Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nerd Poker is worth listening to if only for Blaine’s show sponsor bits like McDonald’s After Dark- McRibbed for her pleasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lamuella posted:

Like, the game is well played and the story is well told, but they lean into a few tropes in the setting that are just a bit uncomfortable (having too good a time at being racist to half orcs, laughing too much at the idea that half orcs are almost always the product of rape, that kind of thing). I'm told it gets much better later, I'm just wondering if it's worth me skipping, like, fifty episodes and seeing.

They really do back off that sort of thing later on. It's still pretty bro-y, but they make a conscious effort to not do that type of lore anymore. I'd say skip to about 40 and try it out. Fifty had some big stuff happen that needs some buildup but 40 is pretty similar to the rest of the show.

Their other shows are really good and avoid it as well, they're doing a new one for Quest for the Frozen Flame AP that's been incredible so far and has a more varied cast. Same with the New Game Who Dis stuff they did during the pandemic with other systems.

Snowy posted:

Nerd Poker is worth listening to if only for Blaine’s show sponsor bits like McDonald’s After Dark- McRibbed for her pleasure

Does their patreon go all the way back to the beginning? I'm looking for a new one to binge while I'm working and I can't seem to find a good place to setup a playlist with just Nerd Poker episodes.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 8, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Glass Cannon explicitly said that's not content they'd do anymore (and said so years ago at this point), so it's something they're definitely aware of. For me the bigger problem was that I thought they picked a really boring adventure path to run, so I always sort of meant to get back to their stuff with Starfinder or another adventure path, but I just sort of never got around to it. At this point I'd probably just listen to one of their shorter Presents campaigns to take on a less daunting amount of content if anything, but I'm just now getting into RPPR so it might be a while.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Can anyone think of an example of an Actual Play, either a podcast or a streamed game, in which safety tools get used during play rather than setup? Someone using script change, or the X-card, and the resulting discussion or realignment of the fiction. I can't think of a single example, and obviously there's a reason for that, these shows are always trying to make the gaming table look frictionless in a way that real tables absolutely are not, but it would be nice to know which AP groups have the... Integrity? To show how the sausage gets made.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
None that I can think of, and I doubt it’s because these podcasts want to create a fictional game space without conflict and more if you had content that needed to have in the moment safety tools used you probably don’t want to be exposing your listeners to it either. And like, in times where I’ve had to use those tools in games I’d really like to not publish my discomfort for public consumption either.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
My guess is Actual Play groups are made of people who have played RPGs together for a long time, and generally know what the rest of the table will tolerate and accept.

I would expect safety tools to get more use at convention games where a group of strangers are playing together for the first time. So if that's what you're after, I'd try searching for recorded con games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

mellonbread posted:

My guess is Actual Play groups are made of people who have played RPGs together for a long time, and generally know what the rest of the table will tolerate and accept.

I would expect safety tools to get more use at convention games where a group of strangers are playing together for the first time. So if that's what you're after, I'd try searching for recorded con games.

Not necessarily. One-Shot, for example, is specifically a rotating format with only a few regulars. Many of the people they have on are friends of the hosts but many are e.g. demonstrating their new game or otherwise new to the show. And there's been others I've listened to like that.

But also frankly safety tools are not just for playing with strangers. I agree that they're more likely to come up at con games but AP podcasts that aren't using them with long-term groups probably should still consider doing so and especially if they play anything that's likely to push at boundaries - D&D probably not so much. Bluebeard's Bride...well.

That said, I can't think of any examples either, just one very public example of things going catastrophically wrong because safety tools were not used (Far Verona season 2...)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Any podcast Actual Play that isn't raw audio would, I assume, edit out the parts where someone had to use a safety tool in the same way they'd edit out anything else that stopped the flow of the game.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The closest I can think is some of the behind the scenes episodes Friends at the Table has put on the patreon, where they talk about some of that stuff coming up midsession or after the session. Although as far as I remember, its never anything super serious, but there has been one or twice where things got out of tone, and they stopped and redid the scene.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I want to say it's come up in a couple of actual plays in Evil Hat Productions YouTube channel, creatively named 'Actual Play'. But I wouldn't be able to point to specific videos. More along the lines of, 'can we retcon something I just said because I don't like the implications of it,' than anything distressing for someone.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 6, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Branson Reese has talked about a Rude Tales Of Magic where he briefly stopped the recording because he thought that (I think) Ali Fisher was getting traumatised by something in the game, and her response was "what the gently caress, Branson? I was RPing!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I finally finished Androids and Aliens. I know some people here also heard it so this is the only place to post about a bit in the middle of the finale
Man I have been there, where I have shown up under the pretense there would not be combat to roleplay and had the roleplay sprung on me. I would like to think for the most part I handled it better than the players but I can definitely think of one time I did not so I so relate. Basically the GM told me to roll and I said "NO" which they did not have much response to, luckily we got over it and kind of like this instance the combat was fine with good tension, I should have trusted the GM.

The vignette at the end was really wonderful and truly captured what the show was. I'm sad it's over but that was a great finale.

I did not successfully finish it before Palisade started but I got as close as I could. I am definitely going to try the Rise of the Runelords patreon episodes they have and see if I like them and this is finally my path to hearing that game completed.

Kestral posted:

Can anyone think of an example of an Actual Play, either a podcast or a streamed game, in which safety tools get used during play rather than setup? Someone using script change, or the X-card, and the resulting discussion or realignment of the fiction. I can't think of a single example, and obviously there's a reason for that, these shows are always trying to make the gaming table look frictionless in a way that real tables absolutely are not, but it would be nice to know which AP groups have the... Integrity? To show how the sausage gets made.

Along with the mentioned Friends at the Table example, it gets used here and there in the Party of One podcast. Episode 366 is the most recent in memory, I think, but basically one of the beats suggested was about conflict due to being closeted (in a game specifically about the relationship of the players) and Jeff X carded it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rick posted:

I did not successfully finish it before Palisade started but I got as close as I could. I am definitely going to try the Rise of the Runelords patreon episodes they have and see if I like them and this is finally my path to hearing that game completed.

Along with the mentioned Friends at the Table example, it gets used here and there in the Party of One podcast. Episode 366 is the most recent in memory, I think, but basically one of the beats suggested was about conflict due to being closeted (in a game specifically about the relationship of the players) and Jeff X carded it.

Blood of the Wild has been incredibly good so far. It just started in January but the players are really going whole hog with character and story and it's working. Also, one of the players does a wonderful mammoth impression.

For the X-card/safety tools being seen, like someone said I think a lot gets edited out of an audio only podcast and for Twitch games I think the ones I watch do it in a side chat. I watched the Black Dice Society, and there was always a bit at the start about how they have safety tools, but really all you'd see is the scene just suddenly shifts if someone used them. Saying to your friends or to a small group of people "hey, this topic is something I don't want" is a lot different than doing it on a stream where there would be endless speculation and reddit threads and all that bullshit if you did it publicly.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Lamuella posted:

The whole of the Children's Adventure for Worlds Beyond Number just dropped on Patreon. Seven episodes focused on character development.

Are those the same episodes that are being released to the public feed or are they more flashback to the trio's time spent at the cottage? I've been loving the production value and slow build, but I'm a bit nervous how much longer there is to go before they start playing anything approaching an actual game.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The Children's Adventure is an 8 episode mini-campaign/character building thing of the summer where the three meet as kids. It's only on the Patreon. The main feed is all them as adults.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, at this point on the main feed they're 3 episodes into the actual game and probably starting combat in the fourth.

The Children's Adventure is pure character stuff, essentially an extended version of the one episode each that got put on the main feed. Not essential for listening to the actual story, but with some really well put together moments.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Cool. I listened to the individual preludes (that have mysteriously vanished in favor of the combined one), skimmed through the combined one, and finished the first two episodes today. There's been a decent amount of overlap, which is fine and expected. Not everyone will listen to everything. And I know it can't all be fireworks factory, but actually getting to the fireworks factory has been an issue in a lot of the AP stuff I've consumed lately and even just a hint of combat on the horizon would be nice.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, at this point on the main feed they're 3 episodes into the actual game and probably starting combat in the fourth.

The Children's Adventure is pure character stuff, essentially an extended version of the one episode each that got put on the main feed. Not essential for listening to the actual story, but with some really well put together moments.

Where are you seeing the main campaign? I joined the patreon at the start and all i see is the preludes and the children's adventure with some fireside chats. Did i miss something very obvious?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, the Patreon feed is fully separate from the main feed. You have to go to the main feed for the actual episodes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Where are you seeing the main campaign? I joined the patreon at the start and all i see is the preludes and the children's adventure with some fireside chats. Did i miss something very obvious?

Main campaign is on the public feed. Which I think is a tactical error on their part.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

For real. I'm pretty annoyed that being on the Patreon doesn't get me ad free episodes. The Children's campaign was great and the fireside chats are funny, but I will probably drop my Patreon pledge fairly soon if they don't put out some kind of decent, recurring benefit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kestral posted:

The goon run Paranoia campaign (that just finished up) had some stuff kind of adjacent to this. Nothing where the players were uncomfortable with the content, but fourth wall breaking stuff where they either had to retcon some poo poo (including a hilarious instance where a player completely misunderstood what they were supposed to be doing and went thermonuclear) or bleep stuff out that the cast said knowing the GM would have to cut to annoy him.

The GM also regularly goes into detail about behind the scenes stuff and just general advice on running games.

It was both very honest and hilarious.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Main campaign is on the public feed. Which I think is a tactical error on their part.

What the making GBS threads gently caress.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A few years back I started a campaign that I gave up on and I'm looking for it now. I think it was recommended here. I don't remember anything about it, other than one of the characters was a Warforged Barbarian, and the conceit was that the 'rage' was a switch on his back that he couldn't physical reach and needed another character to activate. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Hughlander posted:

A few years back I started a campaign that I gave up on and I'm looking for it now. I think it was recommended here. I don't remember anything about it, other than one of the characters was a Warforged Barbarian, and the conceit was that the 'rage' was a switch on his back that he couldn't physical reach and needed another character to activate. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cast Party had an episode with Thomas Sanders playing a warforged barbarian called B.R.A.D. and that might be it. I haven't listened to it.

https://twitter.com/CastPartyDND/status/1503102333605011469

Alternatively there's a warforged barbarian PC in RollDiceRepeat. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/rolldicerepeat/id1636184064

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

No to both. Was definitely in it from episode 1 and was pre pandemic but sometime 2019 or 2020 is when I listened. It started with them sneaking into a party as the help.

Edit: it is Join The Party campaign 1.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 12, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dimension 20 are doing a series where Brennan is GMing for drag queens, which is amazing.

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1669397607926333450

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

naddpod is as good as it's ever been and is doing extremely well

I think there's an inevitable thing that happens with actual play podcasts when they switch campaigns. The new campaign is an adjustment, and causes comparison. There's a temptation for groups to decide to do something different than what made them popular in the first place. I think Eldermourne was a big tone shift for the podcast, and didn't gel well with their strengths (goofy improvisational humor). Campaign 3 is much closer to Campaign 1, and I think fits them better. That said, I did enjoy Eldermourne over all, but liked the Jabari stuff the most.

People are also wildly demanding about their actual play media. People want main campaign content every week, but that's a huge lift for a small team. I think they've done an interesting job of trying to diversify their episodes with Dungeon Court and some 8 bit book club stuff. I mean, I enjoy the four of them enough I'll happily listen to the dumbest of bits (M&M taste test for example).

tl;dr: I agree.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 16, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also:

I'm making my way through D20's Neverafter, and really enjoying it. I wasn't sure about the first few episodes but now I'm hooked.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Erika Ishii's first DMing is up on the patreon now. Brennan is playing a chicken, Aabria a miniature goat and Lou a retired race horse. They are doing a heist at a county fare. It's fantastic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Erika Ishii's first DMing is up on the patreon now. Brennan is playing a chicken, Aabria a miniature goat and Lou a retired race horse. They are doing a heist at a county fare. It's fantastic.

This is amazing so far. The email scam on the cops is just next level bullshit

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Pretending to Be People posted a fun little meet the crew-esque promo and im using this as an excuse to shill them some more, they play a heavily homebrewed version of Delta Green and it's a lot of fun, highlights of the podcast include some incredible mood setting music, great story/characters, and the fact they play a closed game (usually when the players split up or 1 person out of the crew see something others don't the others leave the room, leading to some amazing moments because of what players do/don't know about what happened to others.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNyGykIrwWA

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Detheros posted:

Pretending to Be People posted a fun little meet the crew-esque promo and im using this as an excuse to shill them some more, they play a heavily homebrewed version of Delta Green and it's a lot of fun, highlights of the podcast include some incredible mood setting music, great story/characters, and the fact they play a closed game (usually when the players split up or 1 person out of the crew see something others don't the others leave the room, leading to some amazing moments because of what players do/don't know about what happened to others.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNyGykIrwWA

As ever, they don't look anything like I imagined them.

Good podcast, btw, I second the rec.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I've just finished campaign one, and it's great.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Megazver posted:

As ever, they don't look anything like I imagined them.

Good podcast, btw, I second the rec.

I had Thomas and Zach switched. Joe I both didn't expect and said "yeah that tracks" at the same time. Luke matches real well however.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Anyone have any good recommendations for actual plays of World Wide Wrestling that aren't the Six Feats Under or One Shot series? I've listened to those ones multiple times but would like to see what else is out there.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Shuffle Quest did a few episodes, no real narrative context needed and featuring the creator of the game

https://pca.st/episode/fa8f7c3a-2f48-44d2-9497-64faf19d2214

https://pca.st/episode/ad110310-25af-4f45-92e1-2baaa70c367e

https://pca.st/episode/6a5be6b8-eb40-4b61-a8f3-449ef9a276cf

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
On the game’s page at npdesign.com Nathan has a list of various outlets that have done AP that isn’t completely comprehensive but has a lot of different groups including the Six Feats Under game. Also a twitch game I ran for a bit if you want to watch how not to run the game I guess.

Friends at the Table also did a pretty good single session of it that was patreon exclusive until it was recently restreamed and posted on the FatT YouTube page.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the FatT one shot is incredible if only for the stable where everyone is based on jay-z listing different monsters in his verse on Monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lumbermouth posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for actual plays of World Wide Wrestling that aren't the Six Feats Under or One Shot series? I've listened to those ones multiple times but would like to see what else is out there.

Jeff on Party of One plays this game a few times with various people and also a dozen other wrestling games. And he has actually tied a lot of these games together with his various specials.