Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jackie Fargo's real name was pretty unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, he probably got a lot of colour on the playground hardway thanks to that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Why did he even keep the Steamboat name in WWF? Was carrying over his regional fans important enough business wise?

Yes.

When Vince was doing the expansion in the this mid-80s he felt it was important to let the wrestlers keep their names as a way to draw in the territorial fans who were familiar with them, and only tweaking the gimmick a bit in some cases.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I still love that everyone in the 90's had to have a loving job lol

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Do we know who's idea that was? Or is it a case everyone pointing at everyone else? Like "I told them it was a stupid idea, but he had Vince's ear."

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

At least it was a good way to keep the action figures colorful and distinct.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Defenestrategy posted:

Was the william regal real mans man gimmick a rib by vince?

I don't think Regal has ever named names but I think he's strongly implied in the past that Russo pitched it to him with the flawless logic that British = Gay apparently. Vince probably found it hilarious too though.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Should’ve been the same song but with Val Venis’ titan tron

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Vince had just discovered Monty Pythons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

why change it?
It just seems odd when you're planning to immediately market him as a Japanese-American karate master. Idunno if they had that idea from the get-go or if it occurred to them shortly after he debuted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there a list of all the things that have been used as the prize in a ladder match? We've had belts, briefcases, clipboards and everything that can be attached to them like custody paperwork or employment contracts. What else?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a list of all the things that have been used as the prize in a ladder match? We've had belts, briefcases, clipboards and everything that can be attached to them like custody paperwork or employment contracts. What else?

The big Sonic ring AEW uses for their Face Of The Revolution deal.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The big Sonic ring AEW uses for their Face Of The Revolution deal.

they're about to do Andrade's mask on Friday too

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven't watched much AEW, I'm glad they're doing more than just the usual belt or briefcase.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Penguin Patrol posted:

they're about to do Andrade's mask on Friday too

wrestling rules

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don’t know if it counts as a prize or not but ECW would hang barbed wire in the Stairway to Hell matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don’t know if it counts as a prize or not but ECW would hang barbed wire in the Stairway to Hell matches

And in White Plains they false advertised a Stairway to Hell and before the match announced they couldn't do barbed wire in NY and were going to do a singapore cane instead.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Judy Bagwell

and that time they had a stun gun (?) on a pole match and the pole was like 50ft high, so they had to get Jimmy Hart to climb it because there's no way the 2 beef dudes could do it (Big Boss man and someone else I think)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I said ladders. Judy Bagwell was on a forklift.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Stampede and a indy that used to run here have done "large sum of money in bag" as a ladder match

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Stardom did a "Moneyball" ladder match - a large plastic ball full of money - but then a ladder tipped over and broke it all over the ring early in the match. They still had to climb for the empty half of the ball so they could pile all the money into it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The ladder match that established The Hardys and Edge & Christian at No Mercy 1999 was for the management services of Terri Runnels.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

The ladder match that established The Hardys and Edge & Christian at No Mercy 1999 was for the management services of Terri Runnels.

yes the Terri Invitational Tournament a classic

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
HEY JR WHAT'S THAT SPELL

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t remember Terri being suspended above the ring

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cannoncially is Kobashi the only man that Suzuki fears?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shard posted:

Cannoncially is Kobashi the only man that Suzuki fears?

I believe he was scared of Liger during that one angle.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42GTS5gwAA&t=89s

does Suzuki show his fear by laughing uncontrollably

dang

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He got hit with Joker poison.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lily Catts posted:

What are some examples of fighting game moves ported into wrestling? (It has to be explicitly called the move from the fighting game to count) Kenny used to do the Hadouken and SPD (on Yoshihiko), Speedball does the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, anyone else I'm missing? I'm surprised SHO doesn't have an EWGF-type move

Ishii did a pretty gnarly E Honda sumo headbutt to Eddie Kingston the other day.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/drainbamager/status/1684160053283258370?s=21&t=Q09P9gh_1cM72Rnc8rYTjw

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It makes sense because both Ishii and Capcom are Japanese

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The NFL would have suspended him multiple games for that spot.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
No Flying headbutt League

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

ChrisBTY posted:

The NFL would have suspended him multiple games for that spot.

Have there been any gimmick matches where the goal was to win some kind of sports game but with wrestling allowed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

big black turnout posted:

Have there been any gimmick matches where the goal was to win some kind of sports game but with wrestling allowed

yes

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Extreme Hugging Championship is too brutal imho

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Literally every football Sunday some poo poo happens that's more physically devastating than 99% of all wrestling spots ever

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Memphis used to have weird football gimmick matches in the late 80s, I think Mick Foley was in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

calcio storico