Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

loving christ!

https://twitter.com/David_Cormack/status/1684817381313634305?t=JNafUsEE2ex4WBnJXOvDfg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
seems way out of step with her voter base (ōhāriu mums) ???

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I worked at a school in the Ōhāriu electorate and the pākehā out there are very WASP, so I can see that resonating.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow, this whole time I thought National were sex positive

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
They really want schools to just be reading, writing, and maths - they think they own children

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
and let's face it, not really reading and writing either. nothing that might spark a critical thought

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
There is just something really sinister about some politicians openly opining on how they might restrict children's learning

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
People really are deluded into thinking Auckland is just a war zone where you might get a knife in the back at any moment. I tell people "Oh I went to a show last night on Queen Street" and they look at me in shock. "Aren't you worried about being attacked by the homeless?" as if they're loving marauding mad max psychopaths and not just human beings trying to sleep.

People with zero hobbies who sit out in Hobsonville reading the news (or more likely Reddit) all day long getting an increasingly twisted understanding of what the world is actually like out of their suburban bubble. It's a tale as old as time I suppose but man. People are stupid as gently caress.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've lived in Auckland my whole life and it's never been more dangerous than it is now!

And when was the last time you left the house and went out for dinner and a show? Oh, 10 years ago?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm confident the people by far most likely to kill me are, and will continue to be, car drivers

*cough* sorry I mean:

I'm from te atatu and I say kill em all!!!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I'm confident the people by far most likely to kill me are, and will continue to be, car drivers

*cough* sorry I mean:

I'm from te atatu and I say kill em all!!!

In which case yes Auckland still a very dangerous place. Those 'Street people' driving their cars around the streets

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
No murderous hobos, rat bags or gang bangers out on Queen Street this evening but there was a hell of a crowd out for Loyle Carner. I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of the guy but I'm currently remedying that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I mean, there were places in Flaxmere and Wairoa where you didn't walk alone or at night, but Auckland? Closest I could think of would be K Road around about... 2am? 3?

And that's just the usual sorts fried off their grill. Wouldn't call them dangerous, more dangerously impulsive.

Or maybe Ranui, but I haven't been there in 25 years.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

WarpedNaba posted:

I mean, there were places in Flaxmere and Wairoa where you didn't walk alone or at night, but Auckland? Closest I could think of would be K Road around about... 2am? 3?

And that's just the usual sorts fried off their grill. Wouldn't call them dangerous, more dangerously impulsive.

Or maybe Ranui, but I haven't been there in 25 years.

Watch out on Karangahape Road. Someone might try to do a kick flip at you.

There were a bunch of people waiting at the bus stop there tonight, and the gayest douchebag in the world rode through on a Lime scooter "*DING DING* What is this, Alanis Morissette?!".

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the only place i've ever felt really uncomfortable at night in nz was ponsonby road after an absence from 2012-2023. that crowd SUCKS now. gruelers. and that was not out of fear of crime just dislike of the yuppies

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lots of central Auckland sucks really bad around 2-3am as the bars close up and there are drunk people everywhere. Same buzz as Courtenay Place in welly at that time.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/2023-fifa-womens-world-cup-spain-team-bored-of-palmerston-north-report/YGHP36QYE5HR3OTTSGITUCJ7C4/

lmfao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

there's a guy in front of newtown new world who asks passers by what time it is, not because it's an intro to ask for money but just because he wants to know the time

i like newtown

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

They're not wrong

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We are the passionless people, after all.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Imagine how boring this country would be without immigrants

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

The other thing that never gets raised, is that comprehensive sexual education (age appropriate from a young age) can actually help with disclosures of abuse, as kids learn from an early age what is good and bad.

Even just reducing sex ed to being for teenagers etc misses years of prevention and intervention.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Robo Captain posted:

Imagine how racist this country would be without immigrants

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

Lots of central Auckland sucks really bad around 2-3am as the bars close up and there are drunk people everywhere. Same buzz as Courtenay Place in welly at that time.

My guy with a job and two kids, when was the last time you were out at 3 in the morning?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

My guy with a job and two kids, when was the last time you were out at 3 in the morning?

four nights a week bro hbu

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Robo Captain posted:

Imagine how boring this country would be without immigrants
It would be really cool if it hadn't received any immigrants, ngā mihi.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
A land untouched by any human hands would be preferable.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress, ACT are really coming for employee protections. They want:

- for contractors to be able to sign away coverage by the employment relations act; and
- that ERA can't reinstate people

All of their American culture war bullshit is just a trojan horse for this sort of stuff, that's too technical for most people to realise how hosed up and radical these changes would be

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/494780/on-the-campaign-trail-era-reforms-gang-talk-moving-ports-and-animal-rights

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bike tory posted:

gently caress, ACT are really coming for employee protections. They want:

- for contractors to be able to sign away coverage by the employment relations act; and
- that ERA can't reinstate people

All of their American culture war bullshit is just a trojan horse for this sort of stuff, that's too technical for most people to realise how hosed up and radical these changes would be

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/494780/on-the-campaign-trail-era-reforms-gang-talk-moving-ports-and-animal-rights

Good lord

quote:

ACT also proposed removing the eligibility for remedies if the employee's behaviour contributed to the personal grievance for unjustifiable dismissal or unjustifiable disadvantage
So all I have to do is say someone's an rear end in a top hat and they are completely hosed.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
ACT with Seymour is a legitimately dangerous party.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
They're not even real libertarians.

Well, the cousin loving guy, sure, but the rest of them are just stock standard far right.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I visited the John Cleese trash dump in Palmerston North; we had some spare time that day and nothing else was going on. Both Cleese and the Soccer ladies aren't wrong in the slightest.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

four nights a week bro hbu

Literally never

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That is a choice second picture. funniest thing ive seen all weekend

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

It’s always jarring for me to see cormack post good left wing opinions. I haven’t quite forgiven him for ripping the poo poo out of me back in the day (along with his aspiring standup comic mates) because I didn’t find his rape jokes funny.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
is standup crowd work really rough and unfunny in NZ? just judging from your story, and how my partner once got ripped to poo poo at a show till she left. her crime was sitting quietly and not laughing at stuff she didn't find funny. i only have those examples but i've literally never heard somebody talk about any other standup show in nz.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I remember sitting next to a girl who had the same thing done by Steve Wrigley (who I notice doesn't seem to be on the scene any more) for 20 minutes. However, most of the current generation don't seem to be anything like that. I try to go to a show at the comedy festival each year and haven't seen anything like that. I can't speak for specifically right wing comics who from clips I've seen seem to go into shows with a more abrasive attitude.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

We've been to the Classic a few times recently and they're generally great. The crowdwork generally comes in response to heckling, or in the last show one comedienne was taking jabs at people getting up during her set to go toilet, but it was all good natured and nothing pointed.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

is standup crowd work really rough and unfunny in NZ? just judging from your story, and how my partner once got ripped to poo poo at a show till she left. her crime was sitting quietly and not laughing at stuff she didn't find funny. i only have those examples but i've literally never heard somebody talk about any other standup show in nz.

Stand up is a give and take with the audience. We're a curmudgeonly bunch that sit around with our arms crossed going "hm well I didn't funny therefore I won't laugh", when frankly the reason they didn't find it funny is because the rest of the audience is also not laughing. It's why Americans pump canned laughter into their poo poo.

Unless it's like some real heinous jokes that youre morally opposed to laughing at, you have to put in the effort as an audience member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think getting called out on it is definitely part and parcel with going to places like the Classic. A less traditional venue like Basement won't necessarily have those same expectations.