't think the power gap is a problem at all. The humans are really there as observers so it doesn't really matter whether they can square up themselves or not. I found the initial fight between the robots and the demons fun and I'm looking forward to Giants vs New Humanity. It really is a tournament arc on a national level.

Having said that, I think they have forshadowed the protagonist having some heart of the hero style super power so I'm sure at some crucial point the humans will step in and their strength will make a difference. I just don't expect that for a long time until we get through some of these "matches."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
(Versus) The humans' plan just succeeded, idk why we're talking like they have no chance. They wont win in a shonen battle but thats probably not where the series is going.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

Skeleton Double: Nobody expected the MC bisected another man all so he could go to the beach. I liked the small detail of the MC going into combat mode when who I am now going to predict will turn out to be best girl makes her intro.

After how heavy the past chapters have been this chapter is a pretty good breather. I also like how the MC is developing he deserves that beach in Okinawa. :unsmith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Invictus posted:

watamote has been in a leadup arc to the school festival and making a film to show at said festival for what feels like a hundred loving chapters now(not that I minded, since it was a lot of fun with the entire cast)

well, they've begun screening the movie at the festival, finally and in typical watamote fashion, it's absolutely perfect

tomoko's student film is here to remind you that watamote still has serious cringe chops

I still quite love Watamote.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

It's just like Gurren Lagann.

No matter what the situation or setting, anime/manga always find its way to the beach.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Hmm. Looks like Ghostbuster Osamu might be on the chopping block if the teaser at the end of the chapter means anything.

There's also a new manga, Mikane and the Sea Woman that... I'm not sure what to think of the first chapter

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
The Unwanted Undead Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEaW9p7LXvc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh hey, that's a good series. my only real complaints about it is he was somehow amazingly skilled and useful to everyone but still was that bottom rank, rather than getting recruited for something less dangerous but more suitable for his extremely apparent skills, and the series gets rid of the whole "being a loving skeleton/zombie and trying to walk around society unnoticed" thing way too quickly, turning him into a form that is passable in general society pretty quickly. still, surprisingly fun series.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

oh hey, that's a good series. my only real complaints about it is he was somehow amazingly skilled and useful to everyone but still was that bottom rank, rather than getting recruited for something less dangerous but more suitable for his extremely apparent skills, and the series gets rid of the whole "being a loving skeleton/zombie and trying to walk around society unnoticed" thing way too quickly, turning him into a form that is passable in general society pretty quickly. still, surprisingly fun series.

They make sense in context. The first one was mostly his lack of higher end stats making him good at a ot of things, but not good enough to really go any higher and the guild sort of humoring him until he'd give up on the Mithril Rank thing so that they could formally hire him for an administrative position. The second part I think is due to how tedious that would likely get after a while and he's still stuck with a skull faced mask.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
so yeah Sakamoto Days has the best chapter today no contest

Literally yelled WHAT THE gently caress at the reveal

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Desperate Character posted:

I dunno, I kinda want to see if this is some split personality deal or what. If it's actually real then it's a fun twist so I hope it doesn't go down the cliche route.

Man, it must be cliffhanger week or something. Akane-banashi's is almost annoying.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

What a pure maiden. So MC does have a legitimate fear? Something to work through which is good for the story

Desperate Character posted:

I'm guessing out of grief, X adopted personalities from people he valued who he has killed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

What a pure maiden. So MC does have a legitimate fear? Something to work through which is good for the story

Fear of heights is something that the MC legitimately seem to not enjoy, so I wonder how exactly will she use it, and how will she handle it, if the MC will get genuinely distressed. Also, I am getting more and more suspicious about MCs mom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of torn on this week's Witch Watch. It doesn't really advance all that much but it was fun how the dream world took the form of a standard goof em up chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Fear of heights is something that the MC legitimately seem to not enjoy, so I wonder how exactly will she use it, and how will she handle it, if the MC will get genuinely distressed. Also, I am getting more and more suspicious about MCs mom.

There's like a 10% chance she will push him off the stereotypical big rock at this river/creek they went too. But I rate it very low because she's far too nice even though she's very intense. More likely is hat she'll take him to he big rock, artist will fake out she's rushing him to push him off, and she'll jump herself to prove that falling can be enjoyable. MC will have to follow and they can have a good time provided both can swim.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think (Goosebumps chappie): that the MC has a fear of heights... that's probably his mom's assumption, but considering his whole deal of only feeling alive when he's scared comes from that trauma, he probably has a different and more messed-up relationship from it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think (Goosebumps chappie): that the MC has a fear of heights... that's probably his mom's assumption, but considering his whole deal of only feeling alive when he's scared comes from that trauma, he probably has a different and more messed-up relationship from it.

The mom didn't say it was a fear of heights specifically, but the general fear of a dangerous fall. This was brought up in the first chapter but we got to see more of the aftereffects of the accident.

Years of being incredibly conscious of falling again has affected him to the point seeing another person doing something dangerous triggers him. We'll likely see something related to the mother as well since the way her eyes cut in this chapter was pretty intense.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Also, I am getting more and more suspicious about MCs mom.

Yeah, there's something odd going on with her. She's been practically encouraging them to have sex, and then she just drops that bit of info in detail like she knew that Kisaki would run with it.

Kill Blue: I appreciate how things resolved. Tenma took care of himself, MC had a good time

Tenmaku Cinema: we have some drama brewing!

Red Cat Ramen: I am really enjoying this and I hope everyone's reading it

Ayakashi Triangle: We... might be heading towards... a conclusion? Things feel like they might be coming to an end

MMA: Okay, MC's got a reason to fight now

Sakamoto Days: :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sakamoto Days was insanely hype, and Akane-Banashi continues to be really sweet. With JJK being in the middle of an incredibly hype fight, Chainsaw man in the middle of an amazing bit, and Witch Watch in a climatic fight as well I'm lovin it.