Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

is standup crowd work really rough and unfunny in NZ? just judging from your story, and how my partner once got ripped to poo poo at a show till she left. her crime was sitting quietly and not laughing at stuff she didn't find funny. i only have those examples but i've literally never heard somebody talk about any other standup show in nz.

a comedian once laughed at me cos I put my hand up instead of verbally answering "anyone here like thing" :( it was a good show though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i went to a comedy show on a tinder date, the comedian immediately sniffed out that it was a tinder date and spent the whole show ragging on us and yelling at her to kiss me

i think i probably lost a few points with her for laughing my goddamn rear end off

oh well

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

is standup crowd work really rough and unfunny in NZ? just judging from your story, and how my partner once got ripped to poo poo at a show till she left. her crime was sitting quietly and not laughing at stuff she didn't find funny. i only have those examples but i've literally never heard somebody talk about any other standup show in nz.

This wasn’t at a show, he was a friend of a friend, so it was a private group of large male “comedians” and one deeply uncomfortable woman.
Steve Wrigley really did suck out loud though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's a huge generalization that contradicts some of these stories, but I feel like the comedy scene in NZ has improved greatly in the last 10-15 years. Generally sets are more original, good natured and less humiliating, the performers support each other more (looking from the outside at least), the audiences contain a smaller portion of sloshed farmers, and the material is often insightful as well as funny. If I had been an adult in the 90's, I'd probably never have bothered going to any gigs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can only speak to the current Auckland crowd, but by and large there seems to be more or less a consensus that comedy shouldn't punch down.

For more comedy, National are revealing the centrepiece of their election campaign today: just one more lane bro.

Four lanes from Whangarei to Tauranga, four lanes to the planes.

(It's going to work. The only major transport infrastructure we're getting in the next 15 years is going to be another couple of lands from Hamilton to Tauranga, and another car tunnel through Mt Vic that will be just as choked with cars as the current one within five years of opening, just like the Waterview Tunnel in Auckland).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

Can only speak to the current Auckland crowd, but by and large there seems to be more or less a consensus that comedy shouldn't punch down.

For more comedy, National are revealing the centrepiece of their election campaign today: just one more lane bro.

(It's going to work. The only major transport infrastructure we're getting in the next 15 years is going to be another couple of lands from Hamilton to Tauranga, and another car tunnel through Mt Vic that will be just as choked with cars as the current one within five years of opening, just like the Waterview Tunnel in Auckland).

40 million per km and with a cost that's extremely lowball, "party of fiscal responsibility"

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I only know one commedian IRL and he was a loving dickhead who somehow pulled way above his league, but was abusive and manipulative and he hosed off to the UK and gor long covid and had a wahwah about it in stuff (I think) so I guess even covid has it's silver linings.

I remember hearing a story about him once that involved his flatmate literally throwing his bed out onto the street and I thought "wow the old flatmate is a oval office" but then I moved in with him and I thought "wow the old flatmate was incredibly restrained"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"about half the population lives in the upper north island" is incredible code for 'holiday highway for aucklanders'

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Gotta say, not the biggest fan of Guy Williams on the television but I saw him on Friday and when he's on stage he's there to loving eviscerate everyone and everything and it was pretty fantastic. Maybe avoid his shows if you're not into the audience participation side of things.

As a poncy twat who sits in the front row I only managed to avoid the eye of sauron by virtue of there being a bunch of high school boys attending the same show.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

bike tory posted:

Utopia was a documentary.

https://youtu.be/pCzCJzwrB_c

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've been to a few open mic stand up comedy nights and they were all good fun. People had a laugh, comedians didn't eviscerate anyone.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The most mortifying audience participation bit I've experienced was at Johanna Cosgrove's Hi Delusion. A brilliant show that ended with me receiving a lapdance infront of a cheering audience.

Still recovering from that one.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Lobsterpillar posted:

40 million per km and with a cost that's extremely lowball, "party of fiscal responsibility"

Hmmm I'm sure the citizens that have been so concerned over cycleways that cost $2m per Km will be up in arms about this latest announcement...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why don't we compromise and add the extra lane but also have it blocked by bollards that only get removed at holiday season so they can be a cycleway the rest of the year

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Labour should counter by saying that the new highway will let the ram raid gangs come from up north more quickly.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

It's a huge generalization that contradicts some of these stories, but I feel like the comedy scene in NZ has improved greatly in the last 10-15 years. Generally sets are more original, good natured and less humiliating, the performers support each other more (looking from the outside at least), the audiences contain a smaller portion of sloshed farmers, and the material is often insightful as well as funny. If I had been an adult in the 90's, I'd probably never have bothered going to any gigs.

the documentary series "funny as" is pretty good and IIRC goes into this a bit

ep 1 (also on tvnz streaming):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbZRUbPwNI

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if instead of a second mt vic tunnel they instead did a tunnel under/north of the basin reserve i think it'd be pretty good actually

soil is probably pretty poo poo through there though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

northbound cars would go away and the reserve itself wouldn't be an island in a sea of traffic anymore

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Progressive JPEG posted:

if instead of a second mt vic tunnel they instead did a tunnel under/north of the basin reserve i think it'd be pretty good actually

i can see my (old) house!

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

What if, and hear me out here, what if they just improved public transport and cycling options instead?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ledge posted:

What if, and hear me out here, what if they just improved public transport and cycling options instead?

That's communism

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Slavvy posted:

That's communism

And that's just terrible

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

That's communism

I thought that was starving to death and/or getting gulag'd for jokes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I thought that was starving to death and/or getting gulag'd for jokes

no need to limit it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Slavvy posted:

That's communism

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

Nah they should bring back the flyover option

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ain't Norway largely funding those policies a la big ol' oil wells, same as Saudi Arabia?

Admittedly, there is a lot to be said for NordPolitik, but joining the EU strained their welfare structures pretty drat bad from what my Suomen mates tell me.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Secondary teachers should get 14.5 percent pay rise, arbitration panel recommends. As it is looking more likely that National/ACT is the next government and they will probably attempt to privatise education, would the teachers in the thread vote for this?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

That reminds me, I heard some (primary?) teachers are moaning that their union payouts are being taxed at 50%. Anyone know why that would be, or are they just exaggerating because its 33% plus student loan and kiwisaver or something

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Possibly that and IRD looking at PAYE period to period as if you got paid that much every time?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Progressive JPEG posted:

just go through it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
56 Fleur Fitzsimons (Rongotai)

Labour releases party list for 2023 election https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/494829/labour-releases-party-list-for-2023-election

labour must be confident that jag won't win

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

the documentary series "funny as" is pretty good and IIRC goes into this a bit

ep 1 (also on tvnz streaming):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbZRUbPwNI

Yeah I read the book a while ago. Standup in the 90s sounded like hell.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

exmarx posted:

56 Fleur Fitzsimons (Rongotai)

Labour releases party list for 2023 election https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/494829/labour-releases-party-list-for-2023-election

labour must be confident that jag won't win

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

Secondary teachers should get 14.5 percent pay rise, arbitration panel recommends. As it is looking more likely that National/ACT is the next government and they will probably attempt to privatise education, would the teachers in the thread vote for this?

Both parties went to arbitration on the condition that they would accept the recommendations. I think the union still technically has to ratify it, but yeah it's pretty much a done deal.

I hope the dumbasses in NZEI who voted to accept our deal enjoy knowing that PPTA are getting $2k more than them in the payout. We should never have voted to accept.

And National won't privatise education. This National govt has a way less radical education reform agenda than what John Key got elected with, and his government didn't manage to do much of their poo poo. ACT want their usual insane voucher system and to bring back charter schools again, but lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ledge posted:

that would be a benefit of this yes

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Progressive JPEG posted:

The soil is incredibly poo poo!

There's a reason it's called the Basin:

quote:

The reserve had originally been a shallow lagoon linked to the harbour by a stream. However, the 1855 earthquake lifted Te Aro Flat two metres, and two years later a group of citizens succeeded in getting the provincial government to set the land aside as a cricket ground and public park.

This is why that bit of land and Kent/Cambridge Terrace (the old stream) look so weird.

The original plan was to make it deeper and turn it into a canal/port/drydock. Until the earthquake put the kibosh on that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh, funky.

Always had an interest in soils, what with there being a phosphate pinch predicted for a good decade.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Penny Simmons keeps banging the drum of reversing the Te Pukenga merger but good luck with that at this point.
Would be nice if she could keep the SIT zero fee structure in place though, I'm all for cheaper education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Do you know when you see a headline and can predict with 100% certainty which moron wrote it?

quote:

Sorry Spain, Palmerston North is anything but boring