Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i am so glad to have bosses who dont give a poo poo about the details and dont pretend to either (

them: we were thinking abou "this". what does it take to implement?
me: idk its uh javascript and php so at least a month? if you want i can take a day to give a more precise estimate
them: nah just stay on the other thing

~or~

them: alright lets see if its worth it
me: (after a month) this poo poo sucks
them: ok that goes on the backburner ("icebox" for the poisoned)

my boss is good like this. sometimes i just say "this would take a lot of time and it wouldn't be worth it" and it gets shitcanned right away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

you ever worked on a project with more than like, 3 people, without a project manager? it sucks rear end. project management is real

there’s project managers who view themselves as the grease / nerves between the various gears of the project and there’s project managers who view themselves as the iron fist cranking said gears

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

there’s also pms who are completely clueless and just follow some inane fr-agile process to the letter with no curiosity or understanding of how they’re helping anything or improving processes. they are unknowingly an organizational cancer that consumes more and more resources with each passing budget. demanding ever increasing process for the sake of process not only taking up their own time but everyone else’s as well. these are the middle of the road pms that aren’t great to work for but aren’t bad either because all they care about is filling out mountains of paperwork that no one will ever read or care about. as long as you put the bare minimum into their process they’ll leave you alone and won’t give less of a poo poo about some other team member taking up the mantle of actual pm work

the iron fists will kill projects and scare off employees quickly. the above pms will slowly spread until they strangle entire organizations

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
"we keep taking more measurements and having more meetings but somehow our velocity keeps decreasing??? we're going to need another working meeting and a new JIRA board to get to the bottom of this!"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Internet Janitor posted:

"we keep taking more measurements and having more meetings but somehow our velocity keeps decreasing??? we're going to need another working meeting and a new JIRA board to get to the bottom of this!"

Just turn the meetings into stories and estimate them. Instant velocity!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ADINSX posted:

Just turn the meetings into stories and estimate them. Instant velocity!

not even kidding, if you want our dev team to have a meeting about your random thing you book it into a sprint. have i gone mad with power, or sane with power?

our pm's job is to make us go to as few meetings as possible

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 29, 2023

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the meetings will continue until efficiency improves

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

fart simpson posted:

you ever worked on a project with more than like, 3 people, without a project manager? it sucks rear end. project management is real

I’ve never gotten proper task estimation without doing it myself or publicly shaming the project manager. Like ever, in my entire life.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
farts also talkin his book, cuz he is one of them pms

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Internet Janitor posted:

I so wish I could just ban JIRA from anyone who doesn’t have a PMP and just give them a loving webcam pointed at a kanban made of post its and a whiteboard.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
our project manager increased meeting count so that we now have 2 days every 2 weeks where it's just all meetings.

This was in response to the fact that we had too many meetings strewn across the week.

instead we now have 2 3 hour blocks one day every week and then 2 1 hour blocks on the other days.

Our velocity has decreased but when I point that out, they counter with "velocity is not the point"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
also as technical lead for the team, I'm in charge of writing the tickets.

I write them in google sheets, export as CSV, and create them in batches on Jira. We then spend 10-20 minutes per ticket pointing them. When we need something done in less than 2 sprints, we just say "this can be done by this person", and keep it unpointed.

Otherwise it would break the system because you're supposed to write the ticket, point in the ceremony the next sprint, then add them to the following sprint, forcing a 4 week lead time.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the best way to actually get work done is by creating adhoc tickets and saying "this was a customer ask" which the oncall person has to handle

unsurprisingly, the oncall person also happens to do the most work outside of triages.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
when you're not on call, you pick up your 1 (or maybe 2 tickets), and then just keep saying "working on it" in standup until the end of the sprint where you say you're done

that way, we guarantee that all our "sprint goals" are complete because we finished everything we "wanted to do"

honestly, saying this all out, it's pretty good because still getting paid and layoffs don't think about how much work anyone has done.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ima direct peeps to look in the last 5 pages of bwm thread in bfc

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the what in The Who now

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

you know, the bwm thread in bfc. are you not familiar with phr? haven’t you been following tbw and hwn on ppj?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh god not ppj

for those newer to sa ppj was a (now permabanned) mod that "infiltrated" a nazi discord and it was a whole thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

can you summarize it so I don't have to

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

No

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Eeyo posted:

oh god not ppj

for those newer to sa ppj was a (now permabanned) mod that "infiltrated" a nazi discord and it was a whole thing

i figured the probability one of my fake abbreviations coincidentally being a real one was pretty high, but oh no not that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well-read undead posted:

i figured the probability one of my fake abbreviations coincidentally being a real one was pretty high, but oh no not that

Lmfao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

there’s project managers who view themselves as the grease / nerves between the various gears of the project and there’s project managers who view themselves as the iron fist cranking said gears

like obviously there’s a lot of bad pms. but you still need them unless your working on toy projects

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

too late, i'm reading it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

can you summarize it so I don't have to

they found a fintech company that does predatory poo poo with home equity and someone from the company bought an account to defend them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
somehow the sa thread appears higher in the google search results for their name than their own website, so it was an attractive nuisance

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

somehow the sa thread appears higher in the google search results for their name than their own website, so it was an attractive nuisance

a lomarf, if you will.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

lol owned

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

can someone just link to the first post i don't want to find it :effort:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I did it for me, here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3878671&pagenumber=1345&perpage=40#post533532833

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

pmchem posted:

i heard you guys like dumbass VC-funded fintech startups, how about pawn shops for home equity?

https://twitter.com/stoolcapital/status/1684007671672848384?s=20

quote:

What does Pauzible do?
Pauzible provides you with the opportunity to pause payments on your current mortgage for an agreed period, giving you the freedom to achieve your aspirations - whether you're thinking of starting your own business, getting another degree, or taking that long-awaited dream vacation. At the end of this pause period, you resume your mortgage payments, same as before. In return we receive a share of the equity in your home based on the amount of mortgage payments we make on your behalf, plus a fee for every year that our equity share is not realized. You have the option to buy back our share anytime during the 10-year period. Otherwise, you settle with us when you refinance or sell the house

If I go with Pauzible, who owns the home?
You still own the home! You control the property and receive all the benefits of home ownership, such as sole occupancy rights. Pauzible is not an owner. We, however, share a portion of the future value of your home as an investor, secured with a lien.

What are the fees and costs associated with Pauzible?
Pauzible charges a fee equal to 3% of the transaction value for arranging the investment. Also our share of the equity in your home is based on the total amount of mortgage payments we make on your behalf, plus a fee for every year that our equity share is not realized. There are no other Pauzible fees. There would be additional third party costs such as appraisal fees, title searches etc.

"im not debt! im not debt!!", i continue to insist as i slowly charge annual interest and transform into a lien

Pauzible_cs posted:

Addressing some of the queries raised in the thread earlier on Pauzible
1. Third parties can own a share of homeowner equity without affecting their mortgage contracts. The concept of home equity sharing agreement has been in existence in the US since 2004 across multiple providers.

2. It is not a home equity loan or a HELOC, in fact it is not debt. A home equity loan or HELOC requires you to pay interest and principal back. Whereas at Pauzible, homeowners who have sufficient equity in their home would be able to tap into this home equity without taking on additional debt - by letting Pauzible invest in the equity in their homes in return for receiving funds.
Pauzible would receive a return on their investment in the owner's home only at the time the homeowner sells, or refinances or buys their equity share out anytime within a 10 year window or immediately after.
If the value of their home appreciates, Pauzible would be sharing in that gain. If not, Pauzible would make less, or even lose money.

3. The objective of the lien on the property is to make sure that Pauzible's rights in the home equity sharing agreement are protected and that owners are not able to sell or refinance the property without Pauzible being notified and Pauzible's share being realized.

Hope this clarifies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pmchem posted:

this is hilarious and you're still a dumbass predatory startup. MOD CHALLENGE: if you want to continue defending your brand after your probation is over, you must respond to the following posts in full:

quote:

ok i checked and Pauzible does not have a single example transaction. the website could not be plainer that it was looking for people who aren't going to "do" "math" about what they are being offered.

provide a complete sample transaction, with all relevant dollar values and timeframes

quote:

Hey can you explain the following fees? I'm a little unclear on the structure.

Is this a fee charged in cash to the borrower? Eg Pauzible assumes $1K/month of your mortgage payment, and you pay $30/month each month that the arrangement is ongoing?

What is the fee for unrealized equity?

answer everything with a question mark from Kyoon

quote:

If it's not insanely predatory, you should have no problem sharing the fee structure.

share the fee structure, with actual numbers, in full detail

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
more like ponzible

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah that description is super vague because it doesn't indicate how the mortgage payments correspond to the percentage of equity that they take and it doesn't say what the annual fee is

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

look ok it's not debt, you just get money now for some amount of money paid back in the future what's there to not understand?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like these "home equity agreements" should probably be illegal since they're just a way to bypass regulations on home equity loans?

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 30, 2023

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Eeyo posted:

look ok it's not debt, you just get money now for some amount of money paid back in the future what's there to not understand?

free money
no encumbering liens

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

seeking angel investors on my house

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i haven’t actually read their sales pitch because i’m pretty confident they’re scum.

if it’s not debt what happens in bankruptcy? is it just a one weird trick to get preferential treatment or something like that?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
they get a lien on the property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

what in the world..