Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Putting power back into grid is such mess. I would be super conservative about payback periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Yes this is the standard setup for a battery system. For example, and you should not buy this system if you value your home, tesla has it so you can power your home in a blackout, sell back excess power when at full charge, and also do demand selling of your stored energy. Every possible combo. (This is in California where your ppa can include buyback of stored generation.)

https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/powerwall/mobile-app/powerwall-modes

I think Enphase has this kind of thing too, I'd much rather go with them if I were in the position to do so.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh I would never buy a Tesla anything

Calidus posted:

Putting power back into grid is such mess. I would be super conservative about payback periods.

yyyyeah I've heard it's a poo poo show, but this is probably the lowest of my priorities, third to emergency backup and then offset of mains usage. I'm gonna pay upfront anyway

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Well, what you want does exist, so you can probably start looking for installers in your area.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The residential solar industry is frequently focused on roping people into borderline usurious loan schemes and has found "your installation will pay for itself by selling back to the utility" to be the most effective way to get people to ignore that fat 20-30% origination fee hidden in the payments.

Batteries would push the system cost past breakeven and we can't have that getting in the way of our sales pitch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I live in an area that loses power a few times a year, and we decided we'd rather have solar and a battery than a generator. Automatic switches that cut off feed into the grid when the power goes down are fairly common. Modern inverters automatically stop feeding into the grid when the power goes down.

Side note: You can use just a battery as backup, store energy at night when it's cheap, and then use it in the daytime; California will give you a rebate for that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

I think Enphase has this kind of thing too, I'd much rather go with them if I were in the position to do so.

Yea, Enphase can do it. You'd need a bunch of batteries if you wanted to support the entire house, but you can get away with a much smaller one if you just want to protect some critical circuits.

https://enphase.com/homeowners

You likely do not just want "sunlight backup"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
At my wife's request I bought a new, more attractive, doorbell button to replace the gross old plastic one. I was going to install it but I realized that the doorbell doesn't work. I don't know where the bell unit is, I don't recall when it last worked. And I'm not sure the wires are still connected.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless doorbell? Just a button and a chime, no video. Or is it one of those things where I should buy whatever off Amazon?

Bonus: Just put the finishing touch on the gym decor

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lmao

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Vim Fuego posted:

At my wife's request I bought a new, more attractive, doorbell button to replace the gross old plastic one. I was going to install it but I realized that the doorbell doesn't work. I don't know where the bell unit is, I don't recall when it last worked. And I'm not sure the wires are still connected.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless doorbell? Just a button and a chime, no video. Or is it one of those things where I should buy whatever off Amazon?

I bought this doorbell last year. I'm running it from a video doorbell to a wired to wireless adapter. It works well.

Honeywell Home RDWL915W Series 9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08964B9D5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other additional item you would need is the push button.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RP...01LXKH0ED&psc=1

I'm happy with mine so far.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

With a gym theme: I almost finished installing Mrs Pony's birthday present but decided to get another 4'x2' portion of plywood for the other side instead of ripping the one one I had in half and having a step down where you'd be loading the bar.

4" lag screws into the floor joists. If the roof had a hole for a crane cable you could probably lift the whole shed from the rack.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I'm going to be installing a number of recessed lights in my kitchen soon. What is the better option, traditional cans or the slim canless LED style ones?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Slim canless are called remodel lights. Can lights require you to mount them to rafters while slim ones require there are no rafters where you want to mount them. This is why in some rooms you'll see oddly paced lights, because they had to find rafters to hang them.

Remodel ones are usually significantly cheaper and they're both wired exactly the same.Both look the same after they're complete. Don't cheap out on these, some of the cheaper ones are known to catch fire. I bought HALO brand and have been very happy with them. I'd also suggest you put them all on dimmer switches because they're loving bright as hell.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

oh rly posted:

I bought this doorbell last year. I'm running it from a video doorbell to a wired to wireless adapter. It works well.

Honeywell Home RDWL915W Series 9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08964B9D5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other additional item you would need is the push button.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RP...01LXKH0ED&psc=1

I'm happy with mine so far.

Thanks!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Shifty Pony posted:

With a gym theme: I almost finished installing Mrs Pony's birthday present but decided to get another 4'x2' portion of plywood for the other side instead of ripping the one one I had in half and having a step down where you'd be loading the bar.

4" lag screws into the floor joists. If the roof had a hole for a crane cable you could probably lift the whole shed from the rack.

if your wife can lift the entire shed, you need to send them to the world's strongest competition :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

brugroffil posted:

I'm going to be installing a number of recessed lights in my kitchen soon. What is the better option, traditional cans or the slim canless LED style ones?

I have installed a bundle of Lithonia WF series canless lights and can't be happier. A couple of corrections I have from Mustache Rides post. They're 1/2" thick, and you can install them under joists or rafters since they are literally the thickness of your drywall, assuming you have 1/2" or thicker drywall. My last house had 3/8" drywall so that would have been a minor setback. You can also install them in brackets if you're doing new construction, so they are more stable and easily replaced later.

I like them so much I replaced the four remodel cans in my kitchen with them, particularly because they were so big they had clearance issues with the plumbing above and I was remodeling that plumbing.

The kitchen got the 6" lights, my hallway got the 3" size, and the bathrooms got the 4" I think. If I was doing the kitchen again I'd actually run two more and use a dimmer.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Thanks! It's mainly for a kitchen remodel, and we had (6) 6" on a dimmer in mind. I'll talk to our contractor but I'm leaning towards the canless style rather than the remodel cans.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you’re just going to shove an LED with an integrated trim ring into the can, then I don’t see much point in paying for the can at all. Just use the easy surface mount lights.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you are already opening up the ceiling or paying someone to do it I would definitely opt for the proper can lights. The canless remodel lights are decent, but you lose massive amounts of long term flexibility which IMO isn't worth the one time frustration savings at installation.

If you want a different color temperature in a few years? Want to take advantage of advances in LED phosphor technology and have a higher CRI? Want to install a smart dimmer but find that the remodel lights get blinky on that model? Tough poo poo, you're replacing all of your light fixtures.

And if one fails you'll almost certainly have to replace all of them because a new one (if you can find the same model) will have slightly different brightness and color temperature from not having been run for years.

To me the remodel lights are really really good but only for replacing single light fixtures in places where an exposed bulb is bad and light quality is of secondary importance. Utility closets, pantries, stuff like that. They even make some models with integrated pull chains or motion sensors, which is pretty slick.

Edit: my previous house had these installed everywhere, and it was kind of the worst of both worlds:

Sure you could replace a light, but doing so meant also replacing the trim and some of the manufacturers had distinctly different designs which stuck out (sometimes literally, they would protrude a bit more). After going through all the effort and cost of installing can lights and high quality dimmers everywhere the landlord used the cheapest model of actual light that flashed like crazy when the dimmers were actually used, and I needed up replacing eight of the drat things over five years.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 31, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

If you are already opening up the ceiling or paying someone to do it I would definitely opt for the proper can lights. The canless remodel lights are decent, but you lose massive amounts of long term flexibility which IMO isn't worth the one time frustration savings at installation.

If you want a different color temperature in a few years? Want to take advantage of advances in LED phosphor technology and have a higher CRI? Want to install a smart dimmer but find that the remodel lights get blinky on that model? Tough poo poo, you're replacing all of your light fixtures.

And if one fails you'll almost certainly have to replace all of them because a new one (if you can find the same model) will have slightly different brightness and color temperature from not having been run for years.

To me the remodel lights are really really good but only for replacing single light fixtures in places where an exposed bulb is bad and light quality is of secondary importance. Utility closets, pantries, stuff like that. They even make some models with integrated pull chains or motion sensors, which is pretty slick.

Quality recessed lighting is overwhelmingly "remodel" style now.

https://www.lotusledlights.com/products/filter-category-regressed

If you've not shopped for this type of lighting in the last few years I can see how you might hold your opinion, but it's just not how things work anymore other than at the bottom end of the market. I will never install or spec a can again.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
All that “what if they don’t match later”stuff goes with any LEDs. Buy spares, shuffle around closet fixtures.

I don’t see myself ever going back to bulbs screwed directly into cans with separate trim rings. Sealed units with integrated trim are so much cleaner looking, and you can do that without paying for an unneeded can.

If you really want a can years down the road, just shove a remodel can up the same hole. They insert from the outside and don’t need to be nailed to a joist.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
It's still an unfortunate situation where if a fixture dies some years later, you need to hope they still make a matching one (unless those higher end ones are designed with a doumented electronics package that is repairable/replaceable)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Shifty Pony posted:

https://www.acuitybrands.com/produc...essed-downlight

These are the ones I use because I feel like it's a good quality brand and the lights will last and the product will be around for a while. Spares are a good idea with this or any light I feel, since manufacturing will have some variation and a new LED replacement, even a spare, may be brighter than one that's been in service for years.

It's also switchable color temp, so that eliminates the argument that you may want to change the color.

At the end of the day, you have a hole in the ceiling. Replacing the driver and light is going to be a simple job, although not as easy as a lamp replacement.

I think I'd be a little more swayed for the benefit of puck lights mounted to ceiling boxes, since those are very easy to install. I think they look cheap since they stick out a little. But I so do the canless that I like since they don't provide the same depth as a can light. I am a little partial to good deep cans where the light source isn't visible from a distance so you get the effect of your room being lit without seeing the source. Not enough to actually use them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I am a little partial to good deep cans where the light source isn't visible from a distance so you get the effect of your room being lit without seeing the source. Not enough to actually use them.

The section of the Lotus Lighting site I linked above is specifically their recessed stuff, which is all I use for the same reasons. They even have gimbal not-cans in recessed.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Piggybacking on Solar Chat, I have the choice of trenching 200' to power my shed or go solar. My intent is to be able to use a 4-5 of LED lights insides and out, duration depending on what's going on outside (at most a few hours after dark less than weekly), with the occasional 5 minute compressor run to my tractor's tires or 10 minutes on a battery charger for the tractor when the battery flakes out once a week. Definitely plan on Christmas lights in the winter, but those are also LED.

I've been looking through the same systems folks seem to use on RVs, including panel, batteries, and an inverter. The shed's roof faces directly south and has 120 sq ft. I live in Wisconsin so summer sun is good but winter is probably 3-5 hours a day in the deep months.

Here's my question: Is going solar here a bad idea or should I just suck it up and run the wire? I have zero intention of feeding back to the grid or backing up my house appliances, so that isn't a concern. I just don't want to have a half dozen batteries taking up space if I'm going to be stuck running a wire eventually anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Rent a trencher IMO. Solar and batteries barely make financial sense if you actually use them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Rent a ditch witch for like 10-20% the cost of your setup. You're well within the realm of like 2 panels and a single car battery, but unless you have a burning desire to fiddle with it just do the trench.

Also get a trickle charger for your tractor and a hardwire kit (mine came with one.) then just plug it in every time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vim Fuego posted:

Bonus: Just put the finishing touch on the gym decor

:sax: Every workout ought to have a sword :sax:

We have had these battery-powered ones doorbells in two houses, and they do the thing. They stick on. You can buy an extra chime and put one on each floor of the house.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 1, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife got a circa-1940s floor lamp from her grandparents. It's this one and we'd like to get an appropriate lampshade.

Is there a place online to get things like this lampshade? I kind of remember people on here talking about lamps or light fixtures and someone who had a brass bits and bobs. Maybe they have everything else.

Here's the kind of lampshade we're going for (from the link above):

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hed posted:

My wife got a circa-1940s floor lamp from her grandparents. It's this one and we'd like to get an appropriate lampshade.

Is there a place online to get things like this lampshade? I kind of remember people on here talking about lamps or light fixtures and someone who had a brass bits and bobs. Maybe they have everything else.

I don't have any recs but that lamp is fuckin FRESH

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I feel like it's going go lead to to the well of souls

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:sax: Every workout ought to have a sword :sax:

We have had these battery-powered ones doorbells in two houses, and they do the thing. They stick on. You can buy an extra chime and put one on each floor of the house.

Cool. I am required to use the new decorativd doorbell that we bought so I'm gonna pick up one of the wireless sets and fit the mechanism into it. Hopefully it's a small circuitboard.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hed posted:

I can't recommend anywhere online but lamp repair shops and thriftstores are where I've bought them in person.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did you look at Amazon? You might have to do some digging to get something appropriate for the vintage look.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I noticed some wasps or hornets that are hanging out in one spot in my house, and a lot of them are going behind the siding, so I think they're building some kind of nest in there. What can I do to get rid of them? I'm used to wasp & hornet spray against the nests in my eaves where I can see the nest, but I can't see it here, so I guess I would need some kind of poison? Or just keep going out there and spray every wasp I see with the spray until they're all dead or they give up and leave?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You spray the area with the same stuff. Especially the edges where they are getting behind your siding.

Depending on what you're using you may need to do this several times.

Stryker 54 is the go-to for this type of thing: https://www.domyown.com/stryker-54-p-19246.html?pdpv=2 Temprid would also be a good choice: https://www.domyown.com/temprid-ready-to-spray-p-2657.html?pdpv=2

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Do it in the evenings when they're all back home and much less active.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hed posted:

Nice lamp! I'd go to B&P lampshades myself, although there are other providers of vintage lamp parts who also sell shades. I bought a mica shade for my bridge lamp there. There are custom-shade people on Etsy, but their search is such a cave of horrors I can't recommend it.

NVM, thinking of a different company (B&P is wholesale-only). Watch this space for updates.

e: I got my mica shade from Historic Houseparts, which is a fun browse for anybody else with an old house or old house fixtures like lamps. Their selection of fabric shades sucks.

Assuming you don't want a custom lampshade, and I can't see why you would for this lamp, Just Shades looks solid, as does Replacement Lampshades. By "solid" I mean the lampshades look professional and when I google [nameofbusiness] scam I don't get any results.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 2, 2023

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I would get on Etsy or Ebay, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I need to buy a power washer I think. Nothing professional, just enough to clean off a wood fence for painting, get the dirt off a patio, etc. Any suggestions I should take into consideration before I start looking at what's well rated/on sale?