Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm going over some older episodes, ran across this ending that I haven't watched in god knows how long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6TYEk_jcg

Crazy to see how a simple png slideshow triggers the nostalgia effect hard for me. I see all these outfit changes and it makes real think drat, these dudes have really scoured the earth in this series haven't they? Man my rear end is getting old :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BoosterDuck posted:

lucci's in the wrong manga then since no one dies in one piece

still waiting to hear from Big Mom and Kaido until I agree with you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

tbp posted:

thinking about raizo is safe. that moment was so effective the first time around but it was amplified for me when we learned the backstory of the samurai. realizing how absurd it must have been for the minks to see their hope reignited after so much suffering, the dream of avenging oden, it's really so powerful

tbp posted:

i really am firmly of the opinion that wano is maybe the second best arc in the whole series. especially with a little distance i think it was just so insanely effective in so many different aspects. the oden flashback is the best in the series imo, everything from the pacing to the art to the plot beats, oda really delivered

100% agreed on both counts.
I've been reading One Piece since it premiered in Shonen Jump and "Raizo is safe," after everything else with Zou, was really the biggest moment of "wow, this is all connected and part of such a bigger story and world" to me. It's such a strong emotional moment and tells you SO much about Wano.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Have said it before, will say it again, Oda's treatment of power scale is unmatched. Wano was a crowning achievement, as he had the 'good guys' beat two of the world's strongest bosses, but did so in a way that didn't undermine their weight or make said 'good guys' their equal. Big Mom is shown to be able to tank her attackers and loses because she falls thousands of feet into lava with bombs thrown on top of her – Kaido has 100 chapters worth of tag teams basically only scratching him until the story hero finally starts to land real punches.

The previous Emperor's #2 is running around, going toe-to-toe with both the main antagonist's top dawgs and holding his own, and the main Crew all get a little hero moment - some of which isn't just punching hard.

While the Straw Hats have gotten to the rank of an Emporer's crew, what that's meant from the get go has been remarkably consistent. And that's impressive as hell.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I do love that Oda manages to keep the weaker characters relevant still without just giving them huge power ups. Nami got Zeus but her best moment in Wano was refusing to back down from her faith in Luffy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think all my fav characters should get huge power ups tbh

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think all my fav characters should get huge power ups tbh

:hai:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Next week on the anime: Gear 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEqtFqc9Bk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh good, they are going in on the goofy cartoon aspect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gear 5 is next week, but the last 4 minutes this week were Luffy's heart starting to beat again, teh big elephant hearing Joy Boy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good, they’re going full cartoon with this just like I hoped

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Stoked so far, I just want the FULL Tom&Jerry

TheFoxsCloak
Sep 6, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB8cPQiNDok
My GOD, the drums are the hypest thing I've heard since "Ka Ka Kachi Daze" for the first time.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so hype.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Special opening for the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWiVAkWCzw4

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheFoxsCloak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB8cPQiNDok
My GOD, the drums are the hypest thing I've heard since "Ka Ka Kachi Daze" for the first time.
The drums of liberation!

I almost don't care about the animation. The manga was animated as gently caress. It's those drums of liberation that I needed to hear. (The animation is going to be amazing.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Drums of Liberation loving own

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m not sure if it was like this in the Japanese text of the manga as well but I couldn’t help but notice Luffy’s actress referring to the form as “Gear Fifths”

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

Also I’m not sure if it was like this in the Japanese text of the manga as well but I couldn’t help but notice Luffy’s actress referring to the form as “Gear Fifths”

i think thats just the way fifth is spoken. fourth sounds like "force" so the th is just a su sound i think?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

Well, downing a fifth really does help with the flexibility.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

i think thats just the way fifth is spoken. fourth sounds like "force" so the th is just a su sound i think?

Yeah that makes sense (which reminded me that while Luffy’s forms are spelled out with a number they’re actually pronounced “Second”, “Third”, etc)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 30, 2023

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I bet that one agent didn't actually get bludgeoned to hell by Kaido, he's always seemed like the unofficial leader of CP0 and way too much of a big player in that organization to get chumped offscreen like that.

Ten bucks says he somehow evaded getting smashed into paste and is hanging back on Imu's orders as some sort of 11th-hour Trump card, though I no clue how Oda would write him back into the narrative in a satisfactory manner outside of 'Kaido was too pissed to check for a body after his attack'.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

White Light posted:

I bet that one agent didn't actually get bludgeoned to hell by Kaido, he's always seemed like the unofficial leader of CP0 and way too much of a big player in that organization to get chumped offscreen like that.

Ten bucks says he somehow evaded getting smashed into paste and is hanging back on Imu's orders as some sort of 11th-hour Trump card, though I no clue how Oda would write him back into the narrative in a satisfactory manner outside of 'Kaido was too pissed to check for a body after his attack'.

Apparently he's the one who took the photo of Gear 5 Luffy for his wanted posted so at the very least he was still alive for that fight

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Anime Gear 5 is going to break the internet.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Apparently he's the one who took the photo of Gear 5 Luffy for his wanted posted so at the very least he was still alive for that fight

I was wondering how they took that picture 🤔

EDIT: ^^ You joke but I think that might actually be the case, hype for that thing has been building up for half the drat year at this point

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am curious how CP0 will be handled going forwards. I don't get the impression they can fight Luffy directly but they've already demonstrated that they can have a big impact by jumping in at a key moment

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lucci is 100% Luffy's bitch at this point. He'll talk big but he'll be just like Crocodile at Marineford and fall in line behind the future King of the Pirates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Drums of Liberation loving own

Yeah, I knew it was coming in this episode, I've already read the manga obviously, but hearing the drums and Zunesha declaring Joy Boy had returned was still a :hellyeah: moment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larryb posted:

there's no "th" in japanese; it's an artifact of using an english loan word

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mabels big day posted:

Lucci is 100% Luffy's bitch at this point. He'll talk big but he'll be just like Crocodile at Marineford and fall in line behind the future King of the Pirates.

lucci is probably about to get disowned by the WG so hes forced to follow luffy i bet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Someone has to take up the role of way too serious guy dealing with the strawhats bullshit now that Law is gone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The newest Straw Hat.....

will be Hattori

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like a Buster Call has to be declared at some point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

The newest Straw Hat.....

will be Hattori

Luffy is gonna put a little strawhat on Hattori

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I feel like a Buster Call has to be declared at some point.

A buster call would be casually sweept aside at this point. The only thing that would give the strawhats any trouble would be the Admiral

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hattori is actually Laffitte

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

A buster call would be casually sweept aside at this point. The only thing that would give the strawhats any trouble would be the Admiral
The military force for one is effectively already gathered but the 100 ships physically blasting the island the Straw Hats are currently trapped on to bits could be a problem

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

White Light posted:

Nah, that old boy is dead.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Can't wait for Zoro to also die and awaken the Drums of Libations. They will call him, Sakeboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
why would they use a buster call when they have the Island Deleter Orbital Laser